Whats Its Like Moving To Another City/State?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PSP107 (11933 posts) -

Just a half ago, I had to turn down a job offer in Arizona. Sure its 15 degrees in Chicago vs high 70's-80s in Arizona. But I don't think I can just pack my bags and move to another City let alone State. The recruiter pretty much said I should reapply in the future if I ever changed my mind.

No question eventually I have to leave to another City/State someday so pretty much I was wondering what's that like and how do you prepare for something like this?

#2 Posted by themajormayor (25854 posts) -

It's in the same fvcking country. What's wrong with you? 'muricans remind me of hobbits from LotR that has no idea about anything outside of the Shire

#3 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

Can't talk about moving to another state since I've lived int he same one my whole life, but moving to another city is wonderful, kind of scary, and, if you do the appropriate research beforehand, an awesome change of pace/scenery/life if you let it be one.

#4 Edited by plageus900 (1082 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

It's in the same fvcking country. What's wrong with you? 'muricans remind me of hobbits from LotR that has no idea about anything outside of the Shire

No need to be an ass to this guy. The fact of the matter is he lives in Chicago and moving to Arizona might as well be like moving to another country. The landscape, people, way of the land, etc. change significantly. I'm from Western Washington and when I joined the military, I was stationed down in New Mexico. I went from the green, the mountains, the ocean, and mostly decent people to barren desert, dry HOT weather, and crazy right-wing Christian conservative terrorists.

To the OP, depending on where you go, it can be a culture shock. But if you do like Makhaidos said and do your research and prepare, it'll be great.

#5 Posted by ZombieVirolina (27 posts) -

@themajormayor: Because that's how ALL "'muricans" treat a move. Prejudice and ignorance are in lockstep once again...

@PSP107: Scout your housing prices in that area and plan for a transition between where you are living now to where you are going to live and prepare to make a trip out there to close a deal on a place before you actually move out there. If you are renting, that will probably mean having to break a lease. Talk to your rental office and they can work with you on breaking your lease so that you don't break the bank. I had to break my lease at my old apartment in Orlando for a cross country move because of my job. I still had 8 months left on the lease and they worked with me so that I could pay the early break penalty in installments so it wouldn't break me because I still had to pay the first month's rent and security deposit at my new place. All said and done, that process ALONE was around $3000 between the old and new place.

Make a decision what you will take with you and what you are going to sell to keep your moving costs down. Sell the things you don't need in a garage sale and on Craigslist/Ebay and use the money to bankroll the move. Check with your job to see if you get any perks with any moving or shipping companies to bring down the costs further.

#6 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

MM Is a good guy

#7 Posted by Iszdope (10151 posts) -

It's a trip.

#8 Posted by PSP107 (11933 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

?

#9 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (971 posts) -
@PSP107 said:

@themajormayor said:

?

my thoughts exactly. anyone who thinks Illinois is the same as Arizona needs the jaws of life to get his head out of his ass.

with that said, TC, if you have the time, take a little trip to the city you want to move to for a few days. Get a feel of the place

#10 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16394 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Where are you from anyway?

#11 Posted by chathuranga (3549 posts) -

Not a big deal for me. I move for work every 18 to 24 months. Just in past 2 years I've lived in Rhode Island for 3 months, Mississippi for 18 months, and California for 4 months.

#12 Posted by marklives (7 posts) -

move abroad that's a lot more fun than going to another state. One state is nearly the same as the other. Now to try something totally new like move overseas like Japan, that's a kick in the pants!

#13 Posted by marklives (7 posts) -

If you want to know how to move abroad you can also read this http://www.2moveabroad.com lots of stuff and people there that talk about moving and what it like to live somewhere else

#14 Edited by luke1889 (14617 posts) -

In the next few years, I want to relocate to another town/city. However, I live in the UK and the nearest candidate is only about 40 miles away. Such a small island I live on!

#15 Posted by ad1x2 (5675 posts) -

As a child I moved several times. I lived in New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Maryland. Then I joined the Army and moved to Kansas, South Korea, back to Georgia, North Carolina, and now in Texas. I also did three tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, but those were just a temporary relocation.

Moving isn't that hard as long as you have the money and aren't moving to some area that is totally different than where you lived before. You just have to get used to the area you are going to. Moving from NYC to Atlanta wasn't that different because Atlanta is a large city in itself. On the other hand, moving to Kansas is a whole different animal.

#16 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16394 posts) -

As a military brat, I've lived in Japan (born there), Australia, Germany, Philippines, Florida, Nevada. On my own, I've lived in Turkey, Korea, Japan, California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Idaho, and of course, here in New York state. I didn't count the places where I stayed for six months or less.

#17 Posted by LexLas (4278 posts) -

Its the best, you have a fresh start at becoming whoever you want. Check out the movie the " New Guy " , this will tell it all .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241760/

#18 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

As a military brat, I've lived in Japan (born there), Australia, Germany, Philippines, Florida, Nevada. On my own, I've lived in Turkey, Korea, Japan, California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Idaho, and of course, here in New York state. I didn't count the places where I stayed for six months or less.

You lucky son of a gun!! Seriously I envy the fuck out of you. I bet you're like some sort of a linguistic guru or something.

