What do you shave with?

• 101 results
Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) 4 months, 3 days ago

Poll: What do you shave with? (45 votes)

Disposable razor 13%
Cartridge razor 20%
Double edge safety razor 20%
Straight razor 2%
I don't shave, I groom. it's beard trimmers for me. 16%
Shave...trim...what are these things you speak of? My beard is free to grow however it wants. 13%
Other (please specify) 16%

Since I managed to derail a thread about beards into a conversation about shaving methods (sorry @indzman!) I decided to start my own thread)

So what type of razor do you use to shave? Also, what other things do you use? Do you grab a bar of soap, rub it on your face and get shaving or do you have 10 products for the pre-shave and another 10 for after shave? What's your routine?

I shave every day after the shower. For almost 20 years I've used cartridge razors (Mach 3 mostly, Fusion for about a year) but the results were never great, so a couple months ago I decided to switch to safety razors (got me an Edwin Jagger de89) and I couldn't be happier with my "baby bottom smooth" shave. It actually turned shaving from something of a nightmare into my personal enjoyable "me time" every morning.

I shave with the grain, then sideways (both directions) and finally against the grain for the perfect smoothness (my face couldn't stand doing it before I tried the safety razor).

I'm thinking about going all out in the pampering and get me a fancy badger fur brush, nice scented lather for shaving and a fancy aftershave as well (right now I'm still going through my old supplies of shaving gel and crappy aftershave).

Any other safety razor fans out there? (I know there's at least one more here...@AmazonTreeBoa)

#1 Edited by InEMplease (6342 posts) -

I smash my face against a tree. This is also how I manscape.

I kid of course. I find the electric razor followed by the disposable razor to be good at reducing resistance while providing a close, consistent shave. Hair removal cream can be substituted for the electric razor.

#2 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@InEMplease: That's a good point...I completely forgot that it's not always an "either or" situation. I've met a few people who don't only use 1 kind, but most people I know who do that use a beard trimmer with no attachment and then do another pass with an electrical shaver...you're the first one I've met that goes electrical and non-electrical. How smooth is the end result? (also, semi disappointed that you don't use the tree at all...)

#3 Posted by johnd13 (8218 posts) -

I use an electric shaver/razor to groom. I like my facial hair so I just trim it every now and then which serves my laziness pretty well.

#4 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28120 posts) -

#5 Edited by Qixote (10730 posts) -

Just this week I switched from disposable to DE (an Edwin Jagger). Still getting used to it. It's not getting me a shave any closer than the disposables did. Hopefully once I practice with the DE more then it will give me better results. The thing with DE shavers is that it seems the actual shaver you buy is not nearly as important as the blades you choose for it.

#6 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2736 posts) -

I don't shave

#7 Posted by InEMplease (6342 posts) -

@korvus: Pretty smooth using the chin as the judge. I shave every other day so the cheap electric thing I use is good at reducing the stubble to a minimum before the cheap razor has no problem cutting through, even against the grain.

#8 Posted by halffullcup (65 posts) -

I don't shave because I don't have a single hair on my face.But I do trim my my other beard.:)

#9 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@Qixote said:

Just this week I switched from disposable to DE (an Edwin Jagger). Still getting used to it. It's not getting me a shave any closer than the disposables did. Hopefully once I practice with the DE more then it will give me better results. The thing with DE shavers is that it seems the actual shaver you buy is not nearly as important as the blades you choose for it.

You're right on the money there =) The razor is important but for the smooth finish what's really important is to find the blades that fit you best. Also, it's normal not to get perfect results with a DE straight away, because a lot of it hangs on shaving with the correct angle, too flat and it won't cut, too steep and you're going to slash yourself...it takes a while to get the perfect angle, especially if you're used to cartridge, where you don't need to worry with angles

@InEMplease: Funny how different things work so well for different people (yesterday I was talking to a guy who says safety razors have a crappy finish and that cartridges are amazing, which is the total opposite of my experience). Does it take you a lot of extra time to use both?

#10 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Just going to copy/paste my post from the other thread.

Good to see I am not the only safety razor user on the site. I switched back in January and am so happy I did.

