What do you think about this...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

...video's message? Do you agree or disagree with it?

Summary:

Blacks are given the false impression that they can make it in American Society by the few, anomalous successful Blacks whom the media presents as the models of Black success. However, as almost all of these "role models" are entertainers (e.g. singers, actors, athletes, etc), an underlying message to ignore education is hidden in the false impression. Compounding this is the oppressive rule of some Whites (those in power, such as police officers, judges, teachers, company managers, etc) which prevents those Blacks who do attempt to become successful through education and hard work from achieving their goal.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm not watching an 11 minute video. Summarize it or go away.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

@airshocker said:

Fine. I will write a summary. Give me a few minutes.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@emil_fontz: So much for a few minutes...

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

What about the millions of middle class (and higher) working blacks in America? Nobody can control who african americans consider role models except themselves.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Despite the color of my skin, I consider myself successful. It's not my fault some people idealize criminals and shun people who respect authority. In fact, the reality that somebody in my position could be called an Uncle Tom for being successful is what the real problem is, not the fact that "whitey" is holding black men back. Do the right thing and you won't have to worry about the police bothering you in most cases. There might be a few racist men in authority but they are the minority.

Look at Rick Ross (the rapper, not the drug trafficker). People liked him when they thought he sold drugs but when people found out he was a prison guard many of his fans turned on him and even other rappers started calling him Officer Ricky as an insult. He knew some of his fans wouldn't support him if they knew his real origins, so he had good reason to lie. Several rappers feel that a criminal background will increase their sales and clean backgrounds make them undesirable to fans.

Also, consider some of the most successful black celebrities that do have an educational background. Denzel Washington is a college graduate with no criminal record. Samuel L. Jackson is a college graduate and although he does have a criminal background (go to his Wiki page to read about it) he has been out of trouble longer than most of us have been alive. Not all black role models are uneducated men who are constantly in trouble.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

Despite the color of my skin, I consider myself successful. It's not my fault some people idealize criminals and shun people who respect authority. In fact, the reality that somebody in my position could be called an Uncle Tom for being successful is what the real problem is, not the fact that "whitey" is holding black men back. Do the right thing and you won't have to worry about the police bothering you in most cases. There might be a few racist men in authority but they are the minority.

Look at Rick Ross (the rapper, not the drug trafficker). People liked him when they thought he sold drugs but when people found out he was a prison guard many of his fans turned on him and even other rappers started calling him Officer Ricky as an insult. He knew some of his fans wouldn't support him if they knew his real origins, so he had good reason to lie. Several rappers feel that a criminal background will increase their sales and clean backgrounds make them undesirable to fans.

Also, consider some of the most successful black celebrities that do have an educational background. Denzel Washington is a college graduate with no criminal record. Samuel L. Jackson is a college graduate and although he does have a criminal background (go to his Wiki page to read about it) he has been out of trouble longer than most of us have been alive. Not all black role models are uneducated men who are constantly in trouble.

Charles Barkley, a retired NBA All-Star and Olympic-level athlete had something to say similar to your comment.

Loading Video...

There are adversities that many face due to racially-motivated actions such as Caucasian on African American and any other race spreading hatred and attempting to impose superiority complexes. Those mentalities should not persist in this day and age. However, equally important for African Americans getting out of poverty is a strong foundation. Condemning school and the current established system altogether, joining gangs, and doing drugs is not it. I believe that those negative lifestyles are examples of criticism without constructive feedback whereas people believe there is no chance at success and so they live to fail. It is a real shame because if more if would simply apply themselves in positive ways, America would be totally different without question.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

@airshocker said:

:'D