What Should Be Done to Improve America?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BranKetra (49382 posts) -

The negativity threads are not stimulating, so instead of participating in them, I made a topic about what steps can be taken to make the United States better.

Here are several specific areas that could be focused upon:

• Economics
  • Science
  • Religion
  • Politics
  • Entertainment

If there is anything else, feel free to express your ideas. There are a few things before we begin.

Please do not post the following as they will be deleted:

• "Nothing can be done" with a negative perspective
  • Anti-American propaganda
  • Satire

This is not a thread to start arguments or continue previous ones. It is about bringing ideas together to improve the quality of life in the United States. If anyone considers something in particular to be great, I encourage you to tell your government representatives such as your city mayor, state governor, and congressional representatives. There are plenty of others to contact. Those are a few examples.

---------------------------

I will start.

Although not as important as other certain issues, the entertainment industry could represent the demographics of the United States better and it is a relevant issue. A high percentage of films star a Caucasian male as the main protagonist and that does not make them bad films. However, nearly half of the population are females, so there could be more representation. Likewise, there are millions of other ethnicities such as African Americans, Latinos, and those of Asian lineages. Indians and many others could be shown on film so they could associate with someone of prestige. However, more often than not, these ethnicities are given secondary roles which presents a message of subordination. We are beyond Manifest Destiny in the United States of America and that should be shown fittingly.

While the entertainment industry could improve as mentioned, political parties are a more immediate concern. Last year, the Democratic and Republican parties showed that there are members who are willing to risk the credit of this entire country in order to accomplish their agendas. That was a sign that there needs to be a fail-safe plan in the event that such a stalemate occurs ever again. As a precaution, a list for an emergency congress could be setup who could act on the behalf of an unwilling congress for the sake of our national integrity. The demographics of Congress would remain the same, but the actual individuals would be different. By establishing a secondary Congress, the world would be at ease because instead of a crisis with impending consequences for every citizen of the U.S. and everyone we do business with there would be sustained operational integrity. If a secondary Congress fails to vote successfully, the Executive and Judicial branches would collaborate to compensate. In the event those branches fail, there would be an emergency nationwide vote by eligible citizens.

#2 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Remove Obama.

#3 Edited by BranKetra (49382 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Remove Obama.

Why, exactly?

#4 Edited by toast_burner (22425 posts) -

Remove religion from politics.

#5 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9044 posts) -

Get rid of religion from existence. Period.

#6 Posted by AgentZerp (11 posts) -

Please bear with me. I know it might sound crazy at first, but it makes sense.

Bring back segregation. Wait! I know what you are thinking. Do not worry, I am not a racist. I have a lot of black and mexican friends. It's just a lot of people out there are racist. Not just white people. Black people hate white people. Brown people hate black people. It is a never ending cycle of hate.

And I know you want to remove any negative thoughts, but I just don't have hope that the masses can learn to love each other. You can't talk about how to improve something unless you acknowledge it has faults. And the fault of America is that as a group we are bigots and we are fueled by hate, not love. The only way to change that would be to completely tear America apart and rebuild it. But then it wouldn't be America anymore.

So instead of totally destroying AMERICA, we just break it into smaller, equal pieces. If everyone was separated, I think violence would go down a lot. We wouldn't have a situation like we do in Ferguson right now.

Thank you for your time.

#7 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6621 posts) -

You cant just tell people what to say before they say it

#8 Posted by lostrib (41197 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

You sure? because he just did.

#9 Edited by TheFlush (5611 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

Remove religion from politics.

That would be quite an improvement indeed.

#10 Posted by BranKetra (49382 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

The content I mentioned we could go without would be considered off-topic. I was simply clarifying. If you wish to challenge it, you are welcome to contact the Community Managers and expound upon your views.

#11 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6621 posts) -

@lostrib: Are you just gonna bend over and let him do this to you?

#12 Posted by lostrib (41197 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@lostrib: Are you just gonna bend over and let him do this to you?

In what way am I letting him "bend me over"? And what exactly is he doing to me?

