What happened to Mark Hamill's career???

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by backinthekrak (756 posts) -

I watched the old school Star Wars movies the other day (aka - "the good ones" or "the ones that aren't utterly retarded") and I had to wonder what the hell happened to Mark Hamill afterwards. I mean, he was the main good guy in the biggest movie on the PLANET and he did basically nothing after it- I mean, apart from the classic "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia".........(sarcasm). Meanwhile Harrison Ford goes on to make a zillion dollars starring in some mega-blockbuster every six months for the next thirty years. What the hell?

#2 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12237 posts) -
He's just done the voice acting for the Joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is going to be HUGE.
#3 Posted by lonewolf604 (8558 posts) -
He's just done the voice acting for the Joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is going to be HUGE. jimmyjammer69
not to mention he did joker on BTAM
#4 Posted by super_mario_128 (23884 posts) -
Does it matter? I did not think he was very good in Star Wars.
#5 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4968 posts) -

Wikipidea will probably tell you, but if I was to tell you from my own knowlage without looking it up.

He stared in one other film about time travel, he wrote comics, he had a motorbike accident, he got married, he stared in Westwood studio Wing commander games, he did voice acting for Batman annimated series and the dude from Full Throttle.

#6 Posted by weezyfb (14703 posts) -
he jsut did asulym
#7 Posted by my_mortal_coil (2839 posts) -

Well, according to IMDB he did a voice for Little Mermaid in 1989, then Sleepwalkers, then the cartoon show "Two Stupid Dogs" (I loved that cartoon). "Hey Arnold" and "The Outer Limits", did a voice for Crash Bandicoot, The Oblongs, he appeared in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as Cocknocker, Family Guy, COD2, Spongebob Squarepants, Futurama, Avatar, Metalocalypse, Afro Samuri, Robot Chicken, and many many others. These are just the highlights.

Looks like he has made quite a career out of voice acting, being in everything from animated films to cartoons to video games. I bet he's made bank ...

#8 Posted by dan-rofl-copter (2702 posts) -

The reason I think is that if you see him in a film everyone thinks Luke Skywalker not the guy he is suppose to be, so voice acting fits the shoe well.

#9 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15555 posts) -
The Joker, Full Throttle, and Wing Commander. Better than what a lot of actors that star in a few good movies do.
#10 Posted by manicfoot (2636 posts) -

I think he became one of those actors who became so well known for one role, it would be kind of weird if he was anything else. He's an awesome voice actor though. One of the best. He does creepy voices really well.

#11 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22232 posts) -

He's just done the voice acting for the Joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is going to be HUGE. jimmyjammer69

and he is going to be in darksiders.

#12 Posted by Silent-Hal (9795 posts) -
His voice acting for Batman: The Animated Series and Arkham Asylum has been the definitive Joker performance for me. Heath Ledger was good, but he lacked the manic exuberance that Hamill put into the role.
#13 Posted by Bourbons3 (24248 posts) -
He's too type-cast, so he does voice acting. But his character was one of the worst in the Star Wars films.
#14 Posted by Shrodinger (994 posts) -

Yeah...

#15 Posted by ParisHilton1Fan (1071 posts) -

But Uncle Ben! I was gonna go to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors!

#16 Posted by starwarsjunky (24759 posts) -
they found out he murdered a rancor so nobody wanted him
#17 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28342 posts) -
I like his Joker voice quite a bit, but I feel Ledger's voice is more fitting for the role.
#18 Posted by Mochyc (4421 posts) -
He bathed in his own awesomeness, that's what.
#19 Posted by Razor-Lazor (12762 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shrodinger"]

Yeah...

I was waiting for someone to post that. :P
#20 Posted by Delphanius (1176 posts) -

He didn't do a lot of acting but his voice acting as joker is...incredible!

#21 Posted by ithilgore2006 (10489 posts) -

He mightn't have had much of an on-screen acting career after Star Wars, but he's become a great and diverse voice actor, so I would say he did just fine in the end.

#22 Posted by Mochyc (4421 posts) -

But Uncle Ben! I was gonna go to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors!

