What is the greatest horror movie since 2000!

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by always_explicit (2632 posts) -

Opinions people, I find horror to be such a hit and miss genre I rarely bother watching them any more.

In your opinion whats the best horror film from the year 2000 to present day and why?

#2 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27964 posts) -

The Descent, probably. It has the most genuine scares, breaks the mold of the female cliche, and the claustrophobic scenes just make me feel uneasy.

I'd need to watch Let the Right One In again to decide, but I have a feeling it would still come out at second.

#3 Posted by LexLas (4165 posts) -

I always look for a good scary movie. I have to say " The Conjuring " By far, its creepy, scary, and makes you jump out of your seat scary.

#4 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6693 posts) -

Cabin in the Woods

:P

#5 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16992 posts) -

There has been quite a few great horror movies in just these last two years, but my favorite is by far The Conjuring. That is easily the scariest movie I have ever seen. The atmosphere, camera work, acting, and suspense are absolutely top notch and the movie doesn't rely on cheap scares to get you.

In terms of horror comedy, Cabin in the Woods takes that category with Trick R' Treat right behind it.

#6 Posted by xdude85 (4317 posts) -

The first Saw and The Cabin in the Woods.

#7 Edited by Jimn_tonic (819 posts) -

For psychological horror, Session 9

For slasher, Devils Rejects

#8 Edited by PannicAtack (20864 posts) -

Does The Cabin in the Woods really qualify as a horror film? I certainly loved it, but it struck me as more of a comedy.

#9 Posted by MudoSkills (376 posts) -

I couldn't pick a clear winner, but I'd echo other people's recommendations of Cabin in The Woods and Saw (shouldn't exclude the first film for what subsequently happened to the series).

I'd also include .Rec, and Shaun of the Dead for the horror/comedy genre.

#10 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25735 posts) -

'The Orphanage'. Incredibly eerie and exceptionally well made.

#11 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

I personally love Frailty, but you cant go wrong with jimn tonic or sammyjenkis suggestions are both good also

#12 Edited by WinsteadVolve (391 posts) -

Sorry, I can't, will always be Nightmare on Elm Street, good ol' original, but I thought Insidious brought a bit of a scare when it was released. Why are you all considering Cabin in the Woods, it's a parody of horror, a spoof, but just more subtle in implying it's genre.

#13 Posted by lamprey263 (22468 posts) -

Cabin In The Woods & Drag Me To Hell come to mind, though probably not the best picks they do deserve some defending, as many people like to hate on horror films if they're not scary, well not all horror films are scary and don't have to be, but they can still be fun to watch.

#14 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@lamprey263: drag me to hell was the best thing Raimi did in years, fun little film.

#15 Posted by CleanPlayer (9766 posts) -

Cabin In the Woods was probably the most smartest horror movie ever made

#16 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28975 posts) -

Let The Right One In definitely takes it, although I was also a fan of The Descent.

#17 Posted by BranKetra (47530 posts) -

Cabin In the Woods was probably the most smartest horror movie ever made

The irony

#18 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

The Conjuring. It set the tone with atmosphere, had some genuinely scary moments, and did it all with minimal gore. There were "jump scares," but they were well set up: you knew something was coming, but not exactly what (except for the one from the commercial).

If you want good horror-comedy, John Dies At the End is better than Cabin In The Woods. Cabin is good, but it's too self-aware to be really funny. JDATE doesn't take itself as seriously, and it delivers some uniquely funny and scary ideas (like the dick doorknob).

#19 Posted by violian (1431 posts) -

The remake of Evil Dead was pretty funny and scary at the same time. Lots of tense moments during the movie.

#20 Posted by Big_Pecks (5193 posts) -

I'm going to go with The Descent. It's stuck with me for years since I haven't seen it in awhile. It's already terrifying with just the setting.

#21 Edited by ninjastar (9497 posts) -

The Descent,

#22 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16992 posts) -

Does The Cabin in the Woods really qualify as a horror film? I certainly loved it, but it struck me as more of a comedy.

It's a horror comedy so it counts in my book. Absolutely FANTASTIC movie BTW!

I am also curious, has anyone here seen You're Next yet? That is another great movie that I would kind of consider more a horror comedy. It is definitely another more self-aware horror movie that goes and messes with the formula making for some true awesomeness.

#23 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3689 posts) -

The conjuring

Fact

#24 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1353 posts) -

The Ring

#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (6881 posts) -

Paranormal Activity. Yes, I said Paranormal Activity.

Paranormal Activity.

#26 Posted by riou7 (10832 posts) -

Cabin in the woods was weird... I didn't know so many people actually enjoyed the movie.

I'd prefer the woman in black

#27 Edited by sukraj (21660 posts) -

the descent

#28 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

if i had to pick one, it would be let the right one in.

28 days later, drag me to hell, willard, and prometheus are all great too though.

#29 Posted by lamprey263 (22468 posts) -

@riou7 said:

Cabin in the woods was weird... I didn't know so many people actually enjoyed the movie.

What's really strange is how everybody hates this movie, but I loved it. Especially since I absolutely hate everything else Joss Whedon does and I have to listen to his sickening cult go on-and-on about how they love him and everything he does is so great and he's the second coming of Christ... and I hate Firefly and Buffy and how he wrote a shit script for Alien Resurrection, all that shit fucking sucks and that makes me hate everything of his even more. But despite that, I really enjoyed Cabin In The Woods.

#30 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7321 posts) -

To be completely honest, I haven't seen any great horror movies after 2000. The only ones I love are The Shining (1980), Carrie (1976), Poltergeist (1982), and Jaws (1975)

#31 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

For me it's Signs, and it's not even close.

