When do you think humans will achieve immortality?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Drasonak (1509 posts) -

As some may know, the presence of God has dipped over the years. While there were tons of apparitions in the Middle Ages to kings and other leaders, now it seems limited to poor people who aren't obsessed with material value.

Yes, it's inevitable that humans will continue playing God (we've already achieved cloning, vaccines that change the body's immune system, have artificial hearts and other organs, prostetic legs and arms, etc.). I'm just wondering when the final nail will be. It will never be "too much for humans." Our greed will always overlook what is right.

Everyone here will call me crazy. Go ahead. But 200 years ago, anastethics for women during childbirth were frowned upon because it's God's punishment to women for Eve disobeying him. He wants women to suffer during childbirth. You say that's ridiculous? Well, when it was first introduced, doctors agreed. And had you artificially extended someone's life they way we do now with medicine and artificial organs, people would be outraged. Now no one cares.

Let me ask you all this: Why do people say that modern society is "going downhill" if everyone's open to treatment like this? Surely they realize the behavior and attitudes of people centuries ago were much different towards technology? Even Mother Theresa did not like modern medicine, and she's considered the greatest person of the 20th century.

Well, what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by tocool340 (20445 posts) -

Never hopefully....unless I accidentally achieve it....:P

Rich people would probably be the only people who receive the treatment. And if it falls into the wrong hands (i.e. suicide bombers or Hitler type lunatics) that could be catastrophic for everyone...

#4 Posted by undergroundLPx (641 posts) -

I already have, and I am not joking.

#5 Posted by thegerg (14586 posts) -
Never. I reckon it's pretty much impossible.
#6 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
Hopefully never.
#7 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Never unless we stop all future child births. If nobody died, the earth would overpopulate within a few years.

#8 Posted by Stesilaus (3285 posts) -

The pets of the rich will know immortality before the poor do.

#9 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6651 posts) -

#10 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

Never.

#11 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
When we produce a system of digital memory that does not degrade over time, and are able to upload our consciousness to this storage media.
#12 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

No but we will live longer lives, depending on the progress of modern medicine.

#13 Posted by Darthkaiser (12443 posts) -
I don't think inmortality will be achieved but I do think by the end of this century the human lifespan will be SEVERELY increased
#14 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

When science says so

#15 Posted by tocool340 (20445 posts) -
When we produce a system of digital memory that does not degrade over time, and are able to upload our consciousness to this storage media.Zeviander
I don't like that idea because if someone mistakenly hit a quick format button, all those peoples consciousness that got uploaded are pretty much doomed. Hell, if someone can find a way to hack and manipulate someones conscious, they pretty much can reprogram people similar to inception with adding an idea into someones head...
#16 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

never, nothing, not even the universe is forever

#17 Posted by Bloodseeker23 (8338 posts) -
The time we accept death with open arms.
#18 Posted by MrMr-x2 (88 posts) -
When we produce a system of digital memory that does not degrade over time, and are able to upload our consciousness to this storage media.Zeviander
That digital copy is not you, Its just a copy of you.
#19 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
There will never be immortality, but extremely long life spans of a couple hundred years may be just a century away.
#20 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Biological Immortality we can defiantly achieve and I believe it will happen within the next few hundred years as long as we don't go extinct or revert way back in technology for whatever reason but true immortality will take a very long time if ever we would need to modify our bodies to where nothing in the universe including supernova explosions could destroy our bodies and we could survive in any environment like the center of as black hole or the surface of a star.

#21 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Never

#22 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

never. the Illuminati and other elitist groups have poisoned the air you breath, the food you eat, everything. they will make sure that you do not live forever and you ever find immortality they will assassinateyou............

and i base this on absolutely nothing with a little influence from ancient aliens

#23 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
That digital copy is not you, Its just a copy of you.MrMr-x2
The evidence we currently have suggests that what we "are" (consciously) is just a series of electrical impulses in the brain. Electrical impulses much the same to our digital binary storage method. If you think there is something "more" to it, then prove it.
#24 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I don't think humans are ever going to be able to gain immortality. Will the average lifespan increase? Definitely. But people will always be mortal.

#25 Posted by blizzard158 (70 posts) -

Anyone else thinking Ghost in the shell? being able to take a brain and put it into a robot body? have like a cyberbrain?

Might not be immortality, but is the closest i can see us getting for a long period

#26 Posted by soulless4now (41359 posts) -

I hope not. We just need zombies to make the world go round.

