What GameSpot isn't.

#1 Posted by I3ring_it (8 posts) -

Over the past couple of years -- since '09 -- the GameSpot site has been on a slow downhill slide. It's performance decline (bugs, non-responsive pages, etc...) with the changes in the new(ish) looks have been rubbing a large number of veteran visitors to this site off for a while now. Recently, I set out to find another website to satisfy my game related inquiries and, although I will always remember the fun times spent browsing this site, I'm ready to say goodbye.

Personally, I do not like IGN's site, I prefer GameSpot, but I'm growing to dislike GameSpot too. I love the people, but the site is a big disappointment. And let's face it, a large number of people --myself included -- don't come here to socialize, they come here to read about a game, watch screenshots and reviews. GameSpot is making that very difficult, and has been for a while now.

I've been using Polygon.com for a few months now, and I gotta say, that site is looking better than GameSpot and yet it's snappier too. Truly responsive, works great on mobile, and most importantly, it works, and fast! It's not perfect, but it's definitely looking good...

What about everyone else? Are there any suggestions for other top contenders?

#2 Posted by Kevlar101 (6081 posts) -

Well there is GiantBomb.

#3 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28051 posts) -

#4 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -
#5 Posted by darkmark91 (2855 posts) -

Whats your username on the site? I might check it out. I've been thinking about switching, but haven't found a site with the criterias that I liked.

#6 Edited by Glitter (353 posts) -

I won't ever go back to IGN, I have quit that website so many times and the final time I actually requested to have my account deleted, as I was tired of the user base. I feel even more ignored on Giant Bomb, so I will not be going back there again and I dislike how they handle avatars on there, even more so than GameSpot does. I was using Polygon too, but I had my account deleted as it lacks the social aspect that GameSpot has or at least once had; I remember when GameSpot was the only lively message board I knew.

Sadly, all I can recommend is GameFAQs or I could make a message board for everyone here; but no one would use it or be turned off by how it looked.

#7 Edited by playmynutz (5982 posts) -

OT went down hill when Obama became President real talk

#8 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16183 posts) -

i've been frequenting neogaf recently, which is a considerably better forum.

#9 Edited by lamprey263 (23300 posts) -

I tried looking around, but nobody I considered had a lively Systems Wars style forum.

#10 Edited by fueled-system (6259 posts) -

Wish Gamespot would listen to feedback and stop being so prideful.. this is how gamepro fell because they were too stubborn and too prideful to admit they made a mistake. This site loads too slow too much to even bother sometimes a year after the update. I only come here in hopes that the site will be something it once was and occasionally look at the news on offtopic/system was.

I like gamefaqs personally but many people will be turned off by it. I still find the wiiu board hilarious

#11 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -

I can only assume no one is being paid to work on fixing bugs.

#12 Posted by uninspiredcup (7990 posts) -

Disagree. People can't properly express them-selfs and most of the forum is full of people well up their own arses It's a pretentious forum full of smug twats. Don't get me wrong, this forum is full of dickheads, I'm one of them, but at least it's fun. Neogaf is like watching paint dry.

#13 Edited by FelipeInside (25348 posts) -

this forum is full of dickheads, I'm one of them

At least you finally admitted it ;P

#14 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16183 posts) -
#15 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

I still check in here every few days to read some new threads. This site really did go downhill as far as forums and load times are concerned.

#16 Posted by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

When people look for other forums, are they strictly looking for video games based ones? Because I know a few forums that are really good for general topic discussion

#17 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

I tried to register an account at neogaf several times and it always denies me registration because I'm using a free email service. I have to say I'm really befuddled by this. I think I once read somewhere that the site's management does that to counter trolls and whatnot. I'm not sure if that's their intention and if its actually working, but its still just as absurd and unfair.

#18 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150475 posts) -

I can only assume no one is being paid to work on fixing bugs.

I thought they were paid to create them......

#19 Edited by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

I tried to register an account at neogaf several times and it always denies me registration because I'm using a free email service. I have to say I'm really befuddled by this. I think I once read somewhere that the site's management does that to counter trolls and whatnot. I'm not sure if that's their intention and if its actually working, but its still just as absurd and unfair.

So if you have a gmail or yahoo account as your primary email the site won't allow you to sign up?

#20 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

On-topic, as I stated many times before, I really can't make sense of the behavior and the business "strategy" of GS' management. Its like they're deliberately working to bring their own business to its knees. Gamespot is essentially a gaming website, that's all there is to it. Its not like the website is somehow peripheral to the actual business or its just a superfluous or subsidiary accessory/auxiliary to the existing business; the website IS the business. With that said, I truly can't get my head around the fact that GS' staff would allow the website to have such abysmal response time and be plagued with bugs and technical issues, all while chasing visitors and members away whether through shitty ToU, moderations, doing away with essential site's and forums' features...etc.

