What does it take to work for sites such as Gamespot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

I know Gamespot staff members will probably keep there job discussion to themselves so this question is to others who have good knowledge on this. Im basically about to start a University 4 year degree in Computer Science and might minor in journalism and its always been my dream to work for sites such as gamespot and ign (mainly gamespot). In my older account (just made this one like 2 days ago for multiple reasons) i have written tons of reviews and blogs so yes im actually into it and this isnt some typical gamers dream.

How hard do you think it is to work for gamespot as a reviewer/editor/video journalist etc... and what do they look at before making a decision on whether you are qualified or not?? Does academics matter?? cause im not even sure im gonna complete university since i dont seem interested in anything but the gaming industry news.

Thanks!

#2 Edited by deeliman (2422 posts) -

You could just contact gamespot/ign and ask them.

#3 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

@deeliman: its a little bit more complicated than that :P your'e apply for a job, they are going to need your CV first. im not at that stage yet just want some answers for future purposes

#4 Posted by Lone_Wolf_Lance (121 posts) -

I would like to know as well.

#5 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

I don't know if she still works at GS or not, but I remember Bethany Massimilla started out as just a regular forum member, then a prominent moderator, and then was offered an actual paying job as the forum administrator who always had reviewed a number of games. Be warned, though, even if you do get into gaming journalism in some form, the pay is almost as terrible as the job security.

#6 Posted by slipknot0129 (5490 posts) -

Your much better of doing web design.

#7 Posted by Pittfan666 (8532 posts) -

Be like Brad Shoemaker and be terrible at playing video games.

#8 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

You have to have no soul to start with and you kind of need to work your way down from there by the look of things.

#9 Posted by lamprey263 (23495 posts) -

Wikipedia says since GameSpot started it got bought by ZDNET, which got bought out by CNET, which got bought by CBS Interactive... so, just a shot in the dark... http://www.cbsinteractive.com/careers/

oh, and I think I hit it on the head, because in the internship section you can see photos of GameSpot offices from outside the building, and shots of what seems like interns wearing E3 shirts and stuff

#10 Edited by foxhound_fox (88051 posts) -

There is a lot of jokes here. I don't know which would be best.

#11 Posted by edgework (333 posts) -

I'm not a part of the editorial side but I can tell you a few of the things I've heard told to wide-eyed future game journalists.

Be prepared to play lots of games from beginning to end even when they suck for various reasons, then write about them objectively and then get berated publicly for it and have lots of people you've never met hate you publicly with contempt usually held for murderers.

I could never do what those guys do.

#12 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@edgework said:

I'm not a part of the editorial side but I can tell you a few of the things I've heard told to wide-eyed future game journalists.

Be prepared to play lots of games from beginning to end even when they suck for various reasons, then write about them objectively and then get berated publicly for it and have lots of people you've never met hate you publicly with contempt usually held for murderers.

I could never do what those guys do.

"How dare you give my favorite game of all time a measly 8.5! I hope you die a horrible death involving rat traps and bull sharks! I hope your children get abducted by aliens and prefer them as parents! YOU HORRIBLE PERSON I HATE YOU!!"

#13 Posted by GalvatronType_R (1878 posts) -

Why would ANYONE want to work in the game industry, both in writing or development? On both sides, the pay stinks, the benefits stink, you get no work/life balance, you have absolutely no job security, you get no appreciation (especially if you work for a big publisher like EA) and you have people on the internet threaten and stalk you.

If you have decent writing and programming skills, there are much more lucrative and more secure jobs to get.

#14 Posted by airshocker (29358 posts) -

First and most important requirement is you need to be soulless.

#15 Edited by dave123321 (33979 posts) -

A can do attitude

#16 Edited by airshocker (29358 posts) -

A can do attitude

You have some brown stuff on your nose, Dave. Just a heads up. Don't want you walking out in public with that.

#17 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -

These people we call staff are just that, people. People with a drive to do what's best for the people that make GS what it is.

#18 Posted by lonewolf604 (8518 posts) -

Why would ANYONE want to work in the game industry, both in writing or development? On both sides, the pay stinks, the benefits stink, you get no work/life balance, you have absolutely no job security, you get no appreciation (especially if you work for a big publisher like EA) and you have people on the internet threaten and stalk you.

If you have decent writing and programming skills, there are much more lucrative and more secure jobs to get.

On the flip side, I do get jealous of people who get paid to play and review video games. The only hassle I see is writing a review. I hate paragraphs.

#19 Posted by airshocker (29358 posts) -

These people we call staff are just that, people. People with a drive to do what's best for the people that make GS what it is.

Phew, that was funny.

#20 Edited by dave123321 (33979 posts) -

Let me try to actually be helpful. Hold on

#21 Posted by airshocker (29358 posts) -

Lol.

#22 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -

This is taking longer then I thought

#23 Posted by Iszdope (9865 posts) -

^ than.

#24 Edited by dave123321 (33979 posts) -

I gave up

#25 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamespot-wants-you/1100-6396931/

Maybe this has some info

#26 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

@lonewolf604: that's exactly what i think, the payment might "stink" compared to other jobs that a computer science degree will be able to do but getting payed to play games, which i'm guessing we all love since we're on the site right now is a dream job that can make you forget about your bank account

#27 Posted by GalvatronType_R (1878 posts) -

Also, the OP makes too many spelling, grammatical, sentence structure, and syntax errors in his posts to be considered for a writing job.

He may be young so here's a hint: if you make writing mistakes in your CV or writing samples, you have greatly lowered your chances of getting hired in ANY profession.

#28 Edited by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

@GalvatronType_R: lol, im not taking my writing seriously now, we're in a forum not school! that's definitely not the grammar i will be using on my CV :P