What do you think of Superman?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DynamiteRoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DynamiteRoll
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

Now that the TDKR hype is dwindling, the next DC movie we've got to look forward to is Man of Steel. I find it kind of sad, though, that not a lot of people seem to care. A lot of people I know are of the opinion "Forget Superman!" or "Why are they wasting time on a Superman movie? Give us more Batman!"

And in general, it seems there is a lot of anti-superman sentiment in the non-comic-reading public. Common detractions are "he's too powerful" or "he's boring".

I was wondering what OT thought of Superman.

I personally used to think he was a boring character that was too powerful, but then I started reading some of his stories, and found him to be quite interesting. In all honestly, Batman is an overpowered character. His only weakness is his human limitation. For everything else there's a bat-gadget or super plan. But people still write interesting stories about him, despite the fact that in VS threads with Batman he could beat everyone in the universe with at least one week's worth of prep time. In the same manner, Superman can be an equally interesting character even though every villain could theoretically be physically thrown into the phantom zone fast than they could blink. Because often times Superman's dilemma's aren't that simple, just like Batman's dilemma's aren't as simple as "track down villain, throw them into Arkham".

What do you think, OT?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
I plan on seeing Man of Steel when it's released.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

My problem with him is exactly what you brought up. I find him way too powerful. Having every super power you can think of is boring and I find the standard appearance of him (yes I know there are variants) also extremely boring. Not a Supes fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

He's the most boring superhero by far.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts

Huge Superman Fan...so looking forward to the movie...most people don't have a good grasp of his character or his transformation through the years.... If you are a superhero fan in general I Highly recommend reading this book.. :) http://www.amazon.com/Superman-High-Flying-Americas-Enduring-ebook/dp/B005NKGG50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345471977&sr=8-3&keywords=superman+kindle

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

airshocker
I might pick Aquaman for that title.....
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

A traitor to free democratic peoples. I'd rank him just above Obama and Abraham Lincoln in the list of most disgusting human beings.
tumblr_m4b1csYP6b1qeu0r1o1_500.jpg
tumblr_l45xvgIJu51qag7gu.jpg

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

LJS9502_basic

I might pick Aquaman for that title.....

No, he's the lamest. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I might pick Aquaman for that title.....LJS9502_basic

Maybe, but Superman definitely ranks pretty high in the sh*t category.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I might pick Aquaman for that title.....airshocker

Careful. Superman fans are the most defensive in the comic world. :P

bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
been there done that... There are hundreds of superheros and vilians in the Marvel/Dc universe...but they keep putting out these stale overexposed charaters. With DC comics I want to see more females like Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Super Girl, Vixen, Crimson Avenger, Jade, Sapphire, Nightshade, Wonder twins, and perhaps other male characters like Nightwing, Plastic man , Aquaman, As far as Marvel comics.......Apocolypse, Silver Surfer, Deadpool, She-Hulk, The Hood, Black Panther, Havok, Spawn, etc.. there are just too many to list for both labels. I'm tired of the same ol Spiderman,superman,x-man, ironman,batman remakes. Instead of Superman I would rather have Shazam/Captain Marvel. I doubt I'll go to see Superman. I didn't even want to see the last DarkKnight but only did it because Bain was in it. I'm glad there will be no more batman movies (hopefully).
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Overrated.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

its not that he's boring its just his has no personaliy, I never once interested in the guy. I'm a big superhero fan and i've never seen a superman movie.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pirate700

its not that he's boring its just his has no personaliy, I never once interested in the guy. I'm a big superhero fan and i've never seen a superman movie.

Chris_Williams

So in otherwords, he's boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

He's incredibly boring honestly. And his reasons for trying to live a normal life are stupid. Other heroes have god reasons cos their powers are limited but Superman can do almost anything and the only way they showed danger against him was creating some lame enemies that just "can't be killed"

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I'd pick Batman over any DC hero. It's the whole Gadget/Stealth/Badass that makes him cool. Superman has none of those. It's kinda like when you use Godmode on in a game and it's fun at first, but becomes boring rather quickly. And the only way to die/get stuck by flinching, is to fall in a pit, kryptonite for Godmode.
Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
I like him because he's gifted. He doesn't need to train, unlike Batman.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Thor > Superman. That said, I'll be watching the new movie.
Tweetie-Pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tweetie-Pot
Member since 2010 • 1040 Posts

Chris_Williams
how is it that superman has no personality but batman does?
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Tweetie-Pot

i'm not getting into debates about fictional characters, i just think superman acts likes a robot and doesn't separate himself from other super heroes and he's only big because he was the first and original super hero.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#22 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

My problem with him is exactly what you brought up. I find him way too powerful. Having every super power you can think of is boring and I find the standard appearance of him (yes I know there are variants) also extremely boring. Not a Supes fan.