ParisHilton1Fan
It's Uncle Owen. Heresy!
#23 Posted by megagene (23037 posts) -
I'd say he's still doing pretty well for himself.
#24 Posted by Lief_Ericson (7082 posts) -

He got Typecasted just like Elijah Wood

#25 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
[QUOTE="ParisHilton1Fan"]

Mochyc
It's Uncle Owen. Heresy!

But then Luke was bitten by a radioactive Jedi and failed to stop the Stormtrooper who carjacked Uncle Ben's landspeeder!
#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (91116 posts) -

The same thing that happened to everyone else's career (except Ford) after Star Wars finished, disappeared into obscurity. But Hamill has done some great things since, he has played the Joker in the Batman animated series (which is easily the best voiced representation of the Joker), Fire Lord Ozai in Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon and is reprising his role as the Joker in the new Batman game. Not to mention the tons of other voice work he's done for various series.

He may not be famous like Ford is, but he's still got a commendable career.

#27 Posted by Commander-Gree (4929 posts) -
Haven't you played Arkham Asylum yet? His Joker is amazing.
#28 Posted by Second_Rook (3680 posts) -
I think that Luke is just so iconic that playing him was a career killer, if Mark had a wider range it might have turned out differently. Meanwhile Harrison possessed more versatility and quickly shifted gears from Han to portray Indiana Jones.
#29 Posted by Second_Rook (3680 posts) -
Also I forgot that he did get the unforgettable role of cock knocker.
#30 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

He wanted to avoid being typecast, but unfortunately most roles sent his way would've done exactly that. Big Red One was a pretty big film, though. He's done a lot of stage acting, as many actors do. People always wonder why certain actors don't do more roles, but the fact of the matter is they're dependent on their agents and the studios to get certain roles, and if the studios aren't offering certain roles and the agents can't get them these actors can't just sit around and do nothing. They can either take roles they don't necessarily like to make money (Harrison Ford), or they can take on a lot of smaller projects where they have greater creative freedom. For Hamill, that meant Broadway. There are a lot of other talented actors who do the same thing. Lawrence Fishbourne, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Brian Dennehey, John Goodman, to name a few.

#31 Posted by Anarchy4hire82 (828 posts) -

Unfortunately, Harrison Ford was the only actor/actress to really escape from Star Wars. Every time I see mark hammil or say...Billy dee williams, I can't help but think of them as Luke and Lando. maybe it helped Ford to escape because he made the Indiana Jones movies at almost the same time

#32 Posted by xXDrPainXx (4001 posts) -

Uncle Owen, I know I'm on probation. I clean the droids can i go to the Hatchi Station? I gotta lay away on the power converter but now your treating me like a scruffy nerf herder.

#33 Posted by MrGeezer (57194 posts) -

I watched the old school Star Wars movies the other day (aka - "the good ones" or "the ones that aren't utterly retarded") and I had to wonder what the hell happened to Mark Hamill afterwards. I mean, he was the main good guy in the biggest movie on the PLANET and he did basically nothing after it- I mean, apart from the classic "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia".........(sarcasm). Meanwhile Harrison Ford goes on to make a zillion dollars starring in some mega-blockbuster every six months for the next thirty years. What the hell?

backinthekrak

Harrison Ford was actually a decent actor, while Mark Hamil wasn't.

#34 Posted by mrbojangles25 (32126 posts) -

Dont forget ****knocker i Jay and Silent Bob movie

#35 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -

The same thing that happened to everyone else's career (except Ford) after Star Wars finished, disappeared into obscurity.

foxhound_fox
Carrie Fisher has by no means disappeared, she's just no longer best known as a screen actress, but rather as an author, stage performer and script doctor.
#36 Posted by m0zart (11568 posts) -

Carrie Fisher has by no means disappeared, she's just no longer best known as a screen actress, but rather as an author, stage performer and script doctor.xaos

She's also known for her dependency on scripts from doctors.

