What it like growing up with siblings?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chicken453 (2038 posts) -

I grew up as an only child, and my family is extremely small. Growing up there were no other kids in my family so I was the only child in the family aswell. This caused me to play by myself alot and caused me to get so used to my own company that I would often get burnt out when playing with other kids and would just go off and do my own thing. 

So yea what's it like or what was it like? 

#2 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -
I have four siblings, we are super close and have lots of fun together.
#3 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -

I have a sister. Haven't talked to her in a year, she's a piece of shit.

#4 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -
I have six siblings and a bazillion cousins. If you would like, you can have some of them.
#5 Posted by gamerguru100 (10606 posts) -

The_Lipscomb

:lol:

I like your posts. :P

#6 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Only have a stepsister and I sort of grew up around her when I was younger but she is way older than me so we never really had much in common. 

#7 Posted by MrsSolidSnake (4902 posts) -

Arguments every day but I always had a friend. I wish I had a sister though.

#8 Posted by AussieePet (11424 posts) -

The_Lipscomb
So you have a peace of shit for a sister? the reason you haven't talked for a year is cause you flush her down the toilet? lol
#9 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

gamerguru100

:lol:

I like your posts. :P

It's true what I said too.. but hey, it is what it is. haha. Thank you sir, I appreciate the thoughtful comment.
#10 Posted by Zuzuvela (2148 posts) -
Depends on the siblings tbh Have two sisters and a brother Hate thebrother. get along with my sisters but arent particularly close because of the age gap
#11 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

AussieePet
So you have a peace of shit for a sister? the reason you haven't talked for a year is cause you flush her down the toilet? lol

Sure, why not?
#12 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

You're chummy for a bit until the younger one gets to be around four or five, then you fight constantly, then the older one hits puberty and you barely talk to each other at all, and then when you're finally both past your teenage years you can have a decent relationship when you're both old enough to be too busy to ever see each other that often.

#13 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -

You're chummy for a bit until the younger one gets to be around four or five, then you fight constantly, then the older one hits puberty and you barely talk to each other at all, and then when you're finally both past your teenage years you can have a decent relationship when you're both old enough to be too busy to ever see each other that often.

theone86
Unfortunately the forming a decent relationship as adults doesn't always happen.
#14 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

Having a big sister who punches like a lumberjack isn't fun, but you learn how to dodge punches and weighted fish bowls.

#15 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

Sister(younger) and a brother(older). Good for the most part, you start missing them as you get older.

#16 Posted by Floridaman46 (250 posts) -

Same here.BUT I have a BIG Family..

#17 Posted by lamprey263 (23899 posts) -
like this <--- that different colored text is what's called a hyperlink, click it to see what it links to
#18 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6802 posts) -
It's the definitive growing up experience.
#19 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
I have a brother three years younger than me. As long as I've known him, I have never had a closer friend.
#20 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

I have three sisters. Not fun.

#21 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Michael0134567

For them. :P

#22 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

CHOASXIII

Hey, I'm Mr. Fun. :x

#23 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Michael0134567

I know :)

#24 Posted by roulettethedog (10970 posts) -

I have a decent sister and a piece of garbage brother. It all depends on your siblings.

#25 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

CHOASXIII

I know :)

Aw, thank you. :oops:

#26 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

So whiny. lol

#27 Posted by soulless4now (41374 posts) -
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

AussieePet

Good one, AP. lol
#28 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

So whiny. lol

Pete-B

No I'm not. :)

#29 Posted by soulless4now (41374 posts) -

I don't have any. I did want a brother when I was younger mainly for the fighting aspect aka body slams. 

#30 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
Its good.
#31 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pete-B"]

So whiny. lol

Michael0134567

Surprised you kept a straight face. :P

#32 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="Pete-B"]

So whiny. lol

Pete-B

Surprised you kept a straight face. :P

:|
#33 Posted by johnd13 (8135 posts) -

I have one brother and he was and still is an ass to me most of the time. So it was pretty annoying and painful growing up with him.

#35 Posted by Shadow4020 (1964 posts) -

Sometimes it sucks, but I have a twin sister and it was fun being in the same grades growing up. I also have an older brother who was pretty awful to me, but now that we're older things have changed for the better.

#36 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10687 posts) -

I have two brothers. We don't always get along but that's what families are like, I guess. 

I wouldn't have liked being an only child. 

#37 Posted by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

I have older brother which I hate and a older sister which I respect.

#38 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

I have a half-sister I occasionally see, and our relationship is "complicated." ;)

#39 Posted by meatgrinderz (1329 posts) -

I have a brother  3 years older than me. As kids we got along well and played together, as teenagers we got along okay, as adults we don't get along at all. My mother was sick about a year ago and we were both in our hometown visiting, he picked a fight with me in the hospital  after cussing out my father (all of this in front of my mother who was in a hospital bed) and after that I quit speaking with him. Haven't spoken since then, I really don't like him as a person and no longer feel any sort of obligation to keep in contact. 

