What books should I look for If I want to expand my experience?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Recently I discovered we have a real library, with books like the secret, Da vinci code and other modern western books. I love reading and I always wanted to read some western books. I Don't know many writers and books so I dont know what to look for.

Im looking for something unique, a book to fall in love with. Im not looking for the lord of the rings or harry potter books, Im looking for fantasy-like novels, with great scenario and weird settings. It does not have to be fantasy, it can be about real life, but in a twisted and complicated way. any suggestions? and oh no love stories please.

Afrojitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Afrojitsu
Member since 2010 • 185 Posts

I don't really get what you're asking for, but these are my favorite books-

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Shogun by James Clavell

King Rat by James Clavell

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts

I don't read much but I highly recommend you to read this:

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
you know these novels like when the novel is not talking about fantasy, but it produce a sense of it by the way the scenario progresses and the characters interact.
warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 warownslife
Member since 2010 • 5289 Posts

Drizzit. Find any book were the main character is called drizzit.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Best novel I've read in the past few years (and I read a lot).
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke but I'm not so sure I could ever pick for you a book you'd fall in love with. This is something you have to discover on your own. I recommend reading something based on browsing. Browse, select something, read it. I think maybe, if you find something you really enjoy, then maybe it'll mean so much more to you than having somebody else suggest it. but that's just how my mind works.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GazaAli
[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke but I'm not so sure I could ever pick for you a book you'd fall in love with. This is something you have to discover on your own. I recommend reading something based on browsing. Browse, select something, read it. I think maybe, if you find something you really enjoy, then maybe it'll mean so much more to you than having somebody else suggest it. but that's just how my mind works.

Wow Im such an idiot, I never thought of this, excuse me for not knowing this, but its my first time. It makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for all of your suggestions guys, Im reading reviews now.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
You gotta read these: 1984 by George Orwell Animal Farm by George Orwell
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke but I'm not so sure I could ever pick for you a book you'd fall in love with. This is something you have to discover on your own. I recommend reading something based on browsing. Browse, select something, read it. I think maybe, if you find something you really enjoy, then maybe it'll mean so much more to you than having somebody else suggest it. but that's just how my mind works.

I agree with this. The process of discovery while reading is amazing. I'm constantly reading new writers - some I end up loving, some not so much. But it's like going on a little adventure, and when I find a book that I love it was totally worth it.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]You gotta read these: 1984 by George Orwell Animal Farm by George Orwell

Did you ever read The Kite Runner.
Isbrealiompie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Isbrealiompie
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
American Psycho is the weirdest book I've ever read. Still now after a year of reading it, I can't decide whether the book is a masterpiece of its own kind or completely loathsome. I'm currently tackling the Holy Qur'an. Definitely a good book to read if you want to expand your horizon.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli
[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]American Psycho is the weirdest book I've ever read. Still now after a year of reading it, I can't decide whether the book is a masterpiece of its own kind or completely loathsome. I'm currently tackling the Holy Qur'an. Definitely a good book to read if you want to expand your horizon.

hmm a rather interesting choice I have to say. Try and tell me what you think of it after reading it, Im kind of interested.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GazaAli

The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway

Isbrealiompie
the old man and the sea was great. I actually found an old copy in my moms collection and I read it.
reggy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 reggy72
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts

Ian M Banks Culture novels are most probably the best mind bending science fiction out there, trust me on this but once you've read "The Player of Games" and either"excession" the scope and narrative power of these works of art is so humbling that it honestly does make this ball of rock we call Earth seem so insignificant, utterly amazing.

Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts
Frank Herbert's Dune.
Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
Something from Shakespeare.
nZiFFLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nZiFFLe
Member since 2009 • 1481 Posts

Siren of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut is a good one; has some sci-fi/weird/humorous elements. Actually, anything by Kurt Vonnegut is a good choice.

Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts

Behold the pinnacle of American literature...

...but seriously I really liked the green mile by stephen king. It is a bit of a fantasy in the real world type of book. My favorite book of all time is Lord of the Flies (fyi it has nothing to do with lord of the rings) Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 are both good too.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A Salvatore.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f1dda6571ed7
deactivated-5f1dda6571ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#23 deactivated-5f1dda6571ed7
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts
to kill a mocking bird is pretty descent
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

If you like the Da Vinci code (which I actually never read myself, but I pretty much know what it's about) you might like Foucault's Pendulum. Some people seem to be put off by how wordy it is, though. (It was not originally written in English, but you'd never be able to tell that from reading it. The guy who wrote the translation did a hell of a job.)

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
I nominate Oryx & Crake. Kind of sci-fi ish, but not too much. More like a setting that's 50-70 years down the road or something, about a few real folks regarding a very twisted scenario. It's probably my favourite book, and will hopefully go down as a classic in Western fiction(or at least as much as Atwood's other novel, The Handmaid's Tale). I realy don't know what to say without giving anything away. It's a great book, pick it up if you can. :)
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Almost anything written by Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov (I'm a big fan of the 'Foundation' series), or George Orwell.

If you want something that can really rock your world, read some Erich Von Daniken.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

I don't read much but I highly recommend you to read this:

MrEnvelope

Coming from someone who usually likes Dystopian society books, this was a terrible read.

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts

You gotta read these: 1984 by George Orwell Animal Farm by George OrwellMeinhard1

Those are actually two of my favorites. More classic than Lord of the Rings if you ask me.

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts

Haha

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
American Psycho is the weirdest book I've ever read. Still now after a year of reading it, I can't decide whether the book is a masterpiece of its own kind or completely loathsome. I'm currently tackling the Holy Qur'an. Definitely a good book to read if you want to expand your horizon.RK-Mara
Heh, I just finished reading that. My summary: God is awesome. Good stuff happens when you follow God, bad stuff happens when you don't - examples provided. Jesus isn't God's son, angels aren't God's daughters. Pagan Arabs are douchebags. And there you have it, the tl;dr version of the Qur'an.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

you know these novels like when the novel is not talking about fantasy, but it produce a sense of it by the way the scenario progresses and the characters interact.GazaAli

Try"The Dark Tower" by Stephen King...i got a good kick out of it.

The first book in the series is called The Gunslinger. Research it a bit and see if it's your cup of tea:)

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
my usual suggestion fits surprisingly well here: read some kafka. he tends to use real world settings, but youd never mistake his approach for naturalism.
TheAbbeFaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheAbbeFaria
Member since 2009 • 294 Posts

I recommend the Count of Monte Cristo Unabridged and the Three Musketeers.

R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts

My favorite book of all time is The Brothers Karamazov and Brave New World. The Brothers Karamazov is very long, I think 1000 pages+ it was, but what a great book it is. It explores all the moral and spiritual tribulations of life. Brave New World is another great book that's much shorter and will likely become dear to your heart as well.