What's So Good About Worshipping God?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

It took me a really long time to realize this but our lives are pointless. I was looking at these fish in a fish bowl one day and I was like, wow they have really pointless lives. All they do all day is swim around in that small inclosed fishbowl eat, sleep, and sh!t until they die. Then I looked at human life and realized it was really no different.

When I was younger I had high ambitions and goals for when I got older but as I got older I realized no matter how hard I try or how hard I work I am going to end up in the same place as everyone else, 6 feet under ground. Then there is the afterlife(if one really exists) were we worship a god for all eternity, yes master no master. I hate my boss and don't like being told what to do. Living knowing that's the way it's going to be forever doesn't excite me. I want to be my own boss my own god.

A healer once said some people progress through light and some people progress through darkness. Ones who progress through darkness loving and kind deeds only hinder thier progression. It's not necassary a bad thing though because he thought it needs to be this way for the other to exist. Without light there can be no darkness and vice versa. It's like the ying and yang emposing forces empower each other. I think I am one of those people who progress through darkness. I think positive and nothing but bad things happen to me. I have a negative thinking attitude and good comes from it. Is this how it's meant to be?

God forgive me but it's wrong but I plan to die, Either take me in heaven and understand I was a G' did the best I could, raised in insanity or send me to hell cause I ain't beggin' for my life Ain't nothing worse then this cursed ass hopeless life. - Tupac Shakur

Is hell really that much worse then living here on earth?

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

You may want to try Mormonism.

You get your own planet at the end.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

People find it comforting to think fairy tales are true.

ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Emo moment.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Nothing.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Religion IMO could provide the belief that life has a purpose, a good ending after death, that they have worth, etc.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

It took me a really long time to realize this but our lives are not pointless. I was looking at this poster on a forum one day and I was like, wow he has a really pointless life. All he does is post in this forum and ask dumb questions about God in a videogame forum until he gets bored and leaves or his thread gets locked. Then I look at human life outside this thread and I realized wow, our lives have way more purpose then this guy's life.

I mean when I was younger I didn't have any ambitions, but now I realize that with hard work and perseverance and not asking stupid questions on a gaming forum, I can become something, make something of my life, and maybe, just maybe, there is a God showing me this. Really, how can the real world and my life be worse then this? It can't, its impossible.

:P

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Because people that worship God usually have a positive outlook on life even in the worst situations
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 l4dak47
Religion IMO could provide the belief that life has a purpose, a good ending after death, that they have worth, etc.hydralisk86
I think it's better if the person creates their own purpose rather than being told one by a religion.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Religion IMO could provide the belief that life has a purpose, a good ending after death, that they have worth, etc.l4dak47
I think it's better if the person creates their own purpose rather than being told one by your religion.

Well, i might have meant in purpose that we are here for a reason, or there was a reason that we were created by God. That we're not an accident.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Meaning and purpose is self-determined

I would rather burn in hell than worship the nonexistant God portrayed in the Bible. Hitler is a real angel compared to that nutcase.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Religion IMO could provide the belief that life has a purpose, a good ending after death, that they have worth, etc.l4dak47
I think it's better if the person creates their own purpose rather than being told one by a religion.

Religion provides a purpose for life after death.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Religion IMO could provide the belief that life has a purpose, a good ending after death, that they have worth, etc.brucewayne69

Does it? It seems to me that after you're dead, you either go to hell or heaven. Not much of a purpose there.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts
Because people that worship God usually have a positive outlook on life even in the worst situations Bucked20
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Because people that worship God usually have a positive outlook on life even in the worst situations Bucked20
Depends on the religion. Most Christians I've met have been obsessed by death.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] I think it's better if the person creates their own purpose rather than being told one by a religion. l4dak47

Does it? It seems to me that after you're dead, you either go to hell or heaven. Not much of a purpose there.

I'm not religious, but isn't that the point?

if you go to hell you're screwed if you go to heaven you can create your new purpose

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Religion IMO could provide the belief that life has a purpose, a good ending after death, that they have worth, etc.hydralisk86
I think it's better if the person creates their own purpose rather than being told one by your religion.

Well, i might have meant in purpose that we are here for a reason, or there was a reason that we were created by God. That we're not an accident.

Why do you need to have purposed assigned to you? It seems really petty to be so insecure that you can only gain purpose by having another assign it to you. It sounds like how a lot of people will do a lot to gain acceptance from their peers.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

rilpas

if you go to hell you're screwed if you go to heaven you can create your new purpose

What new purpose in heaven? Supposedly all you do is stand around praising god all day(which sounds like a nightmare to me)
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

It's not good if you don't want to. It's awesome if you do.

