What music do you listen too?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by worknow222 (1404 posts) -

So what music does gamespot's Forum goers listen too............... Me I listen to all kinds of metal from thrash to black, I listen to rock and or roll, I listen to country, opera, joe cocker and those that are similar, hell the only thing I don't listen to is pop and rap, so what do you listen to and how do you feel about others that listen to a certain genre, I say go for ti and enjoy yourself no need to care what others think

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14784 posts) -
  • Oldies (ex. Frankie Valli or Dion and the Belmonts)
  • Soundtracks (think Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer, Les Miserables)
  • Pop (Pink or Ricky Martin)
  • Ballads
  • Salsa
  • Merengue
  • Reggaeton
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Some rock but nothing heavy.
#3 Posted by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -

http://www.last.fm/user/bottlefreak90

That should tell you enough.

#4 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I like people not necessarily genres of music.

I like....:

Freddie Mercury

Chief Keef/GBE

Gucci Mane

Jimi Hendrix.

I like a lot of the new guys coming out of Chicago at the moment. Young Chop mainly.

#5 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

Listen to a lot of different music

I like classic rock and rapmusic the best

Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Tupac, JayZ, Jimi Hendrix, Bad COmpany, Xzibit, Dr Dre, Big Pun, Wu-Tang, The Who, TOm Petty, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, The Eagles, ACDC,Guns And Roses, sublime, Bob Marley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, smashing Pumpkins, etc... (lots of others)

The best of the best, thats what i have and listen to.

#6 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9807 posts) -

Puerto Rican stuff.... thats generally it

#7 Posted by Shmiity (5145 posts) -

I'm a new wave/britpop princess. The killers, The Strokes, Bloc Party, The Smiths, Oasis...

#8 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Tupac, JayZ, Jimi Hendrix, Bad COmpany, Xzibit, Dr Dre, Big Pun, Wu-Tang, The Who, TOm Petty, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, The Eagles, ACDC,Guns And Roses, sublime, Bob Marley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, smashing Pumpkins, etc... (lots of others)

This guy knows what's up. Those plus old Outkast, Goodie Mobb, UGK, Ball & G, Geto Boys, T-Rock, Big Krit, Killer Mike, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audioslave, RATM, Alice in chains, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and shit like that.

#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (88651 posts) -
  • Death metal
  • Black metal
  • Groove metal
  • Delta blues
  • Avant-garde jazz (1950's)
  • Classical and Romantic era classical
  • Psytrance
#10 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15660 posts) -

@British_Azimio said:

Dude, how can you just listen to two movements of LvB 5? I don't even...................

Anyways, classical (and most genre's found within, such as opera, symphony...)

#11 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@36Ounces said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

This guy knows what's up. Those plus old Outkast, Goodie Mobb, UGK, Ball & G, Geto Boys, T-Rock, Big Krit, Killer Mike, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audioslave, RATM, Alice in chains, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and shit like that.

Thanks for adding that list.

everyone on that list I listen to as well.

#12 Posted by Iszdope (10121 posts) -

Full metal maelstrom.

#13 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1345 posts) -

All sorts

• Metal: Motorhead, early Metallica, Judas Priest, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Pantera, Hatebreed, Carcass, Nile
  • Rap: Notorious B.I.G., Mobb Deep, Killah Priest, Kool Keith, Del, Eazy-E, Tha Eastsidaz, Public Enemy, Roots Manuva, Dam Native
  • Reggae: Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, Capleton, Lee Scratch Perry, Bounty Killer
  • Blues: Howlin' Wolf, T-Bone Walker, Albert King, Lightnin' Hopkins
  • Various genres of Classic Rock: Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top, The Clash, Nazareth, The Smiths, Sex Pistols

I also enjoy watching live concerts and freestyle rap battles on Youtube, Philly Swain is my favourite battler.

#14 Edited by sukraj (23032 posts) -

80'S Pop Music

#15 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (23844 posts) -

Metal, rock, video game music, and soundtracks. I'm open to some other genres as well.

