What is the most exotic meat that you have eaten?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Kevlar101 (5512 posts) -

Title says it all. Need I say more?

The most exotic meat I have had was Elk. It was an Elk that someone in my family had hunted, ya know. Very flavorful.

I plan to try Kangaroo and Alligator sometime soon. I'm not kidding.

#2 Posted by Iszdope (8883 posts) -

Kangaroo.

#3 Edited by Kevlar101 (5512 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Kangaroo.

Was it good? Telll meeeeeee

#4 Edited by Iszdope (8883 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Kangaroo.

I think it was good. Maybe a little gamey...not sure...I was trippin' balls at the time.

#5 Posted by Kevlar101 (5512 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Iszdope said:

Kangaroo.

I think it was good. Maybe a little gamey...not sure...I was trippin' balls at the time.

I have heard that it smells rank......

#6 Edited by Iszdope (8883 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Iszdope said:

Kangaroo.

I have heard that it smells rank......

Nah.

#7 Posted by XilePrincess (12980 posts) -

Elk or moose or deer or something. In 4th grade we were studying the first nations tribes, and we had a potlatch which is basically the same thing as a potluck where everyone brings a dish, and this one kid and his family were hunters and they brought elk/moose/deer or something. I didn't take seconds, but I don't remember it being terrible. I think I tried some deer sausage once, it didn't taste right, but then again nobody told me it was game beforehand so I just thought it was weird tasting pork.

Next year when I go to California on vacation I'm going to try crayfish and fried catfish. I know they're not really 'exotic', but I live inland in Canada, so they're not things I've ever eaten before.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying game again, but I'm not ever going to eat guinea pig or kangaroo or whatever.

#8 Posted by sukraj (20600 posts) -

chicken

#9 Posted by Iszdope (8883 posts) -

I'd do anything for chicken.

#10 Posted by yokofox33 (28403 posts) -

I've eaten raw horse before. It was actually pretty good, but I'd never eat it again.

#11 Posted by VaguelyTagged (9840 posts) -

either sparrow or partridge.

#12 Posted by thegerg (12954 posts) -

Shark or dog.

#13 Edited by GazaAli (21479 posts) -

@VaguelyTagged said:

either sparrow or partridge.

These are not really "exotic" from the point of view of a Middle Eastern :P

I remember when I was a kid I used to hunt sparrows and then fry them in a frying pan with some salt and pepper until they get really roasted to the point where it becomes possible to eat the bone along with the flesh. They're tiny with so little flesh so the flesh and those fragile and crunchy bones are inseparable lol

I'd like to also add pigeon to that list. I've eaten pigeons few times in my life. They taste good. A little too skinny, but good overall.

oh and quail too. I tried it like once. Tasted good.

#14 Posted by toast_burner (20662 posts) -

Whale. Tasted quite good.

#15 Posted by ShepardCommandr (1514 posts) -
#16 Edited by playmynutz (5561 posts) -

I ate raw turtle eggs they taste exactly like oysters

@GazaAli : lol my bro use to catch and eat pigeons back in central america

#17 Posted by comp_atkins (30763 posts) -

i've eaten sweetbreads, fois gras, frog, and lamb tongue

#18 Edited by Guybrush_3 (8304 posts) -

Title says it all. Need I say more?

The most exotic meat I have had was Elk. It was an Elk that someone in my family had hunted, ya know. Very flavorful.

I plan to try Kangaroo and Alligator sometime soon. I'm not kidding.

Kangaroo is decent. Alligator tail is freaking delicious especially fried.

Other "exotic" meats I have eaten were Nutria (very gamey, not great), Ostritch (tasty, but the texture is stringy), Frog (really does taste like chicken), Bison (like beef but better), and snapping turtle (gross), Quail (awesome), and rabbit (pretty gamey, but still good)

#19 Edited by Dogswithguns (10593 posts) -

Nothin.. I live in America I never get to eat good stuff.. :(

#20 Posted by destinhpark (4700 posts) -

I had bbq rattlesnake once. It was awful. Never again.

#21 Posted by mindstorm (15231 posts) -

Perhaps the most irregular meats I have had would be crawfish, frog, lamb, oysters, chicken liver and gizzards, and pickled pig feet.

#22 Posted by GazaAli (21479 posts) -

There's no reason why he should not continue doing so in the states :P

#23 Edited by Ackad (3056 posts) -

Exotic as in expensive meat or meat that is very different than what most people consume?

#24 Posted by GazaAli (21479 posts) -

Perhaps the most irregular meats I have had would be crawfish, frog, lamb, oysters, chicken liver and gizzards, and pickled pig feet.

I always found it peculiar how chicken liver and gizzards are discarded as inedible in the western world. I read some news article a couple of years ago how the UK made a deal with China to export to it all the chicken liver it can handle, which is really the entire yield of chicken liver in the UK. The thing is, chicken liver is a perfectly edible and rather conventional meat. Its so damn tasty and nutritious, not to mention how cheap it is especially in comparison to its nutritional value. Only bad thing about it is that its considered to be high in cholesterol.

#25 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (15951 posts) -

Buffalo

Raw Squid

Shark

Alligator

Chitterlings

Sword Fish

#26 Posted by playmynutz (5561 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@playmynutz said:

We will eat a healthy pigeon one day

#27 Posted by Kevlar101 (5512 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@mindstorm said:

I always found it peculiar how chicken liver and gizzards are discarded as inedible in the western world. I read some news article a couple of years ago how the UK made a deal with China to export to it all the chicken liver it can handle, which is really the entire yield of chicken liver in the UK. The thing is, chicken liver is a perfectly edible and rather conventional meat. Its so damn tasty and nutritious, not to mention how cheap it is especially in comparison to its nutritional value. Only bad thing about it is that its considered to be high in cholesterol.

