WAYR: Spring Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Well, it's almost spring, anyway.

What are you reading, OT? I just finished this truly phenomenal book called Red Rising by Pierce Brown.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Rendevous with Rama. Enjoying it so far

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I'm reading my literally broken copy of A Clash of Kings. It is torn in half and missing pages. Technically it is two books now. Thus is the quality of Mass Market Paperback.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

The bone clocks by David Mitchell, which I am enjoying quote a bit.

Some of the fantasy elements irked me because the lingo stuff was a bit hokey and suffocating since it was just this torrent of nonsense, but thankfully the other stuff made up for it. And the silly word stuff got a bit better as you became more accustomed to it.

Also rereading house of leaves

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Currently reading book 1 of the Preacher comic series and I plan on reading Lullaby by Chuck Palahiuk after that.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Would rather eat that book than reread.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I'm just re-reading Star Wars books Darth Bane Trilogy since they are great books that I enjoy. Darth Bane, the founder who created The Rule of Two.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@Storm_Marine: I enjoyed quite a bit

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Just finished the BBC 'Doctor Who' novel 'Engines of War' today. Next up, Marc Maron's 'Attempting Normal'.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It's really good. Basically a chronicle on Obamacare (and US healthcare in general) from a brief history of healthcare in the US, to the drafting (and lobbying) process of it, to the aftermath until present day. He spends a lot of the book acknowledging the absurdity of the system and how it's meant to serve insurance companies, drug companies, hospitals, and medical instruments companies. His thesis is that despite how Obamacare was created with positive intentions it's still a hugely flawed bill and merely tries to cover up the problems rather than actually reform them. The author seems pretty level-headed and fair so it's worth reading regardless of your opinions on the bill.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@dave123321 said:

The bone clocks by David Mitchell, which I am enjoying quote a bit.

Some of the fantasy elements irked me because the lingo stuff was a bit hokey and suffocating since it was just this torrent of nonsense, but thankfully the other stuff made up for it. And the silly word stuff got a bit better as you became more accustomed to it.

That's what bothers me about a lot of fantasy. Sometimes the wordage is just shoved down your throats that it feels like you're trying to learn a new language instead of enjoying a story.

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ashbee
Member since 2015 • 383 Posts

The best of HP Lovecraft

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks

Warbringer by Brandon Sanderson

Revival by Stephen King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@ashbee said:

The best of HP Lovecraft

The Outsider is my favorite story.

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ashbee

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

The best of HP Lovecraft

I'm really enjoying all of these. The way he writes makes for a good out loud reading when nobody is home, which is what I have been doing.

I also have the Gunslinger with me when I need a break from him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@ashbee said:

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

The best of HP Lovecraft

I'm really enjoying all of these. The way he writes makes for a good out loud reading when nobody is home, which is what I have been doing.

At the Mountains of Madness is also good. Been a long time since I read HP Lovecraft, I bought Barnes and Nobles' complete set of his fiction which is sitting on my bookcase with all of my other hardcovers.

Never could get into Stephen King, though. I feel like he has diarrhea of the word processor sometimes. Every few months I have the urge to try and finish The Stand, but I get a few more pages into it and then I just want to kill myself.

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ashbee

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

The best of HP Lovecraft

At the Mountains of Madness is also good. Been a long time since I read HP Lovecraft, I bought Barnes and Nobles' complete set of his fiction which is sitting on my bookcase with all of my other hardcovers.

Never could get into Stephen King, though. I feel like he has diarrhea of the word processor sometimes. Every few months I have the urge to try and finish The Stand, but I get a few more pages into it and then I just want to kill myself.

Stephen King is incredibly nostalgic for me, as he was one of my favorites as a child. His characters don't develop and remain relatively static and unchanged which can become a problem for a lot of readers. I read his stories plainly for fear, and some of his earlier works are genuinely entrancing stories. As a writer, he has made his fame on being prolific. I can't read too many of his books one after the other but they are a nice segway after reading a denser novel like HP. I'm also partial to all horror genres and can't bear to tear them apart too drastically. :)

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@davillain-: Cool, seems interesting!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@dylandr: First book was great, second book was great too but was not as good as the first one. Third one was terrible and I felt was too convuluted. Despite the third book, I have to say that I still enjoyed the series and Darth Bane is one of my favorite Star Wars character as a result. I really liked Darth Zannah. Only part of the books I thought were bad was the stuff with the princess chick in the third book. Apart from that, I pretty much liked all three the same. Plus, Darth Bane has always been so important to the Sith Order and especially when he created The Rule of Two.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@davillain-: hehe might gonna read it if i can get my hands on the physicall copies...

