What do you feel after seeing this? (Are we really alone?)

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

So yea... what do feel when watching this pic?

Do you really understand it?

British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts

Reminds me a bit of this pic (one of my favorites):

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 V3rciS

@British_Azimio: This is an awesome pic... sometimes I just can't help it but feel so unimportant and small.

Our mind can't even comprehend those sizes and distances. Do people still really think we're alone?

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 V3rciS

An interesting article (opinion) on this...

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/content/are-we-alone-universe

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

It's so huge out there.. it's unlimited.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I hope they find out more interesting stuff regarding space during my lifetime.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Honestly seeing images like those two in the first two post, you would have to be a fool (or religious) to think we are alone.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yes.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

is this topic about Mass Effect 4?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Of course we are not alone.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#12 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Last I checked, I was the only conscious being.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Last I checked, I was the only conscious being.

I disagree, it is /me/ : )

////////

"Alone" is a relative term.

I won't argue against other forms of life, yet within our own trials, we are up to ourselves for impact.

The distances are too vast for any real confirmation. I wonder what the equation is: the future vs my-own.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Pictures like this make me strongly doubt that WE - I mean human beings, the earth and the life - are unique.

So if you're asking, "Do you feel unique after seeing this ?" I'd say definitely not.

But if you're asking "Do feel lonely after seeing this? " I'd say a mentally ill, depressed man, always feels alone, regardless of how many billions of entities there are around him.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

We're pretty insignificant, that's for sure. But significant in our own little world.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

'are we alone'

Probability says no.

I also like this little animation. http://htwins.net/scale2/

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

It's pretty much a given that there's alien life forms out there in the form of bacteria or other simple organisms, but are there other sentient beings out there? The universe is still relatively young, so it's not impossible that we are the first sentient beings.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 V3rciS

@Celldrax said:

'are we alone'

Probability says no.

Ye this is crazy... an awesome link, thank you for sharing!

PS: kudos for Jeff Loomis signature!

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@Celldrax said:

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

pretty obvious to me we are probably the atoms that make up another universe.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Looks like I've got a lot of traveling to do before I die.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Until they come a-knocking, yes we are.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

you guys should check out some videos from the Coast to Coast website, which is actually a radio program nation wide that comes on at 12 AM and they talk about weird and mysterious happenings.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Anyone who believes that Earth is the only place with life is delusional. I mean it's just impossible with the amount of planets and stars out there that we are the only one with life on it, I mean we still don't even know how many different species live here on Earth. No, it's just impossible that there isn't more life out there, however if said life is more or less as advanced as Humanity is obviously impossible to say.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I believe that planets are like eggs. That solar systems are like incubation chambers of life. Some eggs are infertile. Even fertile planets may never come across the right conditions to be 'impregnated.' If you look at Mars, it appears like it could hold or at least could have held life at one point, but never had met the right conditions like Earth has.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

i had a crazy thought once that the universe was god's brain.

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

Yeah...no I don't think so but I hope we are left alone instead. :P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Effectively, yes. There may be more than seven billion people on the planet, but you're effectively alone if you're trapped in a septic tank and there's no one there to pull you out while you spend the rest of the week dying in a pool of filth and shit.

Not being alone sort of implies some sort of contact. Go to the park and there might be a hundred people there. But if no one knows you and they ignore your ass and you fail to make any meaningful contact with any of them, then for all practival purposes you are there alone.

So...that currently seems to be the case with regards to the cosmos. Saying "we're not alone because aliens probably exist" is sort of like someone in Peru in 1500 saying "I'm not alone because there's probably someone in Beijing." Whether they exist or not, it's so freaking unlikely that you're ever going to have contact. So you're still EFFECTIVELY alone.

That's sort of the funny thing about these kinds of posts. People make this big point about how the grand scale of the universe means that there must be someone else out there. Okay, fine. But by invoking such a huge scale, you've just guaranteed that we're almost certainly never gonna have any contact with them. So we're still kind of alone, even if they are out there. And at that point, does it even MATTER if they exist, if the grand scale of the universe ensures that we'll never get to meet them? The logic used to "prove" that they exist also does a very god job of demonstrating that yes, we probably fucking ARE alone.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing that I was lucky enough to have existed and have the capacity to appreciate the vastness of our universe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
Loading Video...

We certainly aren't anything special.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

I'm sure very few people(well people who actually think beyond their religion(brain wash)) today actually think we are alone, and are on the only planet with intelligent life, let alone life in general.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer

@deeliman said:

It's pretty much a given that there's alien life forms out there in the form of bacteria or other simple organisms, but are there other sentient beings out there? The universe is still relatively young, so it's not impossible that we are the first sentient beings.

I have a problem with this too.

I mean...we've never found definitive proof of ANY extraterrestrial life, yet people find the sheer scale of the universe sufficient to state that there must be other life in the universe.

