What happen to rock music

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Can't be worse than mainstream rap but it lost a lot momentum in the turning decade. Seriously, bands like Imagine Dragon dominating with their over played song that feels more like pop but it can't be as annoying compared to the songs from FUN.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

tween pop ruined rock, but I'm sure non-mainstream rock is alive, and I'm sure you can find something good if you put the effort into it

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Uh could you by any chance use worse grammar and or spelling? Holy **** you need to fix that first sentence.

As far as what you're saying, rock is still around, though I'm pretty sure it's limited to hard rock bands like Avenged Sevenfold.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Real rock music still alive and stays underground ... and the internet .....

If you are too depending on MTV sort of thing .... then go listen to Mariah Curry and One direcion

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Rock has been about as bad (or good) as rap for a long time now, rock fans are in denial. Disturbed, Linkin Park, 90's "punk", Avenged Sevenfold, hell even metal is horribly overrated. Popular music this generation has been all about being angsty and calling other genres crappy.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Imagine who?

Nowadays, with internet radio and custom playlists, why are you listening to, or even care about top 40 radio?

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

Uh could you by any chance use worse grammar and or spelling? Holy **** you need to fix that first sentence.

As far as what you're saying, rock is still around, though I'm pretty sure it's limited to hard rock bands like Avenged Sevenfold.

Avenged Sevenfold actually worries me a bit considering their first album they put together without any help from The Rev was just plain AWFUL. Really hate Hail to the King and I am a big fan of the band....

As for the TC, IDK. I am sure good rock is there but I too have very recently been having the issue of not finding much new rock that I am interested in. I am not some hipster dude either. I like plenty of both popular and lesser known music, but I recently have noticed how little I am excited about new music these days...

Hopefully there will be a surge in good music soon!

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EPICCOMMANDER

Alright, now I see what people have been talking about; there's replies for this thread but I can't see any of them the f? Anybody else having trouble changing their settings in their profile as well??

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#9 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

Heavy Metal still remains and slightly more balls than rock haha :)

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@WolfgarTheQuiet said:

Heavy metal sucks. Yeah, I said it, whatcha gonna do about it?

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EPICCOMMANDER
@theone86 said:

@WolfgarTheQuiet said:

Heavy metal sucks. Yeah, I said it, whatcha gonna do about it?

I agree with you today's heavy metal sucks.

Now if you said that Sad Wings of Destiny is a terrible album, Black Sabbath sucks, and Jimmy Page is an awful guitarist, then we might have a problem.

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WolfgarTheQuiet

@EPICCOMMANDER: There is different forms of heay metal main is extreme metal. But for example if you think this sucks, you have no idea about the genre, hundreds of amazing bands out there

Loading Video...

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet

@EPICCOMMANDER : Dude ok it seems you are mentioning more screamo bands.

@theone86 There is another form of heavy metal which is extreme metal with its subgenres. Like if you guys say that something like this sucks, then any heavier music is not your cup of tea, which is cool, you dont have connection to it.

Dont expect yous to like the second one at all, either you dont like the sound or dont have any emotions awaken and well if you follow trendy mainstream stuff , peace :)

Loading Video...

Black Metal, more spiritual type of the genre

Loading Video...

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EPICCOMMANDER

@WolfgarTheQuiet: I just think this ravages that though.

Loading Video...

Alright but anyway, getting back to the TC...

Alright so yeah, I mean the closest to classic rock you're getting today in mainstream rock is probably blues rock like the Black Keys. And I can see why you dislike Imagine Dragons cause Radioactive for one is electronic rock with elements of dubstep so it's understandable.

And at the end of the day, you could always go back and find more classic rock as I'm 99% positive there's some classic rock you've yet to listen to. I for one being the young person I am, have barely touched Led Zeppelin's discography...

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Imagine Dragons are like a bro-y version of The Killers. I hate them. I really like The Killers, though. There are some good bands this decade, check out The Drums or The 1975.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Rock and roll is as good as its ever been. Any rock and roll fan can find some amazing stuff if they put some time and effort into searching. Go see some gigs man.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Music is always getting better. Just stop paying attention to the radio - that's for kids and for people who specifically don't listen to music seriously. Don't let the most popular artists, decided by teens, tweens, and soccer moms, decide your music taste for you.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

Real rock music still alive and stays underground ... and the internet .....

If you are too depending on MTV sort of thing .... then go listen to Mariah Curry and One direcion

QFT

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

"Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll will never die" ~Brian Johnson of AC/DC

Rock is still out there. You just won't find it on popular radio.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#22 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Music is always getting better. Just stop paying attention to the radio - that's for kids and for people who specifically don't listen to music seriously. Don't let the most popular artists, decided by teens, tweens, and soccer moms, decide your music taste for you.

Fucking spot on man.

@CroidX: I know the feeling. Rock isn't what it was and never will be. What I did was expand my music universe to other genres such as progressive, indie and folk mostly. There is a lot of good music out there you just have to do some digging like KHA mentioned.

Then once you branch out and find a different genre or band you like then you will be able to find similar artists and your music world will never be the same.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Good rock and roll music exists, just not on the surface level. Also, whether or not you will enjoy a lot of the better underground rock music is dependent on your tolerance of certain subgenres/genre-melding.

