What medical conditions you have/had?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by TehFuneral (8029 posts) -

Hello OT!

Its been a long time since I came here, so I decided to comeback with a thread.

Tell us what medical problems you have/had and the stories behind them, should be fun to read.

I'll start:

I have a posterior tibialis dysfunction in my left foot that is causing me a flat foot in one leg. It hurts when I'm stressed and I want to do a surgery but my parents won't give me their blessings, so I'm dealing with it conservatively with custom converse insoles and painkillers when it really hurts.

I also have acanthosis nigricans and high insulin levels. My entire family have diabetes so it looks like I'm joining them soon. sad.

Whatchu'bout you OT?

#2 Posted by Celldrax (14562 posts) -

I've been susceptible to heat rashes for the last number of years.

A mild annoyance for the most part.

It can be like a burning pins and needles at the worst of times though, but that rarely happens (or I just take care to make sure that doesn't happen).

#3 Posted by Iszdope (9632 posts) -

I have a broken heart.

#4 Posted by Iszdope (9632 posts) -

Serial.

#5 Posted by deeliman (2386 posts) -

I had appendicitis about 5 years ago, I had pretty severe abdominal pain so I went to my family doctor and she diagnosed it as appendicitis. After the diagnosis I went to the hospital to have my appendix removed. I also had Testicular torsion, so I had to have a surgery for that too. Easily the most painful experience I've ever had.

#6 Posted by SOedipus (6801 posts) -

Mild restrictive lung disease. It just makes me cough a lot every couple of months.

#7 Edited by Iszdope (9632 posts) -

@deeliman said:

I had appendicitis about 5 years ago, I had pretty severe abdominal pain so I went to my family doctor and she diagnosed it as appendicitis. After the diagnosis I went to the hospital to have my appendix removed. I also had Testicular torsion, so I had to have a surgery for that too. Easily the most painful experience I've ever had.

I had that.

Fucking ouch!

#8 Edited by hippiesanta (9793 posts) -

High blood preasure. I got migrain after splosion

#9 Posted by jasean79 (2356 posts) -

I had impetigo as a kid. I was only like 4 or 5, but I still have memories of the "scrubbing" every night by my mom. You know how I got it? At a public pool. Guess there wasn't enough chlorine in the water to kill all the disease those dirty kids brought.

I have bad knees too; the right is worse off than the left because of an earlier operation. I'm not looking forward to getting older!

#10 Edited by Korvus (3174 posts) -

Had really severe asthma from the age 3 to 12 and for a while there during my teenage years had a bout with depression and OCD.

As for now, nothing to report other than the leftovers from the injuries I got during my martial arts years...

#11 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2381 posts) -

i suffer from a severe case of laziness

#12 Edited by thegerg (14826 posts) -

Nothing too serious. I've had the flu a few times, dealt with a little bit of PTSD, had chlamydia once, chickenpox as a kid, and have had food poisoning.

#13 Edited by Boddicker (2488 posts) -

I don't want to talk about it.

#14 Posted by Allicrombie (25122 posts) -

chronic anemia.

#15 Posted by Master_Live (14162 posts) -

I had asthma when I was a kid but not anymore. I'm really healthy, just drink your milk kids!

#16 Posted by dave123321 (33750 posts) -

Alopecia

#17 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9488 posts) -

other than being blind and having diabetes when i was a kid, nothing.

Never had anything, never broke nothing, never had to go to the hospital, tho I havent been to a doctor in almost a decade so i could have some issues and not know about it.

But fuck it, I dont have money for none of that

#18 Edited by Kevlar101 (6050 posts) -

Never had anything, never broke nothing, never had to go to the hospital, tho I havent been to a doctor in almost a decade so i could have some issues and not know about it.

I am confused, need details...

#19 Posted by TwistedShade (3149 posts) -

Fortunately I haven't had any serious lasting conditions but when I was in my earlier Teens I had Kyphosis of the spine due to poor posture from sitting on the computer all day. That lead to me having some pretty horrible bladder/bowel issues, but fortunately it cleared itself up after I started physical therapy and then started exercising regularly.

Other then that I haven't really had anything, I had minor asthma as kid but that never got serious, and the most annoying issue I have today is that I feel I've developed (If that's possible) lactose intolerance.

#20 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9488 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

I am confused, need details...

I just mean that I cant see shit with out my glasses.

And I have some sort of diabetus when i was a child use to get shots every month or some. IDK what that was about to be honest... it just disappeared or something, cuz I've never heard about it ever again pass 11 years old.

#21 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8203 posts) -

Nothing serious thankfully. My wife has cerebral palsy though.

#22 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10118 posts) -

uterus didelphys. :(

#23 Posted by Iszdope (9632 posts) -

Apparently I also have SchizoAffective Disorder.

SAD.

#24 Posted by MirkoS77 (7119 posts) -

Aggressive Fibromatosis (a baseball sized tumor in my chest) and Bipolar II. Also recently told by my doc my bad (LDL) cholesterol level is elevated which is a precursor to heart disease. But I'm working on that.

#25 Posted by plageus900 (993 posts) -

chronic exertional compartment syndrome

#26 Edited by super600 (30275 posts) -

A really mild form of cerebral palsy or something related to it and a few other problems, but nothing life threatening.

#27 Edited by outworld222 (2405 posts) -

I have my triglycerides ( A form of cholesterol, the fatty type) at above 500. it should be less than or equal to 150. I take pills for that.

I also have depression, or so the doctor says.

#28 Edited by one_plum (6342 posts) -

I think I'm gonna end up in a mental hospital if career search continues to suck, and I'm not gonna be the doctor.

Overreaction, but it's a rant post.

