What is the best protein powder supplement?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Is it Whey? I went to my locate Walmart to buy Whey supplements, there was so many different kind, I didn't know which Whey to get

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

the best is the ones you can buy at the gym i gues... ask a proffesional at the local gym :p

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@dylandr said:

the best is the ones you can buy at the gym i gues... ask a proffesional at the local gym :p

Thats a negatory
Depends what you're looking for
Bulking, cutting or a nice mix
I alternate between MAXs Supersize, Horleys Awesome Mass and ON 100% Gold Standard
Night protein I alternate between ON 100% Casein and MAXs Nitetime
And pre-workout I use the stim free Hemavol

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dylandr

@chaoscougar1: Best thing would be a healthy diet without protein shakes but i gues that is too old fashioned

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dylandr

@Iszdope: you going crazy?

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

@dylandr said:

@chaoscougar1: Best thing would be a healthy diet without protein shakes but i gues that is too old fashioned

I'm not going on a diet, i'm just trying to build up muscles and eating too much meat to get protein will give me a stomachache

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dylandr

@Iszdope:

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dylandr

@iloveatlus: you understanded me wrong, a diet of portein high foods like steak and stuff, like what they did before all those chemicals

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dylandr

@Iszdope: without proteinshakes? Kappa

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dylandr

@Iszdope: no idea

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chaoscougar1

@dylandr said:

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dylandr

@chaoscougar1: Nothing helps getting buffed more as a good breakfast!

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chaoscougar1

@dylandr said:

@chaoscougar1: Nothing helps getting buffed more as a good breakfast!

And how buff might you be?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dylandr

@chaoscougar1: i can benchpress 90 kilos, does that say enough? :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55897 Posts

Why not go to your local Pharmacy?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dylandr

@davillain-: maybe he is not allowed to go there anymore? xD

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator

@dylandr: Well if Atlus isn't allow to go there for some reasons, at least ask someone to do your dirty work for you.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dylandr

@davillain-: how do you think i am still allowed to enter disneyland paris?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator

@dylandr: Well don't tell me, some answers are left unanswered.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dylandr

@davillain-: well it had to do with 4 meters of beer and me and 4 friends (no drunkness involved)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@dylandr: Do you even know what that image is quoting? =p

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

What are you shooting for?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

I have an iced coffee protein shake with ON Gold Standard to supplement my sausage and egg in the morning. It's helped me maintain or even increase my lifts as I've been cutting weight (down 11lbs now).

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

ive heard N.O. Explode is pretty good to.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I buy this at my gym

http://perfectonline.ca/products/diesel/

Now whether or not it's better than a cheap Walmart brand........I have no idea. The chocolate flavor at least tastes good so at least there's that. <_<

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

If you go with whey, get whey isolate.

There are two types of protein supplement; whey and casein. Whey is absorbed into your system quickly and is ideal for pre and post workout. Casein is slow to digest and is better suited late in the evening before bed, so supply your body with protein while you sleep.

I've found ON (Optimum Nutrition) to be the best tasting and is probably the best that you can get.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@dylandr said:

It's very difficult to eat enough, often enough, to get your protein needs from food alone if you're a weight lifter. Most people's schedules don't accommodate the number of times you have to eat, let alone the time and cost associated with food prep. And 90 kilos isn't much of a bench press, unless you're 14 years old.

@-Blasphemy- N.O. Xplode is a pre-workout, not a protein supplement.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I use Dymatize Elite Whey protein powder right now. It has the whey isolate and casein. The casein is something you want to include in your protein powder because it's a slower digesting protein that will stay in your system long after the whey has been burned up.

If you're really serious about building muscle, go to Bodybuilding.com. They have so many useful articles, blogs, and programs for free that you're sure to find something that fits your goals and/or lifestyle.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I never understood the fascination with protein powders. Us Americans already consume more protein then what we actually need, almost 2x more then we actually need. Taking in even more protein is just extra calories that can lead to weight gain, or necessity to exercise even more to work off the extra weight. It recommended you chart your actual protein intake and determine if the extra protein is actually needed. Chances are you don't need extra protein so buying powder is a really expensive waste. It's recommended you take in about 58g of protein each day.. The average American consumes 102g a day. Most people do not need supplements for protein intake. Although gyms and health stores make lots of money off protein supplements so they will likely tell you it's somehow needed for a better workout.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jasean79

@ferrari2001 said:

It's recommended you take in about 58g of protein each day.. The average American consumes 102g a day.

Actually, if you're looking to gain muscle in the way of weight training, it is recommended that you eat 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. So, that's where protein shakes have their use. They're low in calories, sugar, and fat, but provide ample amounts of protein. I'm all for using them. They're great for in between meals and before and after workouts to maximize muscle growth.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaoscougar1

@dylandr said:

@chaoscougar1: i can benchpress 90 kilos, does that say enough? :)

Depends on how much you weigh

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

For powder, go with ON Gold Standard. Those are widely used all over the world so you know they are quality stuff. Some people argue back and forth that plant protein is best for you or whatever but protein is protein. I switched between a few different types and the result doesn't change much. Grab a bottle of creatine too while you are at all. Those imo are more helpful than whey when building muscle.