#16 Posted by GazaAli (22958 posts) -

I listen to different genres, although I click more with electronic and indie music in general. Some of the bands/musicians I listen to are:

• Karin Driejer Andersson (aka Fever Ray)
  • Royksopp
  • Warpaint
  • Thom Yorke
  • Lamb
  • Daft Punk
  • Soley
  • Bjork
  • Autostrad (Jordanian indie band)
  • Nurses

These are my favorite and most listened to bands/musicians. I still listen to random individual works by a myriad of bands/musicians.

#17 Edited by TheFlush (5565 posts) -

Mostly alternative electronic music:

• Deep House
  • Nu-Disco
  • Techno

Artists I like: Björk, Hercules & Love Affair, DJ Koze, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Gold Panda, Four Tet, Plaid, Azari & III, Boards of Canada, Future Sound of London, Baths, Beacon, Hudson Mohawke, Flying Lotus, Yagya, Essay, Club 8, Motorcity Drum Ensemble, Flume, How To Dress Well, Jon Talabot, Jon Hopkins, Gus Gus, Ken Ishii, The Knife, Surkin, Horse Meat Disco, Shit Robot

#18 Posted by hippiesanta (9884 posts) -

Punk, Metal, shock rock and Videogame score

#19 Posted by hippiesanta (9884 posts) -

@sukraj said:

80'S Pop Music

you mean like this?

Olivia Newton John

Jimmy Adja .... lol

#20 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16314 posts) -

Right now?

Alone - Ted Nugent

I usually listen to more alternative rock though.

Or newer stuff:

I Will Steal You Back - Jimmy Eat World

#21 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Progressive Breaks

Tech-Trance (Andy Moor, Mark Sherry, Cosmic Gate)

Hard Rock (Sevendust, Three Days Grace)

Christian Rock (Ashes Remain, Sent By Ravens, Nine Lashes)

Classical

#22 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16314 posts) -

In addition to what I posted earlier, here are other samples of what I usually listen to.....

Marcy Playground

George Thorogood

The Cult

Dandy Warhols

Tom Cochrane

Natalie Merchant

The GoStation

From Ory

#23 Posted by Celldrax (14626 posts) -

The big ones for me are death metal, thrash, black metal, folk and pagan metal, some symphonic, power, and NWOBM.

I do also like classical/orchestral and 8-bit stuff.

#24 Posted by girlshavefuntoo (120 posts) -

I primarily listen to music without lyrics, because most of today's lyrics are retarded, so primarily electronic music, and the occasional video game OST.

#25 Edited by plageus900 (1081 posts) -

Classic Rock - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.

80's Music- Tom Petty, Prince, Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, etc.

90's Rap - Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Nas, Ice-T, Cypress Hill, etc.

#26 Edited by -Toshy- (1353 posts) -

http://www.last.fm/user/idontknoanymore

My top tracks for the last 3 months should give a decent idea of what I listen to.

#27 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (971 posts) -

I go through phases of different styles that are not tied to any particular genre.

Right now, I'm getting into modern female vocals; Flyleaf, Portishead, Slot, and others. It will change in about a month

#28 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3607 posts) -

Mainly pop and rock.

#29 Posted by konvikt_17 (22245 posts) -

i listen to all kinds. though id say my main would be rock oriented.

top 5 bands/artists:

Hollywood Undead

Tool

Carrie Underwood

Nero

Breaking Benjamin

#30 Edited by br0kenrabbit (13033 posts) -

I like all kinds of music, from swing to classic rock, a bit of 80's (the 80's alt stuff, not the hair band crap), a bit of grunge and post-grunge, punk, Appalachian folk music, bluegrass, and so on.

The three genre I absolutely cannot stand are: rap, hip-hop (both because of the repetitive and non-progressing beats) and country (I hate that twang, both on the guitar/steel and in the vocals).

I also listen to a lot of weird shit that's hard to classify, like Mr. Bungle.