#40 Posted by johnd13 (8135 posts) -

I have a half-sister I occasionally see, and our relationship is "complicated." ;)

TheFallenDemon

Niiice!

#41 Posted by CursedChamp (506 posts) -
Growing up with a younger sister got annoying at times but I would never trade her in.
#42 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

Older brother and sister,brothers awesome,sister has alot to be desired.But yeah I suppose it was cool when we were all young but we're all doing our own things now.

#43 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
sh!tty, I'll probably in uni right now if I didn't have 2 brothers who are studying in unis right now.
#44 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

Hell on one side, fine on the other. I have 4 siblings: 2 older half-siblings that are 8 and 10 years older than me from my dad's previous marriage, and 2 younger sisters from his current one, 1 and 6 years younger. My older siblings never lived with me, though they were around a lot (it wasn't like most people's half-siblings where they'd only see them maybe at a party every couple of years. My brother and sister lived in the same town as me, watched us when we were younger, and sometimes just visited for the hell of it.)

My 2 younger sisters are some of the brattiest, self-absorbed, controlling little sh*ts you'd ever have the unpleasantness of meeting. My 19 year old sister still thinks she's entitled to many things and she won't help anyone with anything else in return. If my parents give her gas money, she refuses to go pick up our younger sister from sports on the grounds that "it isn't her responsibility". There was one occasion that she was left at the school for 4 hours until her coach had to bring her home because my sister just didn't feel like picking her up.

My 14 year old sister thinks she has complete control over every situation, meaning she barks orders at everyone most of the day and gets really p*ssed if you don't listen. This illusion is just fed by my parents because they do what she says most of the time because they don't want to deal with her screaming at them (she has an extremely high pitched voice and she knows we all find it annoying). She's also incredibly impatient, unwilling to help in any situation, and her favorite tactic to use in an argument if you manage to beat her is "shut up, now you're just being the stupid one by keeping this going", even though she was the one that started it, after she realized how stupid she was. She never admits she was wrong about anything, and this is a major problem when you ask her questions. Also being one of the dumbest people I know (I haven't met many people who thought the Spanish glossary at the back of her history book meant the book was broken), she never really knows the answer to a question you ask her. This would be fine if she'd just say she didn't know, but she makes things up to appear intelligent. Normally this would just be annoying, but she never knows the times she has to be somewhere or needs picked up because she never reads the schedules for soccer and basketball, so she'll make a time up. Then she normally yells at my parents for being late for picking her up or dropping her off too early.

My older brother was a pothead and a drunk until 4 years ago when he nearly killed himself in a car wreck.

My older sister was the only one I really ever got along with, but being 10 years older than me and living with her mother, it wasn't much of a consolation.

I know my explanations come out like a kid complaining about minor things, that they really are just annoying, but after 20 years of dealing with them, my sisters are just, in a nutshell, plain nasty people. My 19 year old sister has become a lot more tolerable over the years, but she still acts like she's better than you and apparently lies about her home life so her friends feel sorry for her. I was told by one of her friends that I was scum for getting her in trouble so many times when we were younger, and the event that she told me, that I broke my cousins cell phone and blamed it on her (When I was 13-14, my cousin left her cell phone at my house, my sister was trying to text people on it, managed to break it in half, then hid it under a pile of laundry), really threw me on edge because that particular story was what I consider the worst experience I had with my sisters. I had my parents explain to her that it was actually my sister that broke her cell phone and that day ended with me being blamed with no evidence other than my sister's saying it was me, being beaten with a belt NUMEROUS times by my dad until I'd tell them I broke it, and finally being grounded for the remainder of the year from video games, TV, and friends and family. It was March when this happened. This whole time I was being beaten and screamed at, ON SUSPICION, my sisters were listening to all of it and just laughed. Her friend apologized and didn't talk to my sister for a while. Last I heard, most of my sister's friends refuse to believed her when she tells them childhood stories now. It's not that she was acting like a 13 year old would, but that she took every experience I had with her with me getting in trouble, switched the roles, and used them to gain false sympathy from her friends. This was just last year.

My younger sister is apparently so nasty to everyone she knows, I've had kids in her grade come up to me and tell me that she doesn't really have any friends and most, if not all, of her classmates despise her for the way she treats people, like that they are only there for her entertainment and use. She refuses to help a group she's a part of with a group project if she knows there is a smart kid in the group because she believes they'll do the work for her, she doesn't like being talked to by anyone she considers "inferior" to her, which is practically everyone except the sports people, and she is apparently just nasty to talk to. I've been told she HAS to make her opinion the one that is true in a discussion, and she starts whining if someone challenges it. The one person in school she ever actually hung out with outside school hates her now because my sister apparently started hitting her amd yelling at her if she voiced her own opinions about ANYTHING. She's got the makings of a psychopathic tyrant.

#45 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

Depends on the upbringing. In their youth, siblings can be very competitive, but as adults they can be quite the opposite.

