What separates catholicism from protestantism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IronBeaver
Member since 2009 • 1986 Posts

Topic: I feel like it has something to do with the Virgin Mary, but I really don't know. And I know OT has a fair amount of people with religious expertise.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Topic: I feel like it has something to do with the Virgin Mary, but I really don't know. And I know OT has a fair amount of people with religious expertise.

IronBeaver

Catholics: Mary reamined a virgin after Jesus birth, the passage referring to his 'brothers and sisters' simply mean his followers, Mary didn't die but ascended to heaven because she was born without original sin

Protestants: Mary had other children as mentioned in the passage of his 'brothers and sisters' and she died like the rest of us.

Also, Catholics believe the dead can intervene in prayer, protestants believe you only pray to God in the name of Jesus.

Catholics also use ritual in praise services (prayer candles, stations of the cross, etc.) and protestants believe such is heresy.

And the big one: Catholics believe you must be right with the Church when you die to go to heaven, and that you can move in and out of righteousness. Protestants believe salvation is based on faith alone and that once you have received Christ you are forever bound for heaven regardless of your future activities.

Edit edit edit: My spelling hasn't woken up yet.:?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Altar boys

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

Catholics go to church every Sunday, Protestants only have to go Easter and Christmas.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Pretty much this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ninety-Five_Theses