I vaguely remember a period of my life involving a container of gizzards.

#28 Posted by bforrester420 (683 posts) -

I'm not particularly adventurous when it comes to food. I'm especially averse to most sea food (don't like fish particularly). I would say bison, though that isn't very exotic at all.

#29 Posted by MrGeezer (55678 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@mindstorm said:

I live in the southern USA and it's not even considered exotic. Any grocery store will sell them, and you can even order livers and gizzards from fried chicken joints. They're actually fairly popular around here.

Personally though, I just think they taste gross. At least where I live it isn't so much that they're considered inedible, it's that a certain percentage of people just don't like the taste.

#30 Posted by musicalmac (21974 posts) -

The best meat is served raw... so that.

#31 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (26705 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@playmynutz said:

We will eat a healthy pigeon one day

Actually pigeon is fantastic, just not the city variety (ie the wood pigeon ... )

#32 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (26705 posts) -

Whale. Tasted quite good.

There's not many things I wouldn't eat, but dolphin and whale are probably close to the top.

I do like my steak rare, but other than sushi what meats are you eating raw Mac? :P (and I do love me some sushi)

#33 Posted by musicalmac (21974 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

I do like my steak rare, but other than sushi what meats are you eating raw Mac? :P (and I do love me some sushi)

I dig carpaccio and ceviche, as well as various kinds of sushi (chirashi is almost always a winner -- unless you're in New Mexico and they spell it "Shirashi" then skip it, otherwise, go for it).

#34 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (26705 posts) -

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

#35 Edited by musicalmac (21974 posts) -

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

...seem to eat an awful lot of balls there, hazy. No judgement here.

#36 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (26705 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@musicalmac said:

I dig carpaccio and ceviche, as well as various kinds of sushi (chirashi is almost always a winner -- unless you're in New Mexico and they spell it "Shirashi" then skip it, otherwise, go for it).

I got awful food poisoning in Paris from steak tartare last time I had raw non-sushi and I've avoided it since. I LOVE sushi though ...

#37 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (26705 posts) -
#38 Posted by musicalmac (21974 posts) -
#39 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (26705 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@musicalmac said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

lol well it was at a testicle festival .... http://omaha.eventful.com/events/annual-testicle-festival-/E0-001-028305228-5

Save the date Mac!

lol, only if you're there, hazy.

I'll be there nomming balls!

#40 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (14748 posts) -

Mutt while visiting the Philippines with my wife. Goes great with beer.

#41 Posted by GamerForca (7034 posts) -

Does snail count? Well, there's a reason it's considered a delicacy in many parts of Europe. They're damned delicious, though when I try to tell Americans, they give me faces like I'm freaking crazy. I've also had deer and elk, along with chicken gizzards, hearts, and livers (not really exotic though). Pork blood that was congealed into sausage was amazing. I've had shark and octopus on many occasions as well.

#42 Posted by GazaAli (21479 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@GazaAli said:

@mindstorm said:

I live in the southern USA and it's not even considered exotic. Any grocery store will sell them, and you can even order livers and gizzards from fried chicken joints. They're actually fairly popular around here.

Personally though, I just think they taste gross. At least where I live it isn't so much that they're considered inedible, it's that a certain percentage of people just don't like the taste.

Interesting.

Well regarding the taste, chicken liver tastes excellent, but it has the peculiarity that if not prepared right, it has the potential of tasting awful. Therefore, ordering it from a fried chicken joint is not a wise thing to do. For instance, chicken liver is not to be fried in the first place, it tastes best roasted or stir fried. It also requires vigorous cleaning and should be washed with salt, flour and vinegar to get rid of blood and that stinky smell it has. Then you season or marinate it for sufficient time and after you do all of this properly you roast or stir fry it with onions, chili peppers, garlic and some of its marinate. The final product is a very flavorful and tasty cheap, nutritious meat. You can see how a fried chicken joint would not be willing to do any of that, at least sufficiently so even though I love chicken liver so much I would never get it from a fried chicken joint.

#43 Posted by musicalmac (21974 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@musicalmac said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

lol well it was at a testicle festival .... http://omaha.eventful.com/events/annual-testicle-festival-/E0-001-028305228-5

Save the date Mac!

lol, only if you're there, hazy.

I'll be there nomming balls!

I'm laughing out loud now, truly. lol

#44 Edited by thegerg (12954 posts) -

@GazaAli: When chicken livers are fried right they are delicious. It's silly to say they're not supposed to be cooked a certain way just because you prefer it be done differently.

#45 Posted by thegerg (12954 posts) -

@GamerForca: Snails really are delicious, even though Europeans think it's crazy to eat them.

#46 Posted by Kage1 (6720 posts) -

Deer, Frog legs, Shark, Bull Balls

#47 Posted by themajormayor (25250 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@GamerForca: Snails really are delicious, even though Europeans think it's crazy to eat them.

Don't generalize. Eating snails is most commonly associated with France (which is located in Europe).

#48 Edited by helwa1988 (1947 posts) -

Camel.

#49 Posted by themajormayor (25250 posts) -

Anyway:

Liver, Heart, Spleen, Kidney, Stomach, Throat.

The most exotic animal is probably reindeer or something. Not very exotic. Will try camel soon I hope. And ostrich.

#50 Posted by the_bi99man (10916 posts) -

Human.

is he joking? Hahaha. You'll never know.