What to do if you've wrote Sketchy stuff On the Internet

#1 Edited by MDK12345 (917 posts) -

The internet is more powerful than ever. People don't get hired sometimes cuz of their facebook or something they posted. What if you used to lightly troll and you weren't harmful but you posted some stuff that seemed unconventional though very hilarious to others. Even if it couldn't be proven it was you, some would highly suspect it because of people they've asked who might know. We've all made mistakes. So does this mean now that you can't live just cuz you made some mistakes in the past on the internet? Could you not become a comedian or actor because you posted hilarious though kinda weird stuff using a handle? A lot of people write weird stuff, even on here. Does that mean you can't live or get a good job forever? I mean what kind of unfair world is that?

Remember the Tom Cruise stuff?

#2 Posted by MuD3 (1264 posts) -

i used to be a stupid teenager... i've looked back at past forum posts of mine on a different site and cringed at how horrible i used to be....

#3 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

Well, it's not like anything about my account here would make me seem sketchy!

Right?

RIIIIIIIIIGHT?

#4 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

They say that once you post something online, it's there forever. They're right but you can still set profiles to private or delete content to make it less visible. Yeah, somebody could still dig it up but most employers aren't going to dig that far.

Still, you're better off never posting stuff that could come back to bite you later on.

#5 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26156 posts) -

Didn't you just make a topic about wondering what would happen if someone famous wrote weird stuff online before they were famous? What is your obsession with this? What did you do that you seem so worried about?

#6 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -

Dont worry about all that

#7 Posted by MDK12345 (917 posts) -

@KiIIyou said:

Dont worry about all that

Why not

#8 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12890 posts) -

I come from the old school that you don't post identifying information about yourself online. I don't Facebook, Tweet or any of that crap. If you know me you've got my E-mail address, and that works just as well as it always has.

Besides, if you search my real name you'll come up with a Hollywood director, so there's that.

#9 Edited by MDK12345 (917 posts) -

I come from the old school that you don't post identifying information about yourself online. I don't Facebook, Tweet or any of that crap. If you know me you've got my E-mail address, and that works just as well as it always has.

Besides, if you search my real name you'll come up with a Hollywood director, so there's that.

But what do you do if you might have already embarrassed yourself? Is your life over?

#10 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12890 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

But what do you do if you might have already embarrassed yourself? Is your life over?

I've not made that mistake, couldn't tell you.

#11 Edited by lamprey263 (23498 posts) -

I have an alternate email account for job searching so if they search social networks by my email address they'll run into nothing, and there's already too many people with my name on Facebook for them to find me, plus I don't post my photo online I"m not that self absorbed. Besides I don't think too many human resourcing people are that clever.

#12 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
#13 Edited by MDK12345 (917 posts) -

The answers here are kind of vague. Bottom line we all make mistakes. Too bad it sometimes has to keep you up at night over nothing.

#14 Edited by MDK12345 (917 posts) -

I just read Mark Wahlberg was a criminal before and even after he was famous. Why do they let him work? Isn't that worse than posting something stupid on the net? Why does he get to work?

#15 Posted by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

Didn't you just make a topic about wondering what would happen if someone famous wrote weird stuff online before they were famous? What is your obsession with this? What did you do that you seem so worried about?

He said the "F" word on an internet forum when he was 8 years old and his dad just found out. Now he's forced to sit at the dinner table next to his dad while he chews with his mouth open until everyone has finished eating.

#16 Posted by MDK12345 (917 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

He said the "F" word on an internet forum when he was 8 years old and his dad just found out. Now he's forced to sit at the dinner table next to his dad while he chews with his mouth open until everyone has finished eating.

well that's another example. When I write about stuff like that (dad eating with mouth open) it makes me look crazy. But I never intended it to sound crazy, it just comes across that way.

#17 Edited by Kenocratic (92 posts) -

I if did write any sketchy stuff on the net I'd have no choice but to become one of the 178 viewers of this thread who did not post here (at the time I posted this). And then I'd have to become a viewer only for all other forums and never post on the web again.

#18 Edited by The_Power_of_X (453 posts) -

Don't worry Wesley, most people don't care.

#19 Edited by wis3boi (31289 posts) -

#20 Posted by awesome3496 (2162 posts) -

That's why I created a new e-mail.

#21 Posted by MDK12345 (917 posts) -
#22 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

Don't bump your topics if you don't need to. That was unnecessary. You have plenty of topics in here to talk in.