We tortured some folks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@JimB said:

You have to do what you have to do to get the information while it is still useful. The people holding the information aren't going to give it to you over tea and crumpets.

^This.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@airshocker said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@airshocker said:

I'm perfectly fine with people being tortured to protect this country.

You shouldn't be, torture goes against our U.S. constitution.

Prisoners will also say anything just to stop the torture. Torture hurts the mind significantly, even the prisoners can have trouble telling truth from reality. It is a weak and ineffective method of obtaining information.

And I don't believe the Constitution applies to those who are trying to destroy the country that uses it.

Sometimes that's the case. Sometimes they tell the truth and the torture stops.

The constitution is our law. To make exceptions only makes us look inconsistent as a government.

How are you supposed to tell what the truth is? Unless you can read minds, you can't guarantee that the prisoner is speaking truthfully or falsely. Prisoners will likely give false information and end up wasting more time and resources for the people who need to confirm such suspecions.

And it does not apply to terrorists.

You have no idea what information a prisoner will give. You aren't an interrogator. Neither am I, that's why it's foolish to say it never works.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@GazaAli said:

So much asininity coming from such a handful yet deafening users its mind-numbing. Regardless whether torture works or not, that got nothing to do with the morality of the act. And before someone contends the relevancy of morality in such matters, let me just preemptively state that anyone who can see just a little farther than their nose should know just how crucial morality is to such matters, not just relevant. If the moral fabric of a nation dissolves and disintegrates so as to condone or exhibit apathy to atrocities and despicable depravities based on alleged utilitarian grounds then this nation would be effectively bringing about its own demise as opposed to perpetuating its existence through these acts. If a regime adopts certain morally questionable tactics and strategies to deal with affairs and issues of foreign nature with the rationale that they're not being used against its own citizenry, then it would be deluding either itself or the citizenry in question, or both because its really a matter of time before these very same morally questionable and atrocious tactics and strategies WILL be used to deal with issues of domestic nature. So for all those who are assenting to and applauding this shit I say: enjoy torture which is coming to you sooner than you might think.

If we were fighting a moral enemy that follows the rules of war, this would matter. We aren't, so it doesn't.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Hanns Scharff was a German Luftwaffe interrogator during World War II. Known as possibly the most effective interrogator in all of Nazi Germany, he was recruited by the United States because his techniques were humane and successful. Rather than torturing prisoners of war, he treated them well by giving them decent living conditions and respected their dignity.

I do not agree with Nazism, of course, but his techniques respect dignity. Torture does not. Despite thoughtlessly acting violently, terrorists do not lack the capability to think. That is something that we should remember. Otherwise, someone might underestimate them.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@airshocker said:

Would that also mean you'd be perfectly fine if another country tortured someone from the US or any other of the allied nations to protect their country?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Treflis said:

@airshocker said:

Would that also mean you'd be perfectly fine if another country tortured someone from the US or any other of the allied nations to protect their country?

They're already doing so. By cutting their fucking heads off.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

No surprise. Do find it funny how two years ago government officials and the CIA were slamming 'Zero Dark Thirty' for its portrayal of torture - saying it was inaccurate - ...yeah.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Treflis

@airshocker said:

@Treflis said:

@airshocker said:

So Is that a Yes or a No?
I'd assume it's a No but assumptions tend to be based on personal guessing and isn't needlessly correct.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Treflis said:

@airshocker said:

@Treflis said:

@airshocker said:

I'd assume it's a No but assumptions tend to be based on personal guessing and isn't needlessly correct.

No. We're not fighting nations, however. We're fighting organizations that aren't protected under the Geneva convention.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@ad1x2 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@airshocker said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@airshocker said:

You shouldn't be, torture goes against our U.S. constitution.

Prisoners will also say anything just to stop the torture. Torture hurts the mind significantly, even the prisoners can have trouble telling truth from reality. It is a weak and ineffective method of obtaining information.

And I don't believe the Constitution applies to those who are trying to destroy the country that uses it.

