What is more important in college

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What is more important in college (15 votes)

Exploring who you are as a person 13%
Getting a job 33%
Learning your material of study 47%
College is useless 7%
Other 0%

They all are important, but for those of us in or who were in college what was your driving motivation. I will not lie, when I went to school I thought it was a just a good excuse to live off on my own. I was bored and burned out from my hometown and needed an out so I got scholarships and excepted into a school in a different city. Although I always did good GPA wise, I barely knew what I wanted to do with my life. Long story short I had a lot of amazing life experiences and met some amazing people and going to university was a big help with that.

I actually transferred to a bigger university and have a better idea of what I want to do with my life, not on a occupational level but knowing the kind of work that I will enjoy. I hate scrub jobs and I can not stand being unengaged so knowing the things that challenge me and keep me interested are the biggest things that I have gained from university so far.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

You can explore yourself as a person without giving tens of thousands of dollars a year to rich asshole professors and bureaucrats so they can order you around and spending thousands more on absurdly overpriced textbooks that further enrich those people.

So yeah, credentials for your career ftw.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

@Storm_Marine said:

You can explore yourself as a person without giving tens of thousands of dollars a year to rich asshole professors and bureaucrats so they can order you around and spending thousands more on absurdly overpriced textbooks that further enrich those people

So yeah, credentials for your career ftw.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-598fc45371265

"I hate scrub jobs"

Few don't.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

Most people think that when you go to college that you are guaranteed a good paying job but in reality most of the degrees are worthless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Learning the one and only reason. There's classes I got Cs in and learned more in them than in classes I've gotten B in.

It hits you when your actually working like man I should of paid more attention in class

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

For me college was all about the learning.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I guess I just feel like, in the time frame when I came to college I was not interested in school. I was just a kid(I still am to some people) and I just left school after being in it from prek-12th grades. I used college as a resource to open myself up to new experiences and further my world view. I not only realized the kind of work I wanted to do(which was within my current major that I started school with), but I discovered another field of study(so now I double major), I discovered the kind of art I want to make, I discovered my appreciation for academia.

I do want to learn my material, but not for a job but to better enrich myself. I know I could have discovered all of this out of school, but academia was a great facilitator.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Learning and networking are my number one and two reasons for going to college and they are so similar in importance that they could be considered equal.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Getting qualified for what I want to do.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

The acquisition of knowledge is the reason for any college. Obviously the knowledge you gain there can and should be used in your future endeavors, but the growing in knowledge is the most important part. In fact growing in knowledge is one of the primary and most important responsibilities of being human. Plato argued that the acquisition of knowledge was of the highest good and necessary for the attainment of all other goods.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

The acquisition of knowledge is the reason for any college. Obviously the knowledge you gain there can and should be used in your future endeavors, but the growing in knowledge is the most important part. In fact growing in knowledge is one of the primary and most important responsibilities of being human. Plato argued that the acquisition of knowledge was of the highest good and necessary for the attainment of all other goods.

Plato also argues that a duty of the educated is to educate those without knowledge. That is applicable to careers. By granting individuals opportunities to increase knowledge through associated experience (networking), the educated are fulfilling that duty with or without knowledge of Plato's argument. In the same time period of ancient Greece, the Sophists were teaching that 'arete' or professionalism is not inherent in aristocrats, or rulers, but a trained skill. That said, Plato's Academy, is considered by some as the first European school.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Networking and learning formy career woman number 1 cole. However do your best to future proof your major. I graduated in 2000 and majored in cartography. That degree is pretty much useless now with every phone having a GPS and maps being digitally created.

So if you are really passionate about your major and you want it to be a career for your life try to think whether or not it will be useful in 15 to 20 years.