*Avoid protein bars unless they are Pure Protein, Quest or Oh Yeah! Victory bars because those sugar will mess you up pretty bad.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@jasean79 said:
@ferrari2001 said:

It's recommended you take in about 58g of protein each day.. The average American consumes 102g a day.

Actually, if you're looking to gain muscle in the way of weight training, it is recommended that you eat 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. So, that's where protein shakes have their use. They're low in calories, sugar, and fat, but provide ample amounts of protein. I'm all for using them. They're great for in between meals and before and after workouts to maximize muscle growth.

I've never seen any health guidelines to indicate 1-2 grams per pound is recommended. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends .5-.8grams per pound for endurance and strength trained athletes. Which for most people will still likely fall within their normal daily protein intake. I for one believe that a balanced healthy diet of varied types of protein will always be better for you then a whey protein supplement. Although if one were to limit protein intake throughout the day and supplement a whey protein after workouts I could sort of see how that could be beneficial to muscle growth. But rarely do normal people strategically calculate their protein intakes to account for the extra supplement they've added to their diets.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Whatever tastes the best, and also isnt soy :)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Trainers hate him!

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

how about taking some of these protien shakes, but you have no intentions of working out?

I say this because I need to gain weight. Im not trying to get into cross-fit cut like figure. I just simply want to gain like a good 15 pounds.

Again.... just only looking to gain weight, dont care for working out and gaining muscle mass.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 General_X
@ferrari2001 said:

I never understood the fascination with protein powders. Us Americans already consume more protein then what we actually need, almost 2x more then we actually need. Taking in even more protein is just extra calories that can lead to weight gain, or necessity to exercise even more to work off the extra weight. It recommended you chart your actual protein intake and determine if the extra protein is actually needed. Chances are you don't need extra protein so buying powder is a really expensive waste. It's recommended you take in about 58g of protein each day.. The average American consumes 102g a day. Most people do not need supplements for protein intake. Although gyms and health stores make lots of money off protein supplements so they will likely tell you it's somehow needed for a better workout.

The problem with the American average is 50% of the total are overweight and 30% are obese. So they're eating 3-4000+ calories so ofcourse they're also getting a lot of protein. People who are eating at a calorie deficit or slightly above maintenance and also doing weight training will need more concentrated sources of protein such as protein powders and chicken. It also just so happens that gram per dollar protein powders are one of the cheapest and most convenient forms of protein.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 General_X
@Nengo_Flow said:

how about taking some of these protien shakes, but you have no intentions of working out?

I say this because I need to gain weight. Im not trying to get into cross-fit cut like figure. I just simply want to gain like a good 15 pounds.

Again.... just only looking to gain weight, dont care for working out and gaining muscle mass.

Yeah you can just drink protein shakes with 2% or Whole milk to get some extra calories and gain weight, just be warned that if you aren't weight training it'll almost certainly be pure fat instead of muscle weight gain, no matter what you eat.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@General_X said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

Yeah you can just drink protein shakes with 2% or Whole milk to get some extra calories and gain weight, just be warned that if you aren't weight training it'll almost certainly be pure fat instead of muscle weight gain, no matter what you eat.

im at 9% or less in total body fat.... I need a little dont you think?

the reason im freaking out is because I recently lost 8 pounds in a short amount of time by accident, and I dont need to be skinnier than I already am

sure muscle gain would be nice, but that aint gonna happen cuz I work too much and go to university to ever have time to lift a thing

thecoolhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thecoolhh
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

I have a bag of ON Gold Standard Whey which tastes pretty good but I don't really use it all that often. I honestly just to prefer to get my protein from actual food sources but if I'm falling short on my macros for the day I'll make a shake real quick.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jasean79

@ferrari2001 said:
@jasean79 said:
@ferrari2001 said:

I've never seen any health guidelines to indicate 1-2 grams per pound is recommended. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends .5-.8grams per pound for endurance and strength trained athletes. Which for most people will still likely fall within their normal daily protein intake. I for one believe that a balanced healthy diet of varied types of protein will always be better for you then a whey protein supplement. Although if one were to limit protein intake throughout the day and supplement a whey protein after workouts I could sort of see how that could be beneficial to muscle growth. But rarely do normal people strategically calculate their protein intakes to account for the extra supplement they've added to their diets.

The fact that you haven't seen it doesn't make it untrue. Trust me, dude, I've done workout programs to build muscle and every single one of the authors of those programs suggested at least 1 gram of lean protein per pound per day. This includes sources such as chicken breast, fish, beef loin or top round, and protein shakes. The extra protein in your diet makes all the difference when you're weight training.