What is an average salary for Entry Level IT position?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -
Just wondering. About to be offered a job at a company on their IT team and want to be prepared to make sure I negotiate for a proper salary. I'm not looking for mega millions here.. I just don't want to get low-balled, so to speak. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks
#2 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

Depends on what you have going for you.

I didnt have a degree at the time, first place I got my job at started me off at $12 an hour (this place was like the McDonalds of the IT industry). Most entry level jobs will start in $16-$20 range though

#3 Posted by Wasdie (49927 posts) -

You don't have that much power to negotiate salary and benefits for an entry level position. The whole point of an entry level position is for them to offload grunt work onto somebody in the field. This gets the employee relevant experience while being cheaper for the company.

Also when you say IT position, what do you mean? IT is pretty broad.

What kind of education are you coming from?

#4 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -
I'll be getting paid full-time training with full benefits. Workshops and instruction/apprenticeship. I have only basic experience with IT related stuff. Stuff like mapping drives, setting up VPN tunnels, installing/removing hardware, adding computers and printers to networks... Just really basic stuff that I did at my old office job because they were too cheap to hire an IT guy. Most of my knowledge I just picked up on my own. I'm really just jumping into this. Looking for a new career. But I'm going to be trained on everything over a course of 3 months and then added to an existing IT team that works as a Help Desk for a company. No salary has been discusses yet. That meeting happens later this week. I'm just curious about what to expect and what would be considered too low. Basically, if its worth going through all this. Even if its just to get some experience for a better IT job down the road.
#5 Posted by Wasdie (49927 posts) -

So on-job training and help desk work?

You're looking at 30-40k.

#6 Posted by guynamedbilly (12965 posts) -

Wasdie
Depends on where you live, but here in TN Wasdie is accurate.
#7 Posted by Serraph105 (28082 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

guynamedbilly

Same with Indiana.
#8 Posted by Wasdie (49927 posts) -

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Serraph105

Same with Indiana.

I'm basing my numbers off of Wisconsin and Minnesota.

#9 Posted by GameGuy642003 (1768 posts) -
Well I got hired on as an intern for a company who has a 2 person IT team. I just graduated and got my 4-year degree from California State University Fresno and am still making $12 an hour. I believe that comes to around 20K a year. I hope they raise it higher but we will see. I am doing pretty much the same stuff you are doing.
#10 Posted by fueled-system (6292 posts) -
In all honesty, you have virtually ZERO flexibility. Unless you were the only one interviewed the only thing they will do is go down the list and find the next best qualified person.
#11 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] Depends on where you live, but here in TN Wasdie is accurate.Wasdie

Same with Indiana.

I'm basing my numbers off of Wisconsin and Minnesota.

It's about right for the UK as well, seems entry level IT work is around the 18k mark which is roughly 32-34k in dollars.
#12 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

Ok.

Not as much as I was hoping for.

Still, experience is experience, right? Stepping stones...

:(

#13 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

Ok.

Netherscourge
It takes time, the money will show once you show that you deserve a raise.
#14 Posted by EPaul (9906 posts) -

You should get some certifications like Comptia A+ & N+

#15 Posted by fueled-system (6292 posts) -

Ok.

Netherscourge
Seriously? You're complaining about 30-40k? Alot of people who got bachelors degrees in other fields would dream for 30k to start off with... I remember somebody two days ago doing a study on people who majored in sports journalism and those guys were lucky to make 20k a year.