indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

When you are enjoying a movie in a packed theatre (Can't change seats easily) and a baby starts crying behind you, her parents also trying to make the child stop crying but unable, would it be rude to ask the parents to get the child outside till the child calm downs? Last time i told i'm getting disturbed, dad got angry saying to give the couple a break as its a baby.

What would you do in such situation OT?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I have never had a baby crying in theater. When I was a baby I guess i did it though. My mom took me outside and my dad stayed and I hear everyone clapped as she left lol.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i don't think it's rude, but i would probably choose to be patient and let the parents deal with it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Honestly I think it's rude to bring babies into a movie...not the other way around. If I was watching a movie and a baby started crying in the middle of it I would go ask the movie attendants to have the parents either go outside until the baby calms down, or leave altogether.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

you shouldn't be bringing infants into crowded movie theaters in the first place but if it does make a lot of noise, at least have the courtesy to leave the theater until the child settles down. other people paid to see the movie too.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

I would give them a minute or two, then do the turnaround and look deal. If it continued I would politely ask if they could step outside. If they refused I would get management.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

No reason to take a baby to the theatre to begin with, so while I'd give them a minute or 2 to make the child stop crying, I would definitely say something if it kept going.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@solidruss said:

I would give them a minute or two, then do the turnaround and look deal. If it continued I would politely ask if they could step outside. If they refused I would get management.

I won't look as a heartless person if i call seat usher or management in such situation yeah? You know lots of people around tolerate also in such situation and might get wrong impression of me. Last time i went quiet when dad refused as nobody around seemed to mind it much/ disturbed as much as me lol.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:

i don't think it's rude, but i would probably choose to be patient and let the parents deal with it.

This is the Brittish way, be patient and polite.

I would say something, but I'd wait a long time before I do

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Anyone with a baby ought to know that they're more receptable to sounds then adults, which means if you take it along to the cinema where loud noises are abundant, then it will likely be scared, cry and distrupt in a worse manner then those with cell phones.

Common Courtesy would dictate that you just don't do it out of respect for the others who's paid to see the movie and their infant who's not going to have a good time.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Even worse is when you're on a plane and there's a child that just doesn't get quiet. I really don't mind a child crying be it in a theater or a plane as long as I reckon that the parents are doing their best to calm the baby. But if I turn around and see the child crying while his father/mother is taking a nap then that's outrageous.

Besides that guy at the theater was certainly a douche. I don't care what your "situation" is. Whenever you are disturbing others you HAVE to apologize even if it's not your fault.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Don't bring babies to movie theaters. If you have to, then at least get out until it stops crying. It's actually looked down upon for parents that do this crap.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Never been in this situation. I think most people are smart enough not to bring babies to the movie theater. If they do though tell those parents to shut that baby the **** up! God babies are terrible. They look weird too.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
@korvus said:

No reason to take a baby to the theatre to begin with, so while I'd give them a minute or 2 to make the child stop crying, I would definitely say something if it kept going.

/thread.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think its rude to bring a baby to the theater when its very crowded. However, I don't think its rude in general to bring a baby to a theater. That's like saying its rude to show your baby in public at all. If your're a parent and want to do something, you shouldn't have to feel shackled to home because of a baby.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

They don't allow babies at my theater.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By comp_atkins

@JangoWuzHere said:

I think its rude to bring a baby to the theater when its very crowded. However, I don't think its rude in general to bring a baby to a theater. That's like saying its rude to show your baby in public at all. If your're a parent and want to do something, you shouldn't have to feel shackled to home because of a baby.

get a sitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@JangoWuzHere said:

I don't think its rude in general to bring a baby to a theater. That's like saying its rude to show your baby in public at all.

No, it's not. It's like saying it's rude to bring a child whose silence you cannot guarantee into a place where silence is expected. If you feel up to a movie but you have a baby, either get a babysitter or rent a movie.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@solidruss said:

Pretty much this.
It only happened to me once, though. And they managed to shut him up before getting to the get management step. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Any time there's a crying baby in a theater the parents have taken the child out.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Why the hell would you bring your baby in a movie theatre? Morons...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

what's a baby doing at a movie?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Normally people here take the baby outside to calme down. i never took my babies to the movies for that reason, i waited till they were old enough to sit and enjoy the movie. Also if you tell the manager, they will give you free tickets to come back another time. Pretty cool .

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@solidruss said:

This is the most civil way to handle the situation. I would do the same if necessary. In my experience, nighttime is usually good for avoiding families with infants altogether.

Just a tip

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

No, it would be rude if the parents didn't take the crying little bastard out of the theater.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44547 Posts

Only two times in the last ten years have I ever had a crying baby in the theater with me. One was at a smaller theater and this couple had their baby and they took it out into the hall once but it wouldn't stop crying in the theater and the mom wanted to watch the movie so she brought it back inside still crying. So someone went and told the staff and the staff came in to ask them to leave and the man in the group blew up like "you all are a bunch of jews!!" (the guy was black BTW).

Once for work I had to fly to Minnesota, and I was staying around St. Paul / Minneapolis in a hotel that was only a shuttle ride away from Mall of America, and I went to see The Descent there. And someone in the theater brought a baby into the theater. And it wasn't noisy noisy, but it was starting to act up and make minor fussing noises. Then when the movie got loud it started crying, so the dad took it outside. He came back but it kept starting to act up. And some people started fussing like "shut the baby up" and the next thing I hear was a **slap**, not a loud heavy slap but a light one, but a slap nonetheless, the baby hushed for a second but then slowly started to make whiny noises then again **slap**, and that was it, the baby didn't make a peep the rest of the movie. But there was some giggling and gasping when that happened from people in the theater like "did that really just happen?".

