What was/were your favorite childhood anime?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Shadow4020 (1936 posts) -

Sailor Moon, oh god, I completely forgot I used to watch that; my brother made fun of me to no end.

I also watched Pokemon, I never really thought of it as anime before.

#52 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12648 posts) -
  1. DBZ
  2. Blue Seed
  3. New Dominion Tank Police
  4. Bubblegum crisis
  5. Cowboy Bebop (so damn good}
  6. Evangelion
  7. Gundam Wing
  8. Tenchi Muyo

Countless others but these were My introductions to Anime.

The newer anime just can't touch any of the classics, It's a shame.

#53 Posted by SolidSnake35 (57882 posts) -

Pokemon. Hasn't aged well in my opinion.

#54 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2864 posts) -

@SolidSnake35: you should blame Ash Ketchup for that,l know he's terrible now,because it's always about him for about 17 seasons(I liked him better from the original to DP),I miss Brock.without him the series would be a mess

#55 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

DBZ, although I don't enjoy it anymore, it's beyond silly.

I used to like it a lot, but when I see it now I can't help but think, "What the hell did I like about this show?"

I imagine being a VA in DBZ and I blush with embarrassment.

#56 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@Smashbrossive50 said:

I never actually knew to whether any of you have seen Detective Conan(aka Case Closed) or Crayon Shin-chan in your past.do you watch these?

I loved (and still love) Case Closed.

Dat sax.

#57 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25675 posts) -

G Gundam was my first. I remember forgetting it and would always say Naruto (although I don't like it much now). I always forgot the title of G Gundam until someone showed me a dub video of it.

#58 Edited by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

Pokemon and Gundam Wing

#59 Edited by scoots9 (3189 posts) -

Digimon all the way.

#60 Edited by lensflare15 (6163 posts) -

The only ones I remember watching as a kid were Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Ultimate Muscle, Megaman, and Digemon. Looking back I probably liked Pokemon the most of them.

#61 Edited by spike6958 (4641 posts) -

Only ones I watched where Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and Digimon. I would say my favorite between them when I was a kid was Pokemon and Dragon Ball. My favorite of the four now is still Dragon Ball.

#62 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

@SolidSnake35: you should blame Ash Ketchup for that,l know he's terrible now,because it's always about him for about 17 seasons(I liked him better from the original to DP),I miss Brock.without him the series would be a mess

More like the show in its entirety is absolutely awful. Seriously have no idea how I watched that shit as a kid.

#63 Posted by jcknapier711 (379 posts) -

Voltron

Same. I don't think the term "anime" was even around then. I remember when Akira came out everyone called it Japanimation.

#64 Posted by spike6958 (4641 posts) -

@cain006
said:

@Smashbrossive50 said:

More like the show in its entirety is absolutely awful. Seriously have no idea how I watched that shit as a kid.

Agreed. I loved the Indigo League and the Orange Islands, those two seasons where great, but after that it went downhill fast. The new Pokemon Origins shows how it should be done, and just how truly horrible the main series is.

#65 Edited by Tqricardinho (340 posts) -

Yu-Gi-Oh!

#66 Posted by playmynutz (5904 posts) -
#67 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

@cain006 said:

@Smashbrossive50 said:

Agreed. I loved the Indigo League and the Orange Islands, those two seasons where great, but after that it went downhill fast. The new Pokemon Origins shows how it should be done, and just how truly horrible the main series is.

No, the entire show is awful. I mean you could cut out half of the show and still have a bunch of filler. Even in the first couple seasons.

#68 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (23800 posts) -

Mine was Pokemon.

#69 Posted by Big_Pecks (5190 posts) -

Definitely Pokemon.

#71 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27929 posts) -

Outlaw Star was my addiction. I would rush to my TV after school to see those new episodes. Felt empty when it ended.

Dragonball Z and Pokemon should go without saying.

#72 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15635 posts) -

Ditto for Star Blazers. Cartoons..... Anime....... Not much difference to me. But, I loved Star Blazers, even The Bolar Wars.

#73 Edited by Aquat1cF1sh (10841 posts) -

I don't think anyone has mentioned Ronin Warriors so far. It was a lot like Sailor Moon with the fancy transformations and whatnot but they were all guys.

