What are some fun, exciting hobbies to get into?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts

I'm considering soon moving out of my parents home soon and living with a roommate. What I think would be a good idea when I do that is taking up a new, cool and exciting hobby to get into, besides video games. Imean, gaming is a somewhat expensive hobby, especially if you always want to keep up with it, moving into the next gen, stuff like that. Here are fun, exciting hobbies that I have in mind, and maybe you guys can add facts about them I should know about:

Learning an instrument and maybe even getting into a band: I could learn an instrument, and maybe get a few friends who are interested and we could form a band. Not a mainstream and become famous kind of band, though. Just a small, regular thing and we could play shows and stuff like that. Would we need to update our instruments with the times though? That would keep costing money.

Take up a sport, or extreme sport: Maybe I could play soccer or tennis and play that every once in a while. Or for something more exciting, outdoor rock climbing, learn to swim better and do scuba diving or surfing, and I'm sure there's lots of other extreme sports I don't know about.

Photography/making videos: This speaks for itself, I guess. Learn new software for editing and make cool music videos. Take cool snapshots, etc.

What can you guys add or give more info about. I won't give up gaming entirely. I'll still have my Wii, which I get games not so often, and the games for it will become cheaper, and I'm sure it would last me a really long time. Wii games and Gamecube games compatible, along with WiiWare and VC...I should be happy with just those. I might move into newer gen games though, but for now I'd like to know about newer hobbies like the ones I mentioned.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

All of those are expensive hobbies.

That said, take an art class. If you learn how to sculpt or draw, people are impressed by it and it's really not as hard as people imagine.

EDIT: This kind of falls into the realm of photography, but I find amateur nature photography to be pretentious.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Most of the stuff you've listed will probably end up costing you more than gaming ever will, and there's a good chance you won't stay interested in it long enough to make the investment worthwhile. Find a local athletic club or rec center, see what local sports teams are organizing, and find a sport to play. Some neighborhoods have local teams that play weekly at a local park.

If you're moving out on your own for the first time and you aren't a trust-fund baby, I seriously doubt you'll have the money to start scuba-diving.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Building robots.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Cultivation can be fun, have you considered venturing into the wild and wacky world of agriculture?
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cd_rom
Cultivation can be fun, have you considered venturing into the wild and wacky world of agriculture?xTheExploited
I actually know some hippies that start a rooftop agriculture club as a hobby. The whole club is actually self-funded now because they sell the produce in farmer's markets.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Fishing. It's cheap, you get to be out in nature and it's relaxing.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Cultivation can be fun, have you considered venturing into the wild and wacky world of agriculture?xTheExploited

Cultivation is kind of a fancy word for just gardening. :P

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Fishing (if you can) or Martial arts. I love doing both even though I suck at fishing since I do it once every blue moon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
I really suggest longboarding. There are many aspects of it to master, from bombing straight down a hill to sliding sideways, carving it up or doing tricks. It has become an obsession for me lately. Loaded is one of my favorite companies - watch the loaded newsletter videos on youtube to see if you think you'd like it. Rock climbing is also really great, but make sure you know what you're doing. Join a bouldering gym to meet other climbers and learn from them. Lastly, getting a nice road bike and exploring is really fun. Any hobby you get really into will be fun to post videos of yourself doing it on youtube, so you can tie in your photography stuff there.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I don't really consider gaming a hobby, more of just a time waster.

My hobbies are playing guitar and backpacking. Guitar I have been doing for 13 years, and my tip about learning that particular instrument would be to absolutely make sure to take a few lessons in the very beginning for some help learning about chords and the importance of scales. You'll really limit yourself if you only learn how to read tabs in the beginning.

Backpacking I only got into last year and it is extremely fun and rewarding. I really enjoy planning out trips and taking on hikes that are very challenging physically. I have seen many beautiful places in the Sierras that simply can't be seen without hiking in. There's really nothing like swimming in a perfectly clear high mountain lake with nobody else around for miles.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Gun collecting/shooting. 8)

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts

instruments are good, but the equipment needed for in a typical band (i.e. consisting of some combo of bass, guitar, drums, maybe a keyboardcertainly isn't cheap (drum kit about £300, guitar + amp for gigging £200+ etc.).

You could learn a 'classical' instument rather cheaply though, violins are dirt cheap and you can get a practice mute to massively reduce the volume and not force your roomate to kill you.

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
Cannabis
Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
Take up an instrument dude. Been playing bass for 10 years now. Has brought me some of the best times of my life. Touring in Quebec haha, to fun.
ploftkaploft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ploftkaploft
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Learn a new language or drawing. Pretty cheap and those are skills you can take for life.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

instruments are good, but the equipment needed for in a typical band (i.e. consisting of some combo of bass, guitar, drums, maybe a keyboardcertainly isn't cheap (drum kit about £300, guitar + amp for gigging £200+ etc.).

You could learn a 'classical' instument rather cheaply though, violins are dirt cheap and you can get a practice mute to massively reduce the volume and not force your roomate to kill you.

Richymisiak

Instrument rentals are always an option to. You don't want to sink a couple of hundred into an instrument and find out you hate it. It's always fun to decide you want to play music, but practicing is another thing altogether.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
writing stories.
VirtualAntics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 VirtualAntics
Member since 2008 • 556 Posts

All of those are expensive hobbies.

