What is your theory on why racism exists?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

Racism exists because people are racist

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh for fucks sake. Some stereotypes exist because it's cultural. That does not mean accepting that different cultures are different is racist. You abuse the word racist.

What the hell are you talking about? Where the hell in any of my posts did I suggest that accepting that different cultures are different is racist? Where did I say that some stereotypes are or aren't cultural, and what the hell does the fact that a stereotype is cultural have to do with racism?

Are you okay, bro? I'm a little bit concerned. Usually you make at least a little bit of sense, but right now you're talking complete and total nonsense.

I mentioned stereotypes and you went on a rant that they are racist. They are not. For instance....Italians like pasta. It's cultural but also a stereotype. I'd bet not ALL Italians like pasta but they are known for it. And thinking Italians like pasta does not mean you are racist. You ARE stereotyping them however. Not that that is a bad thing. It's just accepting that each culture has it's own identity.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

People are assholes.

And assholes come in every color.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

A lack of understanding regarding that people come from different places and upbringings. Not everyone has had the same privileges. Different cultures places emphasis on different values - leading to inevitable negative stereotypes.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh for fucks sake. Some stereotypes exist because it's cultural. That does not mean accepting that different cultures are different is racist. You abuse the word racist.

What the hell are you talking about? Where the hell in any of my posts did I suggest that accepting that different cultures are different is racist? Where did I say that some stereotypes are or aren't cultural, and what the hell does the fact that a stereotype is cultural have to do with racism?

Are you okay, bro? I'm a little bit concerned. Usually you make at least a little bit of sense, but right now you're talking complete and total nonsense.

I mentioned stereotypes and you went on a rant that they are racist. They are not. For instance....Italians like pasta. It's cultural but also a stereotype. I'd bet not ALL Italians like pasta but they are known for it. And thinking Italians like pasta does not mean you are racist. You ARE stereotyping them however. Not that that is a bad thing. It's just accepting that each culture has it's own identity.

1) I never said that stereotypes are racist.

2) As for why I replied to you in the first place, it was because of this..."TC is about stereotypes....that isn't racism. 7

As for why racism exists.....ignorance really."

Now, I'm not entirely sure what "TC" means. But when I see it used, it seems like people are usually directing it towards the person who started/created the topic/thread. So if I'm even sort of in the ballpark with regards to what "TC" means, that struck me as very weird. Because you're saying that the TC "is about stereotypes" when stereotypes are just one of the things he/she mentioned. He/she also mentioned "ignorance", which you yourself stated as the reason why racism exists. So it seemed really really weird that you'd say that the TC is about stereotypes, when he/she clearly mentioned "ignorance". And ignorance happens to be YOUR idea for why racism exists.

So, that little oddity set off my alarm bells.

Second thing was the "7" that you included in your post. As in, "TC is about stereotypes....that isn't racism. 7"

And, uh...wtf is that 7 about? At first I thought it was just a typo, but then I realized that the 7 key is nowhere near the m key, the period key, the space bar, the enter key, the a key, or the S key. As in, that's a really weird typo to make, since nothing before or after the 7 is actually anywhere near the 7 key. Point being, this isn't like the NORMAL typo, where you accidentally type "poops" instead of "pops". Whether deliberately or not, you went WAY out of your way to include that 7.

So, if it's weird that you're making that comment to the TC, and if that 7 is a really strange typo, then I thought about what that 7 might mean. I don't know, maybe Post #7? Let's try that. Let's scroll down to post #7 and see what's there.

Oh shit, post #7 is MY post. So despite saying "TC is about stereotypes....that isn't racism", you weren't talking about the TC at all. You were talking about ME. Which means that you were saying that MY post was all about stereotypes. So my question is this: why didn't you simply quote me instead of trying to be all cryptic and shit? Did you think that was being clever or something?

3) "I mentioned stereotypes and you went on a rant that they are racist." Again, I never went on a rant that stereotypes are racist. If I ever did such a thing, then quote that post.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#57 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

As a child, we do what we see the adults like us do. Then you hit puberty, suddenly realize you like the way others look(attraction) and therefore you become very conscious of how you may look to others. Now you probably admired adults that you were around as a child, and maybe some were bigots. For males, they looked big, aggressive, in control. So you do as they did in order to look like what your early visions of strong, right, man were. I cant really say for females as I am a male. But I don't believe stereotyping is natural, hate is natural, or ignorance is natural. We come into life a sponge and absorb what is around us consistently imo.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
@MrGeezer said:

1) I never said that stereotypes are racist.

2) As for why I replied to you in the first place, it was because of this..."TC is about stereotypes....that isn't racism. 7

As for why racism exists.....ignorance really."

Now, I'm not entirely sure what "TC" means. But when I see it used, it seems like people are usually directing it towards the person who started/created the topic/thread. So if I'm even sort of in the ballpark with regards to what "TC" means, that struck me as very weird. Because you're saying that the TC "is about stereotypes" when stereotypes are just one of the things he/she mentioned. He/she also mentioned "ignorance", which you yourself stated as the reason why racism exists. So it seemed really really weird that you'd say that the TC is about stereotypes, when he/she clearly mentioned "ignorance". And ignorance happens to be YOUR idea for why racism exists.

