What is the difference between TV14 , TVMA, R and NC17 ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Videodogg (12557 posts) -

I ask this question because i just watched the newest episode of The Walking Dead. This television show is rated TV14 and it has levels of gore and violence that surpass what is allowed in a R rated movie. George Romero has to fight the MPAA for every second of gore in his living dead movies, but the Walking Dead on AMC seems to have no restriction what-so-ever. Im not complaining, i love the gore, but why the inconsistancy?

#2 Posted by Forever_Posting (213 posts) -

TV14 has no nudity, MA does (maybe?), R has nudity but its in theatres, and NC17 means you MUST be 17 or older to watch the movie.

#3 Posted by xdude85 (4352 posts) -
I surprised a show like The Walking Dead is on AMC, shows like that are usually on HBO or other channels.
#4 Posted by juden41 (4447 posts) -
NC17 tends to be extreme, like content children shouldn't be around at all. R has explicit content, but granted what the movie is, kids might be able to watch it. TV14 is basically suitable for 15-year olds and up. TV MA is kind of like R for television, but they can't put nudity on TV and they still have to censor the f-word and can't show just anything (cus it's tv), so of course it's lighter.
#5 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28051 posts) -

TV MA is kind of like R for television, but they can't put nudity on TV and they still have to censor the f-word and can't show just anything (cus it's tv), so of course it's lighter.juden41

Uh, yes they can. When it comes to HBO and Showtime, they can show a lot of nudity.

#6 Posted by juden41 (4447 posts) -

[QUOTE="juden41"] TV MA is kind of like R for television, but they can't put nudity on TV and they still have to censor the f-word and can't show just anything (cus it's tv), so of course it's lighter.sammyjenkis898

Uh, yes they can. When it comes to HBO and Showtime, they can show a lot of nudity.

Those are movie channels, I'm talking about cable.
#7 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

I surprised a show like The Walking Dead is on AMC, shows like that are usually on HBO or other channels. xdude85
Breaking Bad has been pushing the boundaries as well in terms of what can be shown on cable television. I love AMC because of Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men.

#8 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

[QUOTE="juden41"] TV MA is kind of like R for television, but they can't put nudity on TV and they still have to censor the f-word and can't show just anything (cus it's tv), so of course it's lighter.juden41

HBO is a part of cable.
#9 Posted by lightleggy (15910 posts) -
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

[QUOTE="juden41"] TV MA is kind of like R for television, but they can't put nudity on TV and they still have to censor the f-word and can't show just anything (cus it's tv), so of course it's lighter.juden41

I have cable and theres not a single censored channel besides TNT because its australian if im not wrong
#10 Posted by Mr_Anderson1817 (479 posts) -

THe line between R and NC-17 movies is very thin.

R movies have graphic violence, nudity/sex, and cussin'

NC-17 movies usually go from R to NC-17 because of graphic sexual content, which is unjust because almost all R rated movies can have as much graphic violence as they want and still not be rated NC-17

Studios don't want to be rated NC-17 because most movie theaters (AMC, Harkins) don't show NC-17 movies at all.

TV-14 and TV-MA are only on TV..

TV-14 has a wide range from paralleling an average PG-13 movie to a mild R-rated movie. Violence is usually accepted, but not as much language or "sex talk"

TV-MA is basically an R movie, it has cussing and pretty graphic gore. Although I think it's up to the network if they censor things like the F word. (i.e. comedy central censors it right? but HBO doesn't)

#11 Posted by Aspen706 (4560 posts) -

You guys are disturbing with how you know about this topic.:P

#12 Posted by Videodogg (12557 posts) -

Yeah, but The Walking Dead is much more graphic with violence than most R rated movies and it is only rated TV14. If it was in the theaters i bet Walking Dead would be either censored slightly or rated NC17. Also, TV14 is not quite the same thing on network channels like ABC, NBC or CBS. There just is not much reason to the whole rating thing.

#13 Posted by MathMattS (4002 posts) -

The impression I think I get is that TV14 is for suggestive themes, violence, and perhaps mild language; TVMA is like a rated-R movie; NC-17 I suppose would have to be really gross.

#14 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -

NC-17 I suppose would have to be really gross.

MathMattS

Or really awesome.

#15 Posted by Ultrabeatdown55 (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="MathMattS"] NC-17 I suppose would have to be really gross.

Agent-Zero

Or really awesome.

Your sig works so well with that post.
#16 Posted by huytttr (816 posts) -
i thought the HBO, Showtime, stuff with nudity was AO, but i have seen some MA show on those channels with nudity. to me idk, its like separating g, tv-7, and pg.
#17 Posted by desertpython (1277 posts) -

Go watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

#18 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

Bare asses have been on broadcast TV