Westboro Baptist Church Leader "On the Edge of Death"

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/15/fred-phelps-founder-of-the-god-hates-fags-westboro-baptist-church-is-on-the-edge-of-death/

I'm sure his wife, kids, and the scores of men he's secretly slept with over the years will be devastated.

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (88772 posts) -

Hopefully his death will lead to the groups disbandment. A cult cannot continue without it's charismatic leader.

#3 Posted by playmynutz (6071 posts) -

Patheos is latin

#4 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

#5 Posted by Masculus (2869 posts) -

It's time to meet our buddy Lucifer.

#6 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (8211 posts) -

We should all go protest at his funeral.

#7 Posted by Storm_Marine (11148 posts) -
@foxhound_fox said:

Hopefully his death will lead to the groups disbandment. A cult cannot continue without it's charismatic leader.

Scientology....

#8 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

lol Awesome idea.

#9 Posted by lonewolf604 (8526 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Steve Drain will take over.

#10 Edited by TheFlush (5571 posts) -

Good, now let's picket the funeral of this cunt.

#11 Posted by seahorse123 (1228 posts) -

Hopefullly that twisted old bag will rot in hell and that church to be closed down.

#12 Edited by ad1x2 (5678 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: I'm pretty sure his daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper has been running operations for the past few years and will have full control when Fred (Fucking Retarded Every Day)* kicks the bucket.

Since I live an hour away from Topeka I might stop by for shits and giggles if they have a funeral.

*No offense to good people named Fred

#13 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I concur. I've been thinking about a similar thing the past couple of days and I could not come up with a way to counter this inevitable fate.

#14 Posted by ferrari2001 (17004 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

Hopefullly that twisted old bag will rot in hell and that church to be closed down.

unfortunately they'll still be around for a while.

#15 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I concur. I've been thinking about a similar thing the past couple of days and I could not come up with a way to counter this inevitable fate.

too bad his family and friends are numerous and someone is ready to take his place

#16 Posted by Trender_man (137 posts) -

Glitter bomb the funeral

#17 Edited by Big_Pecks (5359 posts) -

Hallelujah.

#18 Edited by GazaAli (23007 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:

too bad his family and friends are numerous and someone is ready to take his place

Such cults and establishments almost always fall apart and eventually get dismantled after the death of their founders. Best case scenario is that they continue to exist only as a semblance of their former influence and mobilizing capacities.

#19 Posted by Serraph105 (28161 posts) -

I don't wish death on anyone, but I don't get particularly upset about the death of a person who spent their life spreading hatred.

#20 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

Satan probably thinks they are too wacko for hell.

#21 Posted by deeliman (2457 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@wis3boi said:

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Such cults and establishments almost always fall apart and eventually get dismantled after the death of their founders. Best case scenario is that they continue to exist only as a semblance of their former influence and mobilizing capacities.

They don't really have any influence. They're just 30 some inbreds who no one takes seriously.

#22 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

I don't wish death on anyone, but I don't get particularly upset about the death of a person who spent their life spreading hatred.

#23 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

@wis3boi said:

They don't really have any influence. They're just 30 some inbreds who no one takes seriously.

I concur, and I was talking in a relative manner.

#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (9006 posts) -
He will live on

#25 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6810 posts) -

God is good.

#26 Posted by Postosuchus (176 posts) -

Has anyone seen videos of Shirley Phelps? She might be even more crazy than the old man and seems like someone fully prepared to take over leadership. Assuming of course WBC isn't one of those "women are subservient property" type cults.

#27 Posted by airshocker (29928 posts) -

Excellent. Hopefully he rots in hell.

#28 Posted by DNA-Hole (41 posts) -
@speedfreak48t5p said:

I'm currently dusting off my leather biker daddy outfit for the occasion.

#29 Posted by MrGeezer (56566 posts) -

@TheFlush said:

Good, now let's picket the funeral of this cunt.

I hope you realize that doing so would validate what THEY did. People need to step back and take the high road on this one. Because think of the message it sends when people criticize the WBC for picketting funerals, and then those same critics picket the funeral of the WBC leader. If what they're doing is so freaking bad, then don't you do it too.

#30 Edited by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

CRAP:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

The whole notion of picketing a funeral is just obnoxious and cruel.

Stooping to that level, doing the very thing everyone despises WBC for doing ... really people?

While this is perhaps a natural thought to have, anyone who actually does this is basically demonstrating that under different circumstances they are capable of hateful acts WBC commits regularly.

#31 Edited by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

As I wrote in another topic.........................

If his own members picket his funeral I swear to God I'm gonna die laughing.

#32 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -
@Meinhard1 said:

CRAP:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Stooping to that level, doing the very thing everyone despises WBC for doing ... really people?