Sometimes that's the case. Sometimes they tell the truth and the torture stops.

The constitution is our law. To make exceptions only makes us look inconsistent as a government.

How are you supposed to tell what the truth is? Unless you can read minds, you can't guarantee that the prisoner is speaking truthfully or falsely. Prisoners will likely give false information and end up wasting more time and resources for the people who need to confirm such suspecions.

If you want to get technical the CIA was torturing non-citizens overseas where the U.S. Constitution doesn't have jurisdiction. It's frowned upon but nobody's constitutional rights are being violated since foreign nationals not present in the U.S. can't claim protection under our laws.

You could argue that the person doing the torture could possibly be charged under U.S. law or even attempt to build a case to try them for war crimes. That wouldn't change the fact that the Constitution isn't a factor on behalf of the person being tortured.

They are side stepping around it. Yes, they are not technically breaking our constitution, but it still inconsistent with our values.

I already mentioned my opinion on torture earlier. My post is just pointing out that from a legal standpoint we are not breaking any U.S. laws torturing some al Qaeda fighter we captured during a firefight in Iraq. True, if a soldier captured him the soldier can't torture him because of the UCMJ prohibiting it but once the terrorist is handed over to the CIA it's out of military's hands since they're civilians.

When it comes down to it, when you're like me with four combat deployments and you see the aftermath of insurgents slaughtering locals for helping coalition forces (one example is in 2005 during my second Iraq tour insurgents slaughtered a man and his whole family because he helped us build a checkpoint a few weeks earlier) it's hard to feel sorry for them and I'm not looking at it through rose-colored glasses based on biased news reports that people read on the Internet. But at the same time, torture is not something that I would want us to do on a regular basis since we're supposed to be better than them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#61  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@BranKetra said:

Hanns Scharff was a German Luftwaffe interrogator during World War II. Known as possibly the most effective interrogator in all of Nazi Germany, he was recruited by the United States because his techniques were humane and successful. Rather than torturing prisoners of war, he treated them well by giving them decent living conditions and respected their dignity.

I do not agree with Nazism, of course, but his techniques respect dignity. Torture does not. Despite thoughtlessly acting violently, terrorists do not lack the capability to think. That is something that we should remember. Otherwise, someone might underestimate them.

Do you honestly believe that being nice will accomplish anything? ask yourself why would you betray your country, friends family over bratwurst und sauerkraut.

And what you probably don´t take into account is the torture and hardship those people went through before they came to Mr. Nazi Scharff. Not to mention the use of threats like "hey give me info or we have a nice Gestapo office down the hall" or "Dont you need a shower soon, we have a special one just for you"

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Treflis

@airshocker said:
@Treflis said:

@airshocker said:

@Treflis said:

@airshocker said:

No. We're not fighting nations, however. We're fighting organizations that aren't protected under the Geneva convention.

And if those tortured are discovered are not part of the organizations but rather a civilian who do fall under the Geneva convention?

Collateral Damage?

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@airshocker said:

And it does not apply to terrorists.

You have no idea what information a prisoner will give. You aren't an interrogator. Neither am I, that's why it's foolish to say it never works.

I guess you missed my earlier post:

http://www.cgu.edu/pdffiles/sbos/costanzo_effects_of_interrogation.pdf

"As one CIA operative who participated in torture during the Vietnam War put it, “We had people who were willing to confess to anything if we would just stop torturing them” (Andersen, 2004, p. 3).Indeed, the Army Field Manual explains that strategically useful information is best obtained from prisoners who are treated humanely, and that information obtained through torture has produced faulty intelligence (Leahy, 2005)."