#27 Posted by thegerg (14586 posts) -

No. There is no storage system that can not be destroyed. Once that system ceases to exist, so does life. Thus, no immortality.

#28 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]When we produce a system of digital memory that does not degrade over time, and are able to upload our consciousness to this storage media.thegerg

No. There is no storage system that can not be destroyed. Once that system ceases to exist, so does life. Thus, no immortality.

You can make a new storage system to switch over to.
#29 Posted by thegerg (14586 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]When we produce a system of digital memory that does not degrade over time, and are able to upload our consciousness to this storage media.Laihendi

You can make a new storage system to switch over to.

A system that is indestructible?
#30 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
It doesn't have to be. You just need to switch to a new medium before the old one is destroyed. Like copying a VHS tape to a DVD before it gets worn out.
#31 Posted by gamerguru100 (10450 posts) -

Never hopefully....unless I accidentally achieve it....:P

Rich people would probably be the only people who receive the treatment. And if it falls into the wrong hands (i.e. suicide bombers or Hitler type lunatics) that could be catastrophic for everyone...

tocool340
#32 Posted by zpluffy (240 posts) -

We can achieve immortality if we are able to bend time. If we reverse each actions of our body's elements, and do this before a body fully degrade, we would not be able to reach the end of our lives. Since time is now experimentally proven as an entity or thing, NOT a universal 'thing' that unaffected by extraterrestrial force; it would be possible.

#33 Posted by johnd13 (7889 posts) -

I don't think humans are ever going to be able to gain immortality. Will the average lifespan increase? Definitely. But people will always be mortal.

Vari3ty

My thoughts too. Maybe in the future people will get to live for many centuries but that' s it. Anything more will probably require a fusion between organics and synthetics.

#34 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
Who can say?
#35 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

Hopefully never.

#36 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I'm already immortal.

#37 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
When there are few humans left and the next evolved species decides that they need to experiment on the last living human specimens.
#38 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
There's reasons why immortality would not be possible/allowed. But I do believe it'd be possible to expand human life.
#39 Posted by Crushmaster (4320 posts) -

We'll never obtain it because of sin. However, our souls are immortal. That is why the question in my signature is so important.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

#40 Posted by hippiesanta (9755 posts) -
I believe rich person like micheal jacksoon didn't achieve it.
#41 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12763 posts) -

Biological Immortality we can defiantly achieve and I believe it will happen within the next few hundred years as long as we don't go extinct or revert way back in technology for whatever reason but true immortality will take a very long time if ever we would need to modify our bodies to where nothing in the universe including supernova explosions could destroy our bodies and we could survive in any environment like the center of as black hole or the surface of a star.

DJ_Headshot

Immortality = ageless

Invincible = indestructible

I think they may be able to halt or slow physical aging, but I think it's going to take far longer to figure out how to deal with mental deterioration. Of course at that point you're probably talking about human/machine hybreds.:o

#42 Posted by Jethawk11 (304 posts) -

Maybe not true immortality, but I do believe that humans will eventually get to the point where they will have extremely long life spans.

#43 Posted by pariah3 (964 posts) -

Immortality is a wet dream. It wil never be possible for humans to achieve immorality.

Also I don't think anyone has the right to expect to live forever. Because eventually everyone must die. I don't think that I like people who think they have the right to live forever. It's selfish thinking

The problem is that we humans have very big egos. We think we are so important, we think we have the right to live forever and we think we are worth preserving. But fact is we are not.

#44 Posted by comp_atkins (31180 posts) -
the day after i die
#45 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10687 posts) -

Nope. Lifespans will be increased sure as time goes on, but immortality?

#46 Posted by comp_atkins (31180 posts) -
how about "practical immortality"? meaning billions of current human lifespans. not strict immorality ( literally living forever, even beyond the demise of the universe )
#47 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -
Do you really want to live forever? We are here for the experience, learning life through a physical form (enrich our souls/spirits) then move on. Don't waste it and make your time here meaningful.
#48 Posted by comp_atkins (31180 posts) -
Do you really want to live forever? We are here for the experience, learning life through a physical form (enrich our souls/spirits) then move on. Don't waste it and make your time here meaningful.bnarmz
i'd want to live long enough to explore a hell of a lot more than our little particle of dust in our solar system... living for such a blip of time relative to the universe around seems like such a ripoff :P
#49 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

We'll never obtain it because of sin. However, our souls are immortal. That is why the question in my signature is so important.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

Crushmaster
Do you have any evidence to support your claims?