What is the most difficult novel you've read?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I vote for Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce.

My God, this book is almost incomprehensible. It only starts to become coherent when you read it aloud and slowly and even then you'll be pretty lost. The language is so strange and idiosyncratic that it has an invented quality about it. Think A Clockwork Orange, but 1000 times harder to decipher. Not to mention that it abandons all the familiar plot conventions and stuctures, almost coming across as a stream of concsiousness.

What is the most difficult novel you've read?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

I'm still working on Hop on Pop.  So much political subtext to it, it's overwhelming. 

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

Posterior Analalytics by Aristotle, I don't know.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GreySeal9

I don't know too much about writing, so I don't think I'd be a good judge of what's the hardest novel written.thegerg

Maybe I should change the title to "What's the most difficult novel you've read?"

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

I'm still working on Hop on Pop.  So much political subtext to it, it's overwhelming. 

Hallenbeck77
What'd you think of Green Eggs and Ham? I thought it was too melodramatic for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

Looked up excerpts from that book

"Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs. Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface. The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn tuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnu k!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy."

Wtf.... WHY???

Probably the Odyssey for me just because it was something i didn't care about at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Finnegans Wake isn't difficult because there's nothing to get lol. Joyce was high as fvck when he wrote it

The most difficult thing I've read is Paradise Lost.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I don't know too much about writing,thegerg
That explains SO much

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreySeal9

Looked up excerpts from that book

"Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs. Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface. The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn tuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnu k!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy."

Wtf.... WHY???

Probably the Odyssey for me just because it was something i didn't care about at all.

Person0

The sucky thing is that I have to teach that sh!t (Finnegan's Wake that is) in a few weeks.

I'm scared. :cry:

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreySeal9

Finnegans Wake isn't difficult because there's nothing to get lol. Joyce was high as fvck when he wrote it

The most difficult thing I've read is Paradise Lost.

Aljosa23

A plausible explanation, lol.

rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

the silmarillion, i guess. i enjoyed it tho, and understood it, just got difficult when tolkien would use like 3 different names for the same thing and would alternate usin em

mmwmwmmwmwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mmwmwmmwmwmm
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts

EagleEyedOne
i like this new mock-intellectual schtick you have now.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

jesuschristmonk

What'd you think of Green Eggs and Ham? I thought it was too melodramatic for me.

it was a thinly veiled propaganda piece about the younger generation ridiculing our nation's seniors. Sam I Am kept pestering the older person into eating possibly tainted egg and pork products...if that's not a sign that Dr. Seuss supports euthanasia, I don't know what is.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EagleEyedOne
[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

mmwmwmmwmwmm

Didn't know you followed me that much as I am not exactly a regular poster.
mmwmwmmwmwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mmwmwmmwmwmm
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts

[QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"][QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

EagleEyedOne

you came to my attention when you made that zimmerman thread.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EagleEyedOne
[QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"][QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"][QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"] i like this new mock-intellectual schtick you have now.

you came to by attention when you made that zimmerman thread.

That was a fun time for me here.
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
Naked Lunch, a bizarre incoherent ramble is all that book is.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Gardens of the Moon I guess. It's not that hard to read but you really have to pay attention to every word the author writes, it's not like the song of ice and fire series where you can zone out for half a page and it's not a big deal if you don't reread it.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I'm not much of a reader but I'm going with 'The Millenium Trilogy'.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce for a class. And I hear that is one of his more accessible works. I would never read anything from him by choice.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts
I mean, I guess Siddhartha was kinda a chore.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cain006