I got the Merker 180 (Also known as the Merker 23c).

I am testing blades and I also have some Astra blade. I also bought a 100 pack of Personna blades and like them more than the Astra. I plan on buying some Feather blades next to try.

What soaps do you use? I am also trying different soaps and so far I have

Colonel Conk Glycerin Soap - Variety 4 Pack (Amber, Bay Rum, Lime, and Almond)

Proraso New Shaving Soap Pot Sandalwood

Proraso Shaving Soap, Eucalyptus & Menthol

Out of those, I have only used the Almond Colonel Conk and the Green Proraso soap. The green Proraso soap is absolutely fantastic. I love the smell, how well and easy it lathers, but most of all, I love the feel of it on my face and how it leaves my face feeling after the shave. The Almond smells really great, but I have only used it once, so I can't really judge how well it lathers yet. The Bay Rum also smells great, but I have yet to use it.

My girl also uses it. I am aiming to get her the Muhle R89 Rosegold razor and get me an Above the Tie razor.

Anyways, it is great to see somebody else on the site that shaves the same way I do.

EDIT: I will add that I have now also tried the Bay Rum Colonel Conk soap and got a better lather this time vs the almond (which smells AWESOME), so I am learning this brand. It is easy for me to get a great lather with the Proraso soap, but I have also been using it exclusively for months before getting these new soaps within the last few weeks.

EDIT 2: I plan on getting me a straight razor in the future and learn how to use that as well.

EDIT 3: I have a badger brush.

#11 Posted by InEMplease (6342 posts) -

@korvus: The pre-shave electric trim should take about 5 minutes extra, but makes the shave a much more pleasant experience than without. If you go for the hair removal cream option, it's about an extra 10 minutes but really provides the least resistance during the shave. This is against the grain of course, for that silky smooth skin. Don't forget to apply a small amount of lotion afterward to reduce bumps.

#12 Posted by ferrari2001 (16967 posts) -

Pretty much like that, although I do trim with an electric trimmer usually once every week or 2.

#13 Edited by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@ferrari2001: That made me laugh XD

#14 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Qixote said:

Oh no, the razor is just as important. Maybe even more important. The razors have different angles that the blade is held at for different shaves. Some have a way more aggressive angle and will eat into your flesh way easier than what you are using. Use a Muhle R41 and tell me if you feel the same way. What you have (and what I have) are great mild shaves for beginners. The one I just listed would more than likely make a beginner switch right back to cartridge shaving because he/she would eat up their flesh. There are also open comb safety razors and slang safety razors. I am considering getting an open comb for my next razor, but not sure yet. Also, the same blades will not give you the same shave in every razor. No I would put all my focus into the razor, then go from there with a sample pack to see which blade works best for you in that razor you picked.

#15 Edited by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Qixote said:

Oh no, the razor is just as important. Maybe even more important. The razors have different angles that the blade is held at for different shaves. Some have a way more aggressive angel and will eat into your flesh way easier than what you are using. Use a Muhle R41 and tell me if you feel the same way. What you have (and what I have) are great mild shaves for beginners. The one I just listed would more than likely make a beginner switch right back to cartridge shaving because he/she would eat up their flesh. There are also open comb safety razors and slang safety razors. I am considering getting an open comb for my next razor, but not sure yet. Also, the same blades will not give you the same shave in every razor. No I would put all my focus into the razor, then go from there with a sample pack to see which blade works best for you in that razor you picked.

Qixote, listen to the man...he's way more experienced than me in DE's ;)

#16 Edited by EasyComeEasyGo (585 posts) -

Voted: Cartridge razor.

I only use Gillette Fusions and boy, they are the best Razor I use in my life but back then, I hated the Electric Razors when I was in High School and they give me bumps on my face and I switch to Gillette 2 blades [blue] for years until they came out with Fusions and they work sooo much better but let me tell you, those things are Expensive as Hell!

#17 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Pretty much like that, although I do trim with an electric trimmer usually once every week or 2.

No, this is how a man shaves.