Pirate700
Tweetie-Pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tweetie-Pot
[QUOTE="Tweetie-Pot"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Chris_Williams

i'm not getting into debates about fictional characters, i just think superman acts likes a robot and doesn't separate himself from other super heroes and he's only big because he was the first and original super hero.

if being a good person = having no personality or being a robot, then stop the world, i want to get off.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Now that the TDKR hype is dwindling, the next DC movie we've got to look forward to is Man of Steel. I find it kind of sad, though, that not a lot of people seem to care. A lot of people I know are of the opinion "Forget Superman!" or "Why are they wasting time on a Superman movie? Give us more Batman!"

And in general, it seems there is a lot of anti-superman sentiment in the non-comic-reading public. Common detractions are "he's too powerful" or "he's boring".

I was wondering what OT thought of Superman.

I personally used to think he was a boring character that was too powerful, but then I started reading some of his stories, and found him to be quite interesting. In all honestly, Batman is an overpowered character. His only weakness is his human limitation. For everything else there's a bat-gadget or super plan. But people still write interesting stories about him, despite the fact that in VS threads with Batman he could beat everyone in the universe with at least one week's worth of prep time. In the same manner, Superman can be an equally interesting character even though every villain could theoretically be physically thrown into the phantom zone fast than they could blink. Because often times Superman's dilemma's aren't that simple, just like Batman's dilemma's aren't as simple as "track down villain, throw them into Arkham".

What do you think, OT?

DynamiteRoll

The reason Superman may seem boring is because he is already the strongest superhero in the DC universe. So, rather than he facing challenges and growing as a character, his enemies do like Lex Luthor. However, Superman is a great character. Writers know about his strengths and weaknesses and have made other characters based on them such as Metallo and Parasite. On the other hand, Batman has to struggle with most of his enemies and fans witness him grow each time. One character in particular puts Batman in a similar position to Superman in which a villain actually grows more than the hero is the Joker. As he said himself, the Joker causes mass mayhem simply to act as a yin to Batman, with him being the yang. In a situation like that, the villain can only grow as a character. Batman is often forced to act as a simple controller which is different from the other supervillains he faces. Overall, both Superman and Batman have their positive traits which make them interesting and writers have the responsibility to readers and viewers to show them. When they do a good job, these traits become obvious.

Christopher Nolan's portrayal of Batman was intriguing and strictly realistic. For example, Ras Al Ghul was not immortal or anything like that. I am interested in Man of Steel and hope to see Darksied. He is someone who Superman must grow for a chance of victory or at least struggle against in order to defeat.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Tweetie-Pot"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Tweetie-Pot"] how is it that superman has no personality but batman does?

if being a good person = having no personality or being a robot, then stop the world, i want to get off.

.... where did i say because he's a good person that means he's boring? Don't put your own words into what I wrote. The guy is a saint but he has no personality, sorry but you'll get over it.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Tweetie-Pot"] how is it that superman has no personality but batman does?Tweetie-Pot

How did you come to that conclusion?

Tweetie-Pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tweetie-Pot
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Tweetie-Pot"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] i'm not getting into debates about fictional characters, i just think superman acts likes a robot and doesn't separate himself from other super heroes and he's only big because he was the first and original super hero.

.... where did i say because he's a good person that means he's boring? Don't put your own words into what I wrote. The guy is a saint but he has no personality, sorry but you'll get over it.

that's exactly what i mean. being good IS a personality.
Tweetie-Pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tweetie-Pot

[QUOTE="Tweetie-Pot"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] i'm not getting into debates about fictional characters, i just think superman acts likes a robot and doesn't separate himself from other super heroes and he's only big because he was the first and original super hero. Pirate700

How did you come to that conclusion?

i didn't. that conclusion came to me.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I plan on seeing Man of Steel when it's released.LJS9502_basic
Same.
BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
Superman is a sorry excuse for a superhero.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Superman is a sorry excuse for a superhero. BatCrazedJoker
Yet Superman II is the best superhero film there is.
BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
[QUOTE="BatCrazedJoker"]Superman is a sorry excuse for a superhero. MrPraline