#46 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -
Growing up it was fun, but I hardly ever speak to them now.
#47 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Having Two triplet brothers aswell as 2 older brothers and an older sister it's been nice. We've all gotten along fine and it's nice always having someone to talk to between my brothers, still will find it interesting how life affects us since we'll pretty much be growing old together. ;)

#48 Posted by gamerguru100 (10606 posts) -

Hell on one side, fine on the other. I have 4 siblings: 2 older half-siblings that are 8 and 10 years older than me from my dad's previous marriage, and 2 younger sisters from his current one, 1 and 6 years younger. My older siblings never lived with me, though they were around a lot (it wasn't like most people's half-siblings where they'd only see them maybe at a party every couple of years. My brother and sister lived in the same town as me, watched us when we were younger, and sometimes just visited for the hell of it.)

My 2 younger sisters are some of the brattiest, self-absorbed, controlling little sh*ts you'd ever have the unpleasantness of meeting. My 19 year old sister still thinks she's entitled to many things and she won't help anyone with anything else in return. If my parents give her gas money, she refuses to go pick up our younger sister from sports on the grounds that "it isn't her responsibility". There was one occasion that she was left at the school for 4 hours until her coach had to bring her home because my sister just didn't feel like picking her up.

My 14 year old sister thinks she has complete control over every situation, meaning she barks orders at everyone most of the day and gets really p*ssed if you don't listen. This illusion is just fed by my parents because they do what she says most of the time because they don't want to deal with her screaming at them (she has an extremely high pitched voice and she knows we all find it annoying). She's also incredibly impatient, unwilling to help in any situation, and her favorite tactic to use in an argument if you manage to beat her is "shut up, now you're just being the stupid one by keeping this going", even though she was the one that started it, after she realized how stupid she was. She never admits she was wrong about anything, and this is a major problem when you ask her questions. Also being one of the dumbest people I know (I haven't met many people who thought the Spanish glossary at the back of her history book meant the book was broken), she never really knows the answer to a question you ask her. This would be fine if she'd just say she didn't know, but she makes things up to appear intelligent. Normally this would just be annoying, but she never knows the times she has to be somewhere or needs picked up because she never reads the schedules for soccer and basketball, so she'll make a time up. Then she normally yells at my parents for being late for picking her up or dropping her off too early.

My older brother was a pothead and a drunk until 4 years ago when he nearly killed himself in a car wreck.

My older sister was the only one I really ever got along with, but being 10 years older than me and living with her mother, it wasn't much of a consolation.

I know my explanations come out like a kid complaining about minor things, that they really are just annoying, but after 20 years of dealing with them, my sisters are just, in a nutshell, plain nasty people. My 19 year old sister has become a lot more tolerable over the years, but she still acts like she's better than you and apparently lies about her home life so her friends feel sorry for her. I was told by one of her friends that I was scum for getting her in trouble so many times when we were younger, and the event that she told me, that I broke my cousins cell phone and blamed it on her (When I was 13-14, my cousin left her cell phone at my house, my sister was trying to text people on it, managed to break it in half, then hid it under a pile of laundry), really threw me on edge because that particular story was what I consider the worst experience I had with my sisters. I had my parents explain to her that it was actually my sister that broke her cell phone and that day ended with me being blamed with no evidence other than my sister's saying it was me, being beaten with a belt NUMEROUS times by my dad until I'd tell them I broke it, and finally being grounded for the remainder of the year from video games, TV, and friends and family. It was March when this happened. This whole time I was being beaten and screamed at, ON SUSPICION, my sisters were listening to all of it and just laughed. Her friend apologized and didn't talk to my sister for a while. Last I heard, most of my sister's friends refuse to believed her when she tells them childhood stories now. It's not that she was acting like a 13 year old would, but that she took every experience I had with her with me getting in trouble, switched the roles, and used them to gain false sympathy from her friends. This was just last year.

My younger sister is apparently so nasty to everyone she knows, I've had kids in her grade come up to me and tell me that she doesn't really have any friends and most, if not all, of her classmates despise her for the way she treats people, like that they are only there for her entertainment and use. She refuses to help a group she's a part of with a group project if she knows there is a smart kid in the group because she believes they'll do the work for her, she doesn't like being talked to by anyone she considers "inferior" to her, which is practically everyone except the sports people, and she is apparently just nasty to talk to. I've been told she HAS to make her opinion the one that is true in a discussion, and she starts whining if someone challenges it. The one person in school she ever actually hung out with outside school hates her now because my sister apparently started hitting her amd yelling at her if she voiced her own opinions about ANYTHING. She's got the makings of a psychopathic tyrant.

WiiCubeM1

Holy wall-o-text. 

You wanna summarize that? 

#49 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

gamerguru100

Holy wall-o-text. 

My sisters are text-book definitions of self-righteous bitches.

#50 Posted by gamerguru100 (10606 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

WiiCubeM1

Holy wall-o-text. 

My sisters are text-book definitions of self-righteous bitches.

That's much better. :P