"However, many survivors of torture report that the truthful information they revealed was intentionally incomplete or mixed with false information (Harbury, 2005). The goal was to appease the torturer, not to reveal the truth. And, because the interrogators were not omniscient, they couldnot discern which bits of information were true and which were false. Misreading their victims, torturers often failed to recognize the truth and continued to inflict pain. Victims continued to disclose, often fabricating information to in an effort to stop the pain (Conroy, 2000; Haritos-Fatouros, 2003). Many survivors of torture report that they would have said anything to “make the torture stop” (Mayer,2005; McCoy, 2006). And, even in cases where torture may have preceded the disclosure of useful information, it is impossible to know whether less coercive forms of interrogation might have yielded the same or even better results."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Treflis said:

And if those tortured are discovered are not part of the organizations but rather a civilian who do fall under the Geneva convention?

Collateral Damage?

Indeed.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Treflis

@airshocker said:
@Treflis said:

Collateral Damage?

Indeed.

Fair enough.

I appreciate you took the time to indulge my curiousity.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By branketra

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

Do you honestly believe that being nice will accomplish anything? ask yourself why would you betray your country, friends family over bratwurst und sauerkraut.

And what you probably don´t take into account is the torture and hardship those people went through before they came to Mr. Nazi Scharff. Not to mention the use of threats like "hey give me info or we have a nice Gestapo office down the hall" or "Dont you need a shower soon, we have a special one just for you"

I do not have to believe it because I know kindness leads to accomplishments. Compassion, whether feigned or not, is at the core of American society. It is why the American Revolution occurred. The founders of America sought compassion from their British rulers in the form of representation for taxation. It is why the African-American Civil Rights movement was successful in ending de facto segregation in America, though Sunday remains the most segregated day of the week. Go to some churches to see for yourself.

Anyway, I actually did take into account the alternatives as likely did the prisoners of war and Americans who have learned from Scharff. I am uncertain why you say I probably do not as if it is likely I would be unaware of such a thing.

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#67  Edited By Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

Torture against the unconvicted is a criminal, immoral act.

Those who commit it are criminals. They are anti-american and cause hatred of my country. I will not be silent, as some suggest, as they work in my name and cause great harm to what my country stands for. They are enemies of the people and the state.

They have no right to decide who is and is not guilty and who is lowly enough to be treated as a subhuman. I live under law. They live under law. If they ignore to the great harm of others they deserve my scorn.

Torture against the convicted is sick and pointless. It is also a criminal and immoral act.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Airshocker remains the undisputed king of knuckle draggers. Pretty damn awesome. How lost has it been since kraychik left? Three years?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

No surprise. Do find it funny how two years ago government officials and the CIA were slamming 'Zero Dark Thirty' for its portrayal of torture - saying it was inaccurate - ...yeah.

Well... it kind of was. In Zero Dark Thirty the interrogators got shit loads of information using torture when in actuality during the Bush years torture methods yielded very little if any useful intelligence, as evidenced by this report.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#70 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

I do not have to believe it because I know kindness leads to accomplishments. Compassion, whether feigned or not, is at the core of American society. It is why the American Revolution occurred. The founders of America sought compassion from their British rulers in the form of representation for taxation. It is why the African-American Civil Rights movement was successful in ending de facto segregation in America, though Sunday remains the most segregated day of the week. Go to some churches to see for yourself.

Anyway, I actually did take into account the alternatives as likely did the prisoners of war and Americans who have learned from Scharff. I am uncertain why you say I probably do not as if it is likely I would be unaware of such a thing.

But you forget that in the case of the german, the only reason kindness worked was because they already had or were facing torture. Its the good old "good/Bad cop" routine and that works but you cannot deny that torture also works, does it work all the time , no its not a sure fire way, like with kindness it works sometimes and sometimes it dont.

Anyways how do you imagine the same tactics would work today? most are terrorists and not wanted by their home country and in most cases haven't done anything that would pass go in most western legal systems. Not to mention that most are religous fanatics who for most would gladly blow themselfs up. So how do you get intel out of them unless you use torture, how do you see kindness would work?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Well... it kind of was. In Zero Dark Thirty the interrogators got shit loads of information using torture when in actuality during the Bush years torture methods yielded very little if any useful intelligence, as evidenced by this report.

