What's So Good About Worshipping God?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] To be fair, heaven as it is described by the Abrahamic religions is supposed to be fantastic. Even if it were the case that you would only praise God all day, that wouldn't really matter because it would bring you utmost pleasure. It's kind of like being hooked up to a machine that makes you perpetually happy about everything.

There's a name for that: narcotics. If God knows what's up, Heaven is one huge orgy in endless opium fields.

More of a hallucinogen/psychedelic guy myself, but I could do with some nice opium.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#152 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
God rinses your soul clean, unlike other deities.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#153 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Praying gives you hope, and in that, strength. Hell is far worse than Earth and many people who like not believing in God will someday know that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]That's your opinion, mayne.ShadowsDemon
Sure, it's my opinion about what people have been observed discussing about their outlooks on life.

If someone else disagrees, then it is an opinion. Simple as that. It's not science or math.

No it's not. You can't say "In my opinion he thinks this" that doesn't make any sense.

It's not a matter of opinions it's observation.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
[QUOTE="lx_theo"]And I never disputed any of those uncontested facts. I contested the fact that you know nothing of their motivations of people who can act in any way they which to be perceived. You acted as you knew one way or the other. Facts are that no one really has any idea if even Jesus wasn't just a conman who went all in. All I'm saying is that the rambling you inserted into this conversation (anything having to do with killing and reasons for being founded) are silly and largely based on nothing. Philokalia
Their motivations are evidenced by their actions and the teachings we have from them. That is they made a claim that was entirely at time of the world unreasonable or unpopular for most to believe. JEws and Pagans for the most part totally rejected their central that Christ had risen from the dead. And it cannot said that this was a lie on their part because of that. If they wanted to lie thye could have made a better story. Really, they could have made something that was already widely accepted instead of something which challanged the ancient preconcevied notions of ressurection. But your assertion must also take into account the founding, that the morality of Christianity was never meant to kill people. You said it near universally and no it is not the only reason why people buy into an objective reality.

I severely doubt that trying to take advantage of established ideas opens many avenues for advancement (because the people already have a place to get the same thing). Look at anything remotely like it nowadays. Look at stuff scientology or cults. Whether they are right or not, you rarely see any actual place where the founders get a lot of perks and such where they are just leeching off already accepted ideas when starting a new religion or something. And no, my assertion doesn't have to have anything to do with the founding. If the religion was found without corruption, then fine by them. It doesn't stop the only appealing thing about an objective morality (yes, only appealing thing) to be the reason many Christians actually followed them (past and present) in said idea. I can't think of another remotely viable way that thinking your morality is unquestionably right that appeals enough to people enough to buy into it other than it makes you feel better and superior to others. Deal with it
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Zeviander"] Sure, it's my opinion about what people have been observed discussing about their outlooks on life.toast_burner

If someone else disagrees, then it is an opinion. Simple as that. It's not science or math.

No it's not. You can't say "In my opinion he thinks this" that doesn't make any sense.

It's times like this that I like to say "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#157 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
It inspires people to do good
DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 DavesAlt
It fosters a positive connection with your spiritual side and strengthens your relationship with God. Love and support.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#159 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

It gives people a sense of security and well being and comfort even within a negative situation and it provides hope. Whether that is just false hope or not remains to be seen and most probably will never be answered. I think sometimes it's better to be a nice and naive follower than a cynical, bitter Atheist. I'm generalizing of course and I suppose I fall under the agnostic/Don't care middle ground movement.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 DavesAlt
Lots of bitter people here on OT.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#161 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

God gives us life, He gives our lives meaning and purpose. If you do not worship God you are choosing to not thank Him for what he has given you. Only God can judge your soul, so it is not up to me to say where you will go in the after life. But I do believe atheists and agnostics will be in the resurrection.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

God gives us life, He gives our lives meaning and purpose. If you do not worship God you are choosing to not thank Him for what he has given you. Only God can judge your soul, so it is not up to me to say where you will go in the after life. But I do believe atheists and agnostics will be in the resurrection.