Okay, fine. I'll go with that.

But if you're willing to go that far, why stop there? The whole argument for "there must be SOME life out there" rests on the notion that the universe is so big that if it happened once then it must have happened multiple times. That's really the whole argument. And people apply that to "life", but then stop short of applyijg it to "sentient life"? Well...WHY? Isn't that kind of weird?

We know that SENTIENT life occured here on Earth. We have PROOF that it happened at least once. So...isn't it just equally absurd to think that Earth is the only planet with SENTIENT life and that all of the other life-bearing planets out there are populated by slime and mold and bacteria? Isn't that still placing us as being SPECIAL when the entire scale of the cosmos says that we probably are not? If sentient life can exist (as seen on Earth), then why the f*** would Earth be the only planet in the entire cosmos that has yet been able to produce sentient life? That's simply a more modern version of saying that humans were created in god's image, or that the universe revolves around Earth. That's still making us out to be fucking special, when the whole argument rests on the idea that the uiniverse is so freaking big that you'd be an asshole to think your situation is unique. If we can use the sale of the universe to invoke the fact thst life must exist elsewhere, then why stop there? Doesn't that same scale sort of mean that SENTIENT life almost certainly occurred elsewhere as well? Hell...there are probably a shitload of alien civilizations that are UNIMAGINABLY more advanced than us. It's jsut that we don't f***ing know it because the universe is too big for us t ever have contact with them.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@deeliman said:

I mean...we've never found definitive proof of ANY extraterrestrial life, yet people find the sheer scale of the universe sufficient to state that there must be other life in the universe.

But if you're willing to go that far, why stop there? The whole argument for "there must be SOME life out there" rests on the notion that the universe is so big that if it happened once then it must have happened multiple times. That's really the whole argument. And people apply that to "life", but then stop short of applyijg it to "sentient life"? Well...WHY? Isn't that kind of weird?

We know that SENTIENT life occured here on Earth. We have PROOF that it happened at least once. So...isn't it just equally absurd to think that Earth is the only planet with SENTIENT life and that all of the other life-bearing planets out there are populated by slime and mold and bacteria? Isn't that still placing us as being SPECIAL when the entire scale of the cosmos says that we probably are not? If sentient life can exist (as seen on Earth), then why the f*** would Earth be the only planet in the entire cosmos that has yet been able to produce sentient life? That's simply a more modern version of saying that humans were created in god's image, or that the universe revolves around Earth. That's still making us out to be fucking special, when the whole argument rests on the idea that the uiniverse is so freaking big that you'd be an asshole to think your situation is unique. If we can use the sale of the universe to invoke the fact thst life must exist elsewhere, then why stop there? Doesn't that same scale sort of mean that SENTIENT life almost certainly occurred elsewhere as well? Hell...there are probably a shitload of alien civilizations that are UNIMAGINABLY more advanced than us. It's jsut that we don't f***ing know it because the universe is too big for us t ever have contact with them.

Breathe

:p

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

That small speck. Yeah....I fought someone over that once. And won. I know I know I'm a total badass.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

There are many hundreds of billions of civilizations in the universe and anyone who says otherwise is clearly an idiot.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 V3rciS

@MrGeezer said:

@deeliman said:

Why are you so certain we're not gonna have contact with them? I mean sure it won't happen tomorrow or in 10 years but how can you be sure it won't happen in 100, 500, fucking 1000 years from now?

First of all I think you'll agree with me that we're just at the start of technological 'boom evolution'. In the last 60-70 years we've achieved more than humanity could do for 500-1000 years. That's a huge leap, and we've just started. We just now trying to understand and decode DNA, our Brain... true Artificial Intelligence is still years away but eventually it will happen and the quest for it just begun. Some say that by 2025-2035 we'll have our first colonies on Mars. Internet... that's our global network and we just started experiencing it 20 years ago, today no one can imagine life without internet. Advancements in medicine health care fields like prosthetic limbs or laboratory grown organs. Even Transhumanism... and the list goes on and on... but whole point is that our technological advancement is rapid and it will only continue developing. So why shouldn't I believe that eventually we'll discover SOMETHING, SOMEHOW that can help us making interstellar travels and even colonize other planets, and why not even getting in contact with some of those civilizations? For some of them we might look like gods (them being undeveloped yet), while for some others we might look like parasites.

Watch this guy... Michio Kaku... if you don't know him, he's a futurologist and theoretical physicist. In this video he explains his theory about types of civilization that could possibly occur in the universe.

PS: Sorry if you're struggling to understand my text, I'm not native english speaker.

Loading Video...
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

We all know the potential for the existence of other civilizations are very high. I would like to see some indicators at least. So far I've seen none and I'm saying that as an astronomy nut.