Et tu Alijosa? The torture in the film did not get "shit loads of information". The main torture shown, in the beginning, was not useful at the time. It wasn't until YEARS later, when they sat down with the original individual and had an actual conversation that they began to put the pieces together. Did they get information? Yes. The report shows that some individuals who were put through torture gave up bits of information - including the one who gave up the courier info at the beginning of the film. But it wasn't torture alone that led to results. Plus, the main criticisms thrown at the film were that those forms of torture were not used...which the report contradict. It specifically mentions things such as chaining people upright, etc.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

For those arguing with airshocker...

Do you think it is at all possible for one to have a civilized conversation about moral responsibility with a sociopath?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

They deserved it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Et tu Alijosa? The torture in the film did not get "shit loads of information". The main torture shown, in the beginning, was not useful at the time. It wasn't until YEARS later, when they sat down with the original individual and had an actual conversation that they began to put the pieces together. Did they get information? Yes. The report shows that some individuals who were put through torture gave up bits of information - including the one who gave up the courier info at the beginning of the film. But it wasn't torture alone that led to results. Plus, the main criticisms thrown at the film were that those forms of torture were not used...which the report contradict. It specifically mentions things such as chaining people upright, etc.

You're probably right I haven't seen the film since it came out so my details on it are fuzzy lol. I don't remember disliking it at the time though. I really should watch it again.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By branketra

@Jacanuk said:

But you forget that in the case of the german, the only reason kindness worked was because they already had or were facing torture. Its the good old "good/Bad cop" routine and that works but you cannot deny that torture also works, does it work all the time , no its not a sure fire way, like with kindness it works sometimes and sometimes it dont.

Wait a minute. This is the same thing you said I did not take into account reiterated. I am not going to go back and forth with you about this; I understand the scenario that the prisoners of war were in during World War II when faced with Scharff or the alternatives. Please understand that.

Anyways how do you imagine the same tactics would work today? most are terrorists and not wanted by their home country and in most cases haven't done anything that would pass go in most western legal systems. Not to mention that most are religous fanatics who for most would gladly blow themselfs up. So how do you get intel out of them unless you use torture, how do you see kindness would work?

You seem to be of the opinion that terrorists are beyond reason. When they commit acts of violence, I would agree. I do not agree that such a mentality is without change or a constant. That is because human beings are creatures of change. Not only do we age, but our minds alter. Science calls it neuroplasticity. If they can be indoctrinated into thinking one way, they can most certainly be changed to think another. The agent of change, an interrogator, is an instructor of sorts.

During WWII or any war, for that matter, impending death and other less than ideal living standards are present. Scharff took POWs out of that terrible situation and gave them decent standards of living during their stay at his facilities. I argue that great change in standards of living was very important in relaxing the POWs so much that they gave Allied information without even knowing it.

We can relate Scharff's techniques to other methods of persuasion. Criminals in Sweden are being rehabilitated rather than punished and the decrease in repeat offenders is low, and crime in general has diminished since choosing to treat their prisoners in a dignified way. Their mentalities before entering rehabilitation were one which viewed committing crimes as acceptable. After that, many of them were of a different opinion.

Contrasting that is a system which uses punishment to enact justice. America utilizes it. I argue there are a high amount of incarcerations and repeat offenders because of it. Similar to torture, one seeks to use positive reinforcement to bring about acceptable behavior. Imprisonment takes away freedom, a seemingly negative reinforcement, but contextually it replaces living conditions with new ones, a positive reinforcement (psychologically speaking).

One method has a high success rate of acquisition of honest information and, in another context, reform while the other is not as sure to result in less crime or acquisition of said information.

Our categorization of one person as a POW and another as a terrorist has obfuscated the truth from some that they are both human beings with ideals and mentalities can change within either.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@commonfate: It beats getting no information there by increasing the danger to the people. I will take my chances on any information we can get by any means possible and be alive to debate how we got the info.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

The problem I see, besides it's ineffectiveness, is that it creates the resources and the urge to use it whenever enemies may be different. It's already been shown that the U.S. is willing to engage in assassination campaigns against it's own citizens. Why not torture (that is, it's own citizens)?, it's a lesser crime than murder. Fact is, no state, even a relatively free democracy such as the U.S. is immune to the urge to opress and delve into authoritarian practices. Degeneration of the political system seens to be a trait common to many democracies, that's why such acts should be as clandestine and tabu as possible, imo (if not completely forbidden).

