When did Best Buy become so horrible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by masterdante (1497 posts) -

I used to love Best Buy. You would walk in and see a wall of new release blu-rays, some great deals, tech products and games! Now i walk in and see Hello Kitty nook covers, waterproof watches, Keurig water filter packs and New England Patriots mugs. They dont even have a new release Blu-Ray section, they just throw them into the now anemic movie section. Its also nearly impossible to find a game on the shelf on the week its released, and asking employees is like asking a 5 year old to explain string theory. It seems like they have no clue who is shopping there, and they certainly enjoy only having one person on register while the other 50 employees walk around asking if you need help looking for a TV. I cant tell you how many times ive seen people waiting in line just put down what they were going to buy and walk out because of how few employees they have available to ring. Best Buy was pretty much my last go to for going out and getting a movie, but it more and more seems like its time to just go full time amazon.com :/

#2 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

When people discovered Amazon.com was cheaper.

#3 Posted by comp_atkins (31284 posts) -
shortly after the internet was invented..
#4 Posted by tocool340 (20491 posts) -
Eh? Best Buy still has the stuff you mention around here...:?
#5 Posted by lamprey263 (23305 posts) -
they got horrible when they tried following GameStop's used game sales, they no longer keep their game shelves full of older titles at cheaper prices like they did last gen, however they do price match which I've found great, since GameStop after time drops game prices to $20 for new copies (when they actually have no new inventory) Best Buy will match that price and they'll have inventory since they'll still be trying to sell the game for $60, and they don't make a fuss price matching it only reason I ever seem to go there in the last few years is if someone gives me a gift card, but that's kind of it
#6 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

The problem with Best Buy is they try to gouge every customer that walks in the door.

#7 Posted by Pittfan666 (8532 posts) -
They are pinching pennies in order to survive.
#8 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

I only use them to recycle my old electronic devices.

#9 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

I liked them back when their 3-year unconditional replacement plan was actually unconditional and wasn't the same price as the thing you were buying from them.

Back then: Pay $30 and get a guaranteed, brand-new replacement device of equal or MORE value (laptop, etc...) without any questions, when turning in your old one.

Today: Pay $299 for a 3-year plan to cover your $300 laptop.

Yea, um... NO.

#10 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23307 posts) -
I think it is the best buy in your area that sucks. The best buy we have here is pretty good in comparison. There is always at least 1 person at the register and the new releases have their own little spot. I do agree, however, most lack some knowledge in their area of "expertise".
#11 Posted by Dogswithguns (10709 posts) -
All shopping centers are closing... why not BestBuy too?!
#12 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15942 posts) -

The Best Buy 30 minutes away is okay. The Best Buy 1.5 hours away is awesome.

#13 Posted by monkeytoes61 (8339 posts) -
I still make larger purchases at Best Buy. Laptops, TVs, etc.
#14 Posted by wis3boi (31188 posts) -

I use them for stuff like headphones or a monitor.

#15 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
Bout five years ago. Dang creeping arounders following me.
#16 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

few years back...

find it funny i can run in hh&greg and same product on shelf for same price yet i can easily coach dude giving me a cut  and walk out with a t.v 100 bucks cheaper...

#17 Posted by DevilMightCry (3493 posts) -
I have had the same problem in several best buys recently. 1 person at register and awfully slow, but tons of sales people roaming around.
#18 Posted by bigfoot2045 (773 posts) -

They were always horrible. They had a crappy selection and charged MSRP for everything. With the internet being what it currently is, there's no reason anyone with a brain would shop there. 

#19 Posted by Floridaman46 (250 posts) -

I think it is the best buy in your area that sucks. The best buy we have here is pretty good in comparison. There is always at least 1 person at the register and the new releases have their own little spot. I do agree, however, most lack some knowledge in their area of "expertise". F22_King_Raptor

+1 My BB is always busy. I like going there. I would hate to see BB close up shop.

#20 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Netherscourge

I love when threads are answered so well with the first response.:P

#21 Posted by lightleggy (15910 posts) -
I agree. Last time I went to best buy, I was looking for a good unlocked phone...they just had like 3 models and were extremely overpriced and oudated.
#22 Posted by Pittfan666 (8532 posts) -
I still make larger purchases at Best Buy. Laptops, TVs, etc.monkeytoes61
Couldn't pay me to buy a laptop or pc from Best Buy. Horrendous customer service and prices.
#23 Posted by megagene (22998 posts) -
Best Buy has been dead to me ever since they starting trying to sell HDMI cables for over $50. The worst part is there are still plebs who fall for that crap.
#24 Posted by nightcall14 (607 posts) -
They were decent while Circuit City was around for them to compete with. Once they ran Circuit City out of business they thought they could price gouge and get away with it but everyone started to go online for better deals and Best Buy still wants to price gouge.
#25 Posted by Allicrombie (25150 posts) -
#26 Posted by xdude85 (4361 posts) -
Best Buy was always expensive, hence the reason why I never shopped there.
#27 Posted by CreatureRising (1530 posts) -

The Best Buy 30 minutes away is okay. The Best Buy 1.5 hours away is awesome.

jun_aka_pekto

I have the same issue, no joke.  

#28 Posted by arkephonic (6244 posts) -

I really like Best Buy.  Is the games section organized?  No.  Do the employees know anything about anything?  No.  It's our job as consumers to find out what we want before we go in and find it while we're there.  The thing I like about Best Buy is their policies.  I have literally saved thousands of dollars price matching, even to the extent of bringing in 60 day old receipts when either Best Buy.com or some other store reduces the price of the product I bought.  They always honor it and don't even ask questions.  Plus, they always have great deals on games.  They're my go to store for retail, Amazon for everything else.

#29 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Their Magnolia center is cool.

#30 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
Everything on Amazon is always much cheaper. It's why all the book stores are dead too. Why should I drive to a store to pay twice as much?
#31 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11281 posts) -
Best Buy was never that great to begin with. Fry's is where it's at. yo.
#32 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Netherscourge
Who the F-- uses Best buy?
#33 Posted by bigfoot2045 (773 posts) -

I really like Best Buy.  Is the games section organized?  No.  Do the employees know anything about anything?  No.  It's our job as consumers to find out what we want before we go in and find it while we're there.  The thing I like about Best Buy is their policies.  I have literally saved thousands of dollars price matching, even to the extent of bringing in 60 day old receipts when either Best Buy.com or some other store reduces the price of the product I bought.  They always honor it and don't even ask questions.  Plus, they always have great deals on games.  They're my go to store for retail, Amazon for everything else.

arkephonic

Even with them price matching other brick and mortar places, I guarantee you Amazon and NewEgg are still cheaper.