What is the scariest movie you've seen?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

The Conjuring. This movie got a rated R just for being too scary, it doesnt have any gore, over use of swear words or anything like that.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Lostprophet.. is that you?

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

Rabbits (I guess it's really just a short film in it's entirety... mini series type thing)

or Inland Empire

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#5 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

The Conjuring. This movie got a rated R just for being too scary, it doesnt have any gore, over use of swear words or anything like that.

It had gore near the end, plus a lot of subjective themes that I guess would not be OK for a child to watch. The movie didn't got an R in my country, it had a "PG-15" rating.

And I didn't found it to be that scary.

Scariest horror movie, I don't know, I was pretty damn scared about the exorcist when I was a child, you could say traumatized just for looking at previews. Other than that, I haven't been scared by any horror film.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

Yeah, much better than James' other movie Insidious.

blurguy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blurguy6
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts

The trailer for exorcism of emily rose, couldn't sleep for months after watching that. But the movie itself wasn't too bad but still pretty scary.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

The Apparition

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lightleggy

@blurguy6 said:

The trailer for exorcism of emily rose, couldn't sleep for months after watching that. But the movie itself wasn't too bad but still pretty scary.

lol trailers never show what the movie will be like.

remember the devil inside? trailer was scary as shit, movie, not so much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Jaws and The Shining (I see them as two different kinds of horror, so I can't really pick one over the other as a "scary movie")

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

the one that left the biggest impact on me was the exorcist. walking around my house at night became ten times scarier if for some reason I thought of that movie.....the conjuring was the most times i have ever jumped in a movie, a few times it got me; all the other times it got my gf who would scream in my ear and scare me.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Insidious

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@sammyjenkis898 said:

The funny thing is I was just coming in here to mention The Conjuring. :lol:

Not me though. This is the only account I have.

BTW I have to ask, why do people find The Exorcist scary? I saw that movie and didn't find it one bit scary, and quite frankly I didn't really care for it in general. Did I miss something with that one?

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

Insidious hands down. Honorable mentions: The Conjuring, Sinister, the Ring, and Paranormal Activity.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

BTW I have to ask, why do people find The Exorcist scary? I saw that movie and didn't find it one bit scary, and quite frankly I didn't really care for it in general. Did I miss something with that one?

it was scary to me when i was little. just the face alone was one of the scariest things i ever seen at the time. that movie is responsible for a ton of nightmares during my youth lol. now it is whatever, i don't get scared of movies anymore...also at the time that movie was taboo. We had the vhs and my dad told me i could never watch the movie till i was older. of course i watched it and i did not know what i was getting myself into.

Avatar image for Danyawesomsauce
Danyawesomsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Danyawesomsauce
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

Halloween. The movie really freaked me out when I was a kid. I don't get spooked by movies now.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

When i was 8 i watched the Exorcist.

It was pretty creepy.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#18 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

The Strangers or Paranormal Activity.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

The Conjuring. So unbelievably scary.

Other mentions would be the first and third Paranormal Activity movies, the first Insidious, and to tell you the truth, Disturbia gave me quite the chills. Surprisingly good movie and a nice homage to Hitchcock.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i thought The Descent was pretty scary the first time.. The Conjuring too

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@destinhpark said:

Other mentions would be the first and third Paranormal Activity movies, the first Insidious, and to tell you the truth, Disturbia gave me quite the chills. Surprisingly good movie and a nice homage to Hitchcock.

Wow you sound way too much like me here, lol.

Only difference is I haven't seen Disturbia, so I can't comment on that movie.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 destinhpark
@LostProphetFLCL said:

@destinhpark said:

Wow you sound way too much like me here, lol.

Only difference is I haven't seen Disturbia, so I can't comment on that movie.

Oh man, you should absolutely watch it. It stars Shia Labeouf, who people hate on which I don't know why because the guy's got talent, and it doesn't re-invent cinema or anything, but it's a really solid, well-made, and enjoyable little flick that takes the plot of Rear Window and gives it a modern twist. It's fun to watch, and it'll definitely creep you out.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

It's been a really long time, but I remember seeing Poltergeist when I was little. Scared the shit right out of me.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 destinhpark

@Makhaidos said:

It's been a really long time, but I remember seeing Poltergeist when I was little. Scared the shit right out of me.