#31 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20874 posts) -

My last.fm

#32 Edited by Kage1 (6748 posts) -

Hardcore Polka and The Village People

#33 Edited by cfisher2833 (1709 posts) -

Favorite bands

Must listen song from each:

Isis

Baroness

Tool

Silversun Pickups

Radiohead

The End

Lamb of God

Red Sparowes

Nekrogoblikon

The Mars Volta

Oh, make sure you have a good bass setup as most of the songs I like are very bass heavy.

#34 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

a lot of it is just artist by artist, but here are some of the musicians i've been listening to the most:

gordian knot

stinking lizaveta

shostakovich

dax riggs

yeah yeah yeahs

blotted science

#35 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16237 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mXYbHiPRnI

@Ring_of_fire said:

@British_Azimio said:

Dude, how can you just listen to two movements of LvB 5? I don't even...................

#teamCminor

I have the Karajan 1963 cycle (which I've read is his best cycle) and for the longest time it was my go-to cycle, but the lack of exposition repeat in the fourth movement really bothers me now, as well as the the omission of the scherzo-trio repeat of the thrid movement, which I know is pretty much a standard but I feel the structure and balance of the piece works better with an elongated fivefold scherzo. This way the scherzo no longer feels like just a transitional movement, but an integral part of the overall structure and narrative of the piece. Having the C minor 'fate motif' scherzo section return in full force after the bouyant C major trio section just works better. Rather than immediately giving up and cowering into the mousy tiptoe-y scherzo variation that usually follows the trio, C minor tries (and fails) to impose its dominance over C major, which makes the second appearance of the trio even more powerful, as there's an almost indomitable naivety to the C major trio that no amount of chest beating from C minor is going to change. C minor really should have made an appearance in the second movement, because quicker than he could toot that four note motif of his, C major has waltzed in and chatted up his Ab major girlfriend and invigorated and lightened the mood.

The repeat of the scherzo section also adds to that brilliant moment at the end of the fourth movement development section when the C minor scherzo section briefly reappears. It's almost ike some sort of cartoon villain refusing to be beaten, and with one last ditch attempt tries to take out the hero with his back turned but instead trips over his feet and falls onto his own sword, completely unaware to the hero. Obviously that moment still works without the repeat in the third movement, but it's just so much more brilliant when we already know that C minor has already tried to overcome C major before and failed miserably. At no point during the reprise of the scherzo section in the fourth movement do we ever feel that the symphony is going to fall back into darkness, and that's what makes this moment so fucking funny, which is why I also love the long dominant-tonic coda since it's as if C major is saying "bitch, try coming back from this."

I have two versions of the fifth that include all the repeats and that is Abbado's most recent cycle and Gardiner's. I love Gardiner's cycle; the tempo and the chamber music type clarity he gets from the orchestra is pretty damn refreshing. He also rocks the best Missa Solemnis I've heard.

#36 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

A lot of devil worshiper music listed.

#37 Posted by Iszdope (10121 posts) -

Ave Sathanas!

#38 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Wilfred_Owen said:

My last.fm

Oh my god....

..... You're almost 30 >.>

#39 Posted by xdude85 (4427 posts) -

Classic, punk, alternative, industrial, shoegazing, psychedelic, and ambient music.

#40 Posted by KingsofQueens (2217 posts) -

Rock, Metal, Punk, Funk, Indie, Classic, New Wave, Alternative etc.

I have an eclectic variety of CDs/Vinyl collection. Almost a thousand.

#41 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

Well, mostly everything aside from that real crazy dark metal stuff, pop, twangy country, and foreign music that involves..tubas. Everything else is fair game.

Trip Hop, Reggae, Indie, rock, and hiphop(not rap) are my typical go-to genres though

#42 Edited by lamprey263 (24130 posts) -

I've been listening to the Lorde album recently, good stuff.