While this is perhaps a natural thought to have, anyone who actually does this is basically demonstrating that under different circumstances they are capable of hateful acts WBC commits regularly.

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

#33 Edited by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:
@Meinhard1 said:

CRAP:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Eh, I hope so. I don't visit OT enough anymore to know the personalities of any posters here.

#34 Posted by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

As a preface: Fred Phelps has been excommunicated from his church. This isn't mentioned in this topic.

@The-Apostle said:

As I wrote in another topic.........................

If his own members picket his funeral I swear to God I'm gonna die laughing.

There would be a kind of poetic irony to this. I'd laugh, to be honest.

#35 Posted by Slashless (10097 posts) -

His passing is a sad one, for a life of his length was marked with such bitter hatred that i pity the man. To live every day of your life, hating a majority of your neighbors for such hollow reasons. It's truly hell.

And please don't picket his funeral or support the idea. Why one would joyfully stoop to the level of something they despise is questioning.

#36 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8211 posts) -

@Meinhard1 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@Meinhard1 said:

CRAP:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Eh, I hope so. I don't visit OT enough anymore to know the personalities of any posters here.

I was obviously joking.

#37 Posted by Master_Live (14854 posts) -

Such a pity.

#38 Posted by lamprey263 (24229 posts) -

people should picket his funeral with hateful signs and not give his family a minute of peace to grieve

#39 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Meinhard1 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@Meinhard1 said:

CRAP:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I was obviously joking.

I laughed...

#40 Posted by lightleggy (16053 posts) -

If anything, I think it would be amazing (for real) if gay people would "form a ring" around the funeral to prevent it from being picket.

Seriously, thats way better than stooping to their level.

#41 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@wis3boi said:

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:

the entire family are lawyers, and this man was excommunicated...probably part of the plan

#42 Edited by lonewolf604 (8526 posts) -

Man, I'm sorry but it really infuriates me when I read comments on FB or on articles about this story about how "WBC doesn't represent real Christians". If anything, they know the bible better than most christians. Don't get me started on the whole "out of context" deal because they seem to know whole chapters from the top of their head.

#43 Posted by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

@lonewolf604 said:

Man, I'm sorry but it really infuriates me when I read comments on FB or on articles about this story about how "WBC doesn't represent real Christians". If anything, they know the bible better than most christians. Don't get me started on the whole "out of context" deal because they seem to know whole chapters from the top of their head.

When it comes to holy books it's not just about knowing them, but interpretation.

The views of WBC certainly aren't common among most clergy or biblical scholars. I'm sure The Pope knows the Bible very well, but he would certainly take issue with their hermeneutics.

#44 Posted by lonewolf604 (8526 posts) -

@Meinhard1 said:

@lonewolf604 said:

When it comes to holy books it's not just about knowing them, but interpretation.

The views of WBC certainly aren't common among most clergy or biblical scholars. I'm sure The Pope knows the Bible very well, but he would certainly take issue with their hermeneutics.

Interpretation just leads to more problems and conflict. "No, this really means this. No no no, it means this". The different sects can't even agree on one single interpretation.

#45 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@lonewolf604 said:

You're an idiot. The two largest Baptist denominations in the US do not support this hate group & have made it known. These fools twist the Bible to their liking just like terrorists do with the Muslim religion.

#46 Posted by lonewolf604 (8526 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@lonewolf604 said:

You're an idiot. The two largest Baptist denominations in the US do not support this hate group & have made it known. These fools twist the Bible to their liking just like terrorists do with the Muslim religion.

Twist the words? They quote direct passages. If anything, modern christianity IGNORES parts of the bible.

#47 Edited by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@lonewolf604 said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@lonewolf604 said:

Twist the words? They quote direct passages. If anything, modern christianity IGNORES parts of the bible.

So NO Christian groups whatsoever support these fools, but somehow you think they represent most or "real" Christians? You're funny bud lol.

#48 Edited by lonewolf604 (8526 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@lonewolf604 said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@lonewolf604 said:

So NO Christian groups whatsoever support these fools, but somehow you think they represent most Christians? You're funny bud lol.

Yes, because society as a collective whole has evolved, yet the religious folk have hijacked (for lack of a better word) modern values and beliefs. They think that the reason people today act "good" is because of religion, when its not. They interpret the bible to say things like "equality" and "peace and love" when in fact the bible only talks about god's elect, and jesus' followers.

#49 Edited by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@lonewolf604: LOL you're nuts man.

#50 Edited by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@lonewolf604 said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@lonewolf604 said:

Just because they quote direct passages doesn't mean jack. They do a terrible job interpreting the Bible. Almost all of Christianity can't stand that church. To say they represent most Christians is laughable at best.