I no longer expect or want the owners of the site to fix it. Considering for how long we've been imploring and exhorting at times and rebuking and disparaging at others without making much difference, I think by now everyone that has been frequenting this site for some time already knows that its not happening. But what I truly want to know is, why? I have to say its really peculiar and bewildering.

#21 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

So if you have a gmail or yahoo account as your primary email the site won't allow you to sign up?

Nope it won't.

#22 Edited by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Nope it won't.

So the site only has a handful of members then I take it? Doesn't seem like a very hopping joint that I'd want to be a part of.

#23 Edited by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Nope it won't.

So the site only has a handful of members then I take it? Doesn't seem like a very hopping joint that I'd want to be a part of.

Actually I think the forums there look lively and quite populated. They're definitely more active than OT at the very least.

#24 Posted by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Nope it won't.

Actually I think the forums there look lively and quite populated. They're definitely more active than OT at the very least.

Interesting. Well, I'll never know because I only use webmail.

#25 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16183 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Just use your ISP email. It takes a while for your account to be approved, though; I signed up in February and my account was activated just the other day.

I think you also need 500 posts to make a thread, so it definitely weeds out a lot of the spammers and trolls.

#26 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Just use your ISP email. It takes a while for your account to be approved, though; I signed up in February and my account was activated just the other day.

I think you also need 500 posts to make a thread, so it definitely weeds out a lot of the spammers and trolls.

I really don't think I have an ISP email...

#27 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16183 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Do you have a university email, or workplace email?

#28 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I have been a graduate for some time and I'm unemployed so unfortunately no.

#29 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Correct. And even if you use an email they will accept, they will still take forever to okay your account. After I registered, it took almost three weeks before my account was okayed. I have yet to post there, but I registered because this site is complete shit now and I too am looking for another site to replace this useless piece of crap we now have here.

#30 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16183 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@GazaAli said:

Shit, man, then I don't know. I'm not sure the other options, like registering a cheap domain or finding some really obscure email service, would really be worth it for you. I'm surprised it has as much traffic as it does considering all the hoops you have to jump through.

#31 Edited by uninspiredcup (7990 posts) -
#32 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@GazaAli said:

Shit, man, then I don't know. I'm not sure the other options, like registering a cheap domain or finding some really obscure email service, would really be worth it for you. I'm surprised it has as much traffic as it does considering all the hoops you have to jump through.

This same though crossed my mind every time I tried to register at the forums. Apparently its working somehow I don't know.

But when you think about it for a second it really seems absurd and somehow "elitist"; meaning, if you're such an individual that is not in possession of such an email account then you're probably a spam, a troll, a loser or all of the aforementioned and we really don't want you with us lol

#33 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

This is what I know of neogaf and these points are probably all interconnected. Yes its hard to get in however a lot of people in the industry either post there or at least see what is being said there. I follow CliffyB on twitter and he has quite a few times posted links to neogaf. So even if they are not there they are aware of your opinions unlike here.

Also quite a few times rumors that started there turn out to be true, because the person posting them actually has inside info unlike here on GS when an unsourced rumor is just what some fanboy at home wishes or hope is true.

Okay that said not only is it really hard to get in, but they have a pretty much zero tolerance system and you can get booted really quick. If you think normal sites are harsh you will probably find their rules to be outright draconian. However as I have said those policys have led to a community that is actually much closer to those making their games.

#34 Edited by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

This is what I know of neogaf and these points are probably all interconnected. Yes its hard to get in however a lot of people in the industry either post there or at least see what is being said there. I follow CliffyB on twitter and he has quite a few times posted links to neogaf. So even if they are not there they are aware of your opinions unlike here.

Also quite a few times rumors that started there turn out to be true, because the person posting them actually has inside info unlike here on GS when an unsourced rumor is just what some fanboy at home wishes or hope is true.

Okay that said not only is it really hard to get in, but they have a pretty much zero tolerance system and you can get booted really quick. If you think normal sites are harsh you will probably find their rules to be outright draconian. However as I have said those policys have led to a community that is actually much closer to those making their games.

Hmm interesting. I originally had the idea that neogaf is just your everyday gaming forum.

#35 Edited by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

@mattykovax said:

^This. The forums are full of people who genuinely love video games and if you visit the site you will see just how many page views every thread gets. That's because the members make interesting threads and it attracts people who aren't even registered. All the hoops you have to go through are meant to decrease the amount of unwanted trolls, and guess what, it works.

The only thing that prevents me from quitting GameSpot is the community here, even though i wonder about the mental state of most of the members. ;)