What's your current living situation?

• 50 results
#1 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Do you own a home? Rent? Live with your parents? Homeless and hang out in internet cafes and post on GS forums all day?

I currently own a home going on 5 years now (25 to officially own it, but I won't be in this location that long).

#2 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -

I have owned my house for 8 years and can never move because of my underwater mortgage.

#3 Edited by mindstorm (15247 posts) -

This very moment I live in the campus housing my seminary offers with 3 other guys. However, in a week I am moving across state to stay with some friends of my fiance for a month or so. I'm currently in the process of becoming associate pastor of her church so once that process ends I will be living in the church's parsonage. When we get married in June she'll move in with me.

#4 Posted by Korvus (6183 posts) -

I live with my wife in an apartment but we're looking to buy a house somewhere this year.

#5 Posted by Assassin_87 (2314 posts) -

Living in an apartment with my wife. We aren't interested in setting up shop permanently where we are, nor do we really know where we want to be, so the idea of buying a house isn't really top priority right now.

#6 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@Assassin_87:

Best advice I can give you when the time comes - TAKE YOUR TIME finding a home. It took us a few months and I think the realtor was getting a bit frustrated with us, but when you're making probably the single most expensive purchase of your life, it's worth it to be cautious.

#7 Edited by elkoldo (1375 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Homeless and hang out in internet cafes and post on GS forums all day

Something close to this

#8 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3210 posts) -

i live in my parents basement

#9 Edited by elkoldo (1375 posts) -
@ShepardCommandr said:

Haha...no wonder, a son whose parents ain't worth a 100 bucks to him , deserves that punishment.

#10 Posted by Vatusus (5062 posts) -

almost 27yo here. Employed (for now). Still live with parents. In my country is pretty normal though. Its not like in the states where if you're over 20 and still live with parents is shame or somethin. I know plenty of over 30s who still live with parents. Its normal because with the crisis my country is in, most youth people cant find a steady job for shit. Even those with a college degree are unemployed so they have two options: Live with parents and find a crapy job (like me) or migrate

#11 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

almost 27yo here. Employed (for now). Still live with parents. In my country is pretty normal though. Its not like in the states where if you're over 20 and still live with parents is shame or somethin. I know plenty of over 30s who still live with parents. Its normal because with the crisis my country is in, most youth people cant find a steady job for shit. Even those with a college degree are unemployed so they have two options: Live with parents and find a crapy job (like me) or migrate

I don't know where you hail from, but that sounds a lot like the USA. If living with my folks was still an option, I'd be doing it. Smart move.

#12 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

Mooching off of my parents.

#13 Posted by certifieddata (46060 posts) -

I rent the guest house on my parents property, they get some extra money to spend and I get to live in a nice neighborhood for cheap, win/win.

#14 Posted by outworld222 (2498 posts) -

I live with my Mom but I have to pay $1500 to stay in the house :/ ridiculous I know.

#15 Edited by Dogswithguns (10881 posts) -

own a house but this town not so great... gonna sell it gonna stay and move out of this town someday, not sure what to do.

#16 Posted by magicalclick (23499 posts) -

@jasean79:

I do not agree completely. Buying a house is time critical when the market is on the rise rapidly. And mortgage rate changes almost everyday.

#17 Edited by johnd13 (7999 posts) -

I'm 21 and live with my parents. I don't pay them anything but I don't leech them either. When I go out I rely on my own money(gifts from grandparents mostly) and I also work part-time at my university every now and then so I make something on my own as well though they still haven't paid me >.>.

#18 Edited by magicalclick (23499 posts) -

@outworld222:

Holy cow. Why is it so high? And how are you going to save up like this?

#19 Posted by outworld222 (2498 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

@outworld222:

Holy cow. Why is it so high? And how are you going to save up like this?

Heh, I make $3000 a month, shouldn't be a problem. But I have other expenses too.

#20 Edited by plageus900 (1208 posts) -

I recently separated from the Air Force. Now I'm going to school for an IT Administration degree while using my GI Bill and working part time. My wife works full time at a women's clothing store. We're currently renting, but once I get my degree and find a job, we plan on buying a house wherever we end up.

It sucks going from a Net household income of 65k a year to piddle shit, but its a means to an end.

#21 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

I live with my parents. Though it's not perfect here, it's better than living with strangers.

I'd rather stay at home for a couple more years and save every extra dollar I have than waste it on renting a one-bedroom crap shoot for $900+ per month. Like I've said before, I live in a college town and rent is high because of it. Hopefully I'll have enough saved by the time I'm ready to leave that I can put a down payment on a house. I'd rather be paying into something that's mine than a landlord's pocket.

Though I live rent-free, I contribute to the household. I help pay for groceries and am the main money-saver in the family, I spend my free time hunting deals to save my parents money on stuff they need and want. Just yesterday I set them up with a tv-pc home theater system (which means free movies and TV shows forever), "new" entertainment center, and theater-quality speakers for about $15. I earn my keep.

#22 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

I live with my aunt and cousin in a four bedroom duplex apartment. I'm 25.

#23 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20912 posts) -

I rent. Well...kind of....

#24 Posted by Curlyfrii87 (14979 posts) -

I live with my wife in our home that we've owned for almost 3 years now.