I felt the same way about black holes a long time ago. I knew they may exist theoretically. But, until I saw photos of indicators like Centaurus A, there's always going to be a degree of skepticism from me.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

got another one

l-lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By l-lord
Member since 2009 • 853 Posts
@4myAmuzumament said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

i had a crazy thought once that the universe was god's brain.

I am quit sure that the universe is a cell in some organism.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

amazes me how they can see all this specially different galaxies

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#44 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49564 Posts

There is a high probability that we are not alone.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 V3rciS

@k2theswiss said:

First of all we can see only a fraction of the universe.
We have better equipments now... but still most of those galaxies that we can see is simply radiation. For example all those beautiful colorful nebulae that you might have seen on pictures are simply radiation and the different colors they have is because of different radiation types.

Dude universe is huge, and now they're talking about multiverse and the string theory. It makes me mad when I realize how little we know... we are totally and literally ignorant about most of it.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@V3rciS said:

@k2theswiss said:

First of all we can see only a fraction of the universe.

We have better equipments now... but still most of those galaxies that we can see is simply radiation. For example all those beautiful colorful nebulae that you might have seen on pictures are simply radiation and the different colors they have is because of different radiation types.

Dude universe is huge, and now they're talking about multiverse and the string theory. It makes me mad when I realize how little we know... we are totally and literally ignorant about most of it.

welll thank you for explaining that.

I agree that we hardly know anything. Hopefully not too much longer we be able to build some hyper drives or something

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

@V3rciS said:

It makes me mad when I realize how little we know

It makes you mad, but the fact that we know so little actually pushes me to want to try my best to find out more, and I am so glad we know so little(well I wish we knew a little more to help people that can't be helped currently) because the means there is so much to discover. To tell you the truth if we knew everything, or almost everything I'm not sure I would even want to live in that world(universe whatever). I'm not sure I could find much meaning to live on.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrGeezer

@V3rciS said:

Why are you so certain we're not gonna have contact with them? I mean sure it won't happen tomorrow or in 10 years but how can you be sure it won't happen in 100, 500, fucking 1000 years from now?

First of all I think you'll agree with me that we're just at the start of technological 'boom evolution'. In the last 60-70 years we've achieved more than humanity could do for 500-1000 years. That's a huge leap, and we've just started. We just now trying to understand and decode DNA, our Brain... true Artificial Intelligence is still years away but eventually it will happen and the quest for it just begun. Some say that by 2025-2035 we'll have our first colonies on Mars. Internet... that's our global network and we just started experiencing it 20 years ago, today no one can imagine life without internet. Advancements in medicine health care fields like prosthetic limbs or laboratory grown organs. Even Transhumanism... and the list goes on and on... but whole point is that our technological advancement is rapid and it will only continue developing. So why shouldn't I believe that eventually we'll discover SOMETHING, SOMEHOW that can help us making interstellar travels and even colonize other planets, and why not even getting in contact with some of those civilizations? For some of them we might look like gods (them being undeveloped yet), while for some others we might look like parasites.

Watch this guy... Michio Kaku... if you don't know him, he's a futurologist and theoretical physicist. In this video he explains his theory about types of civilization that could possibly occur in the universe.

PS: Sorry if you're struggling to understand my text, I'm not native english speaker.

Loading Video...

Light speed barrier, dude. As far as we know, NOTHING can travel faster than light, and light only travels at about 186,000 miles per second. When you consider how absolutely freaking HUGE the universe is, this means that it takes the fastest thing in the universe a LONG ass time to get to even relatively close locations.

So...unless there are civilizations out there which have found a way to travel faster than light, we're PROBABLY effectively freaking alone in the universe.

And sure...I'm not CERTAIN of this. MAYBE it's possible to travel faster than light. There have been hypothetical proposals which MIGHT allow for bypassing the light speed barrier, such as wormholes. But I'd like to point out that none of this stuff has even been established to be physically POSSIBLE. Establish that it is possible within the realm of physics to travels faster than light (either through space or by bypassing space), and then I'll entertain the idea. Until then, I'm confident (although not CERTAIN) that we are effectively alone. I feel it's a pretty safe assumption that any civilization, no matter how advanced, must obey the laws of physics. And until physics have established that it's possible to travel faster than light, then that places a BIG limit on how far away any civilizations can be while still having an effect on us. They'd have to already live EXTREMELY close to us (in cosmic terms), and once we come to that conclusion it is very plausible that they aren't in existence at all. Because even if there are billions of intelligent civilizations in the universe, we're talking about THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE. That doesn't invalidate the very real possibility that the LOCAL area is entirely dead except for us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#49  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Celldrax said:

'are we alone'

Probability says no.

This is one of my favourite animations; always makes me feel really small, but not insignificant =) Kind of mind blowing =D

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

We can't find life on Mars because the people there are tiny