Anyhow, kids do this stuff, that's just a fact of life. Babies are noisy, and children pretty much of any age are noisy, fucking teenagers are noisy. I don't blame parents for not locking themselves in their home until their kids are adults out of consideration for other people, that's a price too high to bare. Sure it's annoying, but they gotta try to get out at some point. And let's not act like everyone one of you weren't that kid with those parents at one time, maybe not at a movie but maybe elsewhere (restaurant, airplane, somewhere public being a nuisance to otheres).

They built a bar / movie theater near my home that was 21+ only audience. I liked it, kids can be bad but teenagers are far worse in their frequency to be annoying at movies, and going to the 21+ theater was like the best thing ever to going to a movie. Plus the food was actually good and modestly priced, and I could drink while watching a movie.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I would say "well you made a bad decision to bring a baby to a movie"

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JangoWuzHere

@comp_atkins said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

get a sitter

Who pays a babysitter just to go to a movie?

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I would throw things at the baby till the crying stops...

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere

@korvus said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I don't think its rude in general to bring a baby to a theater. That's like saying its rude to show your baby in public at all.

No, it's not. It's like saying it's rude to bring a child whose silence you cannot guarantee into a place where silence is expected. If you feel up to a movie but you have a baby, either get a babysitter or rent a movie.

Silence is expected in most establishments, but we don't tell parents to stay at home and never go out just because they have a baby.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@JangoWuzHere said:

Silence is expected in most establishments, but we don't tell parents to stay at home and never go out just because they have a baby.

You don't stay in most establishments for 3 hours trying to listen to conversations, do you?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 comp_atkins

@JangoWuzHere said:

@comp_atkins said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

get a sitter

considerate people

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JangoWuzHere

@korvus said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

You don't stay in most establishments for 3 hours trying to listen to conversations, do you?

It shouldn't matter what establishment. The importance of what your doing varies from place to place. You should have a level of tolerance with people. If it really gets out of control, then you tell them politely to leave. However, if you want to ban parents from the movies, then I don't understand how resturants, hospitals, planes, salons, and local stores should be any different.

@comp_atkins said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@comp_atkins said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

get a sitter

considerate people

Considerate people wouldn't expect others to pay 10$ an hour just to go out and do something.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

It would indeed be rude to do so, but they are being rude first by not taking the child out in the first place. I suppose the most you can do in that situation is ask as nicely as possible. The parents may consider you rude, but if it works so be it. Also you will have proven that two wrongs can make a right.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 comp_atkins
@JangoWuzHere said:

@comp_atkins said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@comp_atkins said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

get a sitter

considerate people

Considerate people wouldn't expect others to pay 10$ an hour just to go out and do something.

nor would they bring a noisemaker to a movie where hearing the events on screen, and not the wails of a child with inconsiderate parents, is an essential part of the experience

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dave123321

Yeah, not bringing a baby to a theater is the considerate thing to do. I mean it seems like such a simple concept to grasp. Sometimes we have to make personal sacrifices to not be a burden on others.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dave123321

And restaurants should also be treated the same way.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

The films at the cinema are pretty loud I can't imagine a baby crying louder than that, I guess it can be distracting though. I don't know why anyone would take a baby to the movies anyway unless it's a kids film. The parents should def take the baby out while it's crying it's not like they will be able to watch the film themselves with a screaming child on their lap.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Theaters around here have a strict policy banning anyone from bringing babies. The only thing that should ever make noise, inside a theater, are the speakers. I'd rather we allow dogs in public before kids and babies.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@wis3boi said:

what's a baby doing at a movie?

this.

And i have never heard a baby cry in a theater either (cuz i dont think i've ever been in one with a baby).

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I guess just grin and bear it. When you're out in public you should expect to have to put up with some distractions.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I would make it stop.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

I don't understand why people still bring babies to theaters. You can watch movies at home with no effort. Netflix IS a thing now. And if you absolutely MUST see some new release, why wouldn't you leave your kid with someone?

There is no reason to bring your baby to any movie, so I don't think giving someone with a crying baby the side eye or asking them to leave until the kid has stopped howling is rude at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@JangoWuzHere said:

It shouldn't matter what establishment. The importance of what your doing varies from place to place. You should have a level of tolerance with people. If it really gets out of control, then you tell them politely to leave. However, if you want to ban parents from the movies, then I don't understand how resturants, hospitals, planes, salons, and local stores should be any different.

You don't go to hospitals and local stores for entertainment....and if you have to fly with a baby you have to fly with a baby...but if your baby is really young and cries often, you should avoid prolonged stays in places you don't need to be and where you might be disturbing other people from enjoying themselves. I want to have children too, but I'm not going to shove my crying machines down everybody else's throat all the time...I signed up for it, not every else. I think it takes a really selfish person to say "**** it, I have to hear him cry all day, so why shouldn't you have to?"

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

I rarely go to theatre because i dont like crowded places

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JangoWuzHere

@korvus said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

You don't go to hospitals and local stores for entertainment....and if you have to fly with a baby you have to fly with a baby...but if your baby is really young and cries often, you should avoid prolonged stays in places you don't need to be and where you might be disturbing other people from enjoying themselves. I want to have children too, but I'm not going to shove my crying machines down everybody else's throat all the time...I signed up for it, not every else. I think it takes a really selfish person to say "**** it, I have to hear him cry all day, so why shouldn't you have to?"

If a baby is such a burden on everyone, then I don't see how a hospital or store is any different. Why not get a sitter? If you can obviously afford it, then you should hire one if you ever need to go out. It takes a really intolerant person to think that babies shouldn't be outside the home. Especially considering that babies are allowed by most establishments.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I would just be patient but I think any decent parent and human being would take the baby out of the theater till the crying stops. If they don't then you have every right to complain.