#18 Edited by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@EasyComeEasyGo: Well, technically that's not a disposable razor, it's a cartridge razor =)

This is a disposable razor.

I was going to put an image of each because some people name them differently, but then the post would be kinda huge...

#19 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

Voted: Disposable razor.

I only use Gillette Fusions and boy, they are the best Razor I use in my life but back then, I hated the Electric Razors when I was in High School and they give me bumps on my face and I switch to Gillette 2 blades [blue] for years until they came out with Fusions and they work sooo much better but let me tell you, those things are Expensive as Hell!

But that isn't a disposable, that is cartridge.

#20 Edited by EasyComeEasyGo (585 posts) -

@korvus said:

@EasyComeEasyGo: Well, technically that's not a disposable razor, it's a cartridge razor =)

This is a disposable razor.

I was going to put an image of each because some people name them differently, but then the post would be kinda huge...

OOPS lol. Fixed.

#21 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@EasyComeEasyGo: ah, no worries =D Thanks for the feedback.

@AmazonTreeBoa: Stone razors, got to try those. But he says that was a 4 day beard? My 4 day beard is thicker than that stubble he has on his chin =P

#22 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@korvus said:

@EasyComeEasyGo: ah, no worries =D Thanks for the feedback.

@AmazonTreeBoa: Stone razors, got to try those. But he says that was a 4 day beard? My 4 day beard is thicker than that stubble he has on his chin =P

Not so sure I have the guts to try that myself, but the video is pretty awesome. Maybe once I have a straight razor and can use it as well as I do my safety razor, I will feel different and actually want to try that next.

#23 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: Yeah, that's true, but I would like to try a straight razor eventually.

#24 Edited by indzman (18074 posts) -

#25 Posted by Qixote (10730 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Qixote said:

Oh no, the razor is just as important. Maybe even more important. The razors have different angles that the blade is held at for different shaves. Some have a way more aggressive angle and will eat into your flesh way easier than what you are using. Use a Muhle R41 and tell me if you feel the same way.

Are you saying the Muhle is adjustable for angle? The Edwin Jagger I use is not adjustable at all, nor are most others that I researched. Not sure what you are saying about razors having different angles. The ones I looked at, the blades all set perpendicular to the handle. All angling requires manual maneuvering during the shave, which is where the practice is required. Maybe I missed your point somewhere . ..?

#26 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Qixote said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Qixote said:

Oh no, the razor is just as important. Maybe even more important. The razors have different angles that the blade is held at for different shaves. Some have a way more aggressive angle and will eat into your flesh way easier than what you are using. Use a Muhle R41 and tell me if you feel the same way.

Are you saying the Muhle is adjustable for angle? The Edwin Jagger I use is not adjustable at all, nor are most others that I researched. Not sure what you are saying about razors having different angles. The ones I looked at, the blades all set perpendicular to the handle. All angling requires manual maneuvering during the shave, which is where the practice is required. Maybe I missed your point somewhere . ..?

No, I am saying the angle that the Muhle R41 holds the blade at is a way more aggressive angle than the razor you have now. Meaning you can cut your face way easier than at the angle that your current razor holds the blade at. Although they do have adjustable razors like what you mentioned. Here are two off the top of my head for you to look at if that interest you.

This one comes with different finishes including gold plating.

This one is cheaper and from my understanding, easier for shaving under the nose vs the one listed above.

#27 Posted by Qixote (10730 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Qixote said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Qixote said:

No, I am saying the angle that the R4Muhle1 holds the blade at is a way more aggressive angle than the razor you have now. Meaning you can cut your face way easier than at the angle that your current razor holds the blade at. Although they do have adjustable razors like what you mentioned. Here are two off the top of my head for you to look at if that interest you.

This comes with different finishes including gold plating.

This one is cheaper and from my understanding, easier for shaving under the nose vs the one listed above.

Sorry, I still don't get what you are saying. The models mentioned do not hold the blades at any angle. They are all the same. Are you referring to the angle of the contour of the head over the blade? Now that I could understand.

#28 Posted by jimy1475 (1168 posts) -

i use electric shaver, its from Philips

#29 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Qixote:

Okay let me try to explain this way.