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#78 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

@Renevent42 said:

Just watched McCain's comments on the report...couldn't agree with him more. Should have voted for him instead looking back now...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/politics/mccain-lauds-release-terror-report/index.html

"I have often said, and will always maintain, that this question isn't about our enemies; it's about us. It's about who we were, who we are and who we aspire to be. It's about how we represent ourselves to the world"

<Fist pump>

Ya, he is right.

Im normally not for republicans but when it comes to taking no shit from anyone, they are the best. Obama have done nothing but act all "oh we are soooo sorry, please come and take a piss on us" which is why Putin is acting the way he is, he can smell weakness and he is taking advantage of it.

Yeah, if only Obama wasn't such a sissy Putin would NEVER have invaded Georgia. Oh wait, that was during Bush's presidency. I meant he would never have waged brutal war on the Chechens. What? That was under Republicans too? Putin did what he did because he feels its right for the long term interests of Russia and maybe because he is trying to defray short term dissatisfaction. He did it the way he did it because he is an authoritarian prick,

No, I don't regret not voting for Mr. "I want an 80 front war and I want it now" McCain

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

I'm all for executing every last terrorist. I do, however, take issue with torture for some of the reasons stated in this thread.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#80 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

@airshocker said:

Bush/McCain fan.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@CommandoAgent said:

@airshocker said:

Bush/McCain fan.

Except McCain is a well known advocate against torture. Way to be informed.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Master_Live

Loading Video...
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Wait till the U.S empire completely falls only then will people know the enormity of U.S government's crimes. It's just crazy that something like this which every nation would try to cover has hit the news. It shows the degree and depth of these inhumane torture methods and the barbarity of the torturers. There are more effective torture methods (that can't really be called torture since they don't harm your mind or body but they WILL exhaust you in a matter of hours) and yet CIA has implemented these savage torture methods and it seems to me that they didn't use these godawful methods to extract information but rather to enjoy themselves and satisfy their sick desire for torturing people. In my opinion this report alone can call for a complete reform of the CIA from head to toe.

And for people to call this a necessary evil. LOL. You people should change the name of your country from U.S to "the land of the hypocrites."

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Master_Live

@Aljosa23 said:

You're dealing with people's lives and their physical and psychological wellbeing here, there is absolutely NO room for error.

Sure there is.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Master_Live

I'm absolutely with that CINO, retrograde, big government dinosaur by the name of John McCain on this one.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I find it crazy that anyone here thinks torture is okay... you're supposed to be better than the bad guys, not do horrible things to them because they might plan to do horrible things to us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thebest31406 said:

Do you think it is at all possible for one to have a civilized conversation about moral responsibility with a sociopath?

Somebody is upset.

Disagrees with me, must be a sociopath. Nice logic there.

I'm sorry that I don't believe the people trying to murder us should be given any of our rights. That doesn't make me a sociopath.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@LordQuorthon said:

Airshocker remains the undisputed king of knuckle draggers. Pretty damn awesome. How lost has it been since kraychik left? Three years?

Thanks, I guess? Somebody has to have a backbone. While the rest of you wring your hands in faux outrage for the horrible things done to people who wouldn't think twice of doing worse to you, some people have to do things to keep others safe.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@airshocker said:
@LordQuorthon said:

Thanks, I guess? Somebody has to have a backbone. While the rest of you wring your hands in faux outrage for the horrible things done to people who wouldn't think twice of doing worse to you, some people have to do things to keep others safe.

No, it has nothing to do with having a backbone. That just sounds utterly pathetic. Besides the fact that torture is a depraved and immoral act, it has been shown throughout this thread to be incredibly ineffective at garnering useful information. Several people in this thread have shown how ineffective torture is, and I myself posted evidence in this thread showing how the use of torture is a terrible tactic for gathering information.

