What's your opinion on Christmas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -

A materialistic holiday? A time to help others? Get drunk on eggnog?

#2 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29728 posts) -
Used to love it for the presents, still like those but also like it as a reason to get together with a bunch of my family. I live on the other side of the US from pretty much my whole family.
#3 Posted by konvikt_17 (22342 posts) -

i love christmas.

great family time.

decorating the house.

putting up and decorating the tree

christmas music throughout the house.

baking cookies.

homemade buckeyes

homemade chex mix.

just good times all around. the only real time we have alot of family time.

#4 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -
It's the most wonderful time of the year. With the kids jingle belling, and everyone telling you, "Be of good cheer," It's the most wonderful time of the year.
#5 Posted by dodgerblue13 (20845 posts) -
I love Christmas morning mass.
#6 Posted by KiIIyou (27154 posts) -
Good food, good robots making people happy.
#7 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (13693 posts) -
An enjoyable environment and atmosphere, in which I enjoy greatly. It is completely a materialistic holiday, regardless of the "true meaning of Christmas" is to some people.
#8 Posted by Dogswithguns (10914 posts) -
I love the spirits...
#9 Posted by Laihendi (5834 posts) -
I think it's a stupid tradition. People act like it's so important to be loving/caring/charitable/friendly/etc. on that one day out of the year. If they truly believed in being like that, and if they had integrity, they would act that way every day.
#10 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

I love Christmas. I'm not religious, but yesterday my mom and I stopped into the Salvation Army thrift store (jesus lovin' people, they had a display up with a bible open and pictures of jesus on the walls) and I actually found myself REALLY wanting some of the cute little tree decorations they had of camels and mangers and stuff. The Christmas story is, to me, just a story and has always been. It's the same as the Charlie Brown Christmas story to me, and it's a nice one to hear, even if I'm agnostic.

I think I love the holiday so much because it's a time when people can be happy and enjoy each other's company. Indulge in things, and spend quality time. I love buying gifts, getting gifts, baking, wrapping presents, decorating, the TV specials... It's just a really awesome feel-good time of year and even depression can't take that away from me. The holidays are the one time of year I can forget I'm depressed and want to die.

I cannot WAIT til I have my own house and kids and can have people over for dinner. Pinterest has made me giddy, I'll be decorating like mad and making tons of delicious things and memories with my family.

EDIT for GS making my post a wall of text.

#11 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
I think it's a stupid tradition. People act like it's so important to be loving/caring/charitable/friendly/etc. on that one day out of the year. If they truly believed in being like that, and if they had integrity, they would act that way every day.Laihendi
#13 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13417 posts) -

I hate it. And not in a bah-humbug kinda way.

If it was one day, it would be fine. Fun, even.

But it's a fvcking month-and-a-half.:evil:

I had to listen to Jingle Bells and Winter Wonderland in the grocery store today. IN THE MIDDLE OF NOVEMBER!!!:|

:cry:

#14 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

LOVE Christmas. Gonna put the lights up next weekend probably.

#15 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The only three things about Christmas I dislike are: 1. Christians claim it to be "their holiday" despite aside from the date being falsely attributed as Jesus' birth, it is entirely pagan in origin and features nothing about the Christian moral code in it's celebration. It celebrates excesses in harvest and wealth, worship of trees, and features gorging on food and liquor and reveling in hedonistic behavior. 2. The commercialization of a family holiday. Purchased gifts are advertised as mandatory, and we are engrained to believe that the more we give of a company's products, the better we should feel. I have no problems with gift giving... but it should be a thoughtful gift, not a bunch of gift cards. 3. Xmas music. :evil:
#16 Posted by KiIIyou (27154 posts) -

Pirate700
Don't burn down your house!
#17 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

KiIIyou

I won't. I upgraded to all LED last year. :D

#18 Posted by dodgerblue13 (20845 posts) -
The only three things about Christmas I dislike are:Zeviander
Brother, you're listening to the wrong folks.
#19 Posted by Jebus213 (8920 posts) -
I think it's a stupid tradition. People act like it's so important to be loving/caring/charitable/friendly/etc. on that one day out of the year. If they truly believed in being like that, and if they had integrity, they would act that way every day.Laihendi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d6Ra0n2pUA .
#20 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

The only three things about Christmas I dislike are: 1. Christians claim it to be "their holiday" despite aside from the date being falsely attributed as Jesus' birth, it is entirely pagan in origin and features nothing about the Christian moral code in it's celebration. It celebrates excesses in harvest and wealth, worship of trees, and features gorging on food and liquor and reveling in hedonistic behavior. 2. The commercialization of a family holiday. Purchased gifts are advertised as mandatory, and we are engrained to believe that the more we give of a company's products, the better we should feel. I have no problems with gift giving... but it should be a thoughtful gift, not a bunch of gift cards. 3. Xmas music. :evil:Zeviander
Ok, you crossed the line with #3. Christmas music rocks. Listening to it right now actually. :lol:

#21 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think it's a stupid tradition. People act like it's so important to be loving/caring/charitable/friendly/etc. on that one day out of the year. If they truly believed in being like that, and if they had integrity, they would act that way every day.l4dak47

You and I are boysl4dak but, man, you can be one negative dude. :P

#22 Posted by airshocker (30914 posts) -

It's loads of fun. Unless you're in OT, then it's about liberal users getting upset with wishing others a Merry Christmas.

