What you do for a living, does it effect gaming?

• 64 results
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I work a service employee for Ryder truck rental. I work the night shift 11pm-7:30am and it does get in the way of my game time.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Childcare worker, shifts are all over the place and I have to take paperwork home with me almost daily. I can't remember the last time I got to actually sit down and play a game.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

Hey OT.. Wondering what everyone's career's or jobs are and does it have an effect on your gaming hobby? I've found that as I've gotten more into my twenties and career focused I've had a much harder time enjoying a good game or two. Mostly it comes down to the amount of time I can commit to them.

I work a 9-5 well 7-330 job as an Accountant for a fairly large Canadian company while taking some courses part time to finish my computer engineering degree. I'll be quitting my job soon to focus 100% on the degree in computer engineering, most likely around September. Although, I plan on being busy through the last year of school, I'm really hoping it means I can find time to get back into gaming like I used to.

What do you guys or girls do? Is gaming getting harder to do as you get older?

Well , it's all about energy, if you put a lot of energy in working, there's not much left for gaming.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@plageus900 said:

I work for a semiconductor chip maker. No it does not affect my gaming.

What do you do for work there?

I have a little time for gaming, maybe a few hours each week. I'm a full-time student and work from home so my schedule can be pretty flexible. I'm looking forward to the summer when I'll only be in two classes, I can finally play tons of games...I mean work on grad school applications. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Sit most of the day. It's pretty good for gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Some of us have social and civic responsibilities that prevent us from having as much time to ourselves as we would like. That's what me time is: Time to myself. It ceases to be my time when I'm doing things for others like family and friends.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#57 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Currently I am unemployed but I am a cook, mainly line (deep fryer, grill or flat top) or prep cook. It never has gotten in the way of my gaming, I always set time aside for some. I do not associate with many people or go out much unless I am going for a walk, so if I am at home I am usually always gaming or watching Anime.

I did quit playing for a two year period so I could "grow up" but I realized that my passion and love for gaming has only gotten higher, and in the end it seemed gaming would be there to "grow up with me".

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

Data Analyst working for a very big (if not the biggest, depends on how you look at "value" technology companies in the world. I barely get time to game these days between works, missus and RL stuff. Hell i only get the time to write this on my dinner break lol

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

I'm a college student, working on transferring to a university soon, well hopefully. It does get in the way from my gaming time since from time to time I have to study hard for certain exams for certain classes.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@achilles614 said:

@plageus900 said:

I have a little time for gaming, maybe a few hours each week. I'm a full-time student and work from home so my schedule can be pretty flexible. I'm looking forward to the summer when I'll only be in two classes, I can finally play tons of games...I mean work on grad school applications. :P

I can't really talk too much about it. Troubleshooting, process improvement, etc.

What's your major?

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@plageus900 said:

@achilles614 said:

@plageus900 said:

I can't really talk too much about it. Troubleshooting, process improvement, etc.

What's your major?

EE. Still undecided between doing logic level design or physical layout as a focus. I worry if I go into physical layout that I'll be too tied to CMOS tech...

Do you enjoy your job? I'm having my first IC (8x16 LFSR lol :( )fabbed this August, it would be cool to see what goes on in the manufacturing side as I know very little about the process (other than super basics).

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@achilles614: Excellent! Yes I like my job. It can be stressful at times but that's half the appeal for me; encountering problems and finding solutions. The manufacturing process is actually pretty neat. The science behind it all is pretty amazing.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#63 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I usually have an hour to play games on week days. My work schedule varies. Sometimes I work 7 - 3. Other times from 7 - 5. It depends on what needs done. I'm an application programmer. Once I come home, my wife goes to work and I take care of my stepson. Then, there's yard work and other life stuff. I don't game as often as I used to.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#64  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Was thinking about the same thing lately. Come from an engineering background. I also study on the side for professional development and it has come to my attention that it's becoming almost impossible to game right now. Since I have ambitions, I think my gaming days are coming to a close. But each time I visit this site I get the urge to game but then I know I will get lost in hours in the gaming world. Just an hour or so ago, I came across thread about Quake II and I remember I had installed Quake II expansions several years ago and that made me want to go back and play one of the expansion which I did as it was installed on my laptop. I remember talking to my co-workers before and they said the same thing as they don't have time to game. One hasn't been on steam since 2008!

I mean I already have 50+ games in my collections both Steam and non-steam and I haven't even finished half of it if not more! I sometimes wonder what's the point of buying games if I don't play it. My backlog is huge. I even thought about putting off my PC upgrade because what's the point really when you really aren't going to use it especially since your current hardware plays 98% of games maxed out.

So for me it's basically comes down to two things gaming or professional development, I think I am going to choose the latter than the former. I think the only thing I may do "gaming" is the forums on this site which can be only 20 - 30 minutes as opposed to hours getting lost in the gaming world.

I do have two regrets though. I wished I had gamed more when I was younger when I had free time so I could have played through and finished many of the games that I want to finish and also put more emphasis on what I wanted to do career wise because I would have been a lot further than I am now.