#37 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -

[QUOTE="xaos"]Carrie Fisher has by no means disappeared, she's just no longer best known as a screen actress, but rather as an author, stage performer and script doctor.m0zart

Yeah, but that is less of a source of her celebrity, unless you are looking at it as the basis for Postcards from the Edge or Wishful Drinking; hell, after finding out that Luke and Leia were sibs, can you blame her?
#38 Posted by metallica_fan42 (21143 posts) -
He is in all the episodes of Metalocalypse. I'm not sure which voice he does, but that show kicks ass.
#39 Posted by kemar7856 (11517 posts) -

he does cartoon voices after star wars

#40 Posted by reiv (1038 posts) -

Well, according to IMDB he did a voice for Little Mermaid in 1989, then Sleepwalkers, then the cartoon show "Two Stupid Dogs" (I loved that cartoon). "Hey Arnold" and "The Outer Limits", did a voice for Crash Bandicoot, The Oblongs, he appeared in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as Cocknocker, Family Guy, COD2, Spongebob Squarepants, Futurama, Avatar, Metalocalypse, Afro Samuri, Robot Chicken, and many many others. These are just the highlights.

Looks like he has made quite a career out of voice acting, being in everything from animated films to cartoons to video games. I bet he's made bank ...

my_mortal_coil
I remember the Outer Limits episode. He invented a machine which lets an inmate serve a virtual prison sentence. It was a good one.
#41 Posted by bangell99 (10568 posts) -

For that matter, what happened to all the actors except Ford? I guess Chewbacca might not have the voice for a major movie role, but the other actors just disappeared for no reason...

#42 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17645 posts) -

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="xaos"]Carrie Fisher has by no means disappeared, she's just no longer best known as a screen actress, but rather as an author, stage performer and script doctor.xaos

Yeah, but that is less of a source of her celebrity, unless you are looking at it as the basis for Postcards from the Edge or Wishful Drinking; hell, after finding out that Luke and Leia were sibs, can you blame her?

OMG I've seen that commercial so many times, and yesterday I saw a poster of it on campus....

#43 Posted by Guyper (3878 posts) -

Another of his memorable role besides the Joker

#44 Posted by StaticPenguin (3250 posts) -

I like his Joker voice quite a bit, but I feel Ledger's voice is more fitting for the role.sammyjenkis898

For Nolan's version of Batman sure.... I for one couldn't get past the "So... *slop slop slop* You wanna know how I got these scars? *slop slop slop*" It was irritating to hear with every scentence and his why so serious line has to be one of the most overrated quotes ever.

Anyway, nothing beats Hamill's Joker.

#45 Posted by ParisHilton1Fan (1071 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mochyc"][QUOTE="ParisHilton1Fan"]

xaos

It's Uncle Owen. Heresy!

But then Luke was bitten by a radioactive Jedi and failed to stop the Stormtrooper who carjacked Uncle Ben's landspeeder!

Say whaaaaaaat?

#46 Posted by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

Not sure, but he is a hell of a voice actor. All of you who dig him as the Joker might want to start looking into the upcoming game Darksiders as well. He is doing the voice of a character called 'The Watcher' and thus far it is sounding every bit as brilliant as his work as the Joker.

#47 Posted by Ontain (25501 posts) -

Another of his memorable role besides the Joker

Guyper

that was a great game btw. played it when it came out and seeing all those actors was really amazing back then.

#48 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24361 posts) -

Well I remember Mark Hamil releases "Corvette Summer" which didn't do too well and then he got in an awful car accident which sidelined him for a while and that's where he got those facial scars. His not so awesome acting ability along with the facial scars that no longer allowed him to bank on his youthful appearance after the Star Wars film caused him to go into smaller projects and voice acting I do believe.

Harrison Ford also floundered for a while. He got some keen supporting roles, but his first breakout lead role in Hanover Street did not go over well and it wasn't until the '80s when he was chosen for Raiders that he really began to work as a successful lead in film. As Xaos mentioned, Carrie Fisher is not only a highly successful scripts doctor, but she's kind of THE script doctor that you call when your movie is stuck and millions are on the line.

#49 Posted by lilasianwonder (5972 posts) -

He did a lot of voice acting for various cartoons and video games. His most notable role was as the joker in Batman The Animated series from the 90's.

#50 Posted by Hot-Tamale (2052 posts) -

Remember him in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? Hilarious. :lol: