What to do, what to do....life is a real pain

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gaming4_Life
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts

Long story short, I'm done with high school. I am going to go to college for sure, but I just don't know what direction I should take. It is a toss up between computers and cars. I've always been into computers as well as cars.

If I went into computers I was looking at aome schools ike, Devry and UAT, and I woud be going for Network Security. I love computers, I love working with them--I've set up a few networks, I've built a few computers and it all is very interesting. It's all there except for me, I'm just not sure I'm ready to commit. After doing my homework (or atleast I hope) I have found out the the IT/Computer Industry is fooded with IT's and it is really difficult to land a good job nowadays. On the plus side it is clean, you do make decent money and there are so many fields to open up into.

As for auto mechanics, I've also done my research. There is a need for techs. in the world today....just ike every other industry. I was looking into going like a Wyotech or UTI. They both have great programs and it will get you in the working force. It sounds all fine and dandy now, but I have to look 10-20 years down the road....am I going to still be spinning wrenches at 40-50 years od? I know there are ways to move up....ex. Shop Foreman, Sevice Manager, Shop Teller, Owner/Operator. Once again its just super hard to commit.

Alot of people say why not try one, and if its not what you like jump over to another. Well once again easier said than done. I'm paying 30K+ for auto and 50K+ for computers. Thats alot of freaking debt. My mom and dad of course are totally against cars. They're like you been into computers and video games your whole life and your just going to drop it? They think I'm going to end up in a grease shop making crap for $$ and not really get anywhere. Its just so confusing. I'm not asking for anyone to tell me what to do or pursue, but maybe some advice or pointers of maybe where I'm not looking. I know some of you have been in my position before.

Edit: I'd also be willing to talk in a pm or on x-fire. pm me for xfire name. Thanks Mark :)

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gaming4_Life
bump, anyone? ......please......
-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts
Go with computers man, Automotive can be a major pain in the ass not to mention the heat and stress that goes with that stuff. Plus i'm pretty sure you can make more doing stuff with computers than you would being a mechanic. Unless you were working on planes or somethin.
shahkanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 shahkanon
Member since 2003 • 743 Posts
go where your heart tells you, dont listen to anyones else's bs life plan for you. Thats what got me in this **** hole of a mess.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Up to you.

What's your priority? Does your love of cars override your desire to make good money? With money, you will be free to work on, and own, the cars you truly enjoy. Youwillprobably not make as much money in automotive work as you will with computers (hence your parents going bonkers), unless you own your own shop which in itself isvery hard to do, or so I've been told. It's really up to you. I'd advise going to college and completingyour general education while working in a garage. This will allow you to explore your love for cars while stillhaving the possibilityofworking towards a degree incomputers.

Prioritize. Examine what is most important to you, which it sounds to me like you've been doing. Just because you focus on one of your passions moredoesn't at all mean you must ignore the other. Personally, I would pursue the computer degree. The extra money will allow you freedom to invest yourtime in cars.

Hope this helps.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Up to you.

What's your priority? Does your love of cars override your desire to make good money? With money, you will be free to work on, and own, the cars you truly enjoy. Youwillprobably not make as much money in automotive work as you will with computers (hence your parents going bonkers), unless you own your own shop which in itself isvery hard to do, or so I've been told. It's really up to you. I'd advise going to college and completingyour general education while working in a garage. This will allow you to explore your love for cars while stillhaving the possibilityofworking towards a degree incomputers.

Prioritize. Examine what is most important to you, which it sounds to me like you've been doing. Just because you focus on one of your passions moredoesn't at all mean you must ignore the other. Personally, I would pursue the computer degree. The extra money will allow you freedom to invest yourtime in cars.