#13 Posted by BranKetra (49382 posts) -

Gross

#14 Posted by AgentZerp (11 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

The content I mentioned we could go without would be considered off-topic. I was simply clarifying. If you wish to challenge it, you are welcome to contact the Community Managers and expound upon your views.

Is this not the off-topic discussion forum?

#15 Posted by lostrib (41197 posts) -

@agentzerp said:

@BranKetra said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

doesn't mean you can go off topic in a thread

#16 Posted by AgentZerp (11 posts) -

@lostrib: You are going off-topic in this thread right now.

#17 Posted by lostrib (41197 posts) -

@agentzerp said:

@lostrib: You are going off-topic in this thread right now.

Then flag my post and move on

#18 Posted by BranKetra (49382 posts) -
@lostrib said:

@agentzerp said:

@BranKetra said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

doesn't mean you can go off topic in a thread

Correct. There would not be much point in this forum if we used the cyclical logic in which because one makes a thread in a forum unrelated to video games, i.e. Off-Topic, being off-topic in those threads should be allowed.

#19 Posted by AgentZerp (11 posts) -

@BranKetra: Sorry, there seems to not be an option to flag your post for being off-topic.

#20 Posted by Motokid6 (6147 posts) -

Religion is a pretty big anchor.

#21 Posted by MrFreehuggs (101 posts) -

The problems with America and the world in general are much more minor than the past. People who say that the world is going to aren't thinking it through. Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect but we are better off now more than ever. Here's a great article somewhat on topic.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20731_5-amazing-pieces-good-news-nobody-reporting.html

#22 Edited by Serraph105 (28386 posts) -

Are moderators allowed to create threads with specific rules now?

I would add upgrading our infrastructure to your list above, preferably using scientific research to do so.

Also I have heard an excellent argument for the removal of our patent system, or at least reform it so ideas and innovations can enter the public domain quicker so that new innovations can happen all the sooner. The internet is actually an excellent example of how free ideas has lead to new creations much faster than they might have otherwise.

#23 Edited by BranKetra (49382 posts) -

@agentzerp, Check your inbox.

@Serraph105 said:

Again, I simply explained certain things which are commonly posted already against the rules. I am not altering the rules of the Off-Topic Forum whatsoever and changes have yet to be made if they ever will be.

Back to the topic:

@BranKetra said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Remove Obama.

Why, exactly?

No response

Moving on

#24 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6218 posts) -

More simple, natural lifestyle

Not "multicultural" but more organic.

Like in RPG's they have elves, dwarves, orcs, turians, slarians, krogans, etc each with their own leader, sometimes they mix but they have their own traditions and places.

Feminism is an aspect of capitalism, to double the labor pool, double taxation, and keep wages low. Women should be portrayed in movies how THEY prefer, not as males prefer as characatures of "guns and boobs magazine."

Less computing, more looking people in the eye.

I view too much govt as very bad, because as govt wields more power it becomes a tool of the powerful to set their own agendas.

I view "development" as bad because our science is way ahead of our social and cultural development.

I think the 1950's were the apex of civilization and humanity has been going downhill ever since.

#25 Posted by Slashless (9514 posts) -

Remove arbitrary rules and guidelines solely meant to make someone feel better.

#26 Edited by Serraph105 (28386 posts) -

here is the story on the patent system that I mentioned above and why these two gentlemen would like to see it removed.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/07/09/329895088/episode-551-the-case-against-patents

#27 Edited by BranKetra (49382 posts) -

@Slashless said:

Remove arbitrary rules and guidelines solely meant to make someone feel better.

I find the United States being governed by such things to be difficult to accept especially considering it is the most powerful nation on earth.

#28 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Remove Obama.

Why, exactly?

His immigration policies suck ass.

His foreign policies suck ass.

His economic policies suck ass.

His energy policies suck ass.

His blatant disregard for the constitution sucks ass.

#29 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@agentzerp, Check your inbox.

