What are your opinions on the Avatar trailer or preview if you saw it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 OXM-Madman
Member since 2006 • 174 Posts

Hey guys, since nobody else on GameSpot has posted an thread about the film Avatar I figured I would post one.

And by the way, this is NOT the Avatar director by M. Night and based on that kids show. This is the Avatar that has been in the making for 14 years and is being directed by James Cameron.

You can watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF2nH4Z9sc

In my opinion the trailer was very meh. The story looked interesting and the set pieces impressive, but because of how hyped up about how amazing the CGI was I expected it to be life-like and in fact it's just very very good.

However....

I was one of the few people in the UK able to see the preview for it. You can see my review of the preview here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd7j-3yH_cU

So, what did YOU guys think of it? Amazing as Cameron promiced? Did it totally disappoint you? Or did you just think it was average?

megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 megamadman5
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts
well, your not the first to make a thread about it first off, but to me it looked kinda dumd. i thought it was a disney movie at first. the blue people are really cheesy looking
OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OXM-Madman
That's exactly what I thought. I didn't exactly think they are cheesy, but they just looked wrong. But the way the 3D and CGI combine...It's unbelieveable. It IS as amazing as those who saw the footage as Comic-Con say it is.
megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 megamadman5
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts
[QUOTE="OXM-Madman"]That's exactly what I thought. I didn't exactly think they are cheesy, but they just looked wrong. But the way the 3D and CGI combine...It's unbelieveable. It IS as amazing as those who saw the footage as Comic-Con say it is.

ya i did like the environments alot, like the floating islands or whatever, but the people were weird
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

I think it looks cool.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

That's been in production for fourteen years? That?!

I'd expect nothing short of godly from a trailer of a movie that's been hyped to death and in production for fourteen years. The trailer was just meh.

Avatar image for DarkCulex_basic
DarkCulex_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkCulex_basic
Member since 2002 • 38 Posts

I've only seen the trailer, but I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I was expecting too much I guess. The movement of the cg aliens just looks wrong/off. It's so weird how one can generally be fooled by cg dinosaurs (Jurassic Park) and robots (Transformers) but bring in anything resembling people and they just stick out like a sore thumb.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

That's been in production for fourteen years? That?!

I'd expect nothing short of godly from a trailer of a movie that's been hyped to death and in production for fourteen years. The trailer was just meh.

I think the movie was conceived fourteen years ago. Actual development on the movie only started four years ago. Or so Youtube said. The story sounds very cliche and not at all interesting, though the effects are beautiful. As soon as the guy turned blue, the trailer just spiralled...
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I think it looks alright, but I have a feeling it won't even be Sci-Fi movie of the year (hell, it may have trouble getting in the top 3). And with a budget estimated at $300 million, I think it is going to be a colossal failure at the box office.
OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OXM-Madman

Actually, $250 million, and the film will probably not be a failure at all. The preview screenings for the film sold out in the US in less than two days, and there were 100 cinemas avalible with each one having 1 screen avalible with 2 showings, and everybody who saw the screenings calling the film a masterpiece. That would mean that if roughly everyone who saw the preview in all of these 100 cinemas baught a 3D movie ticket the film would get about $1,200,000 in the box office.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. That would be for ONE screen in each cinema, and there are 18,000 screens in the US ALONE. Also the preview screenings included the US only. You do the math.

And as I said, the cinema experiance is VASTLY different to watching the trailer at home. As for me I'm seeing it first day, the preview was enough proof for me that the film will be the second ciming of cinema.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
There were plenty of threads on this movie, I really don't have much of an opinion um, the CGI is nice?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
looks interesting. I'll go and see it.
nacholibre92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nacholibre92
Member since 2006 • 1648 Posts

When me and my brother-in-law saw the trailer, we were all WTF.

OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OXM-Madman
Agreed, the film gives very mixed feelings the first time you watch it, but it just becomes better and better the more you watch it. And the trailer is NOTHING compared to the actual film.