#29 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17124 posts) -

I have had asthma since I can remember. Has improved over the years as it used to put me in the hospital all the time when I was a kid. Still not completely gone though, granted my being overweight probably isn't helping...

Lately I have been dealing with controlling my chronic sinus infections I have been getting thanks to me having a deviated septum and living in Michigan with bad seasonal allergies. I think I have finally gotten that under wraps thank God. Was seriously ending up with anywhere from 3-5 or so sinus infections a year, each which involved like 10 days of anti-biotics to treat...

I also have a hiatal hernia which has been a bitch this last week or so. Been throwing up once a day basically every day lately as it is out of control at the moment.

Not the healthiest individual unfortunately. Pisses me off because all the men on my Dad's side of the family are fairly healthy and over 6 foot, whereas thanks to all these health problems I got locked down at 5 foot 3 and have never been able to feel healthy....

#30 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16669 posts) -

I have type 1 Diabetes. So daily injections for me! Woohoo!

#31 Posted by gamerguru100 (10491 posts) -
@jasean79 said:

I had impetigo as a kid. I was only like 4 or 5, but I still have memories of the "scrubbing" every night by my mom. You know how I got it? At a public pool. Guess there wasn't enough chlorine in the water to kill all the disease those dirty kids brought.

I have bad knees too; the right is worse off than the left because of an earlier operation. I'm not looking forward to getting older!

Google Images "impetigo"

*regrets it*

#32 Posted by sukraj (22066 posts) -

I have Diabetes but i have to take tablets everyday.

#33 Posted by always_explicit (2702 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

SAD.

Pretty sure its seasonal affective disorder.

#34 Edited by always_explicit (2702 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Google Images "impetigo"

*regrets it*

The pictures on google seem to be far more extreme than the symptoms I suffered with when I caught it as an adult after a holiday to Cuba. Perhaps the impact on children is far greater....or the images on google are simply extreme cases. The main issue with it is that its highly highly contagious also the blisters tend to ooze when broken and spread across the skin, that may be why these google children look to have such extreme symptoms, because they break these blisters.

Anyways its far from pleasant... but speaking for experience the google images didnt seem entirely representative.

#35 Posted by jasean79 (2356 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:
@jasean79 said:

Google Images "impetigo"

*regrets it*

The pictures on google seem to be far more extreme than the symptoms I suffered with when I caught it as an adult after a holiday to Cuba. Perhaps the impact on children is far greater....or the images on google are simply extreme cases. The main issue with it is that its highly highly contagious also the blisters tend to ooze when broken and spread across the skin, that may be why these google children look to have such extreme symptoms, because they break these blisters.

Anyways its far from pleasant... but speaking for experience the google images didnt seem entirely representative.

It's probably worse for kids because their immune system isn't fully equipped to handle the severity of the infection.

#36 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16669 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Is it type 2 then?

#37 Edited by Iszdope (9632 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@Iszdope said:

SAD.

Pretty sure its seasonal affective disorder.

Yeah, that too.

Edit: SAD.

#38 Posted by sukraj (22066 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Is it type 2 then?

yes I have to control my sugar intake I have to try not to eat too many sugary snacks.

#39 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16669 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@sukraj said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Is it type 2 then?

yes I have to control my sugar intake I have to try not to eat too many sugary snacks.

Yeah it's a bit similar with me, but the biggest difference is that whenever I want to eat anything with any amount of carbs in it (unless it's negligible) I have to inject insulin. As I understand it, with type 1 your pancreas basically stops working altogether and with type 2 your pancreas works but it doesn't work as well as it should.

Either way Diabetes sucks :P

#40 Posted by AFBrat77 (24069 posts) -

Cancer (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma), a Blood Cancer cousin to Leukemia.

Beat it, I'm about 1.5 years from chemotherapy, all my hair is back, looks like nothing even happened, but I won't be considered cured for a few more years.

#41 Posted by Detroit222 (5279 posts) -

Appendicitis. I was on vacation in Canada when I started having pains in my stomach. Finaly I fell to the floor, started screaming and was rushed to the hospital in Stratford (Ontario). They cut me open and just then my appendix burst. Surgeon later said it was like "Alien". ;+D

Anyway, I was in the hospital for a week just to make sure it didn't go dirty (Peritonitis). Was really weak for months afterward.

#42 Edited by sukraj (22066 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@sukraj said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@sukraj said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Is it type 2 then?

Yeah it's a bit similar with me, but the biggest difference is that whenever I want to eat anything with any amount of carbs in it (unless it's negligible) I have to inject insulin. As I understand it, with type 1 your pancreas basically stops working altogether and with type 2 your pancreas works but it doesn't work as well as it should.

Either way Diabetes sucks :P

Yeah it sucks I really want to eat sugary snacks but I can't in case my sugar levels start to rise.

I'm 43 and the dieabetic nurse told be that enventually I will have to have injections when I'm older because there wont be enough insulin in my body.

How long have you been diebetic?

#43 Posted by sukraj (22066 posts) -

I'm also taking anti depressants

#44 Posted by Iszdope (9632 posts) -
#45 Edited by sukraj (22066 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj: Join the club.

it sucks doesn't it how long have u been taking them.

#46 Edited by Iszdope (9632 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

About three years.

You?

#47 Posted by sukraj (22066 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

About three years.

You?

About 11 years lol

#48 Edited by thehig1 (1353 posts) -

I have Rosacea, a mild skin irritation on my cheeks that flares up every now and then, nothing to really complain about

#49 Posted by Iszdope (9632 posts) -
#50 Posted by The-Apostle (12166 posts) -

Currently: Sciatica
Had: Aneurism