What is meant by karma?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by avtria100 (45 posts) -

What is meant by karma here & what those are equal to ?

#2 Posted by Iszdope (10441 posts) -

#3 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2972 posts) -

Karma?!

I believe this is what it means. " the good or bad emanations felt to be generated by someone or something"

found it in an online dictionary,let's find out if this definition is the one that fits

#4 Posted by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

#5 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Karma is cause and effect. Nothing more, nothing less.

#6 Edited by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -

@bob_toeback said:

My favorite description, ever.

#7 Posted by Chevolutionary (23290 posts) -

It's a mild chicken curry.

#8 Edited by DonQuixote (111 posts) -

This idea that doing some bad will necessarily cause something bad to happen to you due to some rule of the universe or some other nonsense is completely unfounded and pulled out of thin air. The only thing you realistically have to worry about when you harm someone on purpose is their retaliation... not the universe punishing you in some way. People need to stop making things up when it comes to life.

#9 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5394 posts) -

@bob_toeback said:

Haha, that's great.

#10 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36908 posts) -

@bob_toeback said:

lol

#11 Edited by MrGeezer (56767 posts) -

@donquixote said:

This idea that doing some bad will necessarily cause something bad to happen to you due to some rule of the universe or some other nonsense is completely unfounded and pulled out of thin air. The only thing you realistically have to worry about when you harm someone on purpose is their retaliation... not the universe punishing you in some way. People need to stop making things up when it comes to life.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that that is basically what karma is: just cause and effect. People misinterpret it as some sense of the universe handing down divine judgement on people based on whether or not they are good or bad, but that it's really just cause and effect. If you act like a dick, then you get treated like a dick. Not because the cosmos is punishing you for being bad, but rather because people are gonna treat you like an @$$hole if you act like an @$$hole.

#12 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

I think you may have spent too much time on reddit.

#13 Posted by spike6958 (4945 posts) -

Karma? It's a bitch.

#14 Edited by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@donquixote said:

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that that is basically what karma is: just cause and effect. People misinterpret it as some sense of the universe handing down divine judgement on people based on whether or not they are good or bad, but that it's really just cause and effect. If you act like a dick, then you get treated like a dick. Not because the cosmos is punishing you for being bad, but rather because people are gonna treat you like an @$$hole if you act like an @$$hole.

Yup. People in the West misunderstand it because the idea of divine retribution is ingrained into our collective psyche.

#15 Edited by sukraj (23489 posts) -

Karma ur self down