What is GiantBomb and how does it relate to GameSpot?

koreform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By koreform
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

Okay, so I've been using GameSpot on and off for almost a decade. Recently I noticed that GiantBomb has crept onto the scene. So I did some digging, but I just got more confused. If they are both owned by CBS Interactive, why not just merge? From what I hear, they even work in the same building. But since they are different websites, why do some shows from GiantBomb carry over to GameSpot and some don't? I am just curious, because there is a lot of mention and participation of GiantBomb in GameSpot features.

Note: I don't know if this has been asked or discussed before here, I would love to do a forum search but that function is broken (thank you, GameSpot) and if it has I have no problem with being directed to such threads.

I'm not sure if this belongs in Off-Topic, it's about GameSpot but I didn't know where else to post it.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

GiantBomb was formed by Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis [RIP] (Along with Alex Navarro, Brad Shoemaker and Vinny Caravella) after the whole Kayne & Lynch fiasco
All previous writers of Gamespot

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

A scorned gamespot reviewer started the website and then sold out to and started working with gamespot.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Years ago a bunch of Gamespot employees left the company and made Giantbomb. Then CBSi bought them, and now they work in the same office as Gamespot. Giantbomb has a rather large following at this point, and no one wants to see the two sites merge. I prefer Giantbomb in every way, and do not want to see the Gamespot team in their content.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

A scorned gamespot reviewer started the website and then sold out to and started working with gamespot.

it was a necessary decision.

Both sites have lost a ton of traffic.

koreform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 koreform

Hmm, I guess it's a messy situation. If they are loosing traffic, wouldn't it be better to just merge? Though I always wonder where people go if they leave GameSpot, I can't find any other sites that cover games exclusively (unlike say IGN) and maintain a forum...

Revisited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Revisited
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

I'm actually curious if they're like, friends now and in league with each other, like gamespot and gamefaqs (both cesspools which I can't decide which I hate more, myself for going back to them or the dumps themselves)

Revisited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Revisited
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

@chaoscougar1: lol you meant literally "rest in peace" not "oh the account is dead on gamespot and will no longer be active. Just did a google search and... good lord. That guy was fat. And a video game reviewer? The implications there... when video "gamers" talk about their unhealthy hobby in a positive light, I point to stuff like this...

More importantly, is Alex Navarro really on that site? And has been for the past 5 years? I love that guy! I can't believe all the guys from gspot are there. Is Greg Kasavin also there as well?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Revisited said:

More importantly, is Alex Navarro really on that site? And has been for the past 5 years? I love that guy! I can't believe all the guys from gspot are there. Is Greg Kasavin also there as well?

Nope. He is designing and making games at Supergiant Games, but he is a friend of the site and sometimes hops on for podcasts and videos.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@koreform said:

Okay, so I've been using GameSpot on and off for almost a decade. Recently I noticed that GiantBomb has crept onto the scene. So I did some digging, but I just got more confused. If they are both owned by CBS Interactive, why not just merge? From what I hear, they even work in the same building. But since they are different websites, why do some shows from GiantBomb carry over to GameSpot and some don't? I am just curious, because there is a lot of mention and participation of GiantBomb in GameSpot features.

Note: I don't know if this has been asked or discussed before here, I would love to do a forum search but that function is broken (thank you, GameSpot) and if it has I have no problem with being directed to such threads.

I'm not sure if this belongs in Off-Topic, it's about GameSpot but I didn't know where else to post it.

GiantBomb and GameSpot are both separate sites. When GiantBomb joined CBSi, the main thing they said is that they wouldn't come together, but instead, have collaborations with each other.

And the reason you see some videos/shows from GB appear here on GameSpot is that GiantBomb is hoping to get the audience here on GS to take notice of some GB's content.

Hope this helped.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@Revisited said:

@chaoscougar1: lol you meant literally "rest in peace" not "oh the account is dead on gamespot and will no longer be active. Just did a google search and... good lord. That guy was fat. And a video game reviewer? The implications there... when video "gamers" talk about their unhealthy hobby in a positive light, I point to stuff like this...

You are a human POS Revisited.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

@Revisited said:

Mods, please ban this asshole. Seriously.

koreform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 koreform

@behardy24: Thanks, that helps clear up my confusion. I am checking out GiantBomb right now, seems pretty decent.