However, that's no reason to either try to rain on other people's parade or, as I'm sure some idiot on the board has said, think that someone worshipping with conviction is delusional or relying on fairy tales and thus automatically dumber than they are (Usually not the case)

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] Does it? It seems to me that after you're dead, you either go to hell or heaven. Not much of a purpose there. l4dak47

What new purpose in heaven? Supposedly all you do is stand around praising god all day(which sounds like a nightmare to me)

the way I see it (again, not religious) is that you praise god and then go off and play videogames :P

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="rilpas"]I'm not religious, but isn't that the point?

rilpas

the way I see it (again, not religious) is that you praise god and then go off and play videogames :P

Ha! Perhaps, but even then, not my idea of a good time.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 l4dak47

However, that's no reason to either try to rain on other people's parade or, as I'm sure some idiot on the board has said, think that someone worshipping with conviction is delusional or relying on fairy tales and thus automatically dumber than they are (Usually not the case)

JoGoSo
The more educated you are, the less religious you are. So, not a far-fetched claim.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61471 Posts

What's so bad about it?

At the end of the day, why should we give a sh*t what someone believes? Be your own person and make your own life. Unless a religion comes and screws you over, get over it.

JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JoGoSo
[QUOTE="JoGoSo"]

l4dak47
The more educated you are, the less religious you are. So, not a far-fetched claim.

That's completely untrue. You think doctors are uneducated? Lawyers? College grads in general? I say the more close minded you are the more ignorant you become. If one doesn't want to believe in God, so be it, but to gauge intelligence based on it is stupid.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 l4dak47
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="JoGoSo"]

JoGoSo

That's completely untrue. You think doctors are uneducated? Lawyers? College grads in general? I say the more close minded you are the more ignorant you become. If one doesn't want to believe in God, so be it, but to gauge intelligence based on it is stupid.

I'd say someone following a 2,000 year old book is a pretty valid reason to judge their intelligence.
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoGoSo
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="JoGoSo"][QUOTE="l4dak47"] The more educated you are, the less religious you are. So, not a far-fetched claim.

I'd say someone following a 2,000 year old book is a pretty valid reason to judge their intelligence.

And again, that would simply be a sign of stupidity to believe that. If people had come up with something better all this time, they would have followed that...But they haven't. Maybe they're too smart to come up with something smart.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
TC - What's so good about NOT worshipping God? There's a saying I've heard a few times that goes along the lines of the last question, that Earth is as close as non-believers will ever get to Heaven, and Earth is as close as believers will get to Hell. I prefer belief in God as it gives me a hope that there's something better than what's here and now. I'm thankful for the time I've had, and even if there is no God or Heaven, why should I give up on the hope that there might be?
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 l4dak47
[QUOTE="JoGoSo"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="JoGoSo"]That's completely untrue. You think doctors are uneducated? Lawyers? College grads in general? I say the more close minded you are the more ignorant you become. If one doesn't want to believe in God, so be it, but to gauge intelligence based on it is stupid.

And again, that would simply be a sign of stupidity to believe that. If people had come up with something better all this time, they would have followed that...But they haven't. Maybe they're too smart to come up with something smart.

Mhm. Not true. Atheism is on the rise and religion on the decrease in first world nations.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 l4dak47
[QUOTE="Stinger78"]TC - What's so good about NOT worshipping God? There's a saying I've heard a few times that goes along the lines of the last question, that Earth is as close as non-believers will ever get to Heaven, and Earth is as close as believers will get to Hell. I prefer belief in God as it gives me a hope that there's something better than what's here and now. I'm thankful for the time I've had, and even if there is no God or Heaven, why should I give up on the hope that there might be?

Before I answer your question, are you talking about a specific god. Like the christian god or are you speaking in more general terms?
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

TC - What's so good about NOT worshipping God? There's a saying I've heard a few times that goes along the lines of the last question, that Earth is as close as non-believers will ever get to Heaven, and Earth is as close as believers will get to Hell. I prefer belief in God as it gives me a hope that there's something better than what's here and now. I'm thankful for the time I've had, and even if there is no God or Heaven, why should I give up on the hope that there might be?Stinger78

There are dozens of possible gods though and picking one gurantees the wrath and punishment of all the others. Not very sound logic.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stinger78
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]TC - What's so good about NOT worshipping God? There's a saying I've heard a few times that goes along the lines of the last question, that Earth is as close as non-believers will ever get to Heaven, and Earth is as close as believers will get to Hell. I prefer belief in God as it gives me a hope that there's something better than what's here and now. I'm thankful for the time I've had, and even if there is no God or Heaven, why should I give up on the hope that there might be?