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@ashbee said:

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

The best of HP Lovecraft

Stephen King is incredibly nostalgic for me, as he was one of my favorites as a child. His characters don't develop and remain relatively static and unchanged which can become a problem for a lot of readers. I read his stories plainly for fear, and some of his earlier works are genuinely entrancing stories. As a writer, he has made his fame on being prolific. I can't read too many of his books one after the other but they are a nice segway after reading a denser novel like HP. I'm also partial to all horror genres and can't bear to tear them apart too drastically. :)

The thing about King's stories is that they are very rarely about the plot. They are about what a certain set of characters would do in a given situation. After reading his memoir On writing (which was pretty dope IMO) it makes sense, because that's exactly how he described his writing process. IMO he does a good job of making you give a shit even with some of his more ridiculous premises (Christine just sounds like a dumb idea and it is but I really enjoyed the book as a dark coming of age tale). The end result is that his characters usually feel like real people (although his dialogue can be more corny than shit after Thanksgiving) and that's why I enjoy reading him. Of course, with someone as prolific as he is he is bound to have a few books that just don't do it for everyone. Hell, he's one of my favorite authors and there are quite a few of his books I didn't really enjoy (Tommyknockers, the last three Dark Tower books, Rose Madder was very hit or miss and honestly the more I think about it the more I hated Doctor Sleep, a book that had infinite potential and turned out mediocre).

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ashbee

@turtlethetaffer said:

@ashbee said:

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

@airshocker said:

@ashbee said:

The best of HP Lovecraft

The thing about King's stories is that they are very rarely about the plot. They are about what a certain set of characters would do in a given situation. After reading his memoir On writing (which was pretty dope IMO) it makes sense, because that's exactly how he described his writing process. IMO he does a good job of making you give a shit even with some of his more ridiculous premises (Christine just sounds like a dumb idea and it is but I really enjoyed the book as a dark coming of age tale). The end result is that his characters usually feel like real people (although his dialogue can be more corny than shit after Thanksgiving) and that's why I enjoy reading him. Of course, with someone as prolific as he is he is bound to have a few books that just don't do it for everyone. Hell, he's one of my favorite authors and there are quite a few of his books I didn't really enjoy (Tommyknockers, the last three Dark Tower books, Rose Madder was very hit or miss and honestly the more I think about it the more I hated Doctor Sleep, a book that had infinite potential and turned out mediocre).

I feel differently from you in that I feel like his characters are bare bones and I have trouble seeing them as real people. Oftentimes that works for me, and some of the books you listed that you disliked I absolutely loved, haha. I think he is incredibly easy to read and enjoy but a lot of that is due to his (less is more) with some aspects of what is frightening the characters. When I get drowned in detail by HP, I can live in the moment with King.
That's not to say I feel that way about all of his characters, Trash Man and a few others really seemed complicated and complete to me. In the end, a lot of it comes down to taste and I can understand people who aren't crazy about King, but his writing process has worked pretty well for plenty of other people, me and you included. :)

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Large_Soda said:

my wife just finished this and loved it. i need to steal her kindle...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Large_Soda said:

Also a fantastic book. Watney is a great character.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I finally got around to reading The Elements of Style and I'm almost done with it. Although I came with lukewarm expectations as whether the book will actually introduce much value to me, I was pleasantly surprised I have to say; it has been a sort of an eye-opener. If someone would recommend more works examining English prose and style in a concise and adequately comprehensive manner I'd be indebted to them.

I'm also almost done with my third read of the republic. No matter how vigorously and scrupulously I try to examine the work, I remain unable of fully comprehending it; I'm always left in an amalgam of awe and perplexity.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Fifty Shades Freed. I found the first book laughable so I'm continuing on to see if her writing improves. It hasn't yet.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

It took me two-and-a-half weeks, and I still don't think I've grasped all the subtleties of the plot.