Take your blade and lay it on your razor and put it all together. Notice how the head of the razor pushes the blade and makes it bend at an "angle"? Well different razors push that bend to different angles. The Muhle R41 doesn't push the blade as much as the razor you have, so it doesn't bend it as much, which in turn leaves the blade sitting out more and folded less, which makes it way easier to cut your face. That is an aggressive shave. I am not talking about the angle that you hold your razor to your face. I am talking about the angle that the head holds the blade at. A mild shaver like what you and I have will bend the blade more so it sits against the razor more and is a milder shave.

If you don't understand me this time, I am at a loss for words and have no clue how to explain it so that you will understand what it is that I am trying to say. Those two adjustables razors I listed can change the angle of the blade to give you a different shave. I hope you understand me now.

#31 Edited by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Qixote:

Take your blade and lay it on your razor and put it all together. Notice how the head of the razor pushes the blade and makes it bend at an "angle"? Well different razors push that bend to different angles. The Muhle R41 doesn't push the blade as much as the razor you have, so it doesn't bend it as much, which in turn leaves the blade sitting out more and folded less, which makes it way easier to cut your face. That is an aggressive shave. I am not talking about the angle that you hold your razor to your face. I am talking about the angle that the head holds the blade at. A mild shaver like what you and I have will bend the blade more so it sits against the razor more and is a milder shave.

If you don't understand me this time, I am at a loss for words and have no clue how to explain it so that you will understand what it is that I am trying to say. Those two adjustables razors I listed can change the angle of the blade to give you a different shave. I hope you understand me now.

This might help getting the point across.

#32 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1533 posts) -

I let it be.

#33 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@Gamerno6666: For how long have you been letting it grow and how long is it now? Can you dust the floor with it yet?

#34 Posted by mimic-Denmark (4377 posts) -

Electric Shaver. I love things that vibrate..

#35 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1533 posts) -

@korvus said:

@Gamerno6666: For how long have you been letting it grow and how long is it now? Can you dust the floor with it yet?

4 years and no. Its more like the wolverine beard, its not growing anymore. :(

#36 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@Gamerno6666: Seems like you'd want it to. Planning on using it for storage or something? ;)

#37 Posted by Master_Live (14806 posts) -

I use an electric razor to rim down before using about 5 generic disposable razors.

#38 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@Master_Live: Sounds expensive...5 razors? How long between shaves?

#39 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@korvus said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Qixote:

This might help getting the point across.

I hope he understands what I was saying because that is something that is actually pretty important to think about when buying a razor. I feel sorry for anybody that bought something like a Muhle R41 as their first safety razor.

#40 Posted by yokofox33 (29879 posts) -

I never fully shave. I always use a beard trimmer to either touch up my beard or trim it shorter. Even then I might only do that once a week.

#41 Posted by Master_Live (14806 posts) -

@korvus said:

@Master_Live: Sounds expensive...5 razors? How long between shaves?

Like 3 to 4 weeks.

#42 Posted by spaceninja818 (424 posts) -

Gillette Fusion.

#43 Posted by ominous_titan (728 posts) -

Since I'm the boss at work i instituted a no facial hair policy ,I use Mach 3 and Wilkerson shave soap with a real hair applicator brush. Need to find a better razor but I live in Timbuktu and we don't have many stores it's not gonna happen soon

#44 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

Flare Razors/Straight Razors ftw!

#45 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23597 posts) -

I attach multiple jagged-edged razor blades to a fan and turn it to its max speed setting. You'll never receive a closer shave than that.

#46 Posted by Korvus (3892 posts) -

@Ackad: Hardcore, nice =D

@crimsonbrute: Nice...sometimes I nick my skin when shaving...I'm assuming sometimes you nick the bone =P

#47 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

I use a electric shaver.

#48 Edited by BranKetra (48742 posts) -

Disposable razors. I may eventually use a straight razor.

@crimsonbrute: The perfect blade for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlrDXtw

#49 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@BranKetra: Now that's a funny ass video.

#50 Edited by alim298 (1469 posts) -