"Some people have to do things to keep others safe." How it committing torture keeping people safe? Torture produces more inaccurate and unreliable information than the actual facts. So inaccurate information keeps people safe? If the information is useless, then what purpose does the torture serve? The only conclusion to draw from this is that the torture is to merely inflict pain on the victim. All it has shown is that the US is no better than these terrorists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@StrifeDelivery said:

@airshocker said:
@LordQuorthon said:

No, it has nothing to do with having a backbone. That just sounds utterly pathetic. Besides the fact that torture is a depraved and immoral act, it has been shown throughout this thread to be incredibly ineffective at garnering useful information. Several people in this thread have shown how ineffective torture is, and I myself posted evidence in this thread showing how the use of torture is a terrible tactic for gathering information.

"Some people have to do things to keep others safe." How it committing torture keeping people safe? Torture produces more inaccurate and unreliable information than the actual facts. So inaccurate information keeps people safe? If the information is useless, then what purpose does the torture serve? The only conclusion to draw from this is that the torture is to merely inflict pain on the victim. All it has shown is that the US is no better than these terrorists.

It is not an immoral act if it's being committed for a worthwhile reason.

You can post whatever you want, dude. Nothing you say is going to change the fact that torture sometimes works.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@airshocker said:

@thebest31406 said:

Somebody is upset.

Disagrees with me, must be a sociopath. Nice logic there.

I'm sorry that I don't believe the people trying to murder us should be given any of our rights. That doesn't make me a sociopath.

That' wasn't the argument at all, thick one.

Human rights are not ours to give and.attempting to justify any sort of abject, deprived and immoral act towards another, for any reason does indeed make you a sociopath.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

I find it interesting how people supporting this use words such as "I'm ok with this because they're terrorists, they deserve it". How can you possibly know that only terrorists were tortured? It's almost certain that innocent people were tortured. So you guys are ok with this too? Is this what the US stands for now? Or is this just what you tell yourself to avoid facing reality?

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#94  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

@nunovlopes: it's actually spot on correlated to American values

not surprised really

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Master_Live

I would like for people who aren't US citizens on OT to not overlook those of us who are against torture instead of just painting everyone with a fucking broad brush.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#96  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

@GazaAli said:

From the article:

"threatened with mock executions and threats that their relatives would be sexually abused."

"When he finally was told, Bush expressed discomfort about the "image of a detainee, chained to the ceiling, clothed in a diaper, and forced to go to the bathroom on himself,"

"In many cases, the most aggressive techniques were used immediately, in combination and nonstop,"

"In one facility, a detainee was said to have died of hypothermia after being held "partially nude" and chained to a concrete floor, while at other times, naked prisoners were hooded and dragged up and down corridors while being slapped and punched."

"Multiple CIA detainees subjected to the techniques suffered from hallucinations, paranoia, insomnia and tried to mutilate themselves, the report says."

"On one occasion, high-value al Qaeda suspect Abu Zubaydah became completely unresponsive after a period of intense waterboarding. He had "bubbles rising through his open full mouth," the report says."

"The report finds that at least 119 detainees went through the CIA detention program and at least 26 were held "wrongfully," partly because there was no information to justify their detention." (It must have sucked to be one of these 26)

What a cutting edge utopia you guys have there.

didn't know it was possible, but it seems ISIS just got knocked to second place as the worlds biggest fuckery

congrats US

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@airshocker said:

Even if they are innocent?

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@airshocker said:

Are you also perfectly fine with Americans' being tortured to protect other countries from American aggression?

If not, then why the double standard?

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#99 Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

Jack Bauer comes to mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thebest31406 said:

That' wasn't the argument at all, thick one.

Human rights are not ours to give and.attempting to justify any sort of abject, deprived and immoral act towards another, for any reason does indeed make you a sociopath.

You have no argument. Sorry, that's not what a sociopath is.