I mean, I guess Siddhartha was kinda a chore.brucewayne69
I liked that book a lot for some reason. I barely remember anything about it now though.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
I'm reading it right now: Ulysses by James Joyce. Although it is extremely difficult (and at times, incomprehensible) it also has a strange sense of fluid beauty to it. Joyce was like a mad scientist of literature; he could capture the very process of thought and consciousness, and then he would use it for evil, like a Superman villain. If you want the most complicated book I've ever finished, that would probably be Pale Fire by Vladamir Nabokov. Half the novel is a poem, and the other half is an unauthorized annotation by a crazy man who was obsessed with the "original" author of the poem (who was actually Nabokov). Yeah, Nabokov was another mad genius.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Makhaidos
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce for a class. And I hear that is one of his more accessible works. I would never read anything from him by choice. Commander-Gree
That was probably his easiest work. Dubliners is a little easier to follow, but the stories come across as very bland.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makhaidos

Gardens of the Moon I guess. It's not that hard to read but you really have to pay attention to every word the author writes, it's not like the song of ice and fire series where you can zone out for half a page and it's not a big deal if you don't reread it.

cain006

Yeah, the whole Malazan series is like that. It's good, and worth it if you can pay attention, but it's rare that reading a fantasy novel can make me physically tired.

marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

The Brother's Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It is also the best book I have ever read, I truly recommend to all.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Something Shakespearean. My book had it in that fancy english.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

cain006

I'm about 40 pages from the end of that right now. I sort of wish Erikson had given us a bit more world-building among his story, but it's still a pretty good book.

The roughest read for me so far has been Atlas Shrugged. It took me several months, and because I couldn't find a copy with print that wasn't borderline-microscopic, I finished every chapter with a blinding headache.

Second place goes to Kushiel's Dart. I hated how Carey kept skipping the good bits by prefacing them with "I can't describe what happened next..." after almost 300 pages of excruiating detail about Phedre's childhood.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

If its difficult, I don't usually finish the book. I like to relax while reading:)

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Honestly, Alice In Wonderland. I read it last month, and I had to stop every few pages and go "Wait, what?" because everything sounds like the it was written by someone on some trippy-ass drugs. None of it actually makes much sense. Not particularly hard to read in terms of language and ideas, but confusing because it is utter gibberish more than it isn't. I still love the story, though.
theycallmeRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 theycallmeRP
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

The House of Seven Gables was a terrible bore to get through.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Novel? I don't know that I've ever had much difficulty with a novel. With books in general, though, it's easily Man, Economy, and State With Power and Markets by Murray N Rothbard. It's over 1,400 pages if I remember correctly and it's a treatise on economic thought in general; it's not easy to wrap your head around every example Rothbard constructs. I will probably go back to it later in life to see what more I can get out of it, because there's no way I've absorbed everything there is to be gained from that masterpiece.
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Catch-22.  Great book--and one of the few books to get me laughing out loud, but I lost count of how many times I lost track of what was going on or being said/referenced and had to re-read the page or two (or entire chapter).

On a related note, I attempted to read The Silmarillion and couldn't get past the first few chapters.  That book is a great substitute for nitrous oxide.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

isn't finnigans wake so difficult that the plot is not entirely understood/agreed upon?

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Tigana was pretty hard to read.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cain006

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser.

Amvis

Ah that was the one about the lady who basically becomes a prostitute right? And then in the end the dude she's with becomes a complete loser and she leaves him and she's an actress right? I think I liked that, I skimmed a lot of it though.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Makhaidos

isn't finnigans wake so difficult that the plot is not entirely understood/agreed upon?

lostrib
Yep; even some passages are not entirely understood/agreed upon.[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Honestly, Alice In Wonderland. I read it last month, and I had to stop every few pages and go "Wait, what?" because everything sounds like the it was written by someone on some trippy-ass drugs. None of it actually makes much sense. Not particularly hard to read in terms of language and ideas, but confusing because it is utter gibberish more than it isn't. I still love the story, though.

I never even finished Alice in Wonderland. It was so damn boring.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
House of Leaves. Not only in the sense of following all three narratives going on at once, but the method in which they were delivered.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I read it back in highschool.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

I guess Edith Warton or Beewulf.

But only because I was so not interested in it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58479 Posts

Catcher in the Rye

not because it is challenging to read, but simply because it is annoying.  That, and one out of two english teachers make you read it.