Before I answer your question, are you talking about a specific god. Like the christian god or are you speaking in more general terms?

Well, I believe in the God described as the God of Abraham. The one referred to as Father by Jesus Christ. If you want me to be more specific, then it would be the one described mainly in the King James Bible.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] What new purpose in heaven? Supposedly all you do is stand around praising god all day(which sounds like a nightmare to me)l4dak47

meh, if it means that you spend say, sunday worshipping god and the other six days doing what you want... I'm down with that :P

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stinger78

[QUOTE="Stinger78"]TC - What's so good about NOT worshipping God? There's a saying I've heard a few times that goes along the lines of the last question, that Earth is as close as non-believers will ever get to Heaven, and Earth is as close as believers will get to Hell. I prefer belief in God as it gives me a hope that there's something better than what's here and now. I'm thankful for the time I've had, and even if there is no God or Heaven, why should I give up on the hope that there might be?whiskeystrike

There are dozens of possible gods though and picking one gurantees the wrath and punishment of all the others. Not very sound logic.

Just curious if you'd mind naming or describing some of these other 'gods', as the one I was talking about I've answered in response to l4dak47.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stinger78

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

meh, if it means that you spend say, sunday worshipping god and the other six days doing what you want... I'm down with that :P

There are many who proclaim to be Christian who seem to act that way.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 l4dak47
[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]TC - What's so good about NOT worshipping God? There's a saying I've heard a few times that goes along the lines of the last question, that Earth is as close as non-believers will ever get to Heaven, and Earth is as close as believers will get to Hell. I prefer belief in God as it gives me a hope that there's something better than what's here and now. I'm thankful for the time I've had, and even if there is no God or Heaven, why should I give up on the hope that there might be?

Well, I believe in the God described as the God of Abraham. The one referred to as Father by Jesus Christ. If you want me to be more specific, then it would be the one described mainly in the King James Bible.

Okay. I'll answer your question as to why I don't worship/believe in the christian god. I used to feel enslaved by a 2,000 year old bible filled with outdated morals and ideas. Furthermore, the bible is often filled with contradicting information and god committed several acts that made me question this notion of him being this all powerful, all loving, and all forgiving god. When I stopped believing in organized religion, I felt a great burden lifted off my shoulder and for once, I could determine my own life in this world instead of following a set of rules that made no sense to me.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] Ha! Perhaps, but even then, not my idea of a good time. Stinger78

There are many who proclaim to be Christian who seem to act that way.

Indeed, like the Atheists who celebrate Christmas, aka presents and good food day. I don't believe any religion personally, but I acknowledge there could be a God, I think it's human instinct.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Worshiping God made human think life are meaningful. it's meaning they think they going somewhere beyond after they die. when there's nothing afterlife.. they think somewhere up there are better than here.. If there's heaven, I don't think I wanna go there anyway. there's nothing up there but white bright light. What th fck are they gonna do up there, flying around and be happy?! flying and floating around?! That would be so bored then, to the point I wanna just die.. No thanks, I have more fun, lots of things to do here on earth. anyways, after you die, there's nothing but dirt and dust 6 feet under. why can't people just except the fact!!!
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Stinger78

Religion is a man-made set of rules and regulations that often adding-to or taking-away-from the Bible with which their church is supposed to be associated with. Now, if you meant religion as in 'faith', then that's somewhat different.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stinger78
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="l4dak47"] Before I answer your question, are you talking about a specific god. Like the christian god or are you speaking in more general terms?

Okay. I'll answer your question as to why I don't worship/believe in the christian god. I used to feel enslaved by a 2,000 year old bible filled with outdated morals and ideas. Furthermore, the bible is often filled with contradicting information and god committed several acts that made me question this notion of him being this all powerful, all loving, and all forgiving god. When I stopped believing in organized religion, I felt a great burden lifted off my shoulder and for once, I could determine my own life in this world instead of following a set of rules that made no sense to me.

Do you mean outdated morals as in, to not murder, to not lie, to not steal, to not rape? I think those should still apply today.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 l4dak47
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Religion IMO could provide the belief that life has a purpose, a good ending after death, that they have worth, etc.Stinger78

Religion is a man-made set of rules and regulations that often adding-to or taking-away-from the Bible with which their church is supposed to be associated with. Now, if you meant religion as in 'faith', then that's somewhat different.

I dislike organized religion and I personally think it's better for a person to create their own relationship with god if they so desire rather than following what an organization tells you to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Stinger78"] Well, I believe in the God described as the God of Abraham. The one referred to as Father by Jesus Christ. If you want me to be more specific, then it would be the one described mainly in the King James Bible.Stinger78

Do you mean outdated morals as in, to not murder, to not lie, to not steal, to not rape? I think those should still apply today.