#43 Edited by chaplainDMK (6841 posts) -

Mostly various sub genres of metal, the classic heavy to death metal, blues, psychedelic, some indie here and there, all kinds of rock and a shitload of folk and progressive, and I throw some jazz and classical in here and there

Currently my favorite bands/artists are: Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Mastodon, Gojira, Opeth, Tame Impala, Joan Baez, Tom Waits, The Doors, Pearl Jam, Led Zep, Cream and Johnny Cash

#44 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15660 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mXYbHiPRnI

@Ring_of_fire said:

@British_Azimio said:

#teamCminor

I have the Karajan 1963 cycle (which I've read is his best cycle) and for the longest time it was my go-to cycle, but the lack of exposition repeat in the fourth movement really bothers me now, as well as the the omission of the scherzo-trio repeat of the thrid movement, which I know is pretty much a standard but I feel the structure and balance of the piece works better with an elongated fivefold scherzo. This way the scherzo no longer feels like just a transitional movement, but an integral part of the overall structure and narrative of the piece. Having the C minor 'fate motif' scherzo section return in full force after the bouyant C major trio section just works better. Rather than immediately giving up and cowering into the mousy tiptoe-y scherzo variation that usually follows the trio, C minor tries (and fails) to impose its dominance over C major, which makes the second appearance of the trio even more powerful, as there's an almost indomitable naivety to the C major trio that no amount of chest beating from C minor is going to change. C minor really should have made an appearance in the second movement, because quicker than he could toot that four note motif of his, C major has waltzed in and chatted up his Ab major girlfriend and invigorated and lightened the mood.

The repeat of the scherzo section also adds to that brilliant moment at the end of the fourth movement development section when the C minor scherzo section briefly reappears. It's almost ike some sort of cartoon villain refusing to be beaten, and with one last ditch attempt tries to take out the hero with his back turned but instead trips over his feet and falls onto his own sword, completely unaware to the hero. Obviously that moment still works without the repeat in the third movement, but it's just so much more brilliant when we already know that C minor has already tried to overcome C major before and failed miserably. At no point during the reprise of the scherzo section in the fourth movement do we ever feel that the symphony is going to fall back into darkness, and that's what makes this moment so fucking funny, which is why I also love the long dominant-tonic coda since it's as if C major is saying "bitch, try coming back from this."

I have two versions of the fifth that include all the repeats and that is Abbado's most recent cycle and Gardiner's. I love Gardiner's cycle; the tempo and the chamber music type clarity he gets from the orchestra is pretty damn refreshing. He also rocks the best Missa Solemnis I've heard.

For the Third movement "trio" repeat: Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe also does the repeat of the whole trio, while Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra under Bruno Weill does not. They are two HIP ensembles, although Harnoncourt/COE probably more so. I understand where you are coming from, but I prefer not having the repeat of the full trio. It is not notated in the scores I am seeing (should get a "real" score and not off IMSLP to confirm), and I think repeating it disrupts the internal drama/narrative LvB put into the piece. I think having the full repeat of the trio diminishes the brilliance of LvB connecting the movements and adding more weight to the fourth movement. Either way, the brilliance of the symphony is that it is really a unified symphony. It is not 4 separate pieces combined into one with key relations. Regardless, it would be interesting to know what edition Harnoncourt/Gardiner used.

For the repeat of the exposition in the 4th movement, I tend to agree with you. There is no reason to ignore the repeat.

#45 Edited by sukraj (23032 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

80'S Pop Music

you mean like this?

Olivia Newton John

Jimmy Adja .... lol

Yes

#46 Posted by Iszdope (10121 posts) -

@sukraj: Do you like Transvision Vamp?

#47 Edited by sukraj (23032 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj: Do you like Transvision Vamp?

They're ok but I mainly listen to

Culture club

phil collins

micheal jackson

stevie wonder

howard jones

erasure

#48 Posted by brimmul777 (1240 posts) -

I love classic rock,AC/DC being my favorite band,alongside Led Zeppelin,among others.What I don't like is glam bands.I also like OLD country music,Johnny Cash,Hank Snow,etc.....Don't give me any new age music=Crap.

#49 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

Romantic/Folk classical music, some bits of rock, Doom/Black/Symphonic metal, a little bit of musical theatre, Rammstein and NIN.

#50 Posted by brimmul777 (1240 posts) -

@Barbariser: Rammstein is a great band.