I also liked Sailor Moon (well, I still like it, in the middle of reading the manga now), Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and sometimes DBZ.

#74 Posted by DJChuy (1813 posts) -

- Dragon Ball
- DBZ
- Pokemon
- Sailor Moon
- Tenchi

Those were the ones I would watch back in the day. I remember a lot of us at school were really into Pokemon. The Pokemon movie then came out, and we all ditched the series lol.

#75 Posted by Leftel (93 posts) -

Gundam and Digimon (:

#76 Posted by jcknapier711 (379 posts) -

Cartoons..... Anime....... Not much difference to me.

I think it's mainly the idea that Anime is or was supposed to be more serious in nature. I always liked the term Japanimation better, because it describes the fact that it's culturally specific. I had someone call Futurama Anime once, and I did a facepalm, because that's a cartoon. Because you could then make a case that the Little Mermaid is Anime and while it's more or less serious in nature, it's not Anime. When Disney first started creating animated movies they weren't aimed at kids. I don't remember exactly when they started associating them with kiddy type work. I would guess that sometime around whenever Saturday morning cartoons started to become popular with kids. Although, I suppose an American company could make Anime depending on the specific style used.

#77 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Cartoons..... Anime....... Not much difference to me.

I think it's mainly the idea that Anime is or was supposed to be more serious in nature. I always liked the term Japanimation better, because it describes the fact that it's culturally specific. I had someone call Futurama Anime once, and I did a facepalm, because that's a cartoon. Because you could then make a case that the Little Mermaid is Anime and while it's more or less serious in nature, it's not Anime. When Disney first started creating animated movies they weren't aimed at kids. I don't remember exactly when they started associating them with kiddy type work. I would guess that sometime around whenever Saturday morning cartoons started to become popular with kids. Although, I suppose an American company could make Anime depending on the specific style used.

Where do you think Avatar: The Last Airbender fits into that spectrum?

#78 Posted by jcknapier711 (379 posts) -

Where do you think Avatar: The Last Airbender fits into that spectrum?

I would say that today it would be anime. If you wanted to split hairs and say that it has to be Japanese, then no, it's "just" an American animated series. It's not something that's really black and white. I would say that today anime is animation that has a distinct Japanese influence, but not necessarily done by an Asian creator. But I'm hardly the last word on the subject.

A really good example of what I'm referring to, is a movie called "Graveyard of Fireflies." That is anything but a kids movie. It deals with adult topics. (No, not *that* kind of 'adult.') On a Hollywood rating scale, it's maybe PG13, but it's not like Little Mermaid or Pokeman where it's lighthearted and cute. It's also very Japanese centric. You're not going to get any type of moralization lectures about how they got what they deserved because of Pearl Harbor, it's just a story about a kid growing up in the aftermath of WW2. It's the type of cartoon that is meant to be taken seriously and not meant for kids or set in a fantasy world.

#79 Edited by Tezcatlipoca666 (7241 posts) -

I'm going to include my teenage years in "childhood".

1. Dragon Ball

2. Pokemon

3. Inuyasha

Other notable anime I enjoyed as a teen:

- Witch Hunter Robin

- Dragon Ball Z

- Ghost in the Shell: SAC

- Naruto

- Bleach

- Gundam SEED

#80 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2864 posts) -

@cain006 said:

@Smashbrossive50 said:

when I watched this,the only way to do it is finding its comedy,and only one guy can do that,Brock.he's the only reason why I liked the show

#81 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2864 posts) -

@Aquat1cF1sh said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned Ronin Warriors so far. It was a lot like Sailor Moon with the fancy transformations and whatnot but they were all guys.

Magical Girls' anime is ++9000 times>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Magical Guys' anime

I can't see why I am not trying to compare Power Rangers with that

#82 Posted by Iszdope (9337 posts) -

Astro Boy.

#83 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2864 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Astro Boy.

Osamu Tezuka created this,and it's one of the best anime he created long way before he died in 1989

#84 Posted by Iszdope (9337 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Astro Boy.

Osamu Tezuka created this,and it's one of the best anime he created before he died

I did not know that.

#85 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2864 posts) -

true to the word all the time,we all watched anime,but what we don't realize is that the creator was the one we hardly know

#86 Posted by Iszdope (9337 posts) -

Word.