Hope this helps.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178886 Posts
It's really your decision. Which is more interesting to you? There's no way you should let a forum decide your life. Pick what would make you happier.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Whichever makes you happier
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Computers will make you more $$$$$$$$$$.roulettethedog

That's an assumption. It assumes he will be lucky enough to get a good paying job in the field. It's very competetive and since so many computer technicians, programmers and end engineers are out there currently they aren't hard to replace which also cause their value to go down.They are both good choices. People need cars and they need electronics (especially computers)

My cousin is a software engineer. He works for Dutch Boy paint and they pay him big money to update, redesign, reformat & moderate their website.

southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts
Do neither. If you're this indecisive you are not cut out for the world of work. Run away to the hills and become a goat farmer.
Avatar image for playstation2004
playstation2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 playstation2004
Member since 2004 • 4928 Posts
Its Up to you to make a wise choise:)
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
Cars, you can actually be friendly with people. I know one guy who runs a great business and everyone who goes to him loves him. I can't imagine a character like that fixing computers instead of automobiles. Plus, probably more room for entrepreneurship.
markebici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 markebici
Member since 2005 • 781 Posts
Cars, you can be an honest mechanicand if the dishonest ones hassle you you can always hire the A-team
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
Why not major in computers and then do cars as a hobby, learn it over the years, either through college or on your own with books and practice and just fix cars on the side for friends etc. That way you have the career for computers and still be able to pacify the urge to work on vehicles
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MagnumPI

Cars, you can be an honest mechanicand if the dishonest ones hassle you you can always hire the A-teammarkebici

B.A always shows them suckers after Murdock sprays bullets at nothing with a Ruger from the back of the van. HERE! Take this Mini-14 and shoot them suckas,SUCKA!!

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts

Computers are the future. Cars will soon be obsolete, then people will no longer need to walk, move, or drive. This is the future.

That's what I say. And since you enjoy working with computers, it's awin-winsituation.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MagnumPI

Computers are the future. Cars will soon be obsolete, then people will no longer need to walk, move, or drive. This is the future.

That's what I say. And since you enjoy working with computers, it's awin-winsituation.

Cyrax-Sektor

Yeah, we will all be super fat and fused to our chairs while computers do everything. Or skinnier than a rail from starvation because computers do everything so there will be no need for any human labor nor administration therefore no one will recieve income. And since we destroyed most of the land when we industrialized there will be nothing to cultivate and live off of.

OR one day robotic endoskeletons will rise from the ashes with pulse rifles and destroy us all. Seriously, our technology will be our demise. one way or another.

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyrax-Sektor"]

MagnumPI

Yeah, we will all be super fat and fused to our chairs while computers do everything. Or skinnier than a rail fromstarvation because computers do everything so there will be no need for any human labor nor administration.

Or one day robotic endoskeletons will rise from the ashes with pulserifles and destroy us all. Seriously. Our technology will be our demise. one way or another.

It will be. We can count on that.

"Too much technology.Machines to dehumanize, machines to save our lives."

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gaming4_Life
With many talks and debates with myself....as gay as that may sound, I think I've decided to tackle the computer field. Devry starts July 16th and everything is good to go. Its a huge decision and I'll never know unless I find out on my own. I don't know where this will take me, or even if I'll like it. I'm going to in here and make it what it is. I'm going to give it my all and if I decide its not for me than so be it. Atleast I can say I tried and I wont have it buzzing around the back of my head. I figured auto is something that can be learned at a JC or a pick-up trade if you will. I hope I'm making the right choice. :D Also, thanks to all the people who posted a comment, it is greatly appreciated.
KrayzieJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KrayzieJ
Member since 2003 • 3283 Posts
I'm going to school for business, particularly management. the business world is a an ugly soulless world, but its fairly easy to get a job with a degree in management.
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gaming4_Life
I'm going to school for business, particularly management. the business world is a an ugly soulless world, but its fairly easy to get a job with a degree in management.KrayzieJ
I looked into business...what school are you attending if you don't mind me asking?
KrayzieJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KrayzieJ
Member since 2003 • 3283 Posts
[QUOTE="KrayzieJ"]I'm going to school for business, particularly management. the business world is a an ugly soulless world, but its fairly easy to get a job with a degree in management.Gaming4_Life
I looked into business...what school are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

I'm hoping I go to Bryant university in RI, the place has great executive programs and what not, but its a bit pricey. its still too early in the game for me to really get down the the bone gristle on college .
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConManWithGun
Member since 2005 • 6272 Posts
Forget about college, Start a band :D
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts

Car industry is going to have a major change as soon as fossil fuel run out, so I would not want to be caught in the middle of the mess. Computer sounds great, but it is also a very rapid changing industry, which means whatever you learned before the first half of your junior year at college will be obsolete when you graduate.

