What would you do as an artists to stop music piracy ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

If you were in the entertainment industry, what would you do to stop the music piracy ?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

What would you do OP?

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Not much you can do really. If you are a bigger-named artist, you could try to see what countries are showing high piracy for your music and do more tours there to tap into the market. If you are a small artist? That's a tough question.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

If I throw a concert, I would give people who bought my album a discount. Just show the receipt at the door and get %30 off of the ticket sale. Just an example

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

With very few exceptions, artists typically don't make that much from album sales anyway. If I were an artist, I'd give my music away for free and rely on selling branded goods (online and at concert venues) and concerts. After all, the more people who listen to your music everyday, the more people will likely buy your goods and show up for concerts.

Another option is selling behind-the-scenes passes that would allow the viewer to watch practice sessions, studio sessions, live concert events and private performances (a la Radioheads From the Basement).

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Nothing.You can't stop piracy.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Use lobbying power to bully and sue responsible and innocent people alike.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Put it on pirating sites for DL, however include a virus in it which will report the location of said PC which DL the albums I put out, then send them a bill in the mail... f they don't pay then I sue for several billions since that seems to be the normal thing to do. :P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Hydrolex said:

If you were in the entertainment industry, what would you do to stop the music piracy ?

Nothing, since you can't stop piracy.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

@MrGeezer: pretty much, but you can hurt your goodwill by trying.

Avatar image for girlshavefuntoo
girlshavefuntoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 girlshavefuntoo
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

Make my music free.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Probably nothing tbh. Heck I would probably encourage it since you can't really stop it. I'd be psyched so many people love my work. Beyond that I'd sell merchandise at my concerts and try to get rich off the ticket sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

You can't "stop" piracy but you can give people an incentive to buy your album over downloading. Some video game companies like Atlus give bonuses like extra content, artbooks, soundtracks, etc. for retail versions to entice people to buying their game. If artists find a way to do that they can make a decent amount of change they would not otherwise get. Another good way is to make a pay what you want model. People like Radiohead and even Louis CK used this and made some money. Getting $1 is still better than getting done.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I am in the entertainment industry. Here are the facts: An mp3 file of a song is absolutely worthless. It's worth somewhere between 0-.69 cents. The business has changed. Mostly because the law is behind the technology, as usual. It's hard to make money off recorded music because its so easily attainable through very basic means. Almost everyone can download 5 megabtyes from almost anywhere. All the money in music is in music publishing and live performance.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

If I were an artist struggling with piracy, I would take a mic at every live concert, ask everyone to pull out their cell phones and set them to record, say "This is in dedication to all the pirates at hard work behind their desks everyday." Then I would pull my pants down, aim it at the crowd, then let out a huge fart... Maybe even shart a little and flip the cameras off before starting the concert. Maybe I'd change it up a bit and pull out my weiner and do a helicopter for 2 minutes instead of farting. If Rage Against The Machine can get away with standing on a stage for 2 hours completely naked without playing any music, then I'm sure that what I would do is small time in comparison.

Trender_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Trender_man
Member since 2013 • 143 Posts

depends ,if I'm rich enough i wouldn't care

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I would do nothing. Piracy spreads music and encourages more people to listen to it.. More people hear my music, and then come to my concerts, and spend money on my merchandise and personally pressed CDs. Artists make little profits from CD sales compared to merchandise and touring.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@KHAndAnime:

What he said.

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

It can't be stopped.

GoogleAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GoogleAndroid
Member since 2013 • 162 Posts

Promote/support services like Spotify. It will never be stopped, but they will certainly help cut down.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

make really crappy music

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

You can't stop piracy, so instead you go on a concert tour.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Anybody going through a big label gets less than a dollar per album. I doubt the artists themselves care. They make all their money on tours, merchandise, and endorsements.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Absolutely nothing. Doing anything at all would just be wasted effort on a lost cause that doesn't actually matter in the first place. And that's effort that should be put toward whatever new music you're working on.

The artists themselves aren't being hurt by piracy. Record labels are being hurt by piracy. And they deserve it.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Establish a true fan base without getting famous.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

Taking a time machine far enough back to where music couldn't be pirated is the only possible way

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Nothing because if I were a successful artist I would have millions of dollars already, and by letting people pirate my music I would ensure that more people could enjoy the art that I had created.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I wouldn't. Let them listen and if they like it and want to support it then they have the option to buy it. Radiohead gets the idea.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

The smart thing is to no try anything. Make a quality product and people will buy. Put on great concerts and make neat merchandise...you make more doing that than selling songs/albums.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Anybody going through a big label gets less than a dollar per album. I doubt the artists themselves care. They make all their money on tours, merchandise, and endorsements.

What about the ones who aren't going through the big labels?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Release a free version with annoying sponsors.

No really, there is nothing you could do about it. The trick is to do proper marketing.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@MrGeezer: For them, piracy's a pisser... But what it boils down to -- for a band like Radiohead who's already rich as hell, piracy's not going to affect them. For bands that aren't that big, there's not enough people downloading their music to really affect their profits. Overall, it sucks, but if people stopped pirating music, I doubt bands would really start making more money. There's bands whose CD I've downloaded, knowing full well that I would never purchase it if it wasn't an option. I think that's really the key to figuring out how much piracy affects the entertainment industry as a whole --

Not how many people are pirating, but how many people who are pirating would actually buy the product if pirating wasn't an option.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Metalicca are now ok with internet piracy ..... it creates wider fanbase especially in a country where their songs are not availiable or ban on shelves

Loading Video...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Release my music for free. It's not like artists get much money from albums anyways, all the money's in merchandise and touring. Of course I hate merchandising, so I wouldn't make any money off that either. And I don't think I'd like playing big venues all that much, so I wouldn't make much money off that. And I think I'd probably be pretty prone to impromptu jam sessions, so maybe people would rather just hang around the areas they know I frequent than pay for a ticket in that scenario. I don't think I'd be a very successful artist, but I'd be happy.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts
@Aljosa23 said:

You can't "stop" piracy but you can give people an incentive to buy your album over downloading. Some video game companies like Atlus give bonuses like extra content, artbooks, soundtracks, etc. for retail versions to entice people to buying their game. If artists find a way to do that they can make a decent amount of change they would not otherwise get. Another good way is to make a pay what you want model. People like Radiohead and even Louis CK used this and made some money. Getting $1 is still better than getting done.

That's the problem. ATLUS is better at giving bonuses and quality products.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Nothing, I want people to listen to my music as much as possible, and be inspired by it, not bully people and taking more rights from them.