@Serraph105 said:

Again, I simply explained certain things which are commonly posted already against the rules. I am not altering the rules of the Off-Topic Forum whatsoever and changes have yet to be made if they ever will be.

Back to the topic:

@BranKetra said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Remove Obama.

Why, exactly?

No response

Moving on

Sorry, but I have a life and don't have all day to just sit on these forums to instantly respond.

#30 Posted by Serraph105 (28386 posts) -

@MrFreehuggs said:

The problems with America and the world in general are much more minor than the past. People who say that the world is going to aren't thinking it through. Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect but we are better off now more than ever. Here's a great article somewhat on topic.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20731_5-amazing-pieces-good-news-nobody-reporting.html

indeed that is a good article, we are clearly doing some things that are working.

#31 Posted by BranKetra (49382 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: That is reasonable, but I waited more than an hour. >_>

#32 Posted by playmynutz (6271 posts) -

We need a mission to mars

#33 Edited by KHAndAnime (14393 posts) -

Tax system needs to be completely reworked. Tax loopholes for big businesses need to be removed. Tax incentives shouldn't encourage lifestyle changes (probably should be removed too). Instead of funding a "God help us all" military capable of taking on the entirety of the planet, we should focus on spending money efficiently. One less bomb bought could build multiple schools.

Less imperialism. Less pretending that we live in a democratic society, and pretending that democracy is inherently good and needs to be spread to every corner of the Earth. All faith-charged political debates should automatically succumb to secularism (like abortion), logic, and freedom - rather than forcing all of America to adhere to the values of the Christian faith.

#34 Posted by airshocker (30715 posts) -

Systematically reduce the size of the federal government. Obviously it all can't be done at once because we'd never be able re-employ the people that we get rid of. This also has to be a long-term proposition. It's not something we can just pass a law and say "We've won!"

For this to happen people need to realize a few things: 1) The larger the federal government, the more freedoms we will lose. 2) The larger the federal government the more taxes it will need. We can't keep raising taxes.

I'll address #1: The founding fathers NEVER intended for the federal government to be as it is today. They intended for the states to, more or less, run themselves. That's no longer the case. The states and federal government are so intertwined that it's going to be challenging to check the power that the federal government can put to bear.

The more power you give something, the more it will want. This actually goes beyond being republican or democrat. No matter how much either party may wish, they will never be forever in control. So the idea of balancing the federal government should, in theory, help politics in general. No one party can push agendas without compromise.

#2: This is self-explanatory. The federal government can't keep raising taxes on people. Not until states tax less. In reality, most of our pay checks should go to the state. Not the fed.

#35 Edited by airshocker (30715 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Tax system needs to be completely reworked. Tax loopholes for big businesses need to be removed. Tax incentives shouldn't encourage lifestyle changes (probably should be removed too). Instead of funding a "God help us all" military capable of taking on the entirety of the planet, we should focus on spending money efficiently. One less bomb bought could build multiple schools.

Less imperialism. Less pretending that we live in a democratic society, and pretending that democracy is inherently good and needs to be spread to every corner of the Earth. All faith-charged political debates should automatically succumb to secularism (like abortion), logic, and freedom - rather than forcing all of America to adhere to the values of the Christian faith.

What about basic human rights? Doesn't all of humanity deserve them?

#36 Posted by KHAndAnime (14393 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@KHAndAnime said:

What about basic human rights? Doesn't all of humanity deserve them?

What are basic human rights? What am I suggesting that of which violates these rights?

#37 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

• Economics- Federal reserve, corruption
  • Science- Scientific institutes funded by global elites
  • Religion- Churches have been infiltrated through the state 501(c)(3)
  • Politics- Puppet governments- Republicans and Democrats funded and controlled by global elite
  • Entertainment- Media owned by global elites controlled agenda and globalist run agenda

All are controlled by globalist elites until they fall america will continue to.

#38 Posted by magicalclick (23486 posts) -

@agentzerp:

No, you move to South California and educate yourself.