That said, take an art class. If you learn how to sculpt or draw, people are impressed by it and it's really not as hard as people imagine.

EDIT: This kind of falls into the realm of photography, but I findamateurnature photography to be pretentious.

cd_rom

Yup. Being an artist is pretty expensive too, especially as you have buy your own materials.

I'd say join a class or group at the local gym.

Alternatively, explore your region with like minded people. Look for inexpensive (but cultural) days or nights out. There's always a musical, theatrical/artistic or sport based event going on somewhere. Doesn't need to break the bank account, as long as it's fun.

ZombieNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 ZombieNoob
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

You asked do you need to update your instruments with time. That means you already have istruments ? If that is the caso, no, not necessarily. For instance, if your guitar don't sound good enough for you, nothing that distortion pedal can't change...well at least it will shape sound. So it won't be very expensive. On the other hand, if you don't have instruments, that is going to cost a lot. In that case try some sport or stick to the gaming

fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
otaku culture-anime it's awesome, it's the brother to gaming
action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts

Okay, I guess I should have done my research, then I would have known those were expensive hobbies. I guess maybe I'll just take up regular sports, and maybe some of those hobbies can be a once or twice in a lifetime thing.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Get a dog.
Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts
Quite a few people are getting into airsoft at the moment. That looks like fun.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Swordsmanship.

That or stalking. Both are rewarding hobbies.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

i say a sport. i did boxing and loved it. its good for your mental and physical well being.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cd_rom

Okay, I guess I should have done my research, then I would have known those were expensive hobbies. I guess maybe I'll just take up regular sports, and maybe some of those hobbies can be a once or twice in a lifetime thing.

action1234
I don't know where you live, but a lot of cities have clubs that you can join that provide a lot of the equipment for beginners. In my town there's: Frisbee golf Ultimate Frisbee Rock Climbing Jogging clubs A local chapter of Toastmasters which is a speech club (an EXTREMELY useful organization to join might I add) I would recommend jogging as a hobby. It's hard to get into, but after a few weeks you'll feel really sour if you go a day without a good run. The only thing I think you really need to buy are good shoes. You can buy the clothes and accessories, but they're not required.
Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
Learn magic tricks. Or contact juggling. Or how to throw cards. I can throw cards 50 feet and I'm in the process of teaching myself the first two things I mentioned. Manual dexterity hobbies are so much fun and they're great to show friends. Also working out can be fun.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Learning an instrument and maybe even getting into a band: I could learn an instrument, and maybe get a few friends who are interested and we could form a band. Not a mainstream and become famous kind of band, though. Just a small, regular thing and we could play shows and stuff like that. Would we need to update our instruments with the times though? That would keep costing money.

action1234

I definitely recemmend learning the guitar. Amazing instrument.

And yes, to start a band it might get expensive, but acoustic guitar as a hobby is darn good fun.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Drawing, painting, comics, trying to take over the world, play a instrument.

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

instruments ftw

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

Hiking is awesome

And free

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Theirs no such thing as a cheap hobby. I recommend drinking or doing drugs.

Oyeoyeoye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Oyeoyeoye
Member since 2007 • 479 Posts
Rock climbing isn't too expensive once you get past having all the necessary gear to do it.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Skateboarding. It looks cool and its fun, and also relatively easy to learn tricks.

Toastyawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Toastyawesome
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
learn the drums. or try warhammer @ a gamesworkshop store
EmergingRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EmergingRogue
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
A good hobby to get into is Modelling. And not the dress up kind of modelling. Table top Model gaming like Warhammer. Its a awesome hobby to get into.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#39 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Cliffdiving certainly gets the edge off :twisted::P
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Comics

Biking

Photography

and

Cooking

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
weight lifting/powerlifting is fun and rewarding to see your lifts go up, not to mention you'll be looking better pysichally
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

Teaching your pet rock tricks.

:x I've been trying to get mine to walk for ten years...

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I have to go with fishing too. You can get a relatively cheap rod and reel (under $100) and some tackle and catch dinner. Even if you don't catch any fish, enjoying a beer while ya drown some worms (if you are of legal age mind you) or minnows is a way to kick back and relax.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
knitting, it draws in quite the audience if you do it in the street. Guaranteed.
mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mr_poodles123
Member since 2009 • 1661 Posts
Airsoft. With 350 bucks, you can get everything you need to last for a long time. Games are typically around 6 hours or more, and they are held often. PM me for more details and I can help you out.
GREENSLIPPERS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GREENSLIPPERS
Member since 2009 • 1057 Posts

i draw and ride a bicycle.

IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts
Making/writing music is one of mine.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

I taken up instruments for my hobby and spent over £500 in one year which I had budget restricted. Still it's fun and the ladies love it but it cost signicantly more than gaming if you play the instrument more than occassionally but then again I'm just thinking of bass/guitar keyboard might be a suitable cost effective option.

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

Professional assassin. Exciting, dangerous, you get to travel and the pay is great.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#50 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
1 sport: Paintball. Too bad its major expensive...