It's the best comedic superhero movie, none of the Superman movies are that entertaining.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pirate700

[QUOTE="BatCrazedJoker"]Superman is a sorry excuse for a superhero. MrPraline

If this is true, I need to see it. :P

rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

i don't really get the "he's too overpowered" criticism; dc has done a great job in recent years of presenting overwhelming challenges for superman, while also developing his personality (at least in the comics).

that said, i'm not too sure about the upcoming movie; i really like snyder's style (his movies actually look like you think a comic-book movie would), yet the acting and other inconsistencies in his films (watchmen, for example) bothers me. i'll still be seeing it though

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I find Superman to be extremely boring. His costume looks stupid too.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts
[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="BatCrazedJoker"]Superman is a sorry excuse for a superhero. BatCrazedJoker

It's the best comedic superhero movie, none of the Superman movies are that entertaining.

The funny thing was, it was never meant to have comedy elements in it. After the producers fired Richard Donner during filming, they hired another director to finish filming, who then added some of the sillier aspects to the movie.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

The Man of Steel can't get himself a decent videogame.

All of the superman games are so, so sucky. :(

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

[QUOTE="BatCrazedJoker"][QUOTE="MrPraline"] Yet Superman II is the best superhero film there is.Hallenbeck77

The funny thing was, it was never meant to have comedy elements in it. After the producers fired Richard Donner during filming, they hired another director to finish filming, who then added some of the sillier aspects to the movie.

lol, yeah, that film thing that supes ripped off his chest logo and threw at the other guy.

anyway on topic i'm not much of a fan.

i get that it is just fantasy and all but the ability to pull any power you need out of your ass whenever you need it kind of blows the entire character for me.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

He's super.

No, I really love Superman.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Nude_Dude

Gawd i had the superman movie game..Wasnt half bad what they did with the game but the game in itself was boring..Couldve been great..

Half these people bashing superman will go see the movie if its done well..If its a great movie im hopeful it will be..Just dont give me lex luthor again..Man hes done over played to death..Give me some thing new..I dont ever want to see lex in the trilogy if there is one lol..

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

[QUOTE="Nude_Dude"]

Gladestone1

Gawd i had the superman movie game..Wasnt half bad what they did with the game but the game in itself was boring..Couldve been great..

Half these people bashing superman will go see the movie if its done well..If its a great movie im hopeful it will be..Just dont give me lex luthor again..Man hes done over played to death..Give me some thing new..I dont ever want to see lex in the trilogy if there is one lol..

I think in the upcoming film, the mail villian is supposed to be General Zod, so there is that. But I hear you, Luthor has been done to death.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#42 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

[QUOTE="Nude_Dude"]

Hallenbeck77

I think in the upcoming film, the mail villian is supposed to be General Zod, so there is that. But I hear you, Luthor has been done to death.

damn that Lewthor!
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#43 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

[QUOTE="Nude_Dude"]

Hallenbeck77

To be honest, I was hoping for a different villain since General Zod was in the original Superman movies. As I said before, Darksied would have been a good choice. Brainiac is a good villain, as well.
Tweetie-Pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Tweetie-Pot
Brainiac needs a large build-up. So does darkseid
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I might pick Aquaman for that title.....Pirate700

Careful. Superman fans are the most defensive in the comic world. :P

No. Batman.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Superman is bullsh*t, I bet everytime Marvel made a new character with a new power, the dudes at DC were like, oh yeah Superman has that too.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I think he's OP but like him more than Batman. The Batman movies are better produced I think, partly because there's not over the top animation with laserbeams coming out of eyeballs and flying into outer space. Batman is more relatable.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chris_Williams
I think he's OP but like him more than Batman. The Batman movies are better produced I think, partly because there's not over the top animation with laserbeams coming out of eyeballs and flying into outer space. Batman is more relatable. Ghost_702
I can do that stuff
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Not a fan. Though I read 'Red Son' after people here talked about it and thought it was pretty damn awesome.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

I would recommend to all the people who don't like Superman to read "Red Son" and "Kingdom Come", the best stories ever written featuring Superman. It won't be enough to change your minds, but they're still some of the best tales DC has to offer. Maybe toss "All-Star Superman" and "Justice" in there as well.