BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

Would the game still be as popular as it is today? Would people care?

I'm asking this because I find it very unappealing to play a female protagonist in a game that is ugly. Like idk I know the focus is supposed to be on the game and her character but still...

On the other hand I have zero problem with playing an ugly male protagonist. I feel that in terms of male protagonists, developers don't have to put effort into making them handsome. Nobody had any problem playing Niko Bellic in gta 4 lol...

TLDR: Male protagonists don't have to be handsome but female protagonists have to be visually appealing most of the time. IMO

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44485 Posts

What if Nathan Drake looked like Gabe Newell?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

You can thanks to the Donut Drake skin. And it's fuckin awesome.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44485 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@lamprey263 said:

You can thanks to the Donut Drake skin. And it's fuckin awesome.

Would it really be awesome if the only skin you got to play as was a donut skin variant, like say oh you can be a plain cake, or with colorful sprinkles, or a maple bar, etc?

EDIT: oh, I see what you mean by Donut Drake, forgot about that I thought you were being literal like tofu in Resident Evil :P

But, my sentiment stands that if these were the default character for the series and not some kind of MP variant would the appeal be the same? And to that I think not.

TC is trying to suggest that our appreciation of female characters is sexually driven in nature and therefor we're exceptionally bad for this. It's funny though, women do the same thing, superficially determine who captivates their attention on looks rather than merit of character. And it's not always sexual in nature either. Men and women, gay or straight, are generally attracted to... well, the attractive.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BboyStatix

@lamprey263: I agree with your point that the appeal would not be the same. Like I can tell a lot of people would be quite put off if Nathan drake looked like Trevor in the next iteration. But I personally believe it would not destroy the franchise because of that.

On the other hand if Lara looked like a female version of Trevor in the next iteration (oh God) it would spell death for the tomb raider franchise.

It's a little bit biased towards the genders and I think it has to do with the fact that men are visual creatures by nature.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

what if good looking people werent the ones we saw on TV and movies?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

That's why I prefer the first-person view. I can always pretend it's me. ;-)

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

what if good looking people werent the ones we saw on TV and movies?

Society would collapse and the world as we know it would end.

I mean, what else would happen? :P

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

That's why I prefer the first-person view. I can always pretend it's me. ;-)

Indeed. FPS FTW!

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BboyStatix

@jun_aka_pekto: and then you look down and see no bulge in your pants xD

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I don't necessarily wan't to play any "ugly" character, male or female... especially in games where customization is a factor. Niko's appearance did actually make the game slightly less enjoyable for me. And in GTA 5 there was only one set of clothing I would ever put Trevor in because I didn't like the way he looked in any of the other stuff.

Now, this barely had an impact on my enjoyment, but there was AN impact. I don't think an ugly character could ever turn me off from a game by itself though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@BboyStatix said:

@jun_aka_pekto: and then you look down and see no bulge in your pants xD

That's fine. It's not like I spend time looking at my junk . ;-)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I may find someone really attractive, whilst someone else may completely feel the opposite way about them.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I think it could still work, but they'd need to give her a more interesting personality.

@BattleSpectre said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I may find someone really attractive, whilst someone else may completely feel the opposite way about them.

Everyone's heard that before, and while there's certainly some truth to it, there are also traits that most men find inherently attractive in women. I'm not going to list them, but unsurprisingly they mostly relate to health and fertility.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

weird question......

Especially considering what the first Tomb Raider game looked like..... all pixelated and blocky models.....

I think its safe to say nobody found her attractive back then.....

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Mmm, that's the kind of face that sold me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58461 Posts

No, obviously.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@lamprey263: The game would only be funny :p

already see the mighty gaben killing whole legions of peasants! (JOKE, don't get your nips twisted people)

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Then the series wouldn't have sold millions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Undecided whether this belongs in Off-Topic or not. If you guys keep this discussion on the behavioural side of things I'll leave it, if you focus on the gaming aspect I'll move it to Games Discussion. Either way, interesting topic.

Personally speaking I don't really have a preference on the look of my characters, except if it's an established franchise and they completely change the look of the character, then it feels a bit weird. It's ok if it's a reboot, though. I don't think the look of a character influences how attached I get to his/her fate.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55821 Posts

Angelina Jolie Was a good looking Lara Croft in Tomb Raider.

@korvus Well since this is OT after all, Lara Craft had a live movie after all and for all I know, some people could be talking about the movie as I stated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@davillain-: That would make "playing Lara Croft" a whole different meaning =P

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dylandr

@korvus: Still waiting for the Steam exclusive DLC for MGS

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BboyStatix

@dylandr: LOL! Day one purchase right there

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#25 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@BboyStatix said:

Would the game still be as popular as it is today? Would people care?

I'm asking this because I find it very unappealing to play a female protagonist in a game that is ugly. Like idk I know the focus is supposed to be on the game and her character but still...