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
You don't have to decide now...just go with the flow
babaikas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 babaikas
Member since 2002 • 742 Posts
im about to be a junior and im just gonna put all my time into technology classes cuz im aiming right towards computer technology
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gaming4_Life

Car industry is going to have a major change as soon as fossil fuel run out, so I would not want to be caught in the middle of the mess. Computer sounds great, but it is also a very rapid changing industry, which means whatever you learned before the first half of your junior year at college will be obsolete when you graduate.

yian

This was and will still continue to be a major deciding factor in my choice. Auto might be the right move for me now, but just as you mentioned does it have a bright future.

You don't have to decide now...just go with the flowmmogoon
I know that, but on the other hand I would hate to go to a JC for 2-3 years working a dead end job and start a uni. or be serious about something when I'm 21+ years old.
schoeffmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 schoeffmaster
Member since 2005 • 10674 Posts

This is your descision...like when Sora made his decision to give up Namine for Kairi (COM) (This game applies to everything)
What do you truely like.

Do you like working with your hands, getting dirty, helping people with there problems, finding difficult solutions, working with unique cars, knowing you found a problem in something so huge.

Or do you like clean, staring at computer screen for endless hours, fixing componets with a small possiblity of frying a computer internals, fixing items in a computer like mother boards, finding out RAM models, etc.

schoeffmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 schoeffmaster
Member since 2005 • 10674 Posts

I also have a major decision to make...I like computers too...but...Computers are always changing...I am not a person that can get information as it comes...or understands things....quickly...I like to cook, but i dont want to be cooking forever...its a complicated decision...but only you can decide what you really want...since i have tacken one year of Culinary Arts, I am going to stick with Culinary Arts. I like it for some reason...I dont really get it either...maybe its the different setting, the crazy teachers (Nice to have teachers that can make you laugh most of the time), maybe i am competeing for something (A grade for now...money later).

Point of story: Try to get a job as either an auto mechanic or a computer...whatever...see which one you like the most...before you make one of the most difficult decisions of your life....A career...

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gaming4_Life

This is your descision...like when Sora made his decision to give up Namine for Kairi (COM) (This game applies to everything)
What do you truely like.

Do you like working with your hands, getting dirty, helping people with there problems, finding difficult solutions, working with unique cars, knowing you found a problem in something so huge.

Or do you like clean, staring at computer screen for endless hours, fixing componets with a small possiblity of frying a computer internals, fixing items in a computer like mother boards, finding out RAM models, etc.

schoeffmaster
I guess I have to look at it like that. I do enjoying working with my hands I do enjoy getting a little dirty. What I really hope to do woud be to get into some sort of custom work. Engines,Chassis, Fabrication ...etc. etc.
AL13NK1LL3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AL13NK1LL3R
Member since 2005 • 1394 Posts
i'm out of high school last year and i'm takin 3d animation and computer technician.. i built my computer from strach before takin the computer class and now i learned alot in those classes so i went back to my custom pc and fix some areas now its more better.. u will make huge money just for fixin computers..
power_rangerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 power_rangerer
Member since 2006 • 861 Posts
listen up. it doesn't really matter right now. the important thing is you go to college. most freshmen dont know what they want to do yet and they deicide after expierencing the courses and stuff. btw what school are you going to?
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gaming4_Life
listen up. it doesn't really matter right now. the important thing is you go to college. most freshmen dont know what they want to do yet and they deicide after expierencing the courses and stuff. btw what school are you going to?power_rangerer
I'm not looking into a Uni. I was looking at Devry.
power_rangerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 power_rangerer
Member since 2006 • 861 Posts

[QUOTE="power_rangerer"]listen up. it doesn't really matter right now. the important thing is you go to college. most freshmen dont know what they want to do yet and they deicide after expierencing the courses and stuff. btw what school are you going to?Gaming4_Life

your in LA? just go to pcc.

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gaming4_Life

[QUOTE="Gaming4_Life"][QUOTE="power_rangerer"]listen up. it doesn't really matter right now. the important thing is you go to college. most freshmen dont know what they want to do yet and they deicide after expierencing the courses and stuff. btw what school are you going to?power_rangerer

your in LA? just go to pcc.

I'm in Oakley, CA. Whats PCC?
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gaming4_Life
Anyone know what PCC is? Peckers Community College? :lol: