What beer should I try?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 1Rob-E (114 posts) -

When i drink on the weekends i usually just take shots or have mixed drinks, but i've recently decided to try drinking beer more frequently than shots? (had a few bad experiences with shots lol) ... I've had beer before and thought it was just awful. I know its an acquired taste so what beer should i start off with?

#2 Posted by LeBump (88 posts) -
Non-Alcoholic.
#4 Posted by jimkabrhel (15419 posts) -

If you think beer is awful, there isn't much I could suggest to change that. You could pick something completely inoffensive, like Bug Light, which is essentially beer water.

I would suggest a local craft beer of some kind, preferably a wheat beer, which can often be mild. Stay away from most pale ales and IPAs, they'll be too strong for you.

#5 Posted by BenedictArnold7 (701 posts) -
Blue Moon. Samuel Adams Blackberry and Wheat Berry. I like those. Try it.
#6 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

I'd say to try some lagers before you move on to ales.  Beer is a very rewarding alcoholic beverage.  It is the most easily to control beverage without getting too drunk too quick.  Try out some German lagers or heffe weisse ( wheat beer) like weihenstephan or franziskaner.

#7 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
Blue Moon. Samuel Adams Blackberry and Wheat Berry. I like those. Try it. BenedictArnold7
I can't argue with any of these choices. Although if you don't drink beer it's going to take a while to acquire a taste for it no matter what you drink.
#8 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
Trappist beers or Weinstephaner are pretty much the best beer, if you can get your hands on them.
#9 Posted by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is a great beer, for the most part, for a macro-brew. I was astounded the first time I tried it about half a decade ago. It's a step up from the Budweiser, Miller and Coors crap...along with many of the mass-important European crap such as Heineken.
#10 Posted by mAArdman (1612 posts) -

colt 45 malt liquor

#11 Posted by strategyfn (334 posts) -

Kokanne is my favorite beer that I've tried.

#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
sam adams boston lager would be a good choice. it won't be as hoppy as an ale, it's easy to find in most places, and it's a pretty good beer too. you could try blue moon for the same reasons.
#13 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

new castle it's nice sweet beer. DO NOT i repeat. DO NOT drink crap like Budweiser, miller bud light. it is garbage and is nasty. They have lot s of ads and sell lots because they are cheap beer doesn't mean they are good

you should see if there is a beer outlet store or a big grocery store that sells beers by the bottle/can. at these stores they can for about a buck So it's nice to sample stuff without dropping couple bucks at a bar or buying  whole pack

#14 Posted by Darthmatt (8966 posts) -

sam adams wee heavy :)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/56400

But, sorry I can't be more specific. The beer I prefer is from my home state, Michigan. Founders, Bell's, Arbor brewing, **** Saugatuck brewing...etc. I have two half gallon jugs that I fill up at a local brewery too.

#15 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
new castle it's nice sweet beer. DO NOT i repeat. DO NOT drink crap like Budweiser, miller bud light. it is garbage and is nasty. They have lot s of ads and sell lots because they are cheap beer doesn't mean they are goodk2theswiss
Don't be too hard on cheap beer. I drink a lot of it and it's all right if you develop a taste for it.
#16 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -
Coopers Pale Ale Has to be on tap though
#17 Posted by -Karmum- (3771 posts) -
Dogfish 90 Minute IPA. I know it's 9 percent, but it really doesn't taste like it.
#18 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -
Dogfish 90 Minute IPA. I know it's 9 percent, but it really doesn't taste like it.-Karmum-
9%? Fvck That would hurrrttttt
#19 Posted by mattbbpl (10636 posts) -
I have a habit trying new beers wherever I go. Craft beers are almost a good choice. Some of the favorites that I've had recently were Dragon's Milk and some kind of really dark coffee stout that had frothed sugared cream in it. There was also a really good one from the Flossmoor brewery that was brewed in charred oak barrels that had previously been used to age Jack Daniels whiskey.

Anyway, the point is that my recommendation is to be adventurous.
#20 Posted by -Karmum- (3771 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Karmum-"]Dogfish 90 Minute IPA. I know it's 9 percent, but it really doesn't taste like it.chaoscougar1

Really? It's amazing, I've bought it from work a few times and I've loved it each time. Granted, a 4-pack is like $10 and change with a 10 percent discount, but it's so good. It's pretty much 8 beers at an amazing quality. Doesn't taste like 9 percent at all, trust me. I don't even consider myself a heavyweight, but they're pretty easy to down, but you definitely feel it. Also, sweet gifs. It's hard to not look at them when typing.
#21 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

Apple Orchard was pretty good. I'd also suggest Samuel Adams. As other posters have stated, stay away from Budweiser.

#22 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="-Karmum-"]Dogfish 90 Minute IPA. I know it's 9 percent, but it really doesn't taste like it.-Karmum-

Really? It's amazing, I've bought it from work a few times and I've loved it each time. Granted, a 4-pack is like $10 and change with a 10 percent discount, but it's so good. It's pretty much 8 beers at an amazing quality. Doesn't taste like 9 percent at all, trust me. I don't even consider myself a heavyweight, but they're pretty easy to down, but you definitely feel it.

Also, sweet gifs. It's hard to not look at them when typing.

Thats what I meant when I said hurrrrttt :3

#23 Posted by -Karmum- (3771 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Karmum-"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] 9%? Fvck That would hurrrtttttchaoscougar1

Really? It's amazing, I've bought it from work a few times and I've loved it each time. Granted, a 4-pack is like $10 and change with a 10 percent discount, but it's so good. It's pretty much 8 beers at an amazing quality. Doesn't taste like 9 percent at all, trust me. I don't even consider myself a heavyweight, but they're pretty easy to down, but you definitely feel it.

Also, sweet gifs. It's hard to not look at them when typing.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, definitely packs a punch. I plan on trying to put down two four packs eventually, perhaps even grabbing a whole case (not to put down at once, obviously). A whole case is like $60 or something though. I personally have a hard time drinking specific beer "just to get drunk," such as light beer or the standard beer everyone drinks. I guess I unfortunately have a tongue that likes somewhat expensive beer. :P

I'll admit though, if I'm drinking a beer to just get drunk (since I like to think of Dogfish as a beer to drink to enjoy...but also to unwind), Bud Light Platnium is unfortunately a very good one...

#24 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="-Karmum-"] Really? It's amazing, I've bought it from work a few times and I've loved it each time. Granted, a 4-pack is like $10 and change with a 10 percent discount, but it's so good. It's pretty much 8 beers at an amazing quality. Doesn't taste like 9 percent at all, trust me. I don't even consider myself a heavyweight, but they're pretty easy to down, but you definitely feel it.

Also, sweet gifs. It's hard to not look at them when typing.-Karmum-

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, definitely packs a punch. I plan on trying to put down two four packs eventually, perhaps even grabbing a whole case (not to put down at once, obviously). A whole case is like $60 or something though.

They would be like 3 standard drinks a bottle yeah?
#25 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Beer to me has always tasted bad. There's plenty of nice tasting drinks that have the same effect, so I stick with those.

#26 Posted by megagene (23009 posts) -
Start with Guinness. Doesn't get much better than that.
#27 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -
Start with Guinness. Doesn't get much better than that. megagene
D:
#28 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

colt 45 malt liquor

mAArdman
Lol, that is seriously some of the worst tasting beer I have ever had. Cheap nagger ****
#29 Posted by -Karmum- (3771 posts) -

They would be like 3 standard drinks a bottle yeah?chaoscougar1
An average beer is around 4 - 5 percent in abv, so it's really only two beers (same sized bottle), and in a four pack it'd be eight beers. Multiply that by two it's about sixteen standard beers or just two four packs.

Mm, Guinness. Unfortunately, or as of the last time I had Guinness, I actually prefer their Black Lager over the Stout or Draught.

Feels a bit weird to give recommendations and to be talking about this, since I'm not really a big beer or alcohol drinker and also since I'm technically underage. But oh the joys of working at a liquor store.

#30 Posted by AussieePet (11424 posts) -

Duff_Beer_in_Pisa,_Italy.jpg

the best beer around 

#31 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]They would be like 3 standard drinks a bottle yeah?-Karmum-

An average beer is around 4 - 5 percent in abv, so it's really only two beers (same sized bottle), and in a four pack it'd be eight beers. Multiply that by two it's about sixteen standard beers or just two four packs.

I know A beer is not a standard drink (Depending on the size) A stubby (Or schooner) of beer is generally between 1.2-1.5 standard drinks

#32 Posted by gamah_killah (13020 posts) -

The best.

