What are some good anime's to watch?

• 50 results
#1 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17595 posts) -

So after watching Attack on Titan recently and Sword Art Online even MORE recently, my love of anime has been rekindled and now I am craving more.

My main source to watch anime at the time is netflix so if you know of any good animes on there that would be awesome. Those who are unsure of the netfix selection however, I am open to just random recommendations of course.

But yes, I will be very thankful for some suggestions on what anime to start next. Really got that anime craving!

#2 Edited by Storm_Marine (11494 posts) -

What have you seen already? Samurai Champloo is a good place to start if you haven't seen it. I forget what else is on Netflix.

#3 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17595 posts) -

@Storm_Marine said:

What have you seen already? Samurai Champloo is a good place to start if you haven't seen it. I forget what else is on Netflix.

Ummm in terms of shows I have seen from beginning to end, there are the two in my OP plus FLCL, DBZ and I think that is it.

I have seen a lot of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun,and Inuasha back in the day thanks to Adult Swim but I never did get to catch the from beginning to end....

#4 Posted by Storm_Marine (11494 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Ummm in terms of shows I have seen from beginning to end, there are the two in my OP plus FLCL, DBZ and I think that is it.

I have seen a lot of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun,and Inuasha back in the day thanks to Adult Swim but I never did get to catch the from beginning to end....

Well then you have to see Death Note.

#5 Posted by lamprey263 (24412 posts) -

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, I was prepared to say Attack on Titan but you already watched that. I just got done with the Persona 4 anime the other week ago, it's good if you're a fan of the game.

#6 Posted by thehig1 (2584 posts) -

if you have not already seen it Gurren Lagann

is amazinmg, one of my favorite Anmies.

#7 Posted by LightR (17487 posts) -

If you have Netflix watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Kill la Kill. Crunchyroll is a free app that also streams anime.

#8 Posted by Seabas989 (10538 posts) -

Monster is another outstanding anime along with Baccano, Black Lagoon, Outlaw Star and Hellsing Utimate.

#9 Posted by RadecSupreme (4697 posts) -

I'd recommend Elfen lied if you want to watch something dark. Also Afro Samurai. and Cowboy Bebop I also recommend. Basilisk is another one I enjoyed.

#10 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -

"Animes", not "anime's".

#11 Edited by locus-solus (549 posts) -

on Netflix

• Fate/Zero
  • Madoka Magica
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood + movie

you may also want to checkout Funimation.com and Anime Network theyre both legal steeming site and their subscription arent very expensive (you can hook your pc up to your tv with a hdmi)

Funimation.com

• Serial Experiments Lain
  • Hellsing Ultimate (last two episodes aren't listened yet)
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Ergo Proxy
  • Eureka Seven

Anime Network

• Clannad and Clannad After Story
  • Elfen Lied

shows you should try to watch

• Mushi-Shi
  • Samurai x Trust and Betrayal
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion + Evangelion reboot
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (bloody expensive 550$ for blu rays)
  • Ghost in the Shell 1995 or Ghost in the Shell 2.0 the remake while pretty isn't as good as the original
  • Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
  • Ghost in the Shell Innocence
  • Code Geass
  • Death Note
  • Cowboy Bebop
#12 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

None. They all suck......

You can give monster a try.

#13 Posted by playmynutz (6140 posts) -

I was about to say Attack on Titan

#14 Edited by johnd13 (8441 posts) -

Aside from the ones already mentioned, check out Hellsing Ultimate. It's got vampires!

nvm just noticed someone else mentioned it

#15 Edited by Jag85 (4743 posts) -

Zeta Gundam & Gundam 00

Rurouni Kenshin

Death Note

Code Geass

Baccano!

Sword of the Stranger

Gurren Lagann

Clannad

Steins Gate

Asura

#16 Edited by ChuRsiBilLa (133 posts) -

well you should watch
gintama
kuroko no basuke
psycho pass
steins gate

ah well there are many other great animes.but i think you should start with psycho pass

#17 Edited by ChuRsiBilLa (133 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Zeta Gundam & Gundam 00

Rurouni Kenshin

Death Note

Code Geass

Baccano!

Sword of the Stranger

Gurren Lagann

Clannad

Steins Gate

Asura

except clannad other animes are good ...they said that clannad would make you cry but there were just 2 scenes in 50 whole fucking episodes ....but still you got some good collection

#18 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

I recommend Fate/Zero, definitely my favorite. And Hellsing Ultimate, the over-the-top action is charming as well as captivating.