ShadowMoses900

It hard to thank someone when you don't know who to thank.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

God gives us life, He gives our lives meaning and purpose. If you do not worship God you are choosing to not thank Him for what he has given you.

ShadowMoses900

thank you God, for all the: rapist, paedophiles, serial murderers, drug dealers, gangsters and mafiosos etc.
that plague, HIV, cancer, lupus, the flu, lou gehrig's disease, the ebola virus, etc.
and those earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires and other destructive forces of nature.

thank you for giving us the best of all possible worlds, I'm pretty sure you racked your brain pretty hard in designing this damnable existence.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#164 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

God gives us life, He gives our lives meaning and purpose. If you do not worship God you are choosing to not thank Him for what he has given you.

SirWander

thank you God, for all the: rapist, paedophiles, serial murderers, drug dealers, gangsters and mafiosos etc.
that plague, HIV, cancer, lupus, the flu, lou gehrig's disease, the ebola virus, etc.
and those earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires and other destructive forces of nature.

thank you for giving us the best of all possible worlds, I'm pretty sure you racked your brain pretty hard in designing this damnable existence.

We live in a broken world, it is hard. However because of God he gives us the strength to survive it and the free will to choose to be a good person. Many problems are a result of humans choosing to do bad and the results that come from it.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#165 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

We live in a broken world, it is hard. However because of God he gives us the strength to survive it and the free will to choose to be a good person. Many problems are a result of humans choosing to do bad and the results that come from it.

With that idea in mind, I would say his point still stands.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

ShadowMoses900

If believing so helps you to live with yourself, then by all means I do not object.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
God gives us life, He gives our lives meaning and purpose. If you do not worship God you are choosing to not thank Him for what he has given you.ShadowMoses900
I'd rather thank my parents, teachers and friends for giving me life and purpose. Not some invisible sky wizard that demands animal sacrifices because he enjoys the smell of burning flesh.
CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#168 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts
I'd rather thank my parents, teachers and friends for giving me life and purpose. Not some invisible sky wizard that demands animal sacrifices because he enjoys the smell of burning flesh.Zeviander
This, and besides if this God loves everyone then why is there a hell in the first place? It makes no sense to me.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

Answer me this: Is your God Omnipotent and Omniscient?

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

I remember studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses and they told me that Satan is the ruler of this world and Earth is as close to Hell as you can possibly get (pretty much is Hell). This makes sense to me since so many evil people are in power.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#172 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] If someone else disagrees, then it is an opinion. Simple as that. It's not science or math.wis3boi

It's times like this that I like to say "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

And just how is it a fact? I fail to see how.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 ShadowsDemon

I remember studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses and they told me that Satan is the ruler of this world and Earth is as close to Hell as you can possibly get (pretty much is Hell). This makes sense to me since so many evil people are in power.

JLCrogue
I studied with them for a long time. They're good people, and I like what I'm learning from them...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

ShadowsDemon

You are aware that there are more than just facts and opinions?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#175 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
Hope and Strength.
Brosephus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Brosephus_Rex
Member since 2012 • 467 Posts

[QUOTE="Brosephus_Rex"]

I am not sure that I agree with any of the red statements w/o further elaboration - which happens to be everything that you think is my position. I do not oppose killing under all circumstances. I am not entirely certain that I am convinced that God himself necessarily killed anyone a la Sodom et Gomorrah (as I am also not convinced that the entire Israeli population was enslaved by Egyptians, for instance). I do not believe that God is immoral.

Your move.

Philokalia

Then lets suppose the bible is right, that God at certain times has killed a number of People, what is wrong with God doing so?

Provided they were, you know, murders that would make him bad by his own standards and cause a number of problems WRT divine moral authority and fvck over any notion of objective morality and such.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

toast_burner

You are aware that there are more than just facts and opinions?

I am, and this ain't part of it. You can either agree, or disagree. That's all there is it to it.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#178 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

well renegade you won't be able to be your own god because you are just a creature. And worshipping God in Heaven isn't as servile or dreary as you make it seem.