#23 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think it's a stupid tradition. People act like it's so important to be loving/caring/charitable/friendly/etc. on that one day out of the year. If they truly believed in being like that, and if they had integrity, they would act that way every day.Pirate700

You and I are boysl4dak but, man, you can be on negative dude. :P

Mhm, yea. I'm well known for my cynicism and pessimism.
#24 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13417 posts) -

The only three things about Christmas I dislike are: 1. Christians claim it to be "their holiday" despite aside from the date being falsely attributed as Jesus' birth, it is entirely pagan in origin and features nothing about the Christian moral code in it's celebration. It celebrates excesses in harvest and wealth, worship of trees, and features gorging on food and liquor and reveling in hedonistic behavior. Zeviander

Pretty sure most ancient festivals around the solstice were to celebrate the return of the indomitable sun, rather than actually worship of trees. The way I understand it, people brought evergreen trees in and decorated them because they were the only green things left, and with the sun climbing back toward spring they were just praying for $hit to grow.

#25 Posted by KiIIyou (27154 posts) -

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

I need some of those kind tew. Blue and old fashioned looking.
#26 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]Don't burn down your house!KiIIyou

I need some of those kind tew. Blue and old fashioned looking.

I'm a multi guy. Never bought into the single color stuff.

#27 Posted by Blue-Sky (10346 posts) -

Lame once you become an adult. Only thing to look forward to is time off work/school.

#28 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Lame once you become an adult. Only thing to look forward to is time off work/school.

Blue-Sky

I completely disagree. I enjoy Christmas just as much if not more now as an adult than when I was a kid.

#29 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Ok, you crossed the line with #3. Christmas music rocks. Listening to it right now actually. :lol:Pirate700
You're never been forced to listen to it 40 hours/week I take it? The same 100 songs... over and over and over and over and over and over until you are ready to puncture your eardrums to end the inanity. I appreciate some Xmas tunes, especially the cruder, newer ones, and a few of the classics (love Bing Crosby)... but the generic trash they play everywhere is just terrible and makes me a little more sociopathic every year.
#30 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13417 posts) -

The same 100 songs... over and over and over and over and over and over until you are ready to puncture your eardrums to end the inanity.Zeviander

100 unique songs is about twice as many as most radio stations routinely play.

#31 Posted by Store24 (1146 posts) -

An enjoyable environment and atmosphere, in which I enjoy greatly. It is completely a materialistic holiday, regardless of the "true meaning of Christmas" is to some people.WSGRandomPerson

Perfect way to put it. And to me I dont care about the religious part at all. I'm not Christian but I still enjoy the lights, music, food, friends, parties. Especially right after daylight saving time ends and its depressing how early it gets dark. Forget all the crap and just enjoy it.

#32 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -
It's a nice holiday; makes me happy. I enjoy the family aspect and the traditions make me nostalgic.
#33 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26733 posts) -
Be much more enjoyable if people weren't preparing for it 2 month before the day.
#34 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

People are already putting their lights up here. I've got my work cut out for me this year if I'm going to compete. :P

#35 Posted by konvikt_17 (22342 posts) -

ive got a christmas sig i made today with Carrie Underwood in it.

been thinking about putting it up early:P

#36 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

konvikt_17

Dat Underwood. :cool:

#37 Posted by konvikt_17 (22342 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

Pirate700

Dat Underwood. :cool:

indeed.

#38 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

It's fun.

#39 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15672 posts) -
I like it, I guess. Except for the everything going up pre-thanksgiving
#40 Posted by d_parker (1725 posts) -

It's a nice time to spend with your family and friends.

It's sad that stores try to cash in on it two months before but the solution to that is simple, only buy from them what you need and ignore'em.

#41 Posted by Ballroompirate (23692 posts) -

It's a worthless holiday that's just there for people to have an excuse on spending money.

#42 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29728 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]The only three things about Christmas I dislike are: 1. Christians claim it to be "their holiday" despite aside from the date being falsely attributed as Jesus' birth, it is entirely pagan in origin and features nothing about the Christian moral code in it's celebration. It celebrates excesses in harvest and wealth, worship of trees, and features gorging on food and liquor and reveling in hedonistic behavior. 2. The commercialization of a family holiday. Purchased gifts are advertised as mandatory, and we are engrained to believe that the more we give of a company's products, the better we should feel. I have no problems with gift giving... but it should be a thoughtful gift, not a bunch of gift cards. 3. Xmas music. :evil:Pirate700

Ok, you crossed the line with #3. Christmas music rocks. Listening to it right now actually. :lol:

Christmas music is fine is December and not in any other month. :P
#43 Posted by Floridaman46 (259 posts) -

It's always been big in our family because my mom's birthday is on Xmas. We go all out starting with the tree and so on.

#44 Posted by Kage1 (6766 posts) -

What I was going to say pretty much.

#45 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29728 posts) -
ITT: People who got coal in their stockings as kids hating on Christmas
#46 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

We do things a little differently...

[spoiler] Festivus_Pole.jpg [/spoiler]

#47 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

Reason to get my family presents without them Bishing o3o

#48 Posted by ujjval16 (1669 posts) -
The only time of the year I see all my friends back home.
#49 Posted by Ballroompirate (23692 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think it's a stupid tradition. People act like it's so important to be loving/caring/charitable/friendly/etc. on that one day out of the year. If they truly believed in being like that, and if they had integrity, they would act that way every day.Kage1

I agree it's sad how people use the excuse of lets have this day be special to be nice and caring to people/family. That should be almost an everyday thing, not a ******* holiday once a year.

Also **** mom and dads who brain wash their kids about santa, that is just sick.

#50 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29728 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kage1"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think it's a stupid tradition. People act like it's so important to be loving/caring/charitable/friendly/etc. on that one day out of the year. If they truly believed in being like that, and if they had integrity, they would act that way every day.Ballroompirate

I agree it's sad how people use the excuse of lets have this day be special to be nice and caring to people/family. That should be almost an everyday thing, not a ******* holiday once a year.

Also **** mom and dads who brain wash their kids about santa, that is just sick.

You got a lot of coal as a kid didn't you?