Generally speaking, popular music is always trash because it's made up of whatever appeals to the largest group of people/the lowest common denominator.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EPICCOMMANDER
@Assassin_87 said:

Generally speaking, popular music is always trash because it's made up of whatever appeals to the largest group of people/the lowest common denominator.

I disagree with the word 'always' in that sentence.

I like Get Lucky, Thrift Shop, Radioactive, Suit & Tie, I like Coldplay, I like Pharrell's new album...those are stuff I've played hundreds of times over the past year or so.

Of course, I hate Demi Lovato, Kesha, Miley Cyrus, etc., but my point here is that it is pretty ignorant to say that the majority of popular music is terrible. I highly doubt you've listened to 90% of what is 'popular music.'

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

Yeah just stop listening to the radio. Maybe download or burn (if you still buy disks, I still do) music that you loved back in your day, look up what they're doing now and I bet you'll find that they have a few albums that have never seen airtime. Go to venues, bars with live music, maybe search the internet for unknown small bands. Put everything on some form of portable storage (phone, ipod, etc) and take it with you everywhere so you never have to listen to shitty music (subjective as I'm sure today's generation loves it, and sometimes they play good music) ever again.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Assassin_87

@EPICCOMMANDER: Perhaps I was unclear. The "generally speaking" was meant to qualify everything there after as not being absolute, and the use of the word always was a poor choice on my part. Sorry about that. I'm not some hipster that avoids anything popular like the plague.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#27 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@jasean79 said:

"Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll will never die" ~Brian Johnson of AC/DC

AC/DC is my favorite band{I like the Bon Scott era better}.The classic bands are gone,few remain.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
@Assassin_87 said:

@EPICCOMMANDER: Perhaps I was unclear. The "generally speaking" was meant to qualify everything there after as not being absolute, and the use of the word always was a poor choice on my part. Sorry about that. I'm not some hipster that avoids anything popular like the plague.

Alright, I understand. We're good now. I just do not understand why people say things like all popular music is terrible, yet they're not specific about what they do not like about it. I'm fine if I'm listening to the top 40 station if it's Pharrell or Eminem, but as soon as it goes to Miley Cyrus I'm switching back to the grunge or heavy metal station (I have Sirius Radio).

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Assassin_87

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

Alright, I understand. We're good now. I just do not understand why people say things like all popular music is terrible, yet they're not specific about what they do not like about it. I'm fine if I'm listening to the top 40 station if it's Pharrell or Eminem, but as soon as it goes to Miley Cyrus I'm switching back to the grunge or heavy metal station (I have Sirius Radio).

I think a lot of people hate certain types of music or artists/bands just to be accepted by a certain group or to keep up an elitist persona.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Why does OT still get a few of these lame "I was born in the wrong generation" threads every week

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Assassin_87

@JML897: Because some people are still teenagers.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

@jasean79 said:

AC/DC is my favorite band{I like the Bon Scott era better}.The classic bands are gone,few remain.

Agreed. Back in Black ranks among my top 5 best albums of all-time.

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WolfgarTheQuiet

@EPICCOMMANDER: Of course Slayer ravages. Thats what its about. Two songs i posted have different feel to each other and very different feel to slayer. Anyways... Heavy Metal \m/ ;)

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@KHAndAnime: Im curious. Where else would you find music? Do you just start looking up random bands, and random songs? All the songs I like i've discovered from radio. Either that or soundtracks from numerous media.

zaowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zaowin
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

No, seriously...hip-hop happened...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

@KHAndAnime: Im curious. Where else would you find music? Do you just start looking up random bands, and random songs? All the songs I like i've discovered from radio. Either that or soundtracks from numerous media.

No...you look up "Best of" lists for the genre you're interested, search them up on Youtube, and go from there...only makes sense to start with the best, right? (These lists won't have music you find on the radio). Popularity and quality have absolutely nothing to do with one another, unfortunately. Typically the radio plays the most accessible (typically most boring and shortest) song from an artist. It's no way to sample music.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
@SexyJazzCat said:

I discovered a lot of my music from video games, like Slayer I discovered from DooM many many moons ago.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

I've disovered a lot of mine through friends really. I would say all my really good friends at least introduced me to one band I didn't know about and I was able to find a lot similar artists to those bands.

Not everyone is a fan of Pandora and Spotify but those helped me a lot as well. If there are any older bands you like then do some digging and see what bands and singers they inspired.

congluci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 congluci
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Good post. I listen rock, pop

http://www.friv2x.org

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Whoo boy, a discussion about what constitutes good rock music and/or "real" rock music. I'm sure this won't be overly pretentious.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Stop paying attention to mainstream outlets....plenty of good music exists. You have the internet...use it.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#42 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

there are still many good rock bands around , but they are just ... not popular .

you should check out Porcupine Tree , Tame Impala , Amesoeurs , Interpol , Pearl jam's new album , Cat power , PJ harvey , The Dead Weather , A Perfect Circle , Queens of the stone age , The Raconteurs and many more ....

Loading Video...