#39 Posted by magicalclick (23486 posts) -

Not sure what to change. The problem is with people and it is hard to change the people at large scale. There is no way to force people to accept a more realistic competitive international workforce system. So, just let it rot until it can't rot anymore. Then, through hardship comes with a newer Gen how would be more excited to work than feeling they got abused by employers all the time.

#40 Edited by Serraph105 (28386 posts) -

Another thing that can and should be done is more money going towards foreign aid. Not only is it the right thing to do from a humanitarian perspective it brings countries out of poverty which in turn puts us and them in a situation to do business with each other which stimulates our economy in a positive manner.

Currently we only spend 0.8% of our annual budget on foreign aid yet if you ask people they think we spend 25% and believe we should only spend 5-10%. Think what could be accomplished if we donated as much as what people believed we should spend.

http://annualletter.gatesfoundation.org/#section=home

#41 Edited by Jebus213 (8919 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Get rid of religion from existence. Period.

#42 Posted by brimmul777 (1412 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@BranKetra said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Remove Obama.

Why, exactly?

I have to agree with this man.The only thing Obama did that was great was to be the first black president of the United States.And I'm not saying that to be racist,because I'm not.He truly is a HORRIBLE leader.You Americans need another Reagan or even Clinton type president.The government you have now is pulling everybody down.I'm not giving my two cents to offend Americans,I like the States.But the fact is the last two or three presidents really put the U.S.A down the toilet.

#43 Edited by RushKing (1780 posts) -

The proletariat should organize a general strike, take over the industries and make decisions democratically. With armed citizens' militia for defence, proletarian dominance is maintained.

We do not plunder, as we want this new economy meet the needs of all. We first take inventory of all the stores and empty dwellings. After discovering there is enough to meet everyone's needs, people reassured and with solidarity with their brothers and sisters, will not be compelled to scramble and hoard. Everyone can now take what they need free of charge.

Efficiency would no longer be measured in a reductionist manner. With collective decision making, we would make dramatic improvements to transportation infrastructure. Researchers, scientists would no longer have to rely on monetary investments.

In the absence of wage systems, people could work 4 hour days if they like. We wouldn't need to do redundant jobs for survival. Now arrived is a new era of free autonomous labour.

With the head of western imperialism slain, the third world now has a chance to regain control of their own resources. The revolution can now spread throughout the earth.

#44 Edited by Serraph105 (28386 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@BranKetra said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Remove Obama.

Why, exactly?

I have to agree with this man.The only thing Obama did that was great was to be the first black president of the United States.And I'm not saying that to be racist,because I'm not.He truly is a HORRIBLE leader.You Americans need another Reagan or even Clinton type president.The government you have now is pulling everybody down.I'm not giving my two cents to offend Americans,I like the States.But the fact is the last two or three presidents really put the U.S.A down the toilet.

from an unemployment perspective we have gone from falling to 10% to growing to 6.2%. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we hit the 5.5-5.6% around January or February. I'm just going off general trends though.

YearJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDecAnnual
#45 Edited by commander (8473 posts) -

#46 Posted by dave123321 (34303 posts) -

Combat global warming.

Get rid of coperate slavery

Make race blind policies in disbursement of federal loans

Prevent people from being mean in debates

#47 Edited by Kenocratic (107 posts) -

I'm glad I read all the way through the first post because I caught the last thing about putting some national issues to a public vote. If only that could happen to resolve some problems. But that may be one of the most difficult new rules/laws to put into place.

#48 Posted by Serraph105 (28386 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Combat global warming.

Get rid of coperate slavery

Make race blind policies in disbursement of federal loans

Prevent people from being mean in debates

I second the first two, haven't really thought about the third (thus am fairly neutral), and as for the last? Try listening to Intelligence Squared. It's not always civilized debate, but usually remains so.

#49 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7865 posts) -

Reinvest in education in this country. We're falling behind the rest of the 1st world rapidly in science and mathematics. An educated population is at the heart of any successful country and work force.

#50 Posted by AgentZerp (11 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

@agentzerp:

No, you move to South California and educate yourself.

What?