Oh, you definitely haven't outgrown it. I was the same as you, I saw Poltergeist on TV all the time when I was little, and it gave me nightmares, but I watched it on DVD recently, like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and as a grown adult now it still makes me want to sleep with the lights on. Awesome movie.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Makhaidos

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

Oh, you definitely haven't outgrown it. I was the same as you, I saw Poltergeist on TV all the time when I was little, and it gave me nightmares, but I watched it on DVD recently, like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and as a grown adult now it still makes me want to sleep with the lights on. Awesome movie.

I haven't seen it since and only remember bits and pieces. I don't like horror movies. But I still remember "they're here. . ."

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 destinhpark

@Makhaidos said:

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

I haven't seen it since and only remember bits and pieces. I don't like horror movies. But I still remember "they're here. . ."

Haha, yeah... Incredibly creepy stuff. If you don't like horror movies I probably wouldn't recommend to watch it again :p

blurguy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blurguy6
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

Haha, yeah... Incredibly creepy stuff. If you don't like horror movies I probably wouldn't recommend to watch it again :p

I just watched the trailer it doesn't look scary at all TBH

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Makhaidos

@blurguy6 said:

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

To be fair, I've never seen a horror movie trailer that was scary.

Avatar image for destroyerman455
destroyerman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 destroyerman455
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts

The Conjuring and VHS are probably the scariest I've seen. The Conjuring was good all around and the plot added to the scariness of it. VHS kinda lacked in plot, but the idea surrounding some of the tapes and the tension/suspense from each setting was pretty terrifying in my opinion.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 destinhpark

@Makhaidos said:

@blurguy6 said:

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

@destinhpark said:

@Makhaidos said:

To be fair, I've never seen a horror movie trailer that was scary.

Well put.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

To me, the Conjuring wasn't that scary. Of course pop out parts got me, but to me they're fun and it only takes a second for me to laugh about it. Insidious was more scary to me.

RingU is the scariest movie I've seen so far...and I've only seen a little of the beginning. Dare I watch the rest. Stuff that makes the movie relate to real life is what gets me, like freaky coincidences.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

The fact you enjoyed The Conjuring and don't like The Exorcist just indicates you have poor taste in horror.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

The original Evil Dead scared me a lot when I was a kid and so did the haunting Connecticut.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

2 movies, both completely different kinds of movies:

The Exorcist (saw this at 14 at the movie theatre, it was scary enough, but the creepy feeling when I was in the house alone that night [my family was out] was indescribable. Very unsettling. I tried reading the book, and I couldn't. I wouldn't even keep the book in my house.

Alien (the original film, NOT Aliens), very scary. Saw this at the theatre at age 17.

As a kid under 10 both Hitchcocks The Birds and Carnival of Souls gave me plenty of nightmares. I shouldn't have seen either at that age.

I didn't think The Conjuring was that scary.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lightleggy

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

How can you like the conjuring when you hate the exorcist? the exorcist is like 100 times heavier than the conjuring.

And the thing with the exorcist is that people were not used to a movie like that, it was extremely disturbing, and younger generations who didn't watched the film when it was released/at all. Were intimidated by those who did (my mom would tell me all the time "the exorcist is the scariest movie I've ever seen, everyone was scared shitless at the theater, they all had to carry barf bags with them, no kidding".

I remember that just watching a commercial about it would make me unable to sleep...I was flipping channels once when I was 9 and they were showing the exorcist in some channel, it was just a scene where the girl's (or demon's) face was visible. I got so scared just looking at her face that I refused to leave my room for that night and I ended up peeing in my bed because of that.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@lightleggy said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

How can you like the conjuring when you hate the exorcist? the exorcist is like 100 times heavier than the conjuring.

And the thing with the exorcist is that people were not used to a movie like that, it was extremely disturbing, and younger generations who didn't watched the film when it was released/at all. Were intimidated by those who did (my mom would tell me all the time "the exorcist is the scariest movie I've ever seen, everyone was scared shitless at the theater, they all had to carry barf bags with them, no kidding".

I remember that just watching a commercial about it would make me unable to sleep...I was flipping channels once when I was 9 and they were showing the exorcist in some channel, it was just a scene where the girl's (or demon's) face was visible. I got so scared just looking at her face that I refused to leave my room for that night and I ended up peeing in my bed because of that.