On-topic: Dunno about you TC, but I wouldn't miss any chance of relocating, as long as its a decent place I'm going to. Even if I liked where I was in any particular moment in my life, I'd still choose to relocate at least for a brief time just for the experience it brings with it.

#19 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16394 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

You lucky son of a gun!! Seriously I envy the fuck out of you. I bet you're like some sort of a linguistic guru or something.

On-topic: Dunno about you TC, but I wouldn't miss any chance of relocating, as long as its a decent place I'm going to. Even if I liked where I was in any particular moment in my life, I'd still choose to relocate at least for a brief time just for the experience it brings with it.

Linguistic guru? I wish. ;)

I suck at languages. Every location overseas is a linguistic nightmare to me. Good thing the different people are friendly or else they could've made a fool out of me many times. He He.

#20 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

There's so much irony here I don't know how to respond

#21 Edited by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

I moved in a similar fashion, didn't have a house on arrival and stayed in a hostel for about a week, found something rather quickly. However I did have time to save up and the likes.

#22 Posted by thegerg (15460 posts) -

It depends.

#23 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

@PSP107: you were given a job in a new place and you turned it down??? why the hell wouldn't you take it?

You find out where you will be living, figure out your budget, pack your shit, and bounce.

Do you know how secure your job down in Arizona would have been? Job security is the only reasonable explanation why I wouldn't do something like this.

#24 Posted by playmynutz (6068 posts) -

I moved 100 miles away to another city and their is differences. Where I was living was a majority of Hispanics and where I moved to has a majority of African Americans. There is many more differences like I use to pay 500 rent a month for a room and now pay 250 rent a month for a room.

I can only imagine moving states comes with even more changes. I would have done it, it's fun being in a new environment.

#25 Posted by themajormayor (25854 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

There's no irony

#26 Edited by PSP107 (11933 posts) -

@4myAmuzumament said:

@PSP107: you were given a job in a new place and you turned it down??? why the hell wouldn't you take it?

You find out where you will be living, figure out your budget, pack your shit, and bounce.

Do you know how secure your job down in Arizona would have been? Job security is the only reasonable explanation why I wouldn't do something like this.

At best I thought I was going to be down there for training. I didn't prepare for relocation. I'm going to do some research on cost of living in Arizona VS Chicago.

#27 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

There's no irony

please tell me more how, say, Texas is the same as Rhode Island

#28 Posted by themajormayor (25854 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

There's no irony

I never said they were the same. But for example, some similarities; language, currency, religion, "race". Many more of course. But these are major elements that differentiate between different geopolitical entities in this context. I don't understand how it can be hard to adjust when all of these are the same as where you left.

#29 Edited by lamprey263 (24223 posts) -

I moved from WA to CA, I find it rather surprising that it's hard to find decent Mexican food in CA. Hell, took a while just to find decent Thai and Indian food.

#30 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

There's no irony

I never said they were the same. But for example, some similarities; language, currency, religion, "race". Many more of course. But these are major elements that differentiate between different geopolitical entities in this context. I don't understand how it can be hard to adjust when all of these are the same as where you left.

Maybe you would understand it better if you've traveled across the states and seen it for yourself instead of getting your info from the internet and tv/mvoies

#31 Edited by themajormayor (25854 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

@wis3boi said:

@themajormayor said:

There's no irony

Maybe you would understand it better if you've traveled across the states and seen it for yourself instead of getting your info from the internet and tv/mvoies

I guess you never comment on anything if you haven't seen it for yourself.

#32 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

I've lived in Texas most of my life, but I did live in Chicago for a year. The women there were much easier, so there's that...

#33 Posted by PSP107 (11933 posts) -

1st of themajormayor has no idea what he's talking about. lol

@huggybear1020 said:

I've lived in Texas most of my life, but I did live in Chicago for a year. The women there were much easier, so there's that...

lol huggybear, can you elaborate on easier women in Chicago VS Texas?

#34 Edited by destinhpark (4753 posts) -

It's whatever. Takes a month to adapt and you're fine. Just gotta learn where everything is. I've moved a lot so I know how it feels. I just moved to Chicago actually (for the 2nd time, first time I was really little,) and I absolutely love it. Cold as hell, but I love it more for that. Lived in FL for way way too long.

#35 Posted by PSP107 (11933 posts) -

@destinhpark said:

It's whatever. Takes a month to adapt and you're fine. Just gotta learn where everything is. I've moved a lot so I know how it feels. I just moved to Chicago actually (for the 2nd time, first time I was really little,) and I absolutely love it. Cold as hell, but I love it more for that. Lived in FL for way way too long.

Yeah seems I could be going from cold(Chicago) to hot(Arizona)

#36 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Okay, I've had 9 sexual partners in my life. 5 of them were from the 1 year period I spent in Chicago. It just seemed easier to strike gold when I went out to clubs there. And I'm not even counting 3 BJ's that didn't quite lead to home base.

#37 Posted by PSP107 (11933 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@PSP107 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Okay, I've had 9 sexual partners in my life. 5 of them were from the 1 year period I spent in Chicago. It just seemed easier to strike gold when I went out to clubs there. And I'm not even counting 3 BJ's that didn't quite lead to home base.

lol, that wasn't the response I was expecting. I was expecting some lines you used on Chicago chicks that wouldn't work in texas. And I think there a saying that women like different accent or new people.