So, that little oddity set off my alarm bells.

Second thing was the "7" that you included in your post. As in, "TC is about stereotypes....that isn't racism. 7"

And, uh...wtf is that 7 about? At first I thought it was just a typo, but then I realized that the 7 key is nowhere near the m key, the period key, the space bar, the enter key, the a key, or the S key. As in, that's a really weird typo to make, since nothing before or after the 7 is actually anywhere near the 7 key. Point being, this isn't like the NORMAL typo, where you accidentally type "poops" instead of "pops". Whether deliberately or not, you went WAY out of your way to include that 7.

So, if it's weird that you're making that comment to the TC, and if that 7 is a really strange typo, then I thought about what that 7 might mean. I don't know, maybe Post #7? Let's try that. Let's scroll down to post #7 and see what's there.

Oh shit, post #7 is MY post. So despite saying "TC is about stereotypes....that isn't racism", you weren't talking about the TC at all. You were talking about ME. Which means that you were saying that MY post was all about stereotypes. So my question is this: why didn't you simply quote me instead of trying to be all cryptic and shit? Did you think that was being clever or something?

3) "I mentioned stereotypes and you went on a rant that they are racist." Again, I never went on a rant that stereotypes are racist. If I ever did such a thing, then quote that post.

Geeze you always go on rants. And you extrapolate things very strangely. The opening post was talking about stereotypes. Stereotypes do not mean racism. They can be used for racism by individuals to justify their own racism. But stereotypes are NOT in and of themselves a 100% correlation to the word racism. Which is my point and which you fail to understand.

Ignorance IS a big part of racism. Most racists are those that have very little to do with people that are different to themselves. Therefore they see them as just that. Those who get out in the world and assimilate with different demographics tend to be able to look beyond the difference.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MyNameIsWill
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

@MrGeezer: Okay, I see what you're saying now. There are positive stereotypes that help us on a daily basis and that's fine. But what about negative stereotypes? They are of no use. All they really do is spread hate and cause misconceptions. You can't justify negative stereotypes.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MrGeezer

@LJS9502_basic said:

Geeze you always go on rants. And you extrapolate things very strangely. The opening post was talking about stereotypes. Stereotypes do not mean racism. They can be used for racism by individuals to justify their own racism. But stereotypes are NOT in and of themselves a 100% correlation to the word racism. Which is my point and which you fail to understand.

Ignorance IS a big part of racism. Most racists are those that have very little to do with people that are different to themselves. Therefore they see them as just that. Those who get out in the world and assimilate with different demographics tend to be able to look beyond the difference.

The opening post EXPLICITLY MENTIONED IGNORANCE.

So0, again, that's kind of weird. The TC actually WASN'T all about stereotypes, he was ASKING about why racism exists and explicitly mentioned ignorance as a possible cause. So, again...if that post of yours was indeed directed to the TC instead of to me, that's pretty freaking strange. That's you calling him out for mentioning a wrong reason, and then you providing the correct reason, even though he/she specifically mentioned the exact same thing that you said. So...why jump on his/her ass with "it's about ignorance, not stereotypes" when he/she specifically and clearly mentioned ignorance as a cause in the opening post?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MrGeezer

@mynameiswill said:

@MrGeezer: Okay, I see what you're saying now. There are positive stereotypes that help us on a daily basis and that's fine. But what about negative stereotypes? They are of no use. All they really do is spread hate and cause misconceptions. You can't justify negative stereotypes.

You can't justify CONTINUING to hold negative stereotypes after you have identified those stereotypes as being negative ones. However, one can EASILY justify negative stereotypes simply by failing to admit that they're negative stereotypes in the first place.

We are by nature an intelligent species that recognizes patterns and then sorts information into categories so that we can better retain and recall it. As in...people are generally sort of smart. Smart enough to retain a shit load of information and then put it to use, but stupid enough that we have to categorize it and lump things together or else it makes no sense to us. That kind of stereotyping and pattern recognition is inherent to nearly all human beings, but using it in a positive way requires an informed and educated understanding of current social/political/scientific/artistic constructs, as well as the historical basis for things. Or in other words, the reason that negative stereotypes exist is because EVERYONE has to hold stereotypes, but most people aren't sufficiently informed enough to distinguish the positive ones from the negative ones.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MyNameIsWill
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@mynameiswill said:

EVERYONE has to hold stereotypes, but most people aren't sufficiently informed enough to distinguish the positive ones from the negative ones.

And that's exactly what I'm getting at.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

Racist is one of those words that's thrown around like a hot potato these days.

Everything is racist now.

Yay.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#64  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Xenophobia has always existed, as a kind of primitive, tribal, social mechanism to protect one's own tribe from other tribes. In that sense, subtle forms of racism or bigotry have always existed.

But the more explicit forms of racism are relatively more recent, dating back to the last few centuries, with institutions like colonialism and slavery attempting to associate physical features and skin tones with innate racial superiority.