Do you honestly believe that the bible isn't outdated? Do you just pretend all the homophobia and sexism in it isn't there?

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 l4dak47
[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Stinger78"] Well, I believe in the God described as the God of Abraham. The one referred to as Father by Jesus Christ. If you want me to be more specific, then it would be the one described mainly in the King James Bible.

They do, but those are pretty universal morals that have long existed before the bible. No, I'm talking about when fundamentalists use the bible to condemn things like homosexuality, abortion, evolution, etc. Not to mention that many of those morals are often not followed in the bible.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stinger78

[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="l4dak47"] Okay. I'll answer your question as to why I don't worship/believe in the christian god. I used to feel enslaved by a 2,000 year old bible filled with outdated morals and ideas. Furthermore, the bible is often filled with contradicting information and god committed several acts that made me question this notion of him being this all powerful, all loving, and all forgiving god. When I stopped believing in organized religion, I felt a great burden lifted off my shoulder and for once, I could determine my own life in this world instead of following a set of rules that made no sense to me. toast_burner

Do you honestly believe that the bible isn't outdated? Do you just pretend all the homophobia and sexism in it isn't there?

I don't pretend anything isn't in there, if you're talking specifically about a King James or New King James version. I believe there are standards for conduct made fairly clear and anyone not following the standards will be judged accordingly. I also do not exclude myself from anything stated in any verse, chapter or book.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Stinger78
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="l4dak47"] Okay. I'll answer your question as to why I don't worship/believe in the christian god. I used to feel enslaved by a 2,000 year old bible filled with outdated morals and ideas. Furthermore, the bible is often filled with contradicting information and god committed several acts that made me question this notion of him being this all powerful, all loving, and all forgiving god. When I stopped believing in organized religion, I felt a great burden lifted off my shoulder and for once, I could determine my own life in this world instead of following a set of rules that made no sense to me.

They do, but those are pretty universal morals that have long existed before the bible. No, I'm talking about when fundamentalists use the bible to condemn things like homosexuality, abortion, evolution, etc. Not to mention that many of those morals are often not followed in the bible.

I recall many passages of judgement against individuals who were not following the standards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Stinger78"] Do you mean outdated morals as in, to not murder, to not lie, to not steal, to not rape? I think those should still apply today.Stinger78

I don't pretend anything isn't in there, if you're talking specifically about a King James or New King James version. I believe there are standards for conduct made fairly clear and anyone not following the standards will be judged accordingly. I also do not exclude myself from anything stated in any verse, chapter or book.

So because you follow it that means it isn't outdated? If I start using a Macintosh 128K would it no longer be outdated hardware because I'm currently using it?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I don't pretend anything isn't in there, if you're talking specifically about a King James or New King James version. I believe there are standards for conduct made fairly clear and anyone not following the standards will be judged accordingly. I also do not exclude myself from anything stated in any verse, chapter or book.Stinger78

Ah, so you do agree that slavery is ok, its fine to sell your daughter, religious intolerance, men are superior to women, and that shellfish shouldn't be eaten. Wonderful.

But the bible's morality is totally not outdated.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stinger78

[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

toast_burner

So because you follow it that means it isn't outdated? If I start using a Macintosh 128K would it no longer be outdated hardware because I'm currently using it?

What I'm saying, again, is that there are standards. Many laws and ideas still in-use today are based on biblical principles, and just because society or the majority of people have changed the rules, it does not change that. If you want to use a Macintosh 128K, then go right ahead :)
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 l4dak47
[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Stinger78"] Do you mean outdated morals as in, to not murder, to not lie, to not steal, to not rape? I think those should still apply today.

I recall many passages of judgement against individuals who were not following the standards.

No, I was talking more about your god not following some of his commandments specifically in the OT.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Stinger78"] I don't pretend anything isn't in there, if you're talking specifically about a King James or New King James version. I believe there are standards for conduct made fairly clear and anyone not following the standards will be judged accordingly. I also do not exclude myself from anything stated in any verse, chapter or book.Stinger78

What I'm saying, again, is that there are standards. Many laws and ideas still in-use today are based on biblical principles, and just because society or the majority of people have changed the rules, it does not change that. If you want to use a Macintosh 128K, then go right ahead :)

There's a word for things that haven't changed over time. It's called "outdated"

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 l4dak47
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Stinger78"] I don't pretend anything isn't in there, if you're talking specifically about a King James or New King James version. I believe there are standards for conduct made fairly clear and anyone not following the standards will be judged accordingly. I also do not exclude myself from anything stated in any verse, chapter or book.Stinger78

What laws and ideas, specifically?