What do you think will be Humanity's ultimate fate?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

What do you think will happen to Humanity in the long run?

Do you think it will destroy itself due to (nuclear) war, because of Humans' seeming inability to coexist due to political, religious and/ or racial differences?

Will it eventually transcend Earth and colonize other planets?

Will it perish in billions of years due to the Earth being engulfed by the Sun, which will have expanded into a Red Giant by then?

Please be sure to explain your answer in detail, mentioning how long from now you think your prediction will occur.

#2 Edited by elkoldo (1116 posts) -

I just know this much that these civilized humans already have the potential to start tearing each other apart for the lowest purposes and pleasures.That could happen anytime, but I bet my bottom dollar that it will happen long before the earth is devoured by the sun.

#3 Posted by always_explicit (2893 posts) -

KABOOOOOOM

#4 Posted by comp_atkins (31432 posts) -

as long as a natural calamity does not befall us before we have the capability to do something about it, i think we'll be around for a while.

#5 Posted by moloch999 (125 posts) -

It depends on if we survive the war with the reptoid race.

#6 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16766 posts) -

I think humanity will find some way to survive in the face of any adversity. Humans are adaptable and intelligent (well some are at least). by the time the sun is an actual threat to the planet (planet being swallowed or whatever) I'm sure humans will have found a way to survive, if not necessarily on Earth.

#7 Posted by outworld222 (2426 posts) -

Two words my friend. Time Travel.

#8 Posted by elkoldo (1116 posts) -

@outworld222: You think that'll actually happen?

#9 Posted by Boddicker (2741 posts) -

We built our entire economy on a finite resource.

Eventually a full nuclear exchange will happen and all signs are pointing to it occurring this century.

The distances between stars are so big that unless our closest stars can support life I don't see it happening.

We will probably die on this planet.

#10 Posted by outworld222 (2426 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

@outworld222: You think that'll actually happen?

Very hard to speculate. But my answer: no.

#11 Edited by thehig1 (2037 posts) -

I think we will live on, when the time comes when the earth is hostile to life I believe humans will have colonized other worlds

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (23953 posts) -

this, this, effing this...

#13 Posted by PsychoLemons (2101 posts) -

Grim Dark future.

#14 Edited by Master_Live (14647 posts) -

When the chips are down, this so called civilize people will eat each other.

#15 Posted by bobaban (10560 posts) -

I will have evolved to a being of light and will watch humanity destroy itself

#16 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

I think a meteor will eventually hit and destroy this planet in the distant future or be engulfed by the sun. By then I'm sure humanity will most likely have colonized other planets but I think it will basically be another Titanic when the Earth is approaching annihilation. The most wealthy and important people will be able to leave first while most of the poor and less fortunate will be left to suffer because there will most likely be a shortage of space ships due to overpopulation. Then about a century later they'll make a movie about it.

#17 Posted by platinumking320 (666 posts) -

According to George Carlin "The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas"

#18 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12988 posts) -

Colonizing planets is too hard. We'll eventually (IMO) settle for life on space stations the size of large cities. There are more natural resources out there than there are down here.

I'm not sure we'll ever leave the solar system, though...not unless we can develop recycling of biological and material necessities with 100% efficiency. Interstellar space is pretty barren.

#19 Edited by evildead6789 (7743 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

What do you think will happen to Humanity in the long run?

Do you think it will destroy itself due to (nuclear) war, because of Humans' seeming inability to coexist due to political, religious and/ or racial differences?

Will it eventually transcend Earth and colonize other planets?

Will it perish in billions of years due to the Earth being engulfed by the Sun, which will have expanded into a Red Giant by then?

Please be sure to explain your answer in detail, mentioning how long from now you think your prediction will occur.

People will live on but we will be modified genetically before we leave our dying star either by evolution or by technology or both. Since we're now already in space, I doubt we won't have the means to leave the planet. I'm 100 percent certain we will live immensely long too. Heck , it won't be too long before we have divine powers.

People can destroy each other but not all of them, there's too many and we breed too easily. People also want to be happy and the lot don't want to kill each other.

The biggest challenge will be morals and ethics in all of this, because with great power comes great responsibility. But killing everyone, I doubt it , the will to survive is too big and the world is too big and in the future the space will even be bigger with space travel.

Can't think of anything that would happen that human species wouldn't survive. Maybe the cold freeze when the universe dies out, but that's not even sure that will happen and evidence has just been found that parrallel universes do exist.

Aliens could exterminate us, the ones that made us maybe (if that's true lol)

#20 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12988 posts) -
@evildead6789 said:

but it's just been proven that parrallel universes do exist.

No.

#21 Posted by evildead6789 (7743 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@evildead6789 said:

but it's just been proven that parrallel universes do exist.

No.

yes, well it's actually because the big bang is proven it also proves that parrallel universes exists. It's very recent this month the discovery has been made and in the scientific world it's big, very big

https://medium.com/p/25c5d719187b

#22 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12988 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

yes, well it's actually because the big bang is proven it also proves that parrallel universes exists. It's very recent this month the discovery has been made and in the scientific world it's big, very big

I know about the Big Bang echo announcement, that has nothing to do with parallel dimensions. The echo denotes the aftermath, not the cause.

#23 Edited by evildead6789 (7743 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

I know about the Big Bang echo announcement, that has nothing to do with parallel dimensions. The echo denotes the aftermath, not the cause.

The way the big bang has happened, there will also be others that have happened this way. Quantum physics baby

#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (8659 posts) -

I think unless we find some form of jumping from one place to another (think event Horizon) it would just take far too long to reach other planets.

Personally, I think the universe is probably full of vastly superior life interacting and contacting with each other. Since we aren't even a grain of sand on a beach and in the grand scheme of things, have barely existed, contact from them probably wont happen.

Fuck knows. I'll be dead, who cares.

#25 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12988 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

The way the big bang has happened, there will also be others that have happened this way. Quantum physics baby

Dude, I actually DO quantum physics. You have no idea what you're talking about. Everything about the cause of the big bang is speculation, as no evidence exists of what the state of things were before inflation.

#26 Posted by outworld222 (2426 posts) -

It will probably go to the year 3000, then some unexpected event happens and nobody has a solution to it, then you hopefully pray for the best possible outcome.

#27 Posted by evildead6789 (7743 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

Dude, I actually DO quantum physics. You have no idea what you're talking about. Everything about the cause of the big bang is speculation, as no evidence exists of what the state of things were before inflation.

You don't do quantum physics lol. The whole commotion is that the big bang theory was proven.

#28 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12988 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

You don't do quantum physics lol. The whole commotion is that the big bang theory was proven.

I've been doing quantum physics for 20 years now. And proving the big bang =/= parallel universes.

#29 Posted by evildead6789 (7743 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@evildead6789 said:

I've been doing quantum physics for 20 years now. And proving the big bang =/= parallel universes.

congratulations