What programming languages?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProjectAeos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProjectAeos
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I'm an aspiring game designer and I would like to know what languages are most important during game development. I want to start from complete scratch. Like potentially creating a game engine for a specific game genre. What are the game developers using now? And what languages will be used for the future of game design?

Thank you.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

c++, and good luck. Game programming isn't that easy that you're going to be able to just start with making your own engine.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Java, C++.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Start with classless C++ or regular C to get a feeling of what programming is like. Then switch over to C# to do actual programming. I wouldn't suggest anything else before you have enough experience to understand how computer logic ticks.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

C++, Java, C# would be your general go to languages for games.

In the future? Hopefully D or Rust will replace C++, but for now, C++ is the biggie here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

C++. Oh and good luck. ;)

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Game designers don't use programming. Even if you are interested in programming, what language you pick matters far, far, far less than learning the core concepts of any one language you are familiar with.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

You should start with C and C++ to get the basic principles of programming and then move to Java and C#.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@johnd13 said:

You should start with C and C++ to get the basic principles of programming and then move to Java and C#.

This.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@N30F3N1X said:

Start with classless C++ or regular C to get a feeling of what programming is like. Then switch over to C# to do actual programming. I wouldn't suggest anything else before you have enough experience to understand how computer logic ticks.

^^

So much this. Start with straight C first. If you want to get into building engines ground-up, it would help to know some Assembly as well if you ever want to get anywhere near the metal.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@projectaeos said:

I'm an aspiring game designer and I would like to know what languages are most important during game development. I want to start from complete scratch. Like potentially creating a game engine for a specific game genre. What are the game developers using now? And what languages will be used for the future of game design?

Thank you.

C++, java and open GL i believe

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

http://www.rastertek.com/tutdx11.html

This is a nice place to look at if you want to start from a complete scratch. however it require to know C++.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

You're better off going into the business world with programming skills. In game design, you're constantly in and out of work. Most of the jobs you'll get, if you even get your foot in the door, will be contract jobs...without benefits...and you'll be lucky to work 6 months out of the year.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather have a steady job with benefits (health, 401k, paid vacation).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Learn them all and be able to build simple games in all of them. Every experience you have will contribute to your ability to problem solve on a larger scale with huge projects. Everyone else these days goes to university and gets a "game design" degree, and learns how to become part of a massive developer studio and build one part of a game for years on end.

Grow your repertoire of languages and skillsets (i.e. specific design ideas) and build what you want. Also, watch Extra Credits on Youtube.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I'll second this again.

Studying C++ is best for gaining a proper understanding of object-oriented programming. Once you're familiar with it, all the others, including C# and Java will be very easy to learn.

C# is becoming very popular as a game-programming language. There are many reasons to learn C#, but only one need be cited: It's the language used by Unity 3D, a popular game engine that makes it easy to write games for multiple platforms---everything from iOS to Android to Windows to Mac to PS3 to Xbox360 to Wii etc.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

@johnd13 said:

I'll second this again.

Studying C++ is best for gaining a proper understanding of object-oriented programming. Once you're familiar with it, all the others, including C# and Java will be very easy to learn.

C# is becoming very popular as a game-programming language. There are many reasons to learn C#, but only one need be cited: It's the language used by Unity 3D, a popular game engine that makes it easy to write games for multiple platforms---everything from iOS to Android to Windows to Mac to PS3 to Xbox360 to Wii etc.

I third this. I just completed a game development class last semester at my University and this is pretty much what my professor told us. Good luck, hopefully it doesn't turn you away like it did for me and some of my friends. :(