What will cause man kind to end?

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

I think a lack of sympathy and empathy will soon destroy us all. What do you think?

#2 Posted by thegerg (15460 posts) -

Is that anything like mankind?

#3 Edited by tocool340 (20549 posts) -

Either evolution, human stupidity, or the sun dying would be my guesses....

___________________________________________________________________________

Sig

Garfield

#5 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

the y chromosome.

men on the verge of becoming extinct.

#6 Posted by lostrib (37732 posts) -

probably some disease

#7 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

An overwhelming epidemic of sexual attraction to jumper cables.

#8 Posted by iampenguin (223 posts) -

@donquixote: I think all of man's vices will no one in particular.

#9 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

I think we will either kill each other, destroy the planet and make it inhabitable, or both. Either way it wont be pretty.

#10 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@tocool340 said:

Either evolution, human stupidity, or the sun dying would be my guesses....

___________________________________________________________________________

I'd place my bet on stupidity. The sun has five billion years left, and the Earth has been around for 4.7 billion years. Humanity has been around for roughly 200,000 years. With the way we are, I'd say we're lucky if we got 1,000 years left before we annihilate each other.

#11 Edited by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@-Renegade said:

the y chromosome.

men on the verge of becoming extinct.

LOL @ the Y-chromosome disappearing in five million years. I doubt the human species will be here in five million years. And if we miraculously are, I'm sure advanced technology could prevent the chromosome from disappearing. And I wouldn't call having five million years left "being on the verge of extinction". It's not like five million years is a long ass time or anything. LOL.

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72434 posts) -

War, disease, cosmic events are all plausable scenarios

#13 Edited by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@tocool340 said:

Either evolution, human stupidity, or the sun dying would be my guesses....

___________________________________________________________________________

I'd place my bet on stupidity. The sun has five billion years left, and the Earth has been around for 4.7 billion years. Humanity has been around for roughly 200,000 years. With the way we are, I'd say we're lucky if we got 1,000 years left before we annihilate each other.

This. We will die long before the earth does, because of our stupidity, be it one way or another.

#14 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@tocool340 said:

Either evolution, human stupidity, or the sun dying would be my guesses....

___________________________________________________________________________

I'd place my bet on stupidity. The sun has five billion years left, and the Earth has been around for 4.7 billion years. Humanity has been around for roughly 200,000 years. With the way we are, I'd say we're lucky if we got 1,000 years left before we annihilate each other.

"modern man" has been around at least 340,000 according to hour oldest records.

father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

why do some people think that we will be the cause of our own deaths? because of the bible? i thought we were much smarter then that by now and to take everything that is written in the bible with a grain of salt.

#15 Edited by ferrari2001 (17004 posts) -

Well it's extremely difficult to eradicate a species that numbers over 6 billion. The way I see it, there will be humans for an extremely long time. Even if a major war were to break out, or a plague, some humans would still survive. We won't be alive in our present form, with our current nations and nationalities but I can't see anything that would completely wipe out the human race.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#16 Posted by SexyJazzCat (989 posts) -

A completely eradicated human race? Only when earth can no longer support life.

#17 Edited by spike6958 (4839 posts) -

Zombies obviously

#18 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Man

#19 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@donquixote said:

What will cause mankind to end?

Mankind.

#20 Posted by Brain_Duster (404 posts) -

The sun.

#21 Edited by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

Women.

#22 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@-Renegade said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@tocool340 said:

Either evolution, human stupidity, or the sun dying would be my guesses....

___________________________________________________________________________

I'd place my bet on stupidity. The sun has five billion years left, and the Earth has been around for 4.7 billion years. Humanity has been around for roughly 200,000 years. With the way we are, I'd say we're lucky if we got 1,000 years left before we annihilate each other.

"modern man" has been around at least 340,000 according to hour oldest records.

father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

why do some people think that we will be the cause of our own deaths? because of the bible? i thought we were much smarter then that by now and to take everything that is written in the bible with a grain of salt.

No, it's not because of the Bible. It's because we're too tribal and territorial. We kill each other over religion and territory. Adding nuclear weapons into that mix is a recipe for mass extinction.

#23 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13100 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Well it's extremely difficult to eradicate a species that numbers over 6 billion. The way I see it, there will be humans for an extremely long time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agreed. I do think though that we are due for a drastic population reduction at some point, most likely through lack of available resources. I don't think, however, that it's going to happen anytime soon.

If anything actually kills us off it will probably be some natural disaster such as a comet impact or global volcanic upheaval as has happened in the past.

If we manage to make it long enough for the sun to become an issue, surely we'll be a space-faring species by then...not necessarily inhabiting other worlds, but more likely permanent space colonies.