The Exorcist just made me laugh. It seriously wasn't the least bit scary and throw in the awful things she says when possessed and I just had to laugh (I have a bit of a morbid sense of humor...).

Maybe it is just that the movie hasn't aged well, but I seriously do not care for it at all. It completely failed to be scary when I watched it as a teenager.

The Conjuring on the other hand has an amazingly tense atmosphere and some fantastic camera work and direction that takes a tale we have all heard before and manages to tell it better than it has been told before. The full-out possession part and the end in general are a little too over the top and cheesy, but up till that last part the movie does such an incredible job of building up the tension and atmosphere and letting out the suspense with some fantastic scares, such as the wardrobe scene.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I'm not a fan of horror movies, but I am easily scared so anything goes for me.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PernicioEnigma

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@lightleggy said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

The Exorcist just made me laugh. It seriously wasn't the least bit scary and throw in the awful things she says when possessed and I just had to laugh (I have a bit of a morbid sense of humor...).

Maybe it is just that the movie hasn't aged well, but I seriously do not care for it at all. It completely failed to be scary when I watched it as a teenager.

The Conjuring on the other hand has an amazingly tense atmosphere and some fantastic camera work and direction that takes a tale we have all heard before and manages to tell it better than it has been told before. The full-out possession part and the end in general are a little too over the top and cheesy, but up till that last part the movie does such an incredible job of building up the tension and atmosphere and letting out the suspense with some fantastic scares, such as the wardrobe scene.

Any tension the movie had was destroyed the second those two annoying ghost expert people started investigating the house. The movie was a waste of my time and money imo. The Exorcist had a much more sinister atmosphere and just felt creepy and dark, especially compared to other horror movies of the time, which were mostly cheesy slasher films.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LostProphetFLCL

@PernicioEnigma said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@lightleggy said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Any tension the movie had was destroyed the second those two annoying ghost expert people started investigating the house. The movie was a waste of my time and money imo. The Exorcist had a much more sinister atmosphere and just felt creepy and dark, especially compared to other horror movies of the time, which were mostly cheesy slasher films.

Are you sure you are thinking of the right movie? I am almost wondering if you are confusing it with Insidious (which is still a movie I like and would take over the Exorcist) with the way you put that. Were the investigators you mentioned two guys or a couple?

DanishSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#40 DanishSnow
Member since 2013 • 88 Posts

Scum

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PernicioEnigma

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@lightleggy said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Are you sure you are thinking of the right movie? I am almost wondering if you are confusing it with Insidious (which is still a movie I like and would take over the Exorcist) with the way you put that. Were the investigators you mentioned two guys or a couple?

A couple - man and a women. We're talking about the same movie, I saw it in theatres a month or so back.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PernicioEnigma

@danishsnow said:

Scum

I've seen that, definitely a shocking and disturbing movie, left me feeling pretty bad.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#43  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Drag Me to Hell

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LostProphetFLCL

@PernicioEnigma said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@lightleggy said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

A couple - man and a women. We're talking about the same movie, I saw it in theatres a month or so back.

In that case I have no idea what is wrong with you. Some of the best scenes happen once they get involved.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@PernicioEnigma said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@lightleggy said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

QFT

No question about your last statement. The Exorcist is still a much more creepy and sinister movie than The Conjuring, a movie I liked enough, but just wasn't that much in terms of fear factor.

Most of the people here have not seen The Exorcist at the movie theatre, that I can guarantee. I still think its the best horror movie ever, certainly one of the more influential as well.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@CleanPlayer said:

Insidious hands down. Honorable mentions: ...Paranormal Activity.

Yeah... If you call being bored scary...

At any rate, I vote Ghost Ship, House On Haunted Hill (remake) or Thirteen Ghosts (remake).

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Also, I saw Ghostbusters in the theater when I was a kid. I kept having to cover my eyes. Not sure why Netflix calls it a children's movie.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@danishsnow said:

Scum

Scum like like it

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

Also, I saw Ghostbusters in the theater when I was a kid. I kept having to cover my eyes. Not sure why Netflix calls it a children's movie.

CHICKEN!

J/K. Compared to some other '80s movies aimed for kids/family audience, Ghostbusters was pretty tame. At least no one was killed in it. Meanwhile, something like the original Gremlins was aimed for kids, and that had some people killed off.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Most definitely " The Conjuring " gets my vote