On the other hand I have zero problem with playing an ugly male protagonist. I feel that in terms of male protagonists, developers don't have to put effort into making them handsome. Nobody had any problem playing Niko Bellic in gta 4 lol...

TLDR: Male protagonists don't have to be handsome but female protagonists have to be visually appealing most of the time. IMO

I always thought that lara was fugly before her 2013 makeover. I still liked the games.

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
BabyPulpFiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 BabyPulpFiction
Member since 2013 • 246 Posts

Most people hate playing ugly characters, male or female. So yes, it would greatly affect the game's success.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

She is ugly, look at the original game. Not enough polygons :p

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BboyStatix

@magmadragoonx4: well you could say there weren't enough polygons but at least the polygons were in the places that mattered ;) Btw don't forget the nude mods that came out looool

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

This makes me wonder why there aren't more ugly characters in team superhero movies.

I mean, yeah...I get it. No one goes to the movies to watch ugly people, so I totally understand that even the ugly people in movies usually tend to be Hollywood Ugly.

My question is, why aren't there more characters that are at least Hollywood Ugly? I mean, I guess there's that new Fantastic Four movie coming out, and The Thing would technically qualify as ugly, but he's also built like a badass and can Clobber shit like you wouldn't believe.

But that sort of brings me to my point. Yeah, The Thing is "ugly" and a "freak", but he makes up for it by being able to clobber shit really well. And if that ain't enough, he's part of a team. The rest of the Fantastic Four are pretty damn attractive, so it's sort of okay to have one dude on the team who sort of looks like a piece of shit.

Or let me bring up another example. Has anyone here seen Nightbreed? It has a fairly forgettable Clive Barker "horror" movie with the catch that the protagonists were monsters. And the plot sort of revolved around a community of monsters being attacked by humans and having to slaughter humans for their own survival. So, basically a "monsters killing humans" movie, except that the monsters were "mostly" (sort of) the good guys. But my point is this...the lead monster was a pretty good looking dude. i mean, granted it was the 90's so we'd probably laugh at his clothes and hair now, but he was a pretty sexy dude. And making the main monster a sexy dude allowed the filmmakers to make some of the other monsters even uglier. If I recall, there actually was a monster on "the team" who literally WAS a pile of shit. And I mean LITERALLY a pile of shit. When our Hot Human Protagonist finds out he's a monster and meets the crew, we're introduced to a guy who is LITERALLY just a big old stinky pile of literal feces. And...that's okay. Because it's okay to have the token ugly guy, as long as it's working within a team dynamic.

So here's my question...with "expanded universes" being the hot thing right now, shouldn't we have more ugly heroes?

And yes...I totally understand why the ugly guy wouldn't be able to carry his own movie. But, like, think of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There are already so many heroes there, that it wouldn't hurt to have ONE guy (or gal) who is just plain ugly as shit and still manages to be likable either through personality or ethics or just having badass abilities. As much as people always complained about the "token black guy", at least that trope recognized that black people EXIST and can actually not be evil. Sure, Token Black Guy usually gets killed off (though it's been less common that he dies pointlessly, or is the first one to die), but it's a SMALL victory: a black guy can be on the good side, and a good guy can be black (even if he's the first to die).

But somehow, we just don't see that in modern superhero movies. I mean, look at Blade. That was a while ago, but one thing that bothered me was when Blade discovered the fatass Vampire and totured him for information. And then the fatass Vampire gave up the information and then Blade continued to torture that vampire anyway, just for shits and giggles. It's like, vampires were built up to be this big threat (otherwise Blade would have no reason rto kill them all). Then our hero meets te ugliest fucking vampire in the entire movie and it's okay for Blade to torture that vampire just for fun just because that vampire is ugly as shit.

But I mean...look at the Avengers. Or more appropriately, the X-Men. Especially X-Men. Given that X-Men are mutants and have their powers imbedded in their genes, doesn't it stand to reason that some mutants with fascinating powers or stories would just plain happen to be ugly as shit? Oh, it's okay for the VILLAINS to be fucking ugly, like MODOK or the Blob. But the GOOD GUYS? You're either not ugly, or you're ugly and made absolutely useless so that we can use your uselessness as a way to get rid of The Ugly Guy. We RARELY get a "Fantastic Four" situation in which one of the heroes is just a butt-ugly monster. Which seems kind of weird. Because expanding the cinematic universe SHOULD allow the ugly people to plkay off of the pretty people, which SHOULD allow us to at least ACKNOWLEDGE that sometimes the butt-ugly people can actually be the good guys.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

This makes me wonder why there aren't more ugly characters in team superhero movies.

I mean, yeah...I get it. No one goes to the movies to watch ugly people, so I totally understand that even the ugly people in movies usually tend to be Hollywood Ugly.

My question is, why aren't there more characters that are at least Hollywood Ugly? I mean, I guess there's that new Fantastic Four movie coming out, and The Thing would technically qualify as ugly, but he's also built like a badass and can Clobber shit like you wouldn't believe.