#24 Edited by GamingTitan (547 posts) -

plague or disease

#25 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13100 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

No, it's not because of the Bible. It's because we're too tribal and territorial. We kill each other over religion and territory. Adding nuclear weapons into that mix is a recipe for mass extinction.

People would survive a nuclear war. Hell there have been hundreds of above-ground nuclear detonations in the Nevada desert, and people still live in the state.

Chernobyl is populated by large amounts of wildlife, and it emitted far more radiation than a nuclear weapon. Nuclear weapons burn through pretty much all their nuclear material when they explode, it's the dust and debris it sucks up that's the problem. A nuclear reactor, on the other hand, is made to burn through it's nuclear material over the period of many years. When Chernobyl blew, it released much of its actual core into the atmosphere. Nuclear weapons are not capable of doing this.

#26 Posted by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@donquixote said:

What will cause mankind to end?

Mankind.

This.

#27 Posted by Person0 (2944 posts) -

Probably some type of Earth Extinction level asteroid/meteor or the sun dying.

Nukes and stuff wouldn't kill everyone neither would plagues.

#28 Edited by Ravenous_Joker (30 posts) -

A giant meteor.

#29 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

Ignorance.

#30 Edited by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

I realize it's mankind... It won't allow me to edit it because I am new or some crap.

#31 Posted by verbalfilth (4609 posts) -

Overpopulation

#32 Posted by Danyawesomsauce (105 posts) -

Everything in this video.

#33 Posted by lostrib (37732 posts) -

Captain Trips

#35 Posted by hofuldig (5084 posts) -

Well with the human kinds increase in standards between a male and female i would say the loss of reproduction.

#36 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@hofuldig said:

Well with the human kinds increase in standards between a male and female i would say the loss of reproduction.

Alcohol exist for a reason.

#37 Edited by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

MTV

#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151458 posts) -

Humans...

#39 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3211 posts) -

Dolphins, of course.

#40 Posted by lostrib (37732 posts) -

@hofuldig said:

Well with the human kinds increase in standards between a male and female i would say the loss of reproduction.

What?

#41 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@gamerguru100 said:

No, it's not because of the Bible. It's because we're too tribal and territorial. We kill each other over religion and territory. Adding nuclear weapons into that mix is a recipe for mass extinction.

People would survive a nuclear war. Hell there have been hundreds of above-ground nuclear detonations in the Nevada desert, and people still live in the state.

Chernobyl is populated by large amounts of wildlife, and it emitted far more radiation than a nuclear weapon. Nuclear weapons burn through pretty much all their nuclear material when they explode, it's the dust and debris it sucks up that's the problem. A nuclear reactor, on the other hand, is made to burn through it's nuclear material over the period of many years. When Chernobyl blew, it released much of its actual core into the atmosphere. Nuclear weapons are not capable of doing this.

Assuming every continent was bombarded with hundreds of thousands of nuclear weapons, I doubt we'd survive. I'm sure if every live nuclear device was unleashed on the planet, all seven billion people would be dead within a year. The vast majority would have been killed by the blasts and heat. While the ones that survived would die of starvation, dehydration, or radiation sickness. Chances are, the survivors won't be able to reproduce since their reproductive systems will have been compromised by radiation. And even if their reproductive systems weren't compromised, survival would be #1 on their list of priorities, not making babies. And if babies were born, what do you think their life expectancy would be in a post-apocalyptic wasteland with scarce food and water? Not 80 years, that's for sure.

#42 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13100 posts) -

@gamerguru100: There are less than 20,000 nuclear weapons and most of those are tactical, not strategic weapons. The average yield is something on the order of KTs, not MTs.

Although large weapons do exist, they are by far the minority of the worlds nuclear stockpile.

Further, most warheads are not ready-to-fire. There's a few thousand of them just a few miles from me just sitting in storage.

#43 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

The world will never end. It will live on in my memory.

#44 Edited by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

@verbalfilth said:

Overpopulation

Sir. What makes you think population is a problem?

#45 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

I feel no matter what happens we're going to be the only thing we'll let end us.

#46 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

@donquixote said:

I realize it's mankind... It won't allow me to edit it because I am new or some crap.

The man who chases windmills...

#47 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10187 posts) -

i won't let anyone hurt you TC.

#48 Edited by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

And why in the world would we detonate all our nuclear weapons?This isnt stupidity,this is insanity.

Anyway,I don't think mankind will perish easily.We will live for millions of years.Unless,of course,a huge gamma ray burst comes our way and fries us.

#49 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSVFfp4Mm2Q

#50 Posted by Dogswithguns (10786 posts) -

A giant asteroid full of toxic.. and soon I hope.