#19 Posted by Yoshi9000 (397 posts) -

On netflix, I second fullmetal alchemist and samurai champloo

If you are somewhat of a social recluse/have social anxiety, I would recommend welcome to the nhk on netflix as well. Very realistic anime about a young man who has trouble getting out of his apartment to socialize and get a job/education. I know, seems stupid, but if you can relate to the problems each character has, the anime hits home hard and is very enjoyable. Apparently the anime can be pretty depressing, although to me it was only a little. But enough dark humor for comic relief.

#20 Edited by Storm_Marine (11494 posts) -

I veto all Cowboy Bebop suggestions. Incredibly overrated anime.

#21 Posted by Jag85 (4743 posts) -

@chursibilla said:

@Jag85 said:

Zeta Gundam & Gundam 00

Rurouni Kenshin

Death Note

Code Geass

Baccano!

Sword of the Stranger

Gurren Lagann

Clannad

Steins Gate

Asura

except clannad other animes are good ...they said that clannad would make you cry but there were just 2 scenes in 50 whole fucking episodes ....but still you got some good collection

Not sure what else you were expecting from Clannad? If a show can make people cry for a single scene, let alone 2 scenes, then I think that's pretty good.

#22 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29501 posts) -

Hmm I don't really know the Netflix selection. But in terms of some of the best anime out there (and I'm going to include movies because there are some great ones), I think you should definitely watch:
Monster
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Steins;Gate
Kara no Kyoukai (7+ movies)
Princess Mononoke (movie)
Perfect Blue (movie)
Paprika (movie)
Cowboy Bebop
Gintama
Rurouni Kenshin

And I don't think it's one of the best shows, but I personally love Yu Yu Hakusho. It's probably the most fun fighting anime I've seen.

#23 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is my personal favorite.

If you like those really long ones with dozens of story arcs like dbz, you may like bleach or fairy tail.

#24 Posted by ChuRsiBilLa (133 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@chursibilla said:

@Jag85 said:

Zeta Gundam & Gundam 00

Rurouni Kenshin

Death Note

Code Geass

Baccano!

Sword of the Stranger

Gurren Lagann

Clannad

Steins Gate

Asura

Not sure what else you were expecting from Clannad? If a show can make people cry for a single scene, let alone 2 scenes, then I think that's pretty good.

your taste.

#25 Posted by ChuRsiBilLa (133 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

If you like those really long ones with dozens of story arcs like dbz, you may like bleach or fairy tail.

bleach full of filler arcs hope you enjoy it to fullest. FT and OP are way better than bleach

#26 Posted by Motokid6 (5839 posts) -

How was Bleach not the first recommended anime? Show is greater then all of the above imo. Just skip the filler arcs ( Some aren't too bad though )

#27 Posted by theReturnoftheG (39 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"Animes", not "anime's".

It's "Anime"

No "s", just anime.

also, if what you are craving for is action anime, give Fate/Zero a try. Fantastic action, some of the best I have ever seen in animation, period.

Gurren Lagann is one of my personal favorites, Kill La Kill (made by a lot of the same people) ain't too shabby as well.

If you ever have the desire to put the action slightly aside for something more comedic check Nichijou, it's more of a slice-of-life but a very special one. Look for random clips on youtube and you'll understand.

#28 Edited by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Motokid6: No its not. How can you even recommend that is beyond me.

#29 Posted by FishySquash15 (45 posts) -

None because anime is terrible.

#30 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17595 posts) -

Sorry I haven't replied yet. Been busy working.

So I will be looking into seeing what is on netflix. I do think Fate/Zero is something I saw on there but I will double check.

Really wish Evangellion was on there. Would have gone straight to watching that if it was on netflix...

Oh and I am sorry but I have seen some episodes of Bleach before and have no interest in watching through the show...

#31 Edited by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

bleach full of filler arcs hope you enjoy it to fullest. FT and OP are way better than bleach

OP?

#32 Posted by flazzle (6488 posts) -

Deadman Wonderland was kind of fun. A little bit like a hunger games but in a prison.

#33 Posted by ChuRsiBilLa (133 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

OP?

one piece

#34 Posted by ChuRsiBilLa (133 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

if you have not already seen it Gurren Lagann

is amazinmg, one of my favorite Anmies.

yup GL got some plot and the characterization is also not bad especially that Kamina he's one hell of a guy

#35 Posted by Motokid6 (5839 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

Not in my opinion dude. If your gonna sit down, take the time to watch something Bleach is one of the best. The manga is on a roll too.

#36 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@jeager_titan said:

Not in my opinion dude. If your gonna sit down, take the time to watch something Bleach is one of the best. The manga is on a roll too.

Yeah. I watched all the 365/366 episodes of bleach. And my gripe with the anime is mainly Ichigo. Tuto doesn't know what to do with the character.