But that sort of brings me to my point. Yeah, The Thing is "ugly" and a "freak", but he makes up for it by being able to clobber shit really well. And if that ain't enough, he's part of a team. The rest of the Fantastic Four are pretty damn attractive, so it's sort of okay to have one dude on the team who sort of looks like a piece of shit.

Or let me bring up another example. Has anyone here seen Nightbreed? It has a fairly forgettable Clive Barker "horror" movie with the catch that the protagonists were monsters. And the plot sort of revolved around a community of monsters being attacked by humans and having to slaughter humans for their own survival. So, basically a "monsters killing humans" movie, except that the monsters were "mostly" (sort of) the good guys. But my point is this...the lead monster was a pretty good looking dude. i mean, granted it was the 90's so we'd probably laugh at his clothes and hair now, but he was a pretty sexy dude. And making the main monster a sexy dude allowed the filmmakers to make some of the other monsters even uglier. If I recall, there actually was a monster on "the team" who literally WAS a pile of shit. And I mean LITERALLY a pile of shit. When our Hot Human Protagonist finds out he's a monster and meets the crew, we're introduced to a guy who is LITERALLY just a big old stinky pile of literal feces. And...that's okay. Because it's okay to have the token ugly guy, as long as it's working within a team dynamic.

So here's my question...with "expanded universes" being the hot thing right now, shouldn't we have more ugly heroes?

And yes...I totally understand why the ugly guy wouldn't be able to carry his own movie. But, like, think of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There are already so many heroes there, that it wouldn't hurt to have ONE guy (or gal) who is just plain ugly as shit and still manages to be likable either through personality or ethics or just having badass abilities. As much as people always complained about the "token black guy", at least that trope recognized that black people EXIST and can actually not be evil. Sure, Token Black Guy usually gets killed off (though it's been less common that he dies pointlessly, or is the first one to die), but it's a SMALL victory: a black guy can be on the good side, and a good guy can be black (even if he's the first to die).

But somehow, we just don't see that in modern superhero movies. I mean, look at Blade. That was a while ago, but one thing that bothered me was when Blade discovered the fatass Vampire and totured him for information. And then the fatass Vampire gave up the information and then Blade continued to torture that vampire anyway, just for shits and giggles. It's like, vampires were built up to be this big threat (otherwise Blade would have no reason rto kill them all). Then our hero meets te ugliest fucking vampire in the entire movie and it's okay for Blade to torture that vampire just for fun just because that vampire is ugly as shit.

But I mean...look at the Avengers. Or more appropriately, the X-Men. Especially X-Men. Given that X-Men are mutants and have their powers imbedded in their genes, doesn't it stand to reason that some mutants with fascinating powers or stories would just plain happen to be ugly as shit? Oh, it's okay for the VILLAINS to be fucking ugly, like MODOK or the Blob. But the GOOD GUYS? You're either not ugly, or you're ugly and made absolutely useless so that we can use your uselessness as a way to get rid of The Ugly Guy. We RARELY get a "Fantastic Four" situation in which one of the heroes is just a butt-ugly monster. Which seems kind of weird. Because expanding the cinematic universe SHOULD allow the ugly people to plkay off of the pretty people, which SHOULD allow us to at least ACKNOWLEDGE that sometimes the butt-ugly people can actually be the good guys.

I notice you always write very much on comments. You can make your point in few words as not everyones going to read so much lol. On good side you make good points, try to say it in few words to get it across to everyone HeHe

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@indzman said:

I notice you always write very much on comments. You can make your point in few words as not everyones going to read so much lol. On good side you make good points, try to say it in few words to get it across to everyone HeHe

Thanks for the suggestion, but no way. **** that.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@indzman said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but no way. **** that.

Well that was short and to the point lol

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dylandr

@magmadragoonx4: ikr just not enough poligons!

how could they forget those!?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

There is plenty of ugly people in movies and television. Ever take a look at Mike from Better Call Saul? He's one ugly mother. What about Steve Buscemi?

Hell - you could argue that Hannibal, despite dressing like a handsome devil, is kind of ugly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup

@KHAndAnime said:

There is plenty of ugly people in movies and television. Ever take a look at Mike from Better Call Saul? He's one ugly mother. What about Steve Buscemi?

Hell - you could argue that Hannibal, despite dressing like a handsome devil, is kind of ugly.

That's true, although I think video games tends to be akin more towards animation than live action.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18781 Posts

@KHAndAnime: "Hell - you could argue that Hannibal, despite dressing like a handsome devil, is kind of ugly."

I think men don't have to be young and handsome to keep getting work in movies/TV. Women are a different story.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

Tom Cruise is 52 kissing 29 year olds.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127472 Posts

She wasn't exactly pretty in the earlier games.

Honestly I don't think most people would mind it.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

What if she's 400 lbs, will you still like her?!... probably not.

..... wait, someone gonna say, yes!!!

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Characterization matters , not the looks.

@KHAndAnime said:

This proves my point.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

It would be the greatest game of all time.