#32 Posted by Jackboot343 (2574 posts) -

28 Days Later. Great scares, cast, atmosphere, and soundtrack.

#33 Posted by ninjastar (9497 posts) -

For me it's Signs, and it's not even close.

Signs was really good but I don't consider that a horror movie really.

#34 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

Black Sheep

Why? Because all horror films I can think of since 2000 have been worse.

#35 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -
@m0zart said:

Black Sheep

Why? Because all horror films I can think of since 2000 have been worse.

Then you haven't actually watched a horror movie aside from that one since 2000. There's been a slew of excellent ones in recent years.

#36 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

@OrkHammer007: I've seen quite a few. Can you name one that you think I am not considering here?

#37 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

@m0zart said:

@OrkHammer007: I've seen quite a few. Can you name one that you think I am not considering here?

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. John Dies At The End. Insidious. The Conjuring. Drag Me To Hell. Land Of The Dead. Kiss of the Damned. V/H/S. Trick 'r' Treat. Cabin In The Woods.

#38 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

@m0zart said:

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. John Dies At The End. Insidious. The Conjuring. Drag Me To Hell. Land Of The Dead. Kiss of the Damned. V/H/S. Trick 'r' Treat. Cabin In The Woods.

Yeah most of those really appeal to me. Particularly V/H/S, which I couldn't finish.

I do admit to liking Trick or Treat, but it really was more of a parody of horror for me than a real horror film. It was entertaining, but not really scary.

Looks like Saw was in 2004... so I will admit to liking that one. It was one of the few of its genre that actually had me on edge and a bit scared, and it had a nice mystery around it to keep me guessing. Most in that genre just disturb me, which isn't what I look for or enjoy watching.

The 2000s were just not a good decade for the kind of horror film I actually enjoy.

#39 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

For me it's Dog Soldiers with the first Silent Hill movie being a close second, I liked Drag me to hell too but more for it's ability to make me laugh with it's obsession with the old womans saliva and that talking goat.

#40 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

@m0zart said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

Yeah most of those really appeal to me. Particularly V/H/S, which I couldn't finish.

I do admit to liking Trick or Treat, but it really was more of a parody of horror for me than a real horror film. It was entertaining, but not really scary.

Looks like Saw was in 2004... so I will admit to liking that one. It was one of the few of its genre that actually had me on edge and a bit scared, and it had a nice mystery around it to keep me guessing. Most in that genre just disturb me, which isn't what I look for or enjoy watching.

The 2000s were just not a good decade for the kind of horror film I actually enjoy.

Hmmm... I liked V/H/S because it was a gritty, low-budget anthology with such contrasting styles and stories. It didn't have the Hollywood "gloss" and too much CGI to soften the shocks it was delivering. Your loss, I suppose.

I didn't see the parody in Trick 'r' Treat (are you sure you have the right movie? There is a Trick or Treat from the late 80s). Instead, I saw a very clever movie with an interesting and consistent mythology, attempting to jump-start a franchise.

At this point, I've seen so many horror movies at so many levels of budget (big and microscopic) that it's nearly impossible for them to scare me. That's starting with seeing The Exorcist in the drive-in the summer after it was released, so that's a lot of movies. When I watched Saw, I found myself pretty much actively anticipating everything that was about to happen, to the point where nothing shocked me at all. It was disconcerting, to be sure, but it was completely predictable right to the end, when instead of an "Oh, s***!" moment, they added a "That's bulls***!" moment. Cracked even did an article about how absurd the ending is, and I agree with the author.

#41 Edited by sukraj (21660 posts) -

The conjuring

the ring

cabin in the woods

evil dead 2013

drag me to hell

the descent

28 weeks later

28 days later

#42 Posted by Samurai_Xavier (4364 posts) -

Definitely REC.

#43 Posted by sukraj (21660 posts) -
#44 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

I'd need to watch Let the Right One In again to decide, but I have a feeling it would still come out at second.

That isn't even a horror movie.

#45 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

@sukraj said:

the ring

Ah yes... now there's one I forgot about: The Ring. I did also enjoy that film. I enjoyed it better than the original Ringu.

#46 Posted by ZimpanX (12636 posts) -

Saw
Thirst
Let the Right One In
Julia's Eyes
The Devil's Rejects
The Devil's Backbone
The Mist
The Ring
Grave Encounters
REC

Most of them might not be all that scary though

#47 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4870 posts) -

So many i've enjoyed. If you were to force me to narrow it down to a few I would mention The Decent as many have. Think Creep is a good one also, mostly because it was closer to home, not trying to anything more then a horror and i liked the build up. Hills have Eyes Remake also ya all bastards for not mentioning that.

#48 Posted by pillarrocks (1317 posts) -

Evil Dead(remake) and Silent Hill. Haven't seen alot of horror movies since 2001. I am not really a fan of horror movies.

#49 Edited by ferrari2001 (16680 posts) -

The Descent, probably. It has the most genuine scares, breaks the mold of the female cliche, and the claustrophobic scenes just make me feel uneasy.

I very much enjoyed the Descent. It was a proper good scary movie.

#50 Edited by Bardock47 (5148 posts) -

I really enjoyed Sinister. Legitimately creepy and disturbing, with only a couple (well deserved) jump scares. I thought idea was really cool, and I though how for most of the movie it was ambiguous over what was really going on.

It was hilarious watching with friends and seeing them try and guess what was going on.

However, I certainly haven't seen every horror movie to call it definitive best. The Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty good too.

I still need to see The Conjuring though. Also, while were on the topic; I thought Paranormal Activity 2 was entertaining, and certainly the best of the series. It was the peak before the mediocre 3 and awful 4.