#37 Edited by uninspiredcup (9608 posts) -

I tend to not like modern day anime. Ninja Scroll is a great movie though. It has sex scenes bordering on hentai but it works into the world and story. It's essentially an interpretation of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo with mythical elements and much darker themes.

I dono what it is either, I prefer the animation to movies like Ninja Scroll over new anime. I think it's the faces and digital look.

#38 Posted by Motokid6 (5839 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

@Motokid6 said:

@jeager_titan said:

Yeah. I watched all the 365/366 episodes of bleach. And my gripe with the anime is mainly Ichigo. Tuto doesn't know what to do with the character.

Its just Dragonball Z with swords. That's the only reason I like it so much :p As for Ichigo, well... idk if your reading the Manga, but it seems that Tuto does have a conclusion for him. Heres hoping they pick up the Anime again because I really am enjoying the new arc.

#39 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Motokid6: The last few chapter were boring. Why doesn't Ichigo just beat the shit out of them quickly. I also hope that this arc doesn't have an disappointing ending as the arrancar arc. This is also one of the few reason that I don't recommend bleach to anyone.

#40 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

OP?

one piece

oh, derp :P

I watched the first episode of One Piece and thought it was terrible, does it get better?

#41 Posted by Jag85 (4743 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Zeta Gundam & Gundam 00

Rurouni Kenshin

Death Note

Code Geass

Baccano!

Sword of the Stranger

Gurren Lagann

Clannad

Steins Gate

Asura

A few more recommendations I'd add to my list:

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Princess Mononoke

Paprika

Angel Beats

Patema Inverted

#42 Posted by ChuRsiBilLa (133 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

OP?

one piece

I watched the first episode of One Piece and thought it was terrible, does it get better?

my opinion is yes.but after that sky island crap

#43 Posted by Jag85 (4743 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

OP?

one piece

Yes, it gets a whole lot better. Just like you, I hated the first episode, and dropped it for a few years. And then I picked it up again a few years later, gave it a chance, and ended up loving the show! It takes a while to pick up, but once it does, it gets really good, and addictive.

#44 Posted by Korvus (4640 posts) -

Not wanting to break GS forum rules but why are we limiting the choice of anime by whether it's on netflix or not? Back in Portugal we had maybe 2 anime shows on tv so I had to download most of them. All the anime I watched from subbers said "Free to download until licensed in North America"....if you can't find the anime available anywhere then shouldn't it still be ok to download? Or can you get it in dvd but not netflix?

#45 Posted by delete-EasyComeEasyGo (585 posts) -

@flazzle: The problem with Deadman Wonderland is that there are only 12 episodes because it did poor in Japan but however I will say that I actually enjoy it when Toonami first came back from the dead, the series was not slow paste, and I wouldn't say it's like the Hunger Games, more like mix with Battle royal and Super Jail. Also when you get to the last episode, you have to read the Manga from were it left off.

The manga is currently on hiatus, and the anime left several characters from the manga out completely, some of which turned out to have a crucial role in the plot. I would suggest reading the manga from the very start, because, as I mentioned, the anime made numerous changes to the manga. All in all, I enjoy the Anime back then, I look into that.

#46 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23905 posts) -

i don't like about 99.999% of those i have watched but i can say there are some great ones out there if you look long enough.

akira and grave of the fireflies are about the only two i really ever recommend people going out of their way to watch.

#47 Edited by theReturnoftheG (39 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@chursibilla said:

@Sword-Demon said:

OP?

one piece

the first 50 or so episodes of One Piece are really bad and annoying, but after that it improves on almost every aspect steadily and it's probably one of the most fun shonen, at least right now, even if it is super stretched out to a point of ridiculousness.

If sifting through 50~ episodes is too much just read synopsises and look up the characters in the wikis for it, and go from there on.

#48 Posted by yokofox33 (30020 posts) -

Get up on that Yu Yu Hakusho, School Rumble, GTO, and just about every Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film.

#49 Posted by Motokid6 (5839 posts) -

@jeager_titan: Disappointing because Ichigo lost his Soul Reaper powers? Yea.. that was kinda lame as was the fullbring arc, but once he got them back I really stated to enjoy it again.

The ending of the Arrancar arc is.. vague. You could say the arc ended after the fight with Ulquiorra ( which imo was the best moment of the whole anime ) or it ended after Aizen's defeat which too.. I found quite entertaining. But again the only thing that bumbed me out was Ichigos loss of power.

#50 Edited by thecruzan (94 posts) -

SWORD ART ONLINE AND YU YU HAKUSHO