#33 Posted by -Karmum- (3771 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Karmum-"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]They would be like 3 standard drinks a bottle yeah?chaoscougar1

I know A beer is not a standard drink (Depending on the size) A stubby (Or schooner) of beer is generally between 1.2-1.5 standard drinks

Oh, I see. I probably should have just stated that "standard sized bottle" was my lingo for 12 oz. I'm pretty sure it's 12 oz, anyway. Another good (surprisingly) that is also happens to be incredibly cheap is Pabst. I figured so many people bought it cause it was so damn cheap, an 18-pack runs about $12.99 at the store I work...but it's actually decent. Certainly not great, but I've had much, much worse beers that cost more.

#34 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
I'm having myself some Fat Tire Amber Ale and it is delightful.
#35 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
Chimay. Drinking it right now. Almost in a class of its own. Ale like, but as smooth as Guinness. $10 a pop, but worth it if you want grade A beer.
#36 Posted by SilentFireX (1951 posts) -
Shiner Bock ftw.
#37 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

Blue Moon, Yuengling, Heineken, Dos Equis, Sam Adams and Sweetwater all good.

#38 Posted by Nuck81 (5856 posts) -
Amber Bock was the first beer back in the day, that I actually enjoyed
#39 Posted by XaosII (16592 posts) -

Sam Adams and Blue Moon are decent for beers you can typically find in most places. I like Weihenstephaner which is a Belgian white beer. Very smooth and tasty. I also like Magic Hat Circus Boy. Its a Hefeweizen which is an unfiltered beer. Its got a strong, hops flavor but mixed with fruit.

#40 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

Sam Adams and Blue Moon are decent for beers you can typically find in most places. I like Weihenstephaner which is a Belgian white beer. Very smooth and tasty. I also like Magic Hat Circus Boy. Its a Hefeweizen which is an unfiltered beer. Its got a strong, hops flavor but mixed with fruit.

XaosII
Weinstephaner is German :P Chimay is Belgian, which is even more expensive.
#41 Posted by konvikt_17 (22235 posts) -

could try a Four Loko. come in different flavors, i prefer Fruit Punch. 12% alchohol in 23.5OZ cans. one should do you just fine. plus they are cheap as fuck

#42 Posted by XaosII (16592 posts) -

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

lo_Pine

Weinstephaner is German :P Chimay is Belgian, which is even more expensive.

Oh yeah. Oops. I think i was thinking about Hoegaarden. Thats another good one too.

#43 Posted by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -

It gets much better. No offense meant at all, but it's pretty much the Budweiser of Stouts.

#44 Posted by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -

could try a Four Loko. come in different flavors, i prefer Fruit Punch. 12% alchohol in 23.5OZ cans. one should do you just fine. plus they are cheap as ****

konvikt_17

If anything, I can thank 4loco for keeping me sober for 45 days after smashing my head into a bicycle chain then not long after collapsing on one of the busiest roads in my town, blood oozing all over the place. Left me with a permanent scar.

#45 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

[QUOTE="megagene"]Start with Guinness. Doesn't get much better than that. British_Azimio

It gets much better. No offense meant at all, but it's pretty much the Budweiser of Stouts.

Agreed, imperial stouts like Stone Russian Imperial stout, Dogfish World Wide Stout, Dogfish Chicory Stout, etc are all spectacular.
#46 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

could try a Four Loko. come in different flavors, i prefer Fruit Punch. 12% alchohol in 23.5OZ cans. one should do you just fine. plus they are cheap as ****

British_Azimio

If anything, I can thank 4loco for keeping me sober for 45 days after smashing my head into a bicycle chain then not long after collapsing on one of the busiest roads in my town, blood oozing all over the place. Left me with a permanent scar.

There's a reason why they made energy supplements mixed with alcohol illegal in some places. Four Loko will get you FVCKED UP if that's what you're looking for. I equate it with a funny blunt. Coke and bud in a blunt. You just want to socialize in a psychotic nature. Go for it if that's what you want.
#47 Posted by konvikt_17 (22235 posts) -

[QUOTE="British_Azimio"]

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

lo_Pine

There's a reason why they made energy supplements mixed with alcohol illegal in some places. Four Loko will get you FVCKED UP if that's what you're looking for. I equate it with a funny blunt. Coke and bud in a blunt. You just want to socialize in a psychotic nature. Go for it if that's what you want.

Drink responsibly:P

from what ive read, they have since toned down the amount of caffeine and such in Four Lokos. they used to be a hell of a lot worse.

#48 Posted by hippiesanta (9865 posts) -
 The pride of Queensland
#49 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -
Coors light goes down like water
#50 Posted by ScreamDream (3953 posts) -

Sam Adams. It's as good as any beer you can't pronounce or never heard of that has high ratings.