What is your opinion of AMC's 'Breaking Bad'?

• 70 results
Posted by Kevlar101 (6257 posts) 10 months, 7 days ago

Poll: What is your opinion of AMC's 'Breaking Bad'? (43 votes)

It's a masterpiece and a true marvel of television. It deserves every bit of praise it gets. 56%
It's really good, but nothing amazing. 19%
It's good enough, but kind of 'meh' 12%
Mediocre, at best. 0%
It's a steaming pile of dog turds that has no business being on television. 14%

So, AMC's award-winning hit series 'Breaking Bad' has been officially named the highest-rated television series of all time by the Guinness World Records, since it has a whopping score of 99/100 on MetaCritic.

So, I figured that I ought to set up a poll to gauge OT's opinions of the show. I know that I pick the first option, and to add to that, it was the first show that I can honestly say that I have ever been hooked on. I have made it through four seasons, and I am yet to start season five. Looking forward to it :D

So OT, what are your opinions?

P.S. Check out the BB sig ;)

#51 Posted by Kevlar101 (6257 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

@konvikt_17 said:

2nd best show i have seen.

Just curious,what was your first???

I'm curious as well...

#52 Posted by dave123321 (34368 posts) -

I'm very much glad that I bought the barrel set when it came out.

#53 Posted by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -

It was an alright show.

#54 Posted by konvikt_17 (22368 posts) -
@Kevlar101 said:

@brimmul777 said:

@konvikt_17 said:

2nd best show i have seen.

Just curious,what was your first???

I'm curious as well...

Fringe. love the character development/interactions and the story was great.

#55 Posted by always_explicit (3097 posts) -

For me the show was "Look what happens when a middle aged man living a mundane existence suddenly takes life by the balls and hangs on for the ride". Walt could have quit cooking but to quit would mean returning to that mundane existence. Instead he chose to feel alive. The cancer was the spark that caused the flame, but the rest... season 3 onwards....a narcissistic hunger for more. A quest to keep feeling the buzz of an important existence.

Its like asking why do guys have affairs...because they can. Because its dangerous, because its sexy, because it removes them from that monotony of every day life. Walts affair was with criminality.

I liked his character, the only character I disliked was Skylar, I found her rise from submissive, shy, unsatisfied housewife to begrudging gangster moll wholly unconvincing. I also spent the entirety of the series trying to work out if I found her hot or not. I think not.

#56 Edited by aebghdfsc (85 posts) -

Comes off as pro-drug propaganda.

#57 Posted by with_teeth26 (6286 posts) -

I re-watched it pretty recently and I thought seasons 1, 4 and 5 were great, 2 and 3 are weaker and really drag in places. Overall a very good show but a bit overrated, probably because its so widely available and people who don't normally watch good HBO/FX/Showtime stuff could watch it and its miles better than most stuff on the non-premium channels.

There are quite a few shows I think are better (The Wire, Deadwood for example) but most of them are on HBO. For a normal cable show its pretty stellar. Its like the epitome of 'traditional' TV with cliffhanger endings and a relatively small number of central characters and plot threads.

#58 Edited by Brain_Duster (473 posts) -

It was ok.

#59 Posted by Senor_Kami (8439 posts) -

I am in between "Its really good, but nothing amazing" and "masterpiece and a true marvel of television. It deserves every bit of praise it gets". I don't think it's as amazing as people say but it's definitely a great show. I don't think it's a marvel because I can name multiple shows that I think are on par or better than it and 3 or 4 of them are active series. I'd hesitate to call it my favorite AMC series.

#60 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9484 posts) -

I voted for the last option for the lulz.

#61 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

Good show. Amazing acting and direction.

#62 Edited by ShepardCommandr (3262 posts) -

It's a masterpiece and a true marvel of television end of story,

Everyone who says otherwise is a hipster

#63 Edited by lamprey263 (25571 posts) -

It's really good, but not amazing. There's some really good bits through the series, there's some stretches though I was thinking even the writers didn't seem to know where to take it. But it held up as long as it did, couldn't say the same for many other shows that take a nosedive not knowing when to end it; they knew when to end it, and did it on a strong note.

Some shows just don't know when to quit. Prison break for instance, took a simple premise, and decided to overwrite the show to keep it going, which took it into territory of some grand global conspiracy involving people of greatest social-political-economic power. When I started watching Revenge I told myself that this show had to end in one or two seasons or it was going to pull a prison break... that's exactly what happened. Show got stupid. Dexter is another that didn't quit while it was ahead, by the time of the last season I hated every character and I could care less about how it ended. Weeds is another that I stopped caring about halfway through they just got lazy with the series... so, all that being said, lots of shows go on several seasons and lose their touch after some time, Breaking Bad was probably heading there but they decided to end it while they were ahead, and they were able to give it a good ending, that's more than most shows can accomplish.

Anyhow, love the intros into many episodes, that's something they did an excellent job with. And many episodes ended with great WTF cliffhanger moments.

#64 Posted by AFBrat77 (24261 posts) -

76% give BB high marks on this Poll so far, pretty damn good considering some people admitted to giving the 5th answer for no valid reason at all.

#65 Posted by watchdogsrules (494 posts) -

the show is lame and boring just like all the other crappy shows on AMC .

#66 Posted by chernoalpha527 (169 posts) -

Defiantly one of the best shows on television imo and its one of my all time favorites, but I felt that its started to drag a little in the 4th season and I felt like the ending was disappointing. Also the drama with walt and his wife was dragged out way to long imo and just about every scene with them lated in the series was tiering to watch.

#67 Edited by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

Great writing and superb acting. New take on a TV show and an antihero in Walt and Jesse.

#68 Posted by Iszdope (11238 posts) -

Dunno, never seen it...

I really should get onto that.

#69 Posted by uninspiredcup (12781 posts) -

@bowchicka07 said:

Great writing and superb acting. New take on a TV show and an antihero in Walt and Jesse.

While I 100% agree about the first bit. No, it really isn't, we have had some really good anti-hero tv shows. For example, the "House of cards" (no not the American version) the British version that came out about 30 years ago.

#70 Edited by KHAndAnime (14705 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@bowchicka07 said:

While I 100% agree about the first bit. No, it really isn't, we have had some really good anti-hero tv shows. For example, the "House of cards" (no not the American version) the British version that came out about 30 years ago.

And more recently The Shield...

A lot of stuff that happens to Walt also happened to the main character in The Shield...