#25 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@magicalclick:

There are a lot of factors that weigh in when purchasing a home - credit rating of the buyer/s, area, property taxes, etc. These are things that need to be considered when buying. We were able to purchase a home when the government still had the $8,000 homeowners credit going on. That's the only reason why I bought when I did. I probably would've continued to rent until I had about that much saved up.

#26 Edited by redstorm72 (4629 posts) -

I still live with my parents. I've got one year left of school, and I'll probably keep living here until I find a decent job afterwords. My parents are cool with it, so I don't feel pressured to leave.

#27 Posted by Cyberdot (3873 posts) -

Living with mum at the moment, so I'm rolling in money, it's a great opportunity to save up before moving out. But I'm paying her £200 a month which isn't bad at all.

#28 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23831 posts) -

I live in a van down by the river!

http://grapegr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/4955553-e1374123995945.jpg

#29 Posted by comp_atkins (31824 posts) -

wife and i own a home. DINKing it up pretty good currently.

#30 Edited by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Live in my parents house. Probably be here for a long while, but I love it.

#31 Edited by EPICCOMMANDER (744 posts) -

Well right now I am living at my university, and my dormitory was just remodeled a few months ago, and it's A-grade awesome.

The rooms are bigger, there's silent air conditioning/heating units to replace the monstrosities that we had before, and the doors and walls are twice as thick, so it's soooooooooo much quieter.

#32 Edited by sukraj (23680 posts) -

meh chana no live but get squat ok.

#33 Edited by thereal25 (579 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

How did I guess lol

#34 Posted by osan0 (12917 posts) -

i rent. no intention to buy at the moment. with the way employment is at the moment it would be very irresponsible to take on a mortage. maybe i will have enough saved up to buy outright in the next housing market crisis....theres bound to be one somewhere in 30-40 years time right? :P.

#35 Posted by ferrari2001 (17207 posts) -

I rent a house with several friends. We split the cost so it's actually pretty dang affordable. Allows me to save up money.

#36 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8571 posts) -

I bought a house last march. Doing all kinds of work to it. Remodeled bath last year. Poured new concert front porch few weeks ago and have stone veneer coming tomorrow to redo a area of front of house.

#37 Edited by Boddicker (2984 posts) -

I was living in another state and staying with my Aunt while I went to college. I graduated valedictorian in November and moved back home to my parents' while I looked for a job.

Then I got the news that my brain tumor is back and more malignant. So instead of getting my dream job I'm preparing for death (average lifespan for this grade tumor is 3 years).

Fuck my life.

PS. My parents live in the country so I'm stuck with shitty satellite internet. MP gaming is impossible.

#38 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2712 posts) -

@outworld222 said:

I live with my Mom but I have to pay $1500 to stay in the house :/ ridiculous I know.

A month??? There's tons of places that cost less than 1500 a month. You might be getting robbed here, dude.

#40 Posted by outworld222 (2498 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@outworld222 said:

A month??? There's tons of places that cost less than 1500 a month. You might be getting robbed here, dude.

I know. But its a family member dude. I know though.

#41 Posted by one_plum (6362 posts) -

I sleep in a racing car. Do you?

#42 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

still alive :D

#43 Posted by CommandoAgent (807 posts) -

@roulettethedog said:

Living in a house that I am trying to sell.

Good luck selling it my freind i heard the market is a tough place now even for apartments and houses.

#44 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58226 posts) -

I rent an apartment. My living room is adorned with a coffee table, a fridge and a TV from the 90s.

#45 Posted by Detroit222 (5327 posts) -

I bought my parents' house and they flew off to Florida where they lived happily for many years. I paid it off 20 years ago. When my Dad died, Mom moved back in with me until she died last year. It's an old house (1948) in an old neighborhood but it's comfortable and I keep it up, This year I need to buy a new furnace and central air. The thing about owning (versus renting) is that something is ALWAYS breaking down.

#46 Edited by Iostlemon (90 posts) -

Intended to buy a house last year, but turns out renting is alright too. The price is a bit expensive for the area, but we get what we pay for.

Every time I think I should move back in with my parents to save some money, I visit them and remember why I left lol.

#47 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@Detroit222 said:

I bought my parents' house and they flew off to Florida where they lived happily for many years. I paid it off 20 years ago. When my Dad died, Mom moved back in with me until she died last year. It's an old house (1948) in an old neighborhood but it's comfortable and I keep it up, This year I need to buy a new furnace and central air. The thing about owning (versus renting) is that something is ALWAYS breaking down.

Don't I know it! My house was built in the 30's and so far I've had to replace the water heater, roof, and will need new kitchen flooring, yard redone, and carpeting for family room...bad part is, I've only been here 5 years. BUT, at least I have something to show for it - equity. So, when it's time to sell and move on, I have more than just my name.

#49 Edited by PonchoTaco (2487 posts) -

Currently living alone in an apartment. Getting married next month. Will probably continue renting for another year or so and depending on finances at the point, we will get a house.

#50 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3702 posts) -

I own a home. It's only about 15 years old and is about 2